test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skill Revamp

samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
HALLELUJAH!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!! A-*******-MEN!!!

Seriously though this was longer overdue and the changes look to differentiate class types which is never a bad thing, it may seem small but it will fundementally improve the game.

Thank you Cryptic!

Comments

• darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    hmmm I wonder how many threads will be made today on this very subject......
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    This is only the second one and it serves a purpose besides just reposting a link to the DEV post. Which trendy said pisses her off...
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    It comes with crayons for coloring in the red and plastic safety scissors.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• elothoxelothox Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    I too am very glad to see this.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I.... just used a Respec earlier this week. Man, if I had known this was coming.... *le sigh*

It's cool, we all get free respecs when it goes live in a couple months.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    My only question(s) is/are:
    Do we still need to choose? Or can we max out now, like the spec system?
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    We have to choose just like now, 90 boxes and 45 points.
  • dd1mdd1m Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    And respeccing remains a thing according to Bort, which will severely limit the usefulness of the revamp if that remains locked behind a 500 zen a time pay wall.

Shame if thats the case as the system looks like an overall improvement otherwise
    8ebd135a27dd1eb31f8ce7dff0bfba3a1f1467ac_full.jpg
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User

I see four so far.....
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    10 everyday, until it's released to holodeck.

One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    ataloss wrote: »
    10 everyday, until it's released to holodeck.

just 10? come one Sto community we can do better then that. Lets make it 20
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    dd1m wrote: »
    And respeccing remains a thing according to Bort, which will severely limit the usefulness of the revamp if that remains locked behind a 500 zen a time pay wall.

Shame if thats the case as the system looks like an overall improvement otherwise

That's a good thing actually. It requires players to put some thought in their builds.

And if they removed respecs, lifers would lose on of their benefits.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    TLTR

cookie-cutter-people27.jpg
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    OMG !!! Its about time. Cryptic I "Hope" you guys know how vital this is. Literally this is a Life or Death situation for your game. The skill/class/personal identity experience in a MMO (any MMO by the way) is the most important "Nostalgic Feeling" of any game. Personally I feel its the part of the game where the player is born into your fantasy gaming world.

If the player is able to make a "usefull unique character" that can take part in your world and enjoy doing it based on the abilitys/skills and powers that you have made available then you win and the game lives. On the other hand in the end if all you have done is given the player a cookie cutter copy and paste build with no identity. Then you (and us, cause I like sto) lose. Many a MMO has crashed and burned because the endgame characters all had the same attacks and spells with no identity. It made the game repetitive and boring. The characters may have looked diffrent but if theres nothing fun below the surface then people won't play. Look at WOW for inspiration. They (believe it or not, counting Demon Hunter in Legion) have 12 classes. All with different attack animations and spells. Not counting each of the 12 classes has 3 different sub-classes they can choose from. So back on STO, we only have 3 classes and No sub-classes. This should help put things in perspective. I'm only saying the end product should be beyond expectation.

Engineering, Science and Tactical skill trees. Make them as diffrent as possible but equal in DPS output. Also when doing the animations for the abilitys, I suggest go all out. Make my PC moan. Players love purdy graphics and if abilitys are based on character level now then abilitys as they get stronger should have different animations. Think of leveling up your Gravity well. A higher level of Graviton Generators (Max) should cause it to have a diffrent pull animation (think ST VI, Klingon moon Praxis explodes). My only suggestion is if Cryptic is revamping all the skills and abilitys then they should take this opportunity to really go all out.

I'm done but truth is, this is a huge discussion and just to be clear on my topic. Hugely important. I mean HUGE and meant for someone with a much greater intellect than mine. Cryptic/PWI, if there was ever a time to get those "Creative Juices Flowing" that time would be now. I hope this revamp turns out to be the very best. Ty for reading and your time.

P.S. NO Cookie Cutter builds, please. OH, and fix it so that new players can have a easier time getting up to max level and getting thier abilitys.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    samt1996 wrote: »
    It's cool, we all get free respecs when it goes live in a couple months.

LOL, the free respec is when you login after the system goes live and you find your toon blanked of skills. Remember the crafting revamp ?
    :D
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    My only question(s) is/are:
    Do we still need to choose? Or can we max out now, like the spec system?
    Pretty sure we'll still get "choice" instead of being able to pick up everything over time. And I say "choice" in quotes because what'll really happen (what always happens with limited-selection talent tree systems) is people will just wait and see what the spreadsheet jockeys say is best, and then talent selection becomes a game of "ask google." Not that it's any different right now, of course.

Still, anything is better than what we have now. If the new version is clearer to new players, then it's an improvement nevertheless.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    TLTR

Already had that all the time. Let's try another shape. Maybe torpedoes will stop being utterly useless?
    <3
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    twg042370 wrote: »
    TLTR

Already had that all the time. Let's try another shape. Maybe torpedoes will stop being utterly useless?

Torpedoes are not useless...
    Heh if you think torpedoes are useless my Paradox would like a word with you.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    hope someone posts the ideal setup for the new system pronto, I never really understood the best setup for the old system and sure I messed it up.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

There is no such thing as "the ideal setup" which is the whole point of this change.
    There is no such thing as "the ideal setup" which is the whole point of this change.

maybe not ideal but certainly better.

lol keep trying to sell that.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    The new revamp looks very interesting and a closer look reveals that cannons and beams seem to be sharing the same default damage drop off and the same yields provided by the skills associated with it. What was also revealed is that there will be a lot more critH and critDMG yielding skills as well as damage ones. So those who complained already about power creeps (whoever came up with that silly word?) will in all likelihood whine and complain a ton more now. Too bad for those people... but at least the system is easy enough for them to join the club and become a hypocrite.

Something else that was revealed is that Plasmonic Leech and power drain in general may take a minor hit as far as Flow Caps goes and how much the new associated skill may yield. But instead we get something like electric damage when draining which may prove to be a fun addition.

And for those who love pets... Well, Cryptic gave hangar ship users more love. Hopefully they will fix those cannon pet issues as well as fix certain pet icons that they accidently swapped.
    hope someone posts the ideal setup for the new system pronto, I never really understood the best setup for the old system and sure I messed it up.
    Lol... not a person to do your own research?

your a very knowledgeable player Sheldon, perhaps you could do us all a favour and come up with the best possible setup. pretty please. :)

edited February 2016
    nephitis wrote: »
    Lol... not a person to do your own research?

there are just some players who are better at working out whats the best skill layout to have, I just don't understand these things, when all looks good its hard to work out what is the best combo, especially for us oldens who are groping our way though the game and barely keeping our heads above water.

I know I am falling well short when I am playing CC or mirror and taking ages to take out an enemy and then I see others blow them away in one or two hits.

if you don't want to help out then don't, I am sure there are plenty more who will.

your a very knowledgeable player Sheldon, perhaps you could do us all a favour and come up with the best possible setup. pretty please. :)

My current setup is far from ideal. I doubt anyone would want to emulate my oddities. I do have 6 characters that cover pretty much everything and range from what I call sci/tac, tac/sci, eng, pure sci, fed tac and rom tac.

I focus slightly more on my first character - sci/tac hybrid in the new Paradox. She comes from an ancient history of trying to make a super durable pvp ship with the vesta. Currently all systems power are around 125, 120, 60, 120. All weapons abilities skills are maxed, all defense skills are maxed, along with max exotics and leech. I use polarons adapted from an old spike protonic build that has fallen by the wayside. The biggest damage dealers are mini grav torpedo rifts and GW. She is no longer invincible when say attacked by 8 or 10 spheres. This was a tradeoff in consoles and abilities to gain solid dps.

Basically she doesn't quite play science or tac 'correctly' but i really enjoy the hybrid.

When this change goes live I will probably have to give up hybrid status, buy Graga and go pure science with double tractor pulls - though I am hearing that auxiliary power abilities are getting hammered into the stone age with a 42% nerf so it may be impossible going forward to play science at all. In which case... I dunno, I guess just run story missions with my main character and use my tacs for queues.

• dd1mdd1m Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

That's a good thing actually. It requires players to put some thought in their builds.

I disagree, it means a large number of people will use the system once and never touch it again, that would be a huge waste of development.

The current cost is exorbitant, the cost of a t1 ship to move a couple opf skills around is far too much esspecially if you merely want to test something out.
    8ebd135a27dd1eb31f8ce7dff0bfba3a1f1467ac_full.jpg
    I agr
    risian4 wrote: »

I disagree, it means a large number of people will use the system once and never touch it again, that would be a huge waste of development.

The current cost is exorbitant, the cost of a t1 ship to move a couple opf skills around is far too much esspecially if you merely want to test something out.

I agree there and this is coming from someone with as I say maybe 40 respec tokens in the bank. I think my first character is down to 2 or 3 after many many respecs to fine tune the complex system of nearly limitless choice we enjoy currently.

But most games allow non$ currency for respec. Something along the lines of 8000 dil or 500,000 ec would be appropriate.