test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is STO rapidly becoming the greatest Massively Singleplayer Online game?

carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
This poll is exclusively about the queues and battlezone content.
Please try to briefly explain why you give your answer.
"So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.

Is STO rapidly becoming the greatest Massively Singleplayer Online game? 135 votes

Yes, and it's bad for the game.
31% 42 votes
Yes, but I don't feel it's an issue. The game is still fun for me.
40% 55 votes
No. I almost always feel like we're working as a team.
8% 11 votes
Yes in some ways, no in others. (please elaborate)
20% 27 votes

Comments

• comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2016
    Yes... Storyline
    No... Fleets/pves/PvP/battlezones.

Hence why it's been classified as a MMORPG.... Emphasis on RPG part!
    6tviTDx.png

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I don't see alot of multiplayer-ness, but then I'm not really looking. (Barely have time to Doff all my toons lately.) The fact that there's not 'trinity' needed for the STFs means you really don't have to rely on teammates to get through the content. You just have to hope they are competent and aren't there to just grief everyone for kicks or an AFKer. And it doesn't help that being selfish seems to be the path to more rewards on some maps (like the V-Rexs for example).

I'd guess you can find good multi-player if you find the right group or fleet.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Yes, sadly it is!

A player has to socialize and find likeminded a lot in order to fully enjoy teamed PvE/PvP nowadays.

Playing STO alone is boring beyond believe.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    Yes... Storyline

Storyline is debatable, play through some of SWTOR's class stories.

Where STO shines is ship variety.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Yes... Storyline

TOR was also done by Bioware, a company known for story quality. Also TOR is a different animal entirely with a much bigger budget, so not exactly a fair comparison.

Ship variety isn't the only area where STO shines. Its got one of the BEST customization systems ever for characters. And the best part... you can change your look anytime for free in the tailor, and new outfits are relatively cheep and are account unlocks. Except for Lobi outfits.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yes... Storyline

TOR was also done by Bioware, a company known for story quality. Also TOR is a different animal entirely with a much bigger budget, so not exactly a fair comparison.

Ship variety isn't the only area where STO shines. Its got one of the BEST customization systems ever for characters. And the best part... you can change your look anytime for free in the tailor, and new outfits are relatively cheep and are account unlocks. Except for Lobi outfits.

SWTOR is a space MMO, the comparison is valid. You can't just say it isn't because you don't think it's fair.

But I will agree, DTO does have the better space barbie ;)
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Because of powercreep there comes more and more group content that can be soloed. So there you have a 'yes' and a why. This is of course the effect of bad game balance and not the result of making and adding more single player content.

This said, I belief if it was the other way arround, STO growing in a thrue multiplayer game, a game where most content is only suited for groups, there would be a bigger problem.

Do realize, that all MMO, at least the theme park as they are called, are in fact single player games adepted so all players play in one realm. Everybody does the same thing. We all killed Hakeev. How is that possible. If two players play the Witcher, they both have the same adventure, each however on his own system. When we play a theme park MMO, each player plays the same story, has the same adventure, but we are all in one game world.

Sandbox MMO's are much more MMO, because each player can experience the game in the way he wants. The foundry is also worth metioning. Players can add content, so you can choose your own path and experience in the game world.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator

SWTOR is a space MMO, the comparison is valid. You can't just say it isn't because you don't think it's fair.

But I will agree, DTO does have the better space barbie ;)

TOR is mostly on the ground though. The few space portions are rail shooters from what I heard, similar to Star Fox. It would probably be more accurate to compare TOR to WoW because of its heavy ground focus and large scale ground maps that require mounts or a taxi to get across quickly. Not to mention the fact that roles are more clearly defined by class selection. By comparison, STO has small ground maps and roles are less defined.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Star trek and star wars have been direct competitors on the market since the 70s and that wont change, so yes the comparison is valid.

as for the poll, i can not answer this because the answers have a bias. a simple yes, no or dont know would of been best, then let everyone explain themselves if they wish.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited February 2016
    Yes... Storyline

^this

you want massive single player? play DCUO or SWTOR

rattler2 wrote: »
    TOR is mostly on the ground though. The few space portions are rail shooters from what I heard, similar to Star Fox.
    Well there is that but there's also the implemented abandonware that is Starfighter... an arena style pvp with fighters thats free form, controls are a bit like freelancer
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    Star trek and star wars have been direct competitors on the market since the 70s and that wont change, so yes the comparison is valid.

as for the poll, i can not answer this because the answers have a bias. a simple yes, no or dont know would of been best, then let everyone explain themselves if they wish.

Fair enough lol. I made the poll after a discussion on our fleet's TS, so maybe I was a little too influenced by some stuff people were talking about there.

"So my fun is wrong?"

• zolgearzolgear Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    One thing I've always liked about Cryptic's games is that they seem to eschew the "forced teaming" philosophy you see in so many other MMOs. I can hop in and do content any time, with friends or solo, without having to wait around LFT-ing for a half hour or trying to hunt down a tank/buffer/DPS'er/whatever the party's missing because you need a half-dozen characters of particular classes before you can even get started.

So yeah, in that particular respect, STO's pretty much ideal for me. For ground stuff, I have an entire party to control if I'm running solo,and in space, I'm good to go with just my ship. I can find company when I want it, but I don't need it to get things done.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    So, to briefly explain why I voted "No"?

There are:
    Two "Yes" Votes.
    One "No" Vote.
    One "Yes & No" Vote, which is really just a THIRD "Yes" Vote.

The "No" Vote, by the way, is a false choice. It is nearly impossible to honestly say "I almost always feel like we're working as a team" in a game where a huge portion of the game's storyline is presented in a mission designed to be played by a single player. It is in the game's endgame content that STO really becomes a multiplayer game: STFs, BZs, Fleets & Armadas, etc. The thing is, your question asks if STO is "rapidly becoming the greatest Massively Singleplayer Online game." No, it is not "rapidly" doing anything, it has always been like this, and it still is. In fact, over time, these endgame components have been added and/or developed into something bigger than it originally was, so if STO is "becoming" anything, it is becoming MORE MULTIPLAYER over time. Still not "rapidly" though...

So, again, there are 3 "Yes" Vote options and a False Choice.

I almost always try to vote against a poll's bias, so even if though "No" is set up as a false choice, I chose it.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    bergins wrote: »
    So, to briefly explain why I voted "No"?

There are:
    Two "Yes" Votes.
    One "No" Vote.
    One "Yes & No" Vote, which is really just a THIRD "Yes" Vote.

The "No" Vote, by the way, is a false choice. It is nearly impossible to honestly say "I almost always feel like we're working as a team" in a game where a huge portion of the game's storyline is presented in a mission designed to be played by a single player. It is in the game's endgame content that STO really becomes a multiplayer game: STFs, BZs, Fleets & Armadas, etc. The thing is, your question asks if STO is "rapidly becoming the greatest Massively Singleplayer Online game." No, it is not "rapidly" doing anything, it has always been like this, and it still is. In fact, over time, these endgame components have been added and/or developed into something bigger than it originally was, so if STO is "becoming" anything, it is becoming MORE MULTIPLAYER over time. Still not "rapidly" though...

So, again, there are 3 "Yes" Vote options and a False Choice.

I almost always try to vote against a poll's bias, so even if though "No" is set up as a false choice, I chose it.

I take your point, but to be fair, the description underneath says that it's exclusively about endgame queue and battlezone content. As in, not foundry and not the story.

"So my fun is wrong?"

• scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    I always dialike when they do missions that u cant play with others... liek they did in the dyson arc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Point taken, and since Battlezones didn't even exist at the beginning of the game, and more queues keep being added as time goes on, I really must vote against a "Yes" Vote, but the "No" Vote is still a forced lie.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    edited February 2016
    @bergins and @mirrorchaos

I will concede that perhaps there needed to be different/more answer choices. It's an honest question to which I wondered what others opinions were. It really wasn't my intention to skew anything or manipulate people's answers. I guess I hang my head in forum poll shameland and will try to do better next time haha.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

• admiraljaneway1admiraljaneway1 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    [Inappropriate comment modded]

Post edited by jodarkrider on
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    there was a time 4/5 players in a pug would say hi/bye/thx

now, more often than not, it's only 1/5 (and 4/5 times that's only me)

i don't use the channel's for a few reasons, 1 being that i actually want to play the end game, not zooom through it, like i'm using \dev_god_mode​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Yes people aren't that friendly anymore... i try to be but I'm always ignored.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    I'd buy the game if they made it single player with multiplayer support. Do away with servers etc. They would obviously have to change around a great deal of things but, when that time comes to shut down the servers, I hope they at least consider making it available for single player purposes.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Rapidly becoming, or always has been?

I don't worry.
    kavase wrote: »
    I'd buy the game if they made it single player with multiplayer support. Do away with servers etc. They would obviously have to change around a great deal of things but, when that time comes to shut down the servers, I hope they at least consider making it available for single player purposes.
    Don't get your hopes up. When the game closes down, likely one or the following two are true:
    1) The game isn't financially viable, and as such, investing in a single player version would be impossible due to lack of funding.
    2) Cryptic's license ended and wasn't renewed and they wouldn't even be allowed to release it as stand-alone game (likely that isn't even covered by their current license).

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    You can team if you want to. Not team if you don't want. So it's up to you.

If you're feeling lonely in game it's probably because your personality has bad breath.
    <3
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Something I really miss were the old Open Instance fleet actions. I guess they were sort of the precursors to battle zones in that you could come and go at any time and didn't have to wait around for a full team.

Had its ups and downs, but would very much like to see them restored.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    You do need teamwork for elites. Or at least a team that knows what their tasks are going in.

But you can run much of the Adv and Norm queues as a solo hero. a 75k player can solo all adv content.

I'd even say 50k could solo most adv queues with the proper techniques.

STO is a strange breed in the game market.
    part MMO
    part Single player with Co-op options
    Part MOBA
    Part RPG
    Part Trek :grin:

Edit: I didn't vote, as there was no "Other" option.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    OTHER...forgot N/A or other. Not a good poll since omits some other elements. Other MMOs have similar design and depends who is looking at this. IMO this is question is NOT valid.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif