test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Was Gravametric torp nerfed?

I used to use the Grav torp for long time and then switched to the Quantum Phase torp. After increasing my Par Gen skill I went back to Grav torp to see the how more devastating it would be, but now it is awful. Throughout an entire STF I might see it proc Grav Rift twice, but also it doesn't proc for all torps now with Torp Spread, it only produces 1 Grav Rift as opposed to multiples like before. Is this a nerf or a bug? It isn't worth slotting now the way it is.

Comments

• Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Not afaik, probably just bad RNG luck.
    Each torpedo has a 33% chance of triggering a rift, and how many you get if any is entirely dependant on luck.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I think that was part of the server stability fix they implemented for Torp spread, so it's not REALLY a nerf or a bug, but a side effect, cause extra effects triggering off of Torp spread was wreaking havoc on the server
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Yeah - all the spread torps got changed to one per for server stability, unfortunately - the rate per regular torp hasn't been affected (or shouldn't be).
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Yes, the problem is a reduced effectiveness to all torpedo spreads which was intended. I use the grav torpedo. It's gone from my #1 damage dealer (minor rift) to being second to grav well. But this may be due also to improvements I've made to the well.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Oh, well this explains why my grav torp was doing badly. I must have missed the changes to torp spreads, what did they do?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Basically, instead of all the torpedoes in the spread doing their thing, the only proc is on your target and whoever is close enough to it to be affected.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    lan451 wrote: »
    Oh, well this explains why my grav torp was doing badly. I must have missed the changes to torp spreads, what did they do?

With stuff like torp spread and high yield (If it fired multiple torps and not a heavy) each torp would have a chance to proc or would proc it's special proc...all of those effects proccing all over the place was causing server lag...same reason they fixed Kemosite as well.

All of those explosions effects were causing havoc on the servers they say so they fixed them...so torpedoes were easily nerfed since all they care about are beams :p
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Already mentioned above, but spread for special torps now only does the special power on the primary target. In some cases (possibly all) they did buff the primary target damage or area effect range though.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Well that's a bummer since I was a heavy torp user. Looks like I might need to re-examine some of my builds.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Just FIY Gravimetric torpedoes still work exactly like this did before, the gravity wells can and WILL trigger and spawn rifts on multiple targets other than your primary target using Torpedo Spread, same as always.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Just FIY Gravimetric torpedoes still work exactly like this did before, the gravity wells can and WILL trigger and spawn rifts on multiple targets other than your primary target using Torpedo Spread, same as always.

Well that's good...haven't used mine in a while. Well to @lan451 I guess it only affected torps that have a guaranteed proc like the Neutronic and that shield draining torp I can't remember the name off hand...quantum phase maybe?
  • Options
    Hmm possibly. Looks like I'm going to have to test a whole bunch of torps now. It's going to take some time though since I collect them. :p
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yeah I was under the impression the Quantum Phase torp got hit with the nerf to change it so it only procs on the main target once. There was never a mention of other torps being changed, and I've certainly not noticed anything different.
    I think the issue is that a lot of newer torps have a 100% proc rate and others like the gravimetric are only 33%, so you can be unlucky and get barely any mini-wells forming.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    maerikcharonmaerikcharon Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    You can always switch to high yield, The Heavy Gravimetric Device always pops the rift. Just make sure you don't face-melt yourself. And the Particle Emission Plasma Torpedo still puts the clouds on every target when you spread, because it's not a proc.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Yeah - I've never had trouble ripping open rifts with high-yield (it's a slow, targetable torpedo, but when do PVE opponents remember point-defense?)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    You can always switch to high yield, The Heavy Gravimetric Device always pops the rift. Just make sure you don't face-melt yourself.

'Deploy Counter-measures' is your friend (brief Kinetic dmg immunity).
    3lsZz0w.jpg