test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Desperate need of a dil sink

124»

Comments

• asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I like this idea as honestly I hate that a look of my shield/deflector/engine would be tied to those exclusively being slotted, and would love a system like the Tailor that allowed me to apply the details of these sets to my ship in the ship customization...

And, as noted, it would not appear to be all that difficult a thing to implement in terms of coding. Neither, I suspect, would be personal weapon reskinning, as explained here.

Yeah I would not be that surprised it is that hard as the large part of the work is most likely already in game, just needing to code an apply it to the starship customization officer. Also not sure how close i owuld be to have they did the armor visuals for the rep gear and kits to be applied to the talior, but if that is doable than I am sure this is atleast possible. AN yeah as long as it is not applying the effect of the weapon but just a apply the look of a chosen weapon to all hard point and projectiles, it would be the same way an easy an fun thing that can actually reduce some traffic with not having to produce different visuals for a mixed weapon/energy ship that is still using the same base energy/weapon type.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Yeah I would not be that surprised it is that hard as the large part of the work is most likely already in game, just needing to code an apply it to the starship customization officer. Also not sure how close i owuld be to have they did the armor visuals for the rep gear and kits to be applied to the talior, but if that is doable than I am sure this is atleast possible.
    Precisely.
    AN yeah as long as it is not applying the effect of the weapon but just a apply the look of a chosen weapon to all hard point and projectiles...
    I see why this comes up (the two weapon sets from recent featured episodes come to mind), and also wonder how difficult it would be to (for instance) have the Quantum Phase Beam Array apply its distinctive visual effects to all phasers equipped on the same ship if desired.

On another note, one way to create a dilithium sink would be to flesh out the various rep stores. From TF Omega, for instance, one can requisition in addition to personal weapons with the [Borg] mod, a range of relevant consumables such as the static grenades; by that logic, one should be able to requisition web grenades and radiation crystals from the Nukara Strikeforce. Indeed, I am of the belief that much of what is in the lobi store has no business whatsoever being there as opposed to the various rep tracks...
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    The one thing I'm curious about is..... this isn't a PvP game, and there's no real rewards from competing with other players. So what is there to "win" when one pays-to-win?

I think they use Pay to Win because "Someone did better than me in an event/ STF/ PvP" is too long to write out.
    <3
    On another note, one way to create a dilithium sink would be to flesh out the various rep stores. From TF Omega, for instance, one can requisition in addition to personal weapons with the [Borg] mod, a range of relevant consumables such as the static grenades; by that logic, one should be able to requisition web grenades and radiation crystals from the Nukara Strikeforce. Indeed, I am of the belief that much of what is in the lobi store has no business whatsoever being there as opposed to the various rep tracks...

I would love to get things like being able to do a project that you send in a weapon, shield, deflector, engine, hanger-pet, and such to have the visual an even mod for the rep applied to them. Like for me i would love to send in a fighter or shuttle to the Undine rep to have them gain the look an weapon effect/look of that rep's gear. This is more of just wanting to match my ship, look, weapons, and such with each other. Also having a high cost project in terms of materials as well as dil you put in to get a unique ship based on the rep style an concepts would be cool too.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Also having a high cost project in terms of materials as well as dil you put in to get a unique ship based on the rep style an concepts would be cool too.
    Alternatively, this is where many ships would end up if banished from the lobi store. If you accept my example above of things that should be requisitionable from a rep track, it's even more applicable to starships. If, for example, the Nukara Strikeforce is big on countering and reverse-engineering Tholian technology, it's only logical that they be the ones who'd be acquiring and reconditioning Tholian ships; Delta Alliance would have Vaadwaur tech, et cetera. Which brings back another idea I had: that at T3 of a rep, you should be able to requisition the matching OPFOR's weapons from their stores, too (i.e. T3 8472CC unlocks fluidic-AP weapons).

"But," one wonders, "if you follow this logic all the way through, what's left for the Lobi Consortium to offer?" Well, chances at the various bonuses/boosts that are already in those lockboxes...
    Also having a high cost project in terms of materials as well as dil you put in to get a unique ship based on the rep style an concepts would be cool too.
    Alternatively, this is where many ships would end up if banished from the lobi store. If you accept my example above of things that should be requisitionable from a rep track, it's even more applicable to starships. If, for example, the Nukara Strikeforce is big on countering and reverse-engineering Tholian technology, it's only logical that they be the ones who'd be acquiring and reconditioning Tholian ships; Delta Alliance would have Vaadwaur tech, et cetera. Which brings back another idea I had: that at T3 of a rep, you should be able to requisition the matching OPFOR's weapons from their stores, too (i.e. T3 8472CC unlocks fluidic-AP weapons).

"But," one wonders, "if you follow this logic all the way through, what's left for the Lobi Consortium to offer?" Well, chances at the various bonuses/boosts that are already in those lockboxes...

I am not sure i would say they would use or deploy completely tholian ships, but more ships using tholian tech an design elements adapted to suit their needs. Like a tholian ship design that was using a more federation/KDF/Romulan base model as it's super-structure. As then you leave actually the fully alien ships like the Tholian, Vaadwaur, Undine, and such ships to be used in lockboxes, while giving players a unique prize via the rep that could be seen to show similarities to their own faction an the rep's enemy. Good exampole would be with the borg rep a the end we might have a choice between afew assimilated versions of a Federation/KDF/Romulan that would still not be fully borg (think the tal-shiar assimilated ships), but still would feel quite borg-like for those that want a borg ship for their liberated borg characters. I will agree with your last part though.
  • sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    IMO the issue in regard to "sinks" isn't whether "enough" of them exist, but rather making the existing sinks more attractive so that people want to sink their dilithium.

Right now, in regard to Fleet Projects, for example- there exists a 1:1 ratio, which if it were increased to at least double that amount (say 2:1 in favor of Fleet Credits) I'd imagine you'll see a lot more donations.

The other item rewards (ship modules, etc.) would increase the urge for people to sink Dilithium, too- at least make them Rare quality items so they don't compete with Fleet gear, but give new players a shot at increasing their overall survivability in-game as they climb the ladders.

TL;DR = we don't need more sinks, we need the existing ones to be more attractive.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
    IMO the issue in regard to "sinks" isn't whether "enough" of them exist, but rather making the existing sinks more attractive so that people want to sink their dilithium.

Right now, in regard to Fleet Projects, for example- there exists a 1:1 ratio, which if it were increased to at least double that amount (say 2:1 in favor of Fleet Credits) I'd imagine you'll see a lot more donations.

The other item rewards (ship modules, etc.) would increase the urge for people to sink Dilithium, too- at least make them Rare quality items so they don't compete with Fleet gear, but give new players a shot at increasing their overall survivability in-game as they climb the ladders.

TL;DR = we don't need more sinks, we need the existing ones to be more attractive.

I agree that we need to have the existing dil sinks in game made more attractive, but I would say that adding some new ones that can be just as attractive would be nice too. I mean I know many players that are not interested in joining a fleet which no matter how attractive yyou make the sinks tied to fleets (unless it is borderline brokenly op) these are just not going to be used by them, and so expanding sinks to be part of various parts of the game so that we all have a sink we can do for our prefered content would be good. To me we need to improve and expand existing sinks both in scope an in value.
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    Why do the people who make and support these threads think most people care about others not subsidizing their gaming? On fact, I bet most laugh at your tears.

entitled much?
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Doubt it. Large fleets are long finished with all the holdings and swimming in excess provisions, so have no particular reason to even run any projects but the fleet marks turn-in.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

Doubt it. Large fleets are long finished with all the holdings and swimming in excess provisions, so have no particular reason to even run any projects but the fleet marks turn-in.

And regardless, it only serves as a temporary solution. Eventually, you wouldn't need to donate anymore.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    You guys can pretend to ignore me if you want, but no one is obligated to subsidize you, your bots and your 15 accounts gaming. And the fact that this thread even exists shows a staggering amount of entitlement.