test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NOOBS and PVE/STFs

Does it make any sense to play a mission on the hardest difficulty if you have no idea what to do? Why does this happen everyday? Objectives clearly listed on right side of screen but nope. Still Don't get it.

Comments

• sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    In fairness, there are times the well-practice tactics that work on lower difficulties just don't work on the higher ones. I've gone into an Advanced STF or two after having mastered the Normal version only to fail utterly in terms of contributing to the team. It doesn't happen often with well-meaning players (Advanced and Elite tactics are usually derived from Normal ones), but it does happen.
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    You have to learn the game somehow. I wonder about these "elite" players who seem to have nothing to do in an stf but monitor everyone else's ship. Seems like you should be focused on your objectives, not worrying about how well other players are stacking up against you.
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Does it make any sense to play a mission on the hardest difficulty if you have no idea what to do? Why does this happen everyday? Objectives clearly listed on right side of screen but nope. Still Don't get it.

It could be as sirmayday says above.
    It could also be that they haven't played in a while and don't realize the changes made to STFs.
    It could also be that their strategy is to play the most difficult setting first, because it is then easy to move down to the lower difficulties.
    It could also be that they're just suffering from the modern day malaise of thinking too highly of themselves.

Plenty of reasons, really. Don't expect people to do what you want, so that you can have an easy time of it; you're bound to be disappointed.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User

This is why I build to carry a pug if needed. It helps to have a ship that can do it all. 30k dps and the ocassional grav well is all you need.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Is there a place where these 'noobs' can learn then?

It's not like normal missions are really challenging and make it necessary to follow strategies...
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    If you want to dictate the behavior of others, or dictate standards for skill level and equipment, your one and only option is queuing with a premade team of people you know. When you choose the PUG option, you're explicitly accepting people of all skill levels.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

It is in the nature of a "noob" to defy learning. New players a.k.a. newbies do learn though.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User

It's not like normal missions are really challenging and make it necessary to follow strategies...

You need a "good" team to give you the environment to learn these techniques. Either a good group of friends or a fleet that has events geared towards that. Send me a forum mail and I will be glad to give you (or whoever) more details. My friends and our fleet have weekly events to help anyone do that. Good luck!​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    storules wrote: »

You need a "good" team to give you the environment to learn these techniques. Either a good group of friends or a fleet that has events geared towards that. Send me a forum mail and I will be glad to give you (or whoever) more details. My friends and our fleet have weekly events to help anyone do that. Good luck!​​

(Emphasis mine)

Lol seriously? :p

What I meant was, there are few missions where people get a chance to learn nowadays. Most stuff in, for example, Infected space, is killed so fast that tactics are not really needed anymore.
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    Great. :| Another "GTFO of advanced" thread flaming players whose only crime is trying something new, which means doing something for the first time, and yes failing as they try to get the hang of it.
  • p4hajujup4hajuju Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    I just wish people would look at the team chat from time to time.
    Galavant!
    "Use Temporal Skills to NERF EVERYTHING before it happened!" -Unknown source.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

then teach them what to do. i swear some people feel so entitled to their tripe that in itself doesn't make any sense what so ever.

we all have to start somewhere, do not forget where you started. learn to be more helpful, eh?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mrsmitty81mrsmitty81 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    The one thing I get choked with is the gateway to Grethor. The second part in particular where you have to close the radiation gateways to let the transport ships get to the planet. People are always focused on killing the npc ships which does nothing to help the transports get to the planet. Plus the more transports that get to the planet the more marks rewarded at the end of the stf. Drives me crazy when guys fly around killing npc ships instead of helping with the closing of the radiation portals.

then teach them what to do. i swear some people feel so entitled to their tripe that in itself doesn't make any sense what so ever.

we all have to start somewhere, do not forget where you started. learn to be more helpful, eh?

Agreed with this. Though I must say, those who need the help should also be open to it. Like @p4hajuju said, if only they would read their chat. It can be very tiresome to try and teach a team the basics of a mission when they all keep running around and don't even read their chat. Happens way too often in KAGA for example.

A comment I made in the thread on Gorn jokes:
    I just realised... whenever you create a new character, you get one chat screen with a lot of useless stuff in it: system messages, mission messages, zone chat, inventory: it's all in the same tab a few seconds after character creation.

Possibly another reason why people choose to minimise their chat entirely. Perhaps it would be better if these separate tabs for Zone chat are there by default, and that all the system and mission related info (that will usually appear on screen as well) is disabled by default as well.

I can imagine that, for newer players, all these different channels and are much more annoying than the zone chat they won't encounter until they go to ESD or the Beta Quadrant.

We know how to create separate tabs. Most newer players likely don't and it's the main reason why STF's are failing and some people may appear unwilling to learn in missions.

At least this could cause less people to minimise their chat channels. I think that in most cases it's not that the 'noobs' don't want to learn, there's simply no way to reach them.
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Agreed with this. Though I must say, those who need the help should also be open to it. Like @p4hajuju said, if only they would read their chat. It can be very tiresome to try and teach a team the basics of a mission when they all keep running around and don't even read their chat. Happens way too often in KAGA for example.

A comment I made in the thread on Gorn jokes:
    I just realised... whenever you create a new character, you get one chat screen with a lot of useless stuff in it: system messages, mission messages, zone chat, inventory: it's all in the same tab a few seconds after character creation.

Possibly another reason why people choose to minimise their chat entirely. Perhaps it would be better if these separate tabs for Zone chat are there by default, and that all the system and mission related info (that will usually appear on screen as well) is disabled by default as well.

I can imagine that, for newer players, all these different channels and are much more annoying than the zone chat they won't encounter until they go to ESD or the Beta Quadrant.

We know how to create separate tabs. Most newer players likely don't and it's the main reason why STF's are failing and some people may appear unwilling to learn in missions.

At least this could cause less people to minimise their chat channels. I think that in most cases it's not that the 'noobs' don't want to learn, there's simply no way to reach them.

You forgot a crucial reason people minimize the chatbox. Instead of seeing a few helpful pointers about how they can do better the next time, they get someone flaming the chatbox with words such as "How could you be such a m****rf**king stupid n00b? Why don't you do us real players a favor and commit suicide already?" Noone should be seeing anything like that I don't care how miserable a player that person is.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User

Keep in mind, even veteran players that know what they're doing had to start also at being that newbie that didn't know what was going on.

It's frustrating, yes. Even more frustrating when you try to explain the objectives on what needs to happen (Hello CPA) and people still continue. So I'm the only one trying to get all the objectives while the rest of the team tries and futilely defends DS9 while getting stomped by the NPCs.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    You have to learn the game somehow. I wonder about these "elite" players who seem to have nothing to do in an stf but monitor everyone else's ship. Seems like you should be focused on your objectives, not worrying about how well other players are stacking up against you.

Silly guy...they sprang forth from the head of Zeus knowing how run every hardcore "raid" in every MMO.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Battle of Korfez. What can one do on lower difficulty of that PVE to learn? Oh, wait there is no lower difficulty except Elite. Well, I guess no one gets to do that one.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Battle of Korfez. What can one do on lower difficulty of that PVE to learn? Oh, wait there is no lower difficulty except Elite. Well, I guess no one gets to do that one.

They could always google the strategy before going in. Or if reading isn't their thing, they could watch one of the many youtube videos explaining (and demonstrating) everything they need to know.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    edit- never mind. the OP is clearly a troll who posted and ran far away from the thread
    Spock.jpg

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That was a given but they are going to go in to Elite first time actually playing the PVE. Sure also people could go into pre-mades with their Fleetmates if they are in one.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Not everyone speaks English,,,,some u win some u loose, the answer is if u dont like it dont pug.
    ps i pug 90% of the time,,,,,,its more interesting,,,:) also my chat dont work all the time.
  • nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited February 2016

No it does not make sense. It happens on a daily basis, people refuse to do some simple research first, or even run these missions on normal mode to learn the mechanics. However, I do not see this changing anytime soon. It has been going on for a long time, in many games ;-(
    1Wlp6QH.gif

Suppose you could learn in normal first. If the mechanics are so different in advanced or elite, how about jumping onto the interwebs for a quick search on game play fundamentals in the mission of your choice?

Oh I forgot, these people are usually lazy and want to ride on the gear and skills of others.
    1Wlp6QH.gif

Yes, the internet is full of videos and walkthroughs I hear...
    1Wlp6QH.gif
    Not everyone speaks English,,,,some u win some u loose, the answer is if u dont like it dont pug.
    ps i pug 90% of the time,,,,,,its more interesting,,,:)

I'm sure that @Corvalle posts above YouTube video suggestion provides videos in any chosen language
    1Wlp6QH.gif
    dhopper wrote: »
    The biggest issue in my mind are the "Coat Tail Riders" Those individuals who are obviously going into Advanced and Elite STF's COMPLETELY under powered / geared for the sole purpose of getting the Borg Neural Processors or Ancient Power Cells...Etc. Hoping that the rest of the team will carry them through to completion. They have no regard for the rest of the team who may only be there to gain the marks they need and causing there to be far fewer marks then would normally be. If you go into an advanced Infected and your only able to pull out 2, 3, 8k DPS...... YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING THERE! Stop being so damn selfish and think of other for once in your pathetic lives!! We ALL had to work our way up and have paid our dues to get to the point where we actually contribute to the team.

Perhaps they're working on their gear... that's why they want those BNP's probably.

I'm more annoyed by the tourists who don't help and don't know what to do in KAGA, are not interested in the mission itself and will just practically wait until the nodes are down to jump in the IMR just to get their Borg boff.

And as much as I agree with your statement that they're being selfish... wow. Relax. It's just a game. No need to start screaming or any of that.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User

Well, a very well experienced elite player, can actually do both!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

This discussion has been closed.