test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry awareness @ STLV

Hey folks, I wanted to bring up potentially bringing up more STO Foundry awareness at STLV this year in August.

Back when a few of us went from StarbaseUGC a couple years ago, we had shirts printed up with our user handles and mission list, with the SBUGC logo on the front. I think this went a long ways toward identifying us as a group and bringing up some awareness to the feature. With this year's event coming up I wanted to ask the group what you guys think might work (and be cost-effective!) in terms of something fun and Foundry-related for use at the convention this year, or if it's practical to do anything at all.

I had a rough idea, below:

Foundry baseball cards:
Say 10 of us participate. Each of us selects a "famous" Foundry character or location, and we design baseball cards with the character/location name and "stats" on the front, with a list of all the possible cards on the back, along with game logo and Foundry branding.
It would then become a "collect them all" game for other people at the con. The 10 of us that participate would draw up "Ask me for my Foundry card" buttons to advertise that we are a card dispensing Foundry author. Voila, we get awareness.

Cost: $25 for 10 buttons, $120 total for the cards (~$12 each/10 people), assuming we can make the artwork ourselves.

Would love to hear any other ideas you guys might have, or feedback on my idea.

Comments

• zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    I think we could do the shirt again, that was a good idea.

Artwork for the characters on a card could just be a screencap of the character?
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • rogueeenterpriserogueeenterprise Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    zorbane wrote: »
    I think we could do the shirt again, that was a good idea.

New styling for those? SBUGC specific?
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    It was fun seeing you guys all in a group with shirts. Cards/buttons would be less visible.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    tacofangs wrote: »
    It was fun seeing you guys all in a group with shirts. Cards/buttons would be less visible.

Definitely less obvious... but the purpose here is to increase branding and awareness for the feature, not necessarily stick out (though admittedly, both would be best!).

If new shirts are the answer I'm up for talking about how we can make them the most effective.
  • johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I'm thinking Riddler-style flashing LED smoking jackets. They'll... Keep us safe while we're... Trekkin at night.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    Well, we have at least one professional graphic designer in the community, @thegreendragoon1 maybe he can whip us up a cool design.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Well, we have at least one professional graphic designer in the community, @thegreendragoon1 maybe he can whip us up a cool design.

Also my first thought.
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    drogyn1701 wrote: »

I probably can. I really don't think this will do much to "increase branding" but they could still be fun things to hand out. Any thoughts on what you'd like to see (themes, iconography, look and feel)?

I was also thinking that it might be nice to whip up something for the devs who have contributed to the Foundry's continuing development. Sort of a recognition for services sort of thing.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    Well back in 2014 our shirts included individualized mission lists on the back. We did have a couple people recognize our missions from that. I'd say do that again plus some kind of new design for the front.

We gave one to Taco that year. I'm sure one or more of us can pitch in to get some more extras for more of the devs than just him this year.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    Personally I would say any newcomers can get their own SBUGC shirts from the original design. What about something new for this year, and bring your old shirts too?

If the goal is to promote the Foundry, I would say make it more applicable (leave off SBUGC, as that branding could be confusing) and focus on something that communicates "I make my own stories in Star Trek Online".

As always, just my 2c
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Foundry awareness?

Pardon my bitterness, but...

How 'aware' do they need to be, after Investigate Officer Reports was removed, thereby negating any need to do a foundry mission, ever? :(​​
    Post edited by tasshena on
    If the goal is to promote the Foundry, I would say make it more applicable (leave off SBUGC, as that branding could be confusing) and focus on something that communicates "I make my own stories in Star Trek Online".

That makes sense to me. Write it. Design it. Build it. Share it. The Foundry for Star Trek Online. Where you create the stories.

• captpfdenniscaptpfdennis Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    Something like "I write for Star Trek" on the front, with "In Star Trek Online's Foundry" on the back. Just a thought.
    25971704528_706d57fcf0_n.jpg
    Hey guys, I put together a quick mockup of a new shirt design. Disclaimer: I am not a graphic designer.

Any thoughts?

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i428/RogueEnterprise/Front_zpsi5m9qerr.png
    http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i428/RogueEnterprise/Back_zpsqawiaqjp.png
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Hey guys, I put together a quick mockup of a new shirt design. Disclaimer: I am not a graphic designer.

Any thoughts?

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i428/RogueEnterprise/Front_zpsi5m9qerr.png
    http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i428/RogueEnterprise/Back_zpsqawiaqjp.png

weather my opinion matters since i wont be going (live in uk and am poor :( ) they do however look cool.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok