test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why did my launcher just start patching,is something going on i havent heard about????

Answers

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I think I'll wait until we get some official word on what's going on before trying myself.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • carter60carter60 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    so basicly wait untill tommorow and try again?
    carter60 wrote: »

Its only about 1:10 PM here for me so might not even be tomorrow morning for me. I just want to know what's going on.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • carter60carter60 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    carter60 wrote: »

Its only about 1:10 PM here for me so might not even be tomorrow morning for me. I just want to know what's going on.

its 10 pm for me so for me itt will be tommorow but since i cant get into the game id like to know whats going on
  • bluesunshot#7246 bluesunshot Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    It remind me on how i was discovering new business project when customer we're calling to get something we never had any info or feedback on it at computer support, help desk.

Cryptic is using the same manners, let's just push an patch and let player base discover, no announcment who needs it.

It is amazing we have the technology to let peoples know what is happening, but because the law of laziness take over, we, the player, are almost, all the time in the dark.
    edited February 2016
    coldjaguar wrote: »
    It remind me on how i was discovering new business project when customer we're calling to get something we never had any info or feedback on it at computer support, help desk.

Cryptic is using the same manners, let's just push an patch and let player base discover, no announcment who needs it.

Usual patch day is Thursday though. Sometimes a major update comes out on a Tuesday. While today is Tuesday... no announcement of any kind, no warning... I don't think this is them pushing anything out. No patch notes. And no one is saying anything about new stuff. Just anomalous patch activity.

To me that doesn't match the usual pattern for Cryptic. They keep us informed about patches unless its an emergency fix that they have to push out immediately. Even then there's generally some kind of word on the forums. In this case... we have nothing.
  • bluejaye1bluejaye1 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Just hit this too. Small 100mb'ish patch, the launcher closes instead of launching the game and now I'm hit with a 9.8gb patch.

I think it's time for someone official to come and let us all know what's broken this time.
    Star Trek Offline is currently online. We apologise for the convenience and are working to remedy the situation.
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    I hope this isn't on purpose. Hope it's just a quick fix.
    Eiter way you look at it, I sure hope they reply back and let us know what's going on soon.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    And here I was getting ready to log in and take care of my Admiralty business. Looks like it will have to wait.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    Calm yourselves boys and girls. If anyone actually bothers to pay attention to the launcher, it has two numbers: Patched and Received. Patched is data already downloaded/installed that is being checked or updated. Received is data that is downloading. The patch is checking 9-11 gb, which is the whole game, but it is only downloading about 50-70 mb. This isn't the end of the world.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    lan451 wrote: »
    And here I was getting ready to log in and take care of my Admiralty business. Looks like it will have to wait.
    The Admirals Head is out of order today.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    We've already started the Summoning spell for Trendy and Bort in another thread. Hopefully official word will be bestowed upon us soon.

Unless they're out to lunch.

Then it will be bestowed upon us later.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I opened up the game and went in just fine with no patching. Have it open in another window right now.
    edited February 2016
    Oh Great...
    Now the App crashed in mid DL ...

<GRUMBLE..., GRUMBLE..., GRUMBLE...>

fa1b2feb5a32968ea1201910bb055f47.jpg

I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Sooo should I be making backups of my game client in case something breaks it? :smiley:
    Just trying to "play it safe" here.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
    edited February 2016
    Time to play Solitaire...

https://youtu.be/BBml5_3bn6c

• rifor83rifor83 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Well, the spare copy of the game trick didn't work for me. The launcher wants the update no matter what. If you have a spare copy on another PC or USB drive, I guess you have to just run straight from GameClient.exe until the launcher is fixed.

And as for the launcher only checking the majority of the game files and downloading hardly anything, I'm at approximately 1.5GB "patched" and 1GB downloaded (14%) so far, so thats a lie. I noticed when the launcher did its initial 296MB patch (before the 11GB one) that it actually deleted a load of DLL files in the game directory, so it probably deleted a load more, although the directory was still apparently 17+GB.

Would like an apology from Cryptic and announcement that there will be no planned downtime this week to make up for it! ;)

EDIT: Started up Neverwinter and saw a dreaded "Patching" text on that launcher too! But it was only a false alarm! But it's about time Cryptic got some extra servers so each game can be on a separate one. Is it really that important to have cross-game chat channels? I would be nicer to be able to download an un-necessary 11GB patch on one game while being able to play the other at the same time.

Place annoying e-peen boasting signature here!
  • coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
    Hello, we've figured out what the issue is and fixed it. Players shouldn't be experiencing this issue anymore. If there still seems to be some patching issues, exit the game and relaunch the launcher again and it should be back to normal.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    mhall85 wrote: »
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Best bet is this is the 11.5 pre-patch acting like a regular patch

9 GB is a whole lot for a mid-season release.

A mid-season release that will contain the biggest fundamental shift in the game in years...

And, I really don't think that's hyperbole. This ain't no new Admiralty campaign, LOL.

So, whatever was on Tribble was bound to hit Live in the same exact state no matter what was going on? Yes, that's normal here :D

LOL... sadly, I do share in your cynicism... to a point. :wink:

I do think things will be fine-tuned, for sure... but, judging by what I heard from Bort on P1 (and judging by previous updates), it sounds like the major work is done, and it ain't changing. Best push it out now, while they continue to fine-tune (on an individual basis).

By and large, it does look great... but, it's gonna be really interesting once our character are reactivated. Plasmonic Leech and Inspirational Leader...

giphy.gif

They're not pushing it out this soon. Since they said 11.5 is coming out in spring, we have at least another month till the "official" start of spring. There's probably more coming.
    cokebear wrote: »
    I copied the whole game onto a thumb drive from my laptop, which has not been connected to STO today. I then used that to overwrite the mess that they somehow created and got back into the game, no patch needed.

So, anyone downloading 9-11 GB should be really ticked off, because it is exactly the same as what you already have/had.

It isn't a patch or a pre-patch, it isn't the new Skills revamp - it's a screwup that no one seems to want to mea culpa for here.

Also, given how long it has been since S11 (October 2015), I doubt that this is going to be Season 11.5 - shouldn't we be just going right to 12 with the new skill system?

Season 5:Dec '11
    Season 6:July '12
    Season 7:Nov '12
    Legacy of Romulus
    Season 8:Nov '13
    Season 9:Apr '14
    Delta Rising
    Season 10:Apr '15
    Season 11:Oct '15.

The only gaps in there over half a year are the ones with expansions (LoR in May 2013, and DR in October 2014). I don't think the skills change will be a .5 since we are already almost in March, and that's 5 months since New Dawn.

They've already stated in the skill revamp blog that it's coming out in spring with season 11.5.
    We’re also going to be keeping a very close watch on feedback from our Tribble Test Server over the coming weeks, while this new system undergoes its final tuning and tweaking. We greatly encourage all existing players to try out the changes, both with new and existing characters, and offer whatever feedback you can before the new Skill System becomes a permanent part of the Star Trek Online experience with the launch of Season 11.5 later this Spring!

Isn't it also possible that this season might be longer than other seasons? Season 10 launched with the sector space revamp, Iconian Reputation (no battlezone, just queues), an expanded specialization tree (Pilot), and tacked on with Season 10.5 a new fleet holding and the fleet armada system, not to mention 7 new episodes covering the Iconian War.

Season 11 so far gave us the Terran Taskforce Reputation complete with a new battlezone (copy and paste if you think so), 2 new queued event missions, the Cardassian Struggle episode revamp and the Admiralty system. Now, what we haven't gotten yet is a new specialization tree (plenty of people have stated they have completed trees with points building up), and there's also a foundry feature that is coming. There was also mention some time back when they were still releasing the Admiralty system in one of the podcasts that there would be a campaign for each faction we had, yet only the KDF and Federation ones launched. They can always add another campaign too.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    Thenks @coldsnapped
    We've been trying to summon Trendy and Bort for word on the issue. Probaby didn't use enough bacon...
    edited February 2016
    Hello, we've figured out what the issue is and fixed it. Players shouldn't be experiencing this issue anymore. If there still seems to be some patching issues, exit the game and relaunch the launcher again and it should be back to normal.

But I'm in the middle of the patch... didn't fix it for me.
    Still got 5678 Mb to DL.

THank YOU!!!
  • wwwwoodywwwwoody Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Calm yourselves boys and girls. If anyone actually bothers to pay attention to the launcher, it has two numbers: Patched and Received. Patched is data already downloaded/installed that is being checked or updated. Received is data that is downloading. The patch is checking 9-11 gb, which is the whole game, but it is only downloading about 50-70 mb. This isn't the end of the world.

Not sure this is an accurate statement, my launcher says 'received 690mb' and counting which it also advises is 8%. So either you are mistaken as to what 'received' means as that is clearly well beyond 50-70mb or it really is downloading the whole game again rather than simply checking it.
  • ladychelle79ladychelle79 Member Posts: 12 Arc User

nope... it is still trying to do an 11 gig patch for me
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User

Many thanks for the quick response! :3

I was about to pull out a frying pan and make some bacon for a summoning ritual ^^
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
    Make sure its the good stuff @kelettes
    At least Applewood smoked. None of that cheap Fast Food stuff.
  • muwatalimuwatali Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Nope, didnt fix it, still got it
  • hmmmgoodhmmmgood Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Nope,after launcher restart it till wants to update.
  • darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User

nope... it is still trying to do an 11 gig patch for me

Same here. I've closed and restarted the launcher three times. Just keeps starting up the same patch each time.

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I just closed and restarted with no issues or patch. I did not close before they fixed it however.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

This discussion has been closed.