test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Flagships

skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
Any thoughts on the T6 Flagships/Scimitar incoming?

Personally, I wish they had gone with something new, something to better define it as a Romulan design, and the head of the Romulan Republic's fleet instead of a redesigned Remen ship. I am not against having Remen ships, I wish they would actually do a few new Remen ships actually.
>:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
[ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]

Comments

• aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    they did it for compibility. To paraphrase the designer "they aren't new ships, they are the old ships and we've just added bits to them". Self evident maybe, but it's a T6 Scimitar, so it has to be, basically, a Scimitar. I would have loved the Flagships to be completely new ships, but that's not how Cryptics update releases work.

Hoping if/when they do actually release a Romulan Science ship, it will be a completely new design, Romulan with Iconian touches maybe, something that when one parks next to you in orbit you have to zoom in on it and go "wow!". Rather than "meh, it's ooookey...", which has been my reaction to all of the Romulan T6 ships so far. (sorry to say, but it's the truth).
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    aliguana wrote: »
    they did it for compibility. To paraphrase the designer "they aren't new ships, they are the old ships and we've just added bits to them". Self evident maybe, but it's a T6 Scimitar, so it has to be, basically, a Scimitar. I would have loved the Flagships to be completely new ships, but that's not how Cryptics update releases work.

Hoping if/when they do actually release a Romulan Science ship, it will be a completely new design, Romulan with Iconian touches maybe, something that when one parks next to you in orbit you have to zoom in on it and go "wow!". Rather than "meh, it's ooookey...", which has been my reaction to all of the Romulan T6 ships so far. (sorry to say, but it's the truth).

They look like totally new ships though, they have very little in design similarities to the T5 Scimitar, at least based on what I have seen. Just a similar basic shape and size. Not that your statement isn't true to Cryptic thinking, because it is totally inline with their lazy easy road work on ships.

Agreed, new design, I like the idea of them using some Iconian tech into a new science ship. If they don't want to do that, maybe a lock box ship similar to the tal-shiar adapted ships, but iconian instead of borg.
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    not gunna lie after seeing some of the fan made concept art for possible T6 Scimis i was really disappointing with the look of the final T6 Scimi :(like this one for example
    grtiggy wrote: »
    not gunna lie after seeing some of the fan made concept art for possible T6 Scimis i was really disappointing with the look of the final T6 Scimi :(like this one for example

That would have been a much better design. I am not into the T6's at this point, debating if I want to buy them to throw my support behind Romulan's or safe eff this TRIBBLE, and pass them up. I doubt the stats will be much different than the T5-U versions, slightly better, and the Command/Uni Lt. Com seat, but that isn't really a selling point to me. (Though Command makes more sense seeing as the flagships are, well, flagships. Was hoping the stats would come today, but it seems we will have to wait until tomorrow to see what is what.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    if ya look at it tho, they DID borrow elements from that.

Personally I think between the 3 ships I can see bits n bobs to make 1 cool lookin scimitard variant but they're WAY to stupid priced for me. $50 for pixel ships? pass. Also I hope its just the shots we've seen but imo the hull material on them looks like that odd plastic that use on toys for children under 4...
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    generally I do like the "big packs" - as I have quite a few characters and that way I don't have to get a fleet Version.
    The Bortas was outdated and allthough I upgraded it to T5-U I never flew it since the command cruisers came out.
    Scimitar is still in use but I always felt like ...well it's not a T6 ship...

so I should be happy, shouldn't I?
    Then how come that I somehow feel cheated?

I have bought the Bortas and scimitar pack, and upgraded 3 versions of those 6 ships.Now I think the Price for a full pack is OK - I guess it'll be about 12k Zen or 10k Zen at introduction. It's just the fact that I paid about as much for 2/3 of a all factions pack that will be obsolete at the Moment I get the new one... So essentially I paid 11.400 Zen that I "lost" now - or at least if I buy the new pack.
    I think there should be a reduced Price for those who already bought the previous packages.

18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • variise1984variise1984 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Well I have been gone for 2 years and my favorite ship was the Scimitar prior to leaving. I think it's fortuitous that the new flagship is another Scimitar. I had zero interest in the T6 ships and I was just about settled into using my old T5 Scimitar until now.

I think the fact that we can change it's look and mix and match it with the previous versions is just absolutely perfect. Even more when you think about the fact that there are 3 coming in total with at least some variation between them for a total of up to 6 Scimitars that you can mix and match.

My favorite spaceship in any Sci-Fi is the Scimitar so I couldn't be happier right now. Apart from unlocking starship traits to use on my Scimitar I have no interest in playing anything else. :smiley:
    4kDVOG9.jpg
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I like the new look granted it's not purely a Romulan ship in design , but it's only natural that two species so closely linked as the Romulans and Remans are that they would borrow concept designs from each other.
    I wouldn't mind seeing some new Reman designs too but I think as far as flag ships go the more Romulan look fits better as a Romulan flag ship. I'd wager it's probably not the first time they've worked together for instance the Haakona's bottom half looks distinctly Reman to me while the top half looks Romulan.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
    I like the new look granted it's not purely a Romulan ship in design , but it's only natural that two species so closely linked as the Romulans and Remans are that they would borrow concept designs from each other.
    I wouldn't mind seeing some new Reman designs too but I think as far as flag ships go the more Romulan look fits better as a Romulan flag ship. I'd wager it's probably not the first time they've worked together for instance the Haakona's bottom half looks distinctly Reman to me while the top half looks Romulan.

I am not sure on the look yet, but the other part is very true. The RR would work with the Remens as an equal on these kinds of things, which really means we should get more ships in the future that show design ideas from the Remens. Which I really wish we would get a Remen ship or two, the KDF have Nausican and Orion ships, the Federation have, uh, mostly Starfleet designs actually. There is the Vulcan ship and the Andorian ships, the Caitan ship, that is all I can think of.
  • variise1984variise1984 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I have to concur on the adding of Reman ships for RR. It's not like they have a huge array of races to choose from.

It would make sense for them to create a set of 3 Reman ships based on a cut down version of the Scimitar but still Fed cruiser sized. Then later on add a set of 3 RR versions of those 3 Reman ships similar to what they did with the Scimitar. It makes perfect logical sense. RR players get 6 more ships to play with and it's in line with the dev's plans and adds a much needed variety in the overall look of the RR ship lineup.
    4kDVOG9.jpg
  • michael#8928 michael Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I quite like the new ships from what I have seen. Taking the Reman Scimitar design and making it more Romulan, I think, actually works well. Someone above posted a fan design of the T6 Scimitar and yeah, that was awesome. But I think what we got is pretty awesome too. I was hoping for some new Romulan ships so I am excited.
    I quite like the new ships from what I have seen. Taking the Reman Scimitar design and making it more Romulan, I think, actually works well. Someone above posted a fan design of the T6 Scimitar and yeah, that was awesome. But I think what we got is pretty awesome too. I was hoping for some new Romulan ships so I am excited.

I am more sold on the designs after going through the pictures multiple times yesterday. Thinking the Kopesh with the Flambard's nacelles, not sure on the wings yet. May just keep the Kopesh's.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Well, first of all the T5/U scimi is everything but obsolete. Sure 2/3 may have gotten a lt.cmdr slot ( the tac one didn't :( ) but even then it's still not vastly superior.
    As for the designs, they look pretty great but that's neither reman nor romulan, that's the goddamn Batman. Srlsy, paint them black and you can put them in the next movie. :D
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User

Sorry man, that thing looks like a pile of iron filings under a magnet.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    After getting a good look at it I'm kind of disappointed in the whole hollow front looks incomplete and awkward.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
    After getting a good look at it I'm kind of disappointed in the whole hollow front looks incomplete and awkward.

I like most everything else on the Romulan design but I will agree, a more solid front hull would have been better, at least to me.

The Romulan wing style to me is fabulous with the variations.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User

I like most everything else on the Romulan design but I will agree, a more solid front hull would have been better, at least to me.

The Romulan wing style to me is fabulous with the variations.

Well, the good thing is you can use all the original scimitar parts even if you don't own it. Though if you wan the tulwar & falchion parts you need to buy them.
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    the T5 scimitar sort of looked like a Varanus with wings attached.
    And the Varanus was designed by Toyota Motor Company in the 1980s...
    The T6 ships look nice
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
    wardcalis wrote: »
    Woot. 146kdps. Awesome

Did you continue with that Torp Boating Scimitar experiment?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • rodneyp803rodneyp803 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Wow. way to TRIBBLE up a perfectly good ship design that Should have been made better for a T6. The person approving these designs is probably the same person approving fed design. Stop. Give someone else the reigns who understands Romulan logic. the R.R.W. is not the Romulan star empire. they take designs that work from other species for a reason. This ship should have taken aspects from the Borg inspired ships to separate themselves further from the star empire. I gotta admit im getting tired of having a T6 science ship with only 3 count em 3 science slots. im just fed up with whoever is approving R.R.W ships. You created this playable class LET US PLAY IT CORRECTLY.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    rodneyp803 wrote: »
    This ship should have taken aspects from the Borg inspired ships to separate themselves further from the star empire.
    umm... lol... no... The republic wants to DISTANCE itself from the Imperials, not embrace some of the more sinister, and desperate, aspects of it. Even most Imperialists shy away from Borg tech, and the 2 adapted vessels were done because the remnants saw what a frikkin MINING ship did when adapted. They were a shortcut to increasing the power and lethality of existing RSE designs so as to intimidate the Federation, and strike back at the Klingon Empirem which was gobbling up chunks of the Star Empire's frontier at the time.

Now I am all for seeing more adapted vessels, esp at t5u or t6, but the should MOST DEFINITELY NOT be Republican in origin. The RSE is a corrupt, unsalvagable, ghost of itself now under a bad joke of an Empress. They've got a proven method(s) of adapting mogai and d'derp, and their need to project power with their ever fewer warships is greater than ever. I can totally see an Adapted Dhelan Retrofit, Improved Adapted Destroyer, and Improved Adapted Battlcruiser. Even perhaps an Adapted T'varo Retrofit. These are existing Imperial designs and proven in the last few wars by Republican Captains, giving them more juice with the Borg tech would make a shitton of sense to Imperial Remnants. A fantastic way to take existing resources and upgrade them to badass-ness.

However I don't think we'll see these and if we do it'll be via a damned Star Empire Lockbox >.<
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    rodneyp803 wrote: »
    Wow. way to TRIBBLE up a perfectly good ship design that Should have been made better for a T6. The person approving these designs is probably the same person approving fed design. Stop. Give someone else the reigns who understands Romulan logic. the R.R.W. is not the Romulan star empire. they take designs that work from other species for a reason. This ship should have taken aspects from the Borg inspired ships to separate themselves further from the star empire. I gotta admit im getting tired of having a T6 science ship with only 3 count em 3 science slots. im just fed up with whoever is approving R.R.W ships. You created this playable class LET US PLAY IT CORRECTLY.

I'm in agreement on looks, and it looks like they were considering incorporating more of the pointed look from the Tal Shiar Adapted ships and/or the spikey fan designs (see: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/ea/20/ea20b8d8ed4e32a464f14d6ccf9f74ab1455584683.jpg particularly 9, 12, 13, 18) but ended up backing off a bit on the spikey-ness.

I think you're confusing other faction ships on the console layout, though, as the Science leaning Flambard T6 Scimitar has 5 Science consoles, the maximum Sci consoles allowed under current Cryptic ship designs.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I'm sort of happy the Republic's tending to go a little less spiky, though I can understand the other perspective on the issue - I feel like they at least, design wise, fit in where the other T6 ships are going, but I haven't seen them up-close in game.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • scrag0416scrag0416 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    I have not bought the new ships...I will but not yet. My issue with the Scimitar is that it is a one off single purpose ship. It was never intended for series production and it's single purpose was the destruction of Earth and the Federation. Further the overall trend on Romulan designs look more like reskinned Bat Planes. Go to the movies...see the upcoming Batman Vs Superduperman and behold is the next Romulan Battlecruiser. When the Empire opted to embrace stealth and use a cloaking device as part of it's tactics there would be significant engineering trying to minimize any extraneous emissions. to allow for quicker energy transfer, and to also spend engineering effort that even when not cloaked they would use low observables...but that would be with more of something to expect from the actual Romulan Empire. Not this flavor. Here we have a group of refugees who are trying to set up house on some weird planet with squishy octopod things....so as refugees who are looking to get assistance from the Klingons or Federation you would think that the priority would be not building one off death machines....but then again whoever wrote the storyline apparently never worried about big picture and simply wanted train wreck something Romulan into the game....