test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New player question

samuelmsrsamuelmsr Member Posts: 13 Arc User
I played this game for a bit right after it first launched then went back to other games I was playing.

I would like to jump in and start playing, I am just wondering if it is worth it. Is it possible for a new player to really get into the game and be successful at this point?

I have noticed that in games like this (like Eve for instance) it is just darn near impossible for a new player to do anything and only the veterans are enjoying the game.

Is there a server that is recommended? A server that is more populated than others?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Any information that would help me to get a good start.

Thanks!!

Comments

• nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    There's just one non-test server, so nothing to recommend.

As for new player friendliness... It depends. You mentioned Eve, this game is actually not very much like it, it's a more standard PvE-focused game with raids... And, as long as you know what you're doing most of the content is doable with the stuff any new player can get. Doesn't mean more grindy/real money expensive things aren't nice to have, but what would be the point otherwise.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    samuelmsr wrote: »
    I would like to jump in and start playing, I am just wondering if it is worth it. Is it possible for a new player to really get into the game and be successful at this point?

The game is exceptionally casual friendly and as a result there's very little in the game you can't do on the first try. The only difference between the vets a newbies is expensiveness of the gear.
    Is there a server that is recommended? A server that is more populated than others?

It's all the same server.
    Any information that would help me to get a good start.

1. You'll see some players complain about reputation grind. Ignore them. They have't the faintest clue what an MMO grind looks like. Reptutation grind is a minimal daily effort in this game and if you don't want to take a rep to the end you don't have to in order to play the content. They just make things easier.
    2. The skills are being redone soon. Right now it's all about DPS and that limits what players are willing to make buy and sell but maybe the new skills will nerf that a bit. So don't get too wrapped up in it.
    3. Don't worry if you don't have the best gear for your rank until you're in the Delta Quandrant. Those guys are a pain.
    4. Take your time. Stop to smell the Gorn.

As for player friendliness....

You should probably turn off the chat window until the American elections are over.
    <3
  • samuelmsrsamuelmsr Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    twg042370 wrote: »

The game is exceptionally casual friendly and as a result there's very little in the game you can't do on the first try. The only difference between the vets a newbies is expensiveness of the gear.

It's all the same server.
    Any information that would help me to get a good start.

1. You'll see some players complain about reputation grind. Ignore them. They have't the faintest clue what an MMO grind looks like. Reptutation grind is a minimal daily effort in this game and if you don't want to take a rep to the end you don't have to in order to play the content. They just make things easier.
    2. The skills are being redone soon. Right now it's all about DPS and that limits what players are willing to make buy and sell but maybe the new skills will nerf that a bit. So don't get too wrapped up in it.
    3. Don't worry if you don't have the best gear for your rank until you're in the Delta Quandrant. Those guys are a pain.
    4. Take your time. Stop to smell the Gorn.

As for player friendliness....

You should probably turn off the chat window until the American elections are over.

LOL Thanks for the info, ya I am a veteran MMO player, have been PC gaming since the late 80s and online playing since Diablo. Played MMOs since EQ1 was in beta. I have gone through some rep grinds that made me want to shoot myself, hang myself and cut my wrists all at the same time, its part of online gaming...

As far as chat goes, I know what to ignore and what not to.

What about guilds? Are there any really good noob friendly guilds out there? Especially adult ones, run by adults, full of adults (the kids can go play by themselves thanks).
    nebfab wrote: »
    There's just one non-test server, so nothing to recommend.

As for new player friendliness... It depends. You mentioned Eve, this game is actually not very much like it, it's a more standard PvE-focused game with raids... And, as long as you know what you're doing most of the content is doable with the stuff any new player can get. Doesn't mean more grindy/real money expensive things aren't nice to have, but what would be the point otherwise.

Thank you for the info!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Many (most?) people treat STO as a single-player game that offers PUG raids at endgame. You can play 99% of the content without doing any grouping.

If you enjoy the story episodes, yes you can do them all without spending any money or being held back by being new.

The only places you'll fail are advanced/elite endgame raids, and PVP. PVP is very broken, and is also the one part of the game that is pay to win. Stick with PVE and be happy.
    Many (most?) people treat STO as a single-player game that offers PUG raids at endgame. You can play 99% of the content without doing any grouping.

If you enjoy the story episodes, yes you can do them all without spending any money or being held back by being new.

The only places you'll fail are advanced/elite endgame raids, and PVP. PVP is very broken, and is also the one part of the game that is pay to win. Stick with PVE and be happy.

Thanks, I NEVER PvP in any game, EVER. I hate it, it brings out all the kids and trolls and all it does is give me a headache.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    Its not a pvp game. If that is what you seek, you probably won't like it and yes, it will take a LONG time to earn gear that is competetive at the top level.

PVE, you can be doing the most difficult content after a fairly short time, but I would not try to do it this way. The ride to level 70 is FUN and you should try to enjoy it rather than try to run past it. I would argue that the game is MORE fun for new players who can take this period at their own pace than for us vets who have seen it all!

At max level, a few people (its really not that high a %) can solo most group content and can ruin the experience for everyone else by doing a drive by all dead we win game over epeen run to show off. I think I can remember maybe 5 of these type runs since about Christmas last year, so its not as big a deal as people make out.

Most folks make do with modest gear and damage levels just fine, and enjoy the game casually. Its not a hard game with super difficult group stuff that kills you or needs a 50 player "raid". Its a casual game and as another said, you can all but solo if you want to do so.

Here is what I would do. Play it to max level at your own pace as if it were a single player game. When you get there, decide if you like it enough to keep playing.
    It may not matter anyways, it took me forever to get the game installed to begin with, when using the ARC installer it only downloaded a tiny bit then stopped and would not open. I opened it through the STO launcher and it downloaded the rest. Now when I open it the game just sits at "Loading...." and won't go any further.
    Their download server isnt bad, I see 10-20 MB/s when I patch usually. Odd that it took a long time.

I dunno whats wrong but I think there is an install fix / verify in there somewhere. I will try to find it.
    crypticerror.exe says it will pull the game's info and send it back but I don't know if it helps individually or just is a form of crash reporting.

I can't find it in arc, but I think somewhere there is an install verify in arc somewhere. Maybe someone else knows where it is. Maybe i am thinking steam.
    I got it to launch
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Quick tip - it does make the weekly maintenance patches a little larger and take longer but uncheck on-demand patching (you will find this under options on the launcher), while having this checked allows you to only download the minimum updates required to get the game running, it also increases load time between maps/content as the game downloads the necessary files for each new area you enter.
    noroblad wrote: »
    crypticerror.exe says it will pull the game's info and send it back but I don't know if it helps individually or just is a form of crash reporting.

I can't find it in arc, but I think somewhere there is an install verify in arc somewhere. Maybe someone else knows where it is. Maybe i am thinking steam.
    You will also see a box marked force verify in launcher options - this should be your first port of call when things don't load - checking this and unchecking on-demand then hitting save will force the game to check all the files are up to date and not corrupted. (It also saves a lot of time if you ever post issues in the support section of the forum, as it is likely to be the first advice you get :smile: )
    I have had time now to play for about 8 hours, such an odd game lol

Not saying I am not enjoying it, just so different from any other MMO I have played, it's like they tossed out the MMO handbook and wrote their own. :smiley:
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Not saying I am not enjoying it, just so different from any other MMO I have played, it's like they tossed out the MMO handbook and wrote their own. :smiley:

That implies that saw the handbook to begin with...

HAHAHA! Good point, I am liking it enough that I subscribed for a month. I will play it this month for sure. It is just so odd to do most things in space, I am so used to running around on the ground.

There is so much for me to learn! I cant even figure out what 75% or so of the TRIBBLE on my screen is for hahahaha
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

HAHAHA! Good point, I am liking it enough that I subscribed for a month. I will play it this month for sure. It is just so odd to do most things in space, I am so used to running around on the ground.

There is so much for me to learn! I cant even figure out what 75% or so of the TRIBBLE on my screen is for hahahaha

That's totally fine and completely normal. Some of the things you see on your screen aren't even used until later levels of the game, so you some of it simply doesn't do anything yet. STO is definitely a game that's best learned by just playing it.

Since you did the one month subscription, you have unlocked some of the more needed feature like more inventory and bank space, as well as the shared account bank. You get to keep those features even if you go back to free 2 play. The only feature you lose is the credit cap unlock that lets you have more money, but you don't have to worry about that right now.

You will also get a free character respec token with each rank promotion which means that once you reach max level you can redo your skills for free. This means that right now, you can just do what you want.. play and have fun. You don't have to worry about what goes where, you cannot make a mistake right now that will damage you down the line.

Of course, if you have any specific questions, by all means ask. Welcome to Star Trek Online, hope you enjoy the game.
    Insert witty signature line here.

That's totally fine and completely normal. Some of the things you see on your screen aren't even used until later levels of the game, so you some of it simply doesn't do anything yet. STO is definitely a game that's best learned by just playing it.

Since you did the one month subscription, you have unlocked some of the more needed feature like more inventory and bank space, as well as the shared account bank. You get to keep those features even if you go back to free 2 play. The only feature you lose is the credit cap unlock that lets you have more money, but you don't have to worry about that right now.

You will also get a free character respec token with each rank promotion which means that once you reach max level you can redo your skills for free. This means that right now, you can just do what you want.. play and have fun. You don't have to worry about what goes where, you cannot make a mistake right now that will damage you down the line.

Of course, if you have any specific questions, by all means ask. Welcome to Star Trek Online, hope you enjoy the game.

Thank you, I am enjoying it so far. I am even getting somewhat confident with the scanning for materials, although I am not getting them every time.

Mostly right now I am trying to find a fleet to join that will allow me to ask a million stupid questions. Preferably one that has at least an 18+ age requirement.
    Glad you are having fun! My first mmo was called earth & beyond, it didnt last too long but it was also almost entirely space based. There are others set in space out there, its a different breed though. Eve, etc. THink theres a star wars themed one too.
  • bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User

Mostly right now I am trying to find a fleet to join that will allow me to ask a million stupid questions. Preferably one that has at least an 18+ age requirement.

Check out this section right here.

You'll find a bunch of fleet recruitment threads.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited March 2016

To elaborate on consequences of unsubbing a bit, as far as I could tell, bank, inv and account bank stay, no strings attached, respecs you've earned already stay, credit cap does not (but your ECs aren't immediately truncated, you just can't earn any before you drop below F2P cap or purchase cap increase. Which still may lead to EC loss with things like auction or transfers thru account bank.) Boff (and probably dry dock*) slots and bonus character slot are gone unless you use them (and are taken away if you delete from them) and if you purchase more with zen, they would be used to accommodate whatever you have in subscriber slots already first.

* I hadn't any actual ships in subscriber bonus DD slots, so I'm not sure.
  • teregorrd#2453 teregorrd Member Posts: 1 New User
    how do i get another engineer for my ship. i have another slot but it wont let me add them onto it? this is frustrating as i have 3 engineering officers i have collected so far and i can not add a single one of them? is there a level i have to be at too do this or do i have to demote or promote to add them?
  • georikzaberiskgeorikzaberisk Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    how do i get another engineer for my ship. i have another slot but it wont let me add them onto it? this is frustrating as i have 3 engineering officers i have collected so far and i can not add a single one of them? is there a level i have to be at too do this or do i have to demote or promote to add them?
    Did you include them on your active boffs? If they are located on the BOFF Candidates (You can see it under the Stations Tab) then you need to activate them and put them in your active roster. Be sure to have an open BOFF seat for the officer you're going to activate.