test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game unplayable after Windows 10 upgrade

I really hope some devs read this because I'm really [modded]

Yesterday I upgraded my notebook to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 using the ad hoc button in the tray.

All drivers were just updated, everything went smoothly and the new OS rocks beside my imagination... then I turned off and went to bed.

Done with my errands for today, having read my mails from the app, surfed the web, tryied Cortana... I just launched STO.

Guess what?

After hitting the Engage button, a window appears announcing that they found my system requirements to be insufficient and my video card not supported: "the application could run poorly or not run at all" and if I have to try using suggested settings was reccomended.

I try the same and the game is unplayable with fps between... 1 and 2. Yes. Obviously I hope I don't have to argument why playing is impossible on such conditions.

Point is my system requirements and my two video cards are exactly the same with which I usually play STO will almost all settings maxed and good fps. Only thing changed is the OS.

SO being one suspicious of coincidences like good old Garak I take for granted that the problem it's Windows 10.

Please don't [modded] by saying it's not that, try verifying something else and then file a ticket because we all know this Support sucks and IF after more than one ticket I get an answer I can foresee it ultimately ends being the suggestion to lower my graphics to minimum.

It's crystal clear there is a problem with Windows 10 and surfing the forum I see I am not the only one: the problem exists and I want it to go as soon as possible and be able to return to the game in which I invested 100 € with my usual performance.

NOW...

Can I have a precise answer from a developer who works on the matter about what the problem is and how and when it will be resolved?

Thanks all for the time.
I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
Post edited by jodarkrider on

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    If I remember correctly it has something to do with the way 10 distributes the video functions between the GPU and the Vid card memory. (I switched several months ago)
    But I can't for the life of me remember what I did to solve the problem on my PC.
    Let me check a few things and get back to you.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    Thank you for your kindness, I'll wait for updates
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Follow up question...
    What vid card are you using?

Also, have you tried running the Compatibility Mode with the game?
    IF not...
    Right click on the STO Icon on your Desktop and then click on "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    (make sure you run it as the Administrator)
    This could at least give some insight as to what the problem is and might actually auto-fix it.

Another suggestion... try running the game in each of the three "windowed" settings. Sometimes "Fullscreen" will work, sometimes it won't and the same for the "Windows Modes".
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    I have two cards, both AMD that came stock with the notebook, one is 4000 series and the other is a 7000.

What bothers me is that this same setup allowed me to play on fullscreen with max settings without any of these problem in Windows 8.1

I'll give these suggestions a try and let you know if any of these work.

I would like to see some official word about Windows 10 from the company though.
  • Options
    spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    To overcome the issue of the game using your on-board graphics as opposed to a graphics card you need to disable the on-board vga in bios if possible. When you boot there should be a message on the initial screen advising to hit a key for settings - do this. When the bios settings appear look through the various section for disable on-board vga/graphics, check this item or choose disable etc then look for the option to save changes and exit (usually F10 but it should be shown at bottom of screen), reboot and if everything has worked the onboard vga will be disabled.

The other main issue with windows 10 is with the superfetch service, it has a habit of assuming that you want to use certain apps and pre-loads random apps after the system has been running for a while (if you look in task manager after a while you will see apps such as photos, xbox live, solitaire etc all appear to be running - they have been pre-loaded into memory and can on some systems reserve memory and cause issues) to stop this open task manager and go to the services tab. At the bottom there is an option in blue to open services, choose this and look for superfetch in the list. Right-click on superfetch and choose properties, on the properties screen change the startup type to manual and apply the new setting. (google windows 10 opens random apps for details, it is well documented in several win 10 support forums).

I doubt we will get an official statement regarding win 10 from cryptic as most of the issues are OS only and they probably couldn't comment since they don't produce windows. Also the issues can vary from system to system which makes definitive advice difficult - I only know about most of these as my son is a windows certified tech.

Edit:- If you unsure about messing with bios - try googling the notebook manufacturers website with the issue, there may be relevant advice on their support forums. Plug and play should detect the card and give it priority but in some cases it doesn't seem to detect the change any more.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    ^^^ What he said...
    I have a Nvidia Card and one of the options in it's settings is to default to the Nvidia card instead of the on-board Intel one.
    Also, check on the driver updates for your AMD card at their site, there have been issues with AMD changing basic functions from what they previously were before, in their last couple of updates.
    B)
  • Options
    I have no video card besides those that come installed on the notebook. Also it gave no problem under Windows 8.1.

I thank everyone for the kind answers, luckily seems I have found the problem was that during the upgrade to 10 two files went missing and Steam game file Verify resolved that allowing me to play at normal conditions again.

I'll let you know of any news, hopefully this would not be needed.
  • Options
    I have no video card besides those that come installed on the notebook. Also it gave no problem under Windows 8.1.

I thank everyone for the kind answers, luckily seems I have found the problem was that during the upgrade to 10 two files went missing and Steam game file Verify resolved that allowing me to play at normal conditions again.

I'll let you know of any news, hopefully this would not be needed.

Keep the known issues with win 10 in general in mind especially if you experience performance issues, but do post an update after a few weeks as this may help others with similar issues.
  • Options
    dunghuynhcatdunghuynhcat Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I am glad that there is a post about the issue with Win 10. I also have Win 10 and my game keeps crashing also. Arc or STO needs to update to Win 10 so that we can also play the game. It is the compatibility issue. I wished that compatibility issues were not a problem at all.
  • Options
    I am glad that there is a post about the issue with Win 10. I also have Win 10 and my game keeps crashing also. Arc or STO needs to update to Win 10 so that we can also play the game. It is the compatibility issue. I wished that compatibility issues were not a problem at all.

I don't think the issue is compatability with the game as such but rather it seems to be a complicated mess of driver related issues which vary according to system spec and manufacturer. Your point though is valid but I think to move in this direction at present would cause more problems than it solves.

There are players who have no problems running the game under win 10, whilst others seem to encounter issue after issue. The honest answer is that win10 is still a relatively new OS, it is also designed to enable your smartphone, tablet, laptop, pc etc to all run exactly (or as near as can be) the same OS. To do this it has a lot of new technology included and it would appear that upon installation it treats every device as the same. This means that apps such as photos which you might want available at a seconds notice on your smartphone are also enabled on your PC. The points in it's favor are that most of these are easy to disable/uninstall, you don't need to physically connect things together to sync them, in theory you can login to any win10 device using your usual details and get the same desktop as you have at home/office, it is miles better than previous attempts to consolidate windows (WinME and Vista - both of which were consigned to the bottomless swamp within about a year and ironically both replaced with XP (ME was superseeded and Vista was retroactive))

Best advice at present would be to either set-up a virtual win7/8 machine and run from there or try some of the fixes that are kicking around the internet (a few have been adapted for here by various contributor). Of course, you can always experiment with PC settings - remember to set a restore point first and take a note of what you change just in case.
  • Options
    geezerpunkgeezerpunk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I was having issues with the Crashing four or five times a day. I am also running Windows 10, but I wanted to try to solve some of this issues with my computer.

*** W A R N I N G ***
    This worked for me, on my system, and my version of Windows 10. It may not work for you. Your actual mileage may very, Although I left a way to get back, I make no guarantees or promises that it WILL work for you, your system, or your version of Windows 10.
    *** END OF WARNING ***

I tried running the game using the TRIBBLE test server on the load screen. This creates an entire new directory and downloads the patch from the test server into that folder. I then played on the test server for a couple of days and realized that there was no crashing on that server.

When that was working as verified, I went to the folder \program files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\
    (Basically the Windows apps 32bit, Star Trek for English, game folders) There I found two folders one called Live and the other was Playtest.

On a whim, I renamed the Live folder to Old_Live. This was so I could copy it back if I FUBAR'd the game.
    Copied the Playtest folder.
    Finally I renamed the Playtest (copy) to Play

This allowed a new and clean patch to be copied from the TRIBBLE server (Which I tested and verified worked on my machine) to be the one loaded when I started with the HOLODECK server. It is possible that they might change the patch load every time that they do a blade maintenance, and it may not work for me next week, but today it is.

Also, since I read about all the people having problems with Directx 11, I manually set the graphics to Directx 9 at the same time.

*** W A R N I N G ***
    This worked for me, on my system, and my version of Windows 10. It may not work for you. Your actual mileage may very, Although I left a way to get back, I make no guarantees or promises that it WILL work for you, your system, or your version of Windows 10.
    *** END OF WARNING ***
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    I have to ask as well, are you using the default drivers that came with Windows 10 or did you go the manufacturer website and download new drivers from there? If you're using the default 10 drivers those have been known to cause issues for people. You also shouldn't need to disable your on board graphics if you're using more than one option, it can however help you out. You should be able to set defaults on your own as to what it uses. I'm running on a GTX 750 TI card and also still have access to my onboard Asus graphics if need be.

Also have you fixed the built in memory leak in Windows 10? If not then that's something you should do right away. I have a video I put up on my youtube channel if need be that I can pm you that should help you do that.

Also Direct3d 11 doesn't get along well with STO. Although STO is capable of running 3d 11, it doesn't work well most of the time that I've seen. Try going back to Direct3d 9ex or 3d 9.

That's a few things I can think of off the top of my head incase you still have issues in the future.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator