test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thoughts R.e Temporal Cold War/Upcoming Content

reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,536 Arc User
With all this talk of big things coming to STO this year, I like most, was left wondering what those things might be. I played through the current (at the time of this post) Feature Episode and then it occurred to me:
The Battle of Procyon V from the Enterprise Episode ‘Azati Prime’ - how amazing would it be if our character participated in it?

Think about it – we’ve become involved in the Temporal Cold War. We saw part of the battle in the aforementioned episode of 'Enterprise'. And most importantly in the context of this discussion, There were ships contemporary to STO’s timeframe there. Those ship classes included:
Prometheus class
Dauntless class
Nova class
Vorcha Class

So what if the reason those ships were present was that our character led a task-force of 2410 starships, through time, into that point in the future, to participate in the battle of Procyon V?

It would also be a two-fold bonus. Firstly, it would explain why 24th century starships were present at the battle in the episde, and secondly - it would be one heck of a Feature Episode!

The biggest ‘issue’ would be the Enterprise-J, although from what we saw it didn’t participate as such and it could probably be added as a background asset.

Also can't help but wonder if Noye could possibly be the mysterious 'future guy' who manipulated the Suliban. Certainly has the movtivation.

Thoughts?
Post edited by reyan01 on

Comments

• ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    I like it. +1

Watching that episode, I did wonder why I spotted a Prometheus class...
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,536 Arc User
    I like it. +1

Watching that episode, I did wonder why I spotted a Prometheus class...

Same - always thought it odd that a Nova class was there.

But as I said in my opening post - it all makes sense if our character took a task-force of 24th Century ships from 2410 to the 26th century to participate in the battle.
  • alfred399alfred399 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    I think this will probably be the finale of the temporal cold war story arc. This is meant to be where the sphere builders faced their final defeat if memory serves and I'm still getting the feeling that the sphere builders are being set up to be the new big bad enemy....
    edited February 2016
    alfred399 wrote: »
    I think this will probably be the finale of the temporal cold war story arc. This is meant to be where the sphere builders faced their final defeat if memory serves and I'm still getting the feeling that the sphere builders are being set up to be the new big bad enemy....

True - but it does remain to be seen whether the Sphere Builder's final defeat = end of the Temporal Cold War. It may have removed the Sphere builders from the picture, but what of 'Future Guy', who was behind it all (who, as noted, at this point in time I am tempted to speculate is Noye).
    Post edited by reyan01 on
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    I like the idea of going to the battle as a finale but I do have to ask this.....why exactly can't the Federation have these ships still in service in the 26th century I mean look at how long the Excelsior class has been in service (and also they just reused old models so they didn't have to design new ones :P)
    reyan01 wrote: »

True - but it does remain to be seen wether the Sphere Builder's final defeat = end of the Temporal Cold War. It may have removed the Sphere builders from the picture, but what of 'Future Guy', who was behind it all (who, as noted, at this point in time I am tempted to speculate is Noye).

Future guy = Noye does make sense, but he could also be somebody we've not met yet. As an interesting note the memory alpha page here http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Future_Guy has some tweets from Brannon Braga outlining who he thought Future Guy was (I won't spoil it here).

My suspicion regarding the sphere builders is that they're pulling the strings behind the scenes and that they are the ones truly responsible for the cold war. I base this on them trying to change history to prevent them being wiped out after the Butterfly mission. I can see them manipulating Noye (and the Krenim and Nakhul by extension) to do that - but just a theory obviously
    rangerryu wrote: »
    I like the idea of going to the battle as a finale but I do have to ask this.....why exactly can't the Federation have these ships still in service in the 26th century I mean look at how long the Excelsior class has been in service (and also they just reused old models so they didn't have to design new ones :P)

Let's not let real-life facts get in the way here ;)

Whilst there isn't really any reason that those ships couldn't still be in service, I simply think that with what has been happening in STO's recent Feature Episodes, and our character's involvement in those events, it kinda makes sense for those ships to be a 2410 task force (led by our character) that time-travelled to participate in the battle.

True - but it does remain to be seen wether the Sphere Builder's final defeat = end of the Temporal Cold War. It may have removed the Sphere builders from the picture, but what of 'Future Guy', who was behind it all (who, as noted, at this point in time I am tempted to speculate is Noye).

Future guy = Noye does make sense, but he could also be somebody we've not met yet. As an interesting note the memory alpha page here http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Future_Guy has some tweets from Brannon Braga outlining who he thought Future Guy was (I won't spoil it here).

My suspicion regarding the sphere builders is that they're pulling the strings behind the scenes and that they are the ones truly responsible for the cold war. I base this on them trying to change history to prevent them being wiped out after the Butterfly mission. I can see them manipulating Noye (and the Krenim and Nakhul by extension) to do that - but just a theory obviously

True - but they never decided for certain.

And where Noye is concerned, he certainly has the movitation and actually made threats to that effect.

And where Noye is concerned, he certainly has the movitation and actually made threats to that effect.

That's kinda what I was getting at (but wording it poorly!) - Noye working with the builders to bring them back into existence. So if they are defeated at Procyon, then the reason for their manipulating time goes away and the war ends.

None of this of course takes away from your original idea of having our captain present at the battle - which is a damned fine idea BTW :)

That's kinda what I was getting at (but wording it poorly!) - Noye working with the builders to bring them back into existence. So if they are defeated at Procyon, then the reason for their manipulating time goes away and the war ends.

None of this of course takes away from your original idea of having our captain present at the battle - which is a damned fine idea BTW :)

Agreed - but the question is, would that defeat make future guy throw in the proverbial towl?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 36,962 Arc User
    you people are all aware that Future Guy aided archer AGAINST the sphere builders, right? so, it ain't noye​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 10,841 Arc User
    Frankly, I don't care. I just hope this arc is over soon. My disappointment about the "New Dawn" of exploration can't be topped anyway pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Frankly, I don't care. I just hope this arc is over soon. My disappointment about the "New Dawn" of exploration can't be topped anyway pig-3.gif​​

Well, indifferent about the arc but I would love to see/participate in the battle of Procyon V.
    edited February 2016
    Well, indifferent about the arc but I would love to see/participate in the battle of Procyon V.

You're free to do so. I personally don't, the whole set-up just looked too much of model recycling and a general idea that made ENT really terrible. I mean I like the connection you make for yourself, but bringing our ships to the future would make as much sense as bringing the HMS Victory to a match against present day war ships pig-2.gif

It only works if Star Trek at one point suddenly becomes a Star Wars-esque universe in which technology completely stagnates over the millenia.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User

You're free to do so. I personally don't, the whole set-up just looked too much of model recycling and a general idea that made ENT really terrible. I mean I like the connection you make for yourself, but bringing our ships to the future would make as much sense as bringing the HMS Victory to a match against present day war ships pig-2.gif

It only works if Star Trek at one point suddenly becomes a Star Wars-esque universe in which technology completely stagnates over the millenia.​​

Not sure I agree on that. A connie at the time of DS9 would still have fire power and be a threat. Maybe not as much as a modern ship but not as extreme as the Victory to now. This is more like a WW2 ship put on the ocean against a modern ship. Still dangerous, but lacking finesse.
    As to fitting our perspectives. When the PCs go to witness the temporal accord signing our hand weapons and our ship are not particularly out gunned by anything there. Of course some of those ships were from our own time. But it shows we are not totally outgunned. So a 25th century squadron pursues a group of sphere builders to the battle makes sense.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,817 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    With all this talk of big things coming to STO this year, I like most, was left wondering what those things might be. I played through the current (at the time of this post) Feature Episode and then it occurred to me:
    The Battle of Procyon V from the Enterprise Episode ‘Azati Prime’ - how amazing would it be if our character participated in it?

Think about it – we’ve become involved in the Temporal Cold War. We saw part of the battle in the aforementioned episode of 'Enterprise'. And most importantly in the context of this discussion, There were ships contemporary to STO’s timeframe there. Those ship classes included:
    Prometheus class
    Dauntless class
    Nova class
    Vorcha Class

So what if the reason those ships were present was that our character led a task-force of 2410 starships, through time, into that point in the future, to participate in the battle of Procyon V?

It would also be a two-fold bonus. Firstly, it would explain why 24th century starships were present at the battle in the episde, and secondly - it would be one heck of a Feature Episode!

The biggest ‘issue’ would be the Enterprise-J, although from what we saw it didn’t participate as such and it could probably be added as a background asset.

Also can't help but wonder if Noye could possibly be the mysterious 'future guy' who manipulated the Suliban. Certainly has the movtivation.

Thoughts?

the suliban future guy was medding in federation affairs but from the sense i got he wasnt entirely interested directly in earth or its people, further he went to a lot of trouble to warn archer of the xindi and about other time travellers. that info was key to saving earth from destruction and it helped cement archer as a hero.

why would noye goto all the trouble to try discredit archer and save him and the federation? that doesnt make much sense, especially if his main aim was to help the tuterians.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    feiqa wrote: »
    Not sure I agree on that. A connie at the time of DS9 would still have fire power and be a threat. Maybe not as much as a modern ship but not as extreme as the Victory to now. This is more like a WW2 ship put on the ocean against a modern ship. Still dangerous, but lacking finesse.
    As to fitting our perspectives. When the PCs go to witness the temporal accord signing our hand weapons and our ship are not particularly out gunned by anything there. Of course some of those ships were from our own time. But it shows we are not totally outgunned. So a 25th century squadron pursues a group of sphere builders to the battle makes sense.

You have a point considering STO does not acknowledge any form of technological differencies throughout time. The NPCs we fight in the TOS-past are also just as tough as ships from "our time" after all pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Let's not forget that Procyon is in the Andoria system. So I wouldn't be surprised if we got an Andoria revamp and a Sphere Builder battlezone there.

As for the chronology, I imagine that Enterprise negated the Battle of Procyon V by destroying the Delphic Expanse spheres in "Zero Hour", and the Sphere Builders were never heard from again. But now, after we messed with the timeline in "Butterfly", Noye brings them back into galactic affairs and the battle happens again in the 25th century.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    feiqa wrote: »

Agreed - and whilst I really don't want to make this an old Vs new compairison,
    Let's not forget that Procyon is in the Andoria system. So I wouldn't be surprised if we got an Andoria revamp and a Sphere Builder battlezone there.

As for the chronology, I imagine that Enterprise negated the Battle of Procyon V by destroying the Delphic Expanse spheres in "Zero Hour", and the Sphere Builders were never heard from again. But now, after we messed with the timeline in "Butterfly", Noye brings them back into galactic affairs and the battle happens again in the 25th century.

Agreed.

Well, regardless of Future Guy and his motivations, I still think that it would be fantastic if the reason we saw 2410 Starship classes at the battle in 'Enterprise' was because the Pastak transported us to the battle for some reason.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    It'd be pretty awesome indeed.

As for Noye being Future guy: I doubt it's him. The Sphere builders got the Xindi to attack Earth. Why would Noye, who's allied with the Sphere builders, inform Archer of this attack and who's behind it?

Then again, we are in a different timeline due to what happened in Butterfly. Maybe Future guy is actually Noye from the timeline where we never used the timeship and the Iconians are ruling the galaxy. Who knows.

Edit: given that we know that the Suliban (and thus Future guy) allied themselves with Daniels once, and that both were fighting the Na'Kuhl, it wouldn't be that implausible. Everyone's fighting against everyone else, that's the impression I got from the Temporal Cold War. Wouldn't be that much of a stretch if people are actually fighting against themselves or their past/future/alternative timeline selves as well ;)
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    I suppose given the time travel element it wouldn't be too far fetched for Starfleet ships from the past to take part if there was some kind of incursion from the builders from the future. Hence the Ent-J getting involved perhaps coming back like the Pastak to aid allied forces. One heck of a slip from the temporal prime directive but suppose it depends on the specifics of the battle and the lead up to it.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Noye is not Future Guy. Future Guy couldn't physically time-travel.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    True. Hadn't thought about that.

Then again, the people behind Enterprise hadn't really thought about nor decided on Future Guy themselves. So maybe there's no one who really fits in. It wouldn't surprise me if we won't see him in STO.

Though it could also be the player character, as some have suggested. Which would mean that we're also sabotaging Enterprise's mission through the Suliban, but ultimately this mission turned out to be pretty important. And we know that the Federation can be kind of hypocritical when changes in the timeline serve them well...
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    Though it could also be the player character, as some have suggested. Which would mean that we're also sabotaging Enterprise's mission through the Suliban, but ultimately this mission turned out to be pretty important. And we know that the Federation can be kind of hypocritical when changes in the timeline serve them well...
    I doubt it. That wouldn't fit female characters. Or any species that have a non-human silhouette, like Gorn. Besides, they just used that plot twist with the Iconians' saving "Other."
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,817 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    risian4 wrote: »
    I doubt it. That wouldn't fit female characters. Or any species that have a non-human silhouette, like Gorn. Besides, they just used that plot twist with the Iconians' saving "Other."

A woman might simply use a hologram to speak through to mask her identity even more.. but I agree its not the player character.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,817 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    warpangel wrote: »
    Noye is not Future Guy. Future Guy couldn't physically time-travel.

How awesome would it be if Future Guy is actually named Future Guy

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    Why does my mind keep reading "future guy" and make me want to say family guy? lol..
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 4,646 Arc User

I actually agree with Braga.
    It could be theorized that Future Guy is a Romulan from the mannerism that he displays. At first I thought Vulcan, however Future Guy is more stern with Romulan type characteristics in his reactions. Could it also be possible that this 'Romulan' was Tal'Shiar, with knowledge about the events of Hobus and the events of what happened after too? Bear in mind that he probably wouldn't want to risk altering events as he had also born witness to the end of the STO Iconian War and that Borg assimilation of Romulus was inevitable (from viewing the records stored in the Temporal Database??
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 36,962 Arc User
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    Why does my mind keep reading "future guy" and make me want to say family guy? lol..

*fist slam* that's it! it all makes sense now...future guy is obviously stewie griffin as an adult!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.