test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make patrol and mini-missions replayable again.

snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
Dear Developer or whoever it may concern.

In the early days of Star Trek Online. Everything was re-playable, this included mini missions like "Trade Deal" on Starbase 39-Sierra and "Temple Offerings" on Deep Space 9. It also included all the system patrols spread throughout the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

For some reason all these mini missions and patrol missions was turned into a one time thing. That was a bad decision in my eyes as a lot of these patrol missions have good and beautiful maps and fun to do missions that are short and easy to play.

With the removal of the replayability of these missions you loose a great deal of content to replay, you loose a great deal of maps, NPC's and just in general things to do.

There are so many planets you can do system patrols in, so many NPC's to interact with, so many mini missions and just fun small patrol missions. Being limited to only playing these ONCE per character is rather foolish.

Being a Star Trek game one of the most fun things I experienced when this game was released, was being able to travel throughout the Alpha and Beta quadrants, exploring the Roddenberry universe and do these patrol missions, and just looking around on the various surface maps you have created for these missions. Some of them are very pretty and interesting.

And the NPC's and mission itself can be quite fun, even though they just contain small references to Star Trek events. My point is that all these small patrol systems is what made this game into the one Star Trek game. Where as advertised, the Star Trek universe truly is displayed on a large open world scale.

This is the only game where you can actually explore the Roddenberry universe on a large scale, being able to only explore 90% of the places ONCE is rather foolish.

So therefor I ask you Cryptic, Developer or whoever it might concern. Please read this and please take it into consideration. Make all the fun mini missions and the patrol missions all over the Alpha and Beta quadrants replayable once again.

So we players can enjoy these fun small missions, the NPC's and the beautiful maps over and over again.
So we can explore the large Star Trek universe you have created for us... More than once.

If you are worried about grinding, you can do so when the mission is being replayed there is no reward. Or you can put a cooldown timer on it or something. Just atleast allow us to enjoy them again and again.
Thank you! :)

- STO fan since Beta release.

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I actually have to agree with this. A lot of the Alpha/Beta Patrols were actually pretty interesting and IMO fun. Sure a lot of them were the same "kill 5 groups" style, but the environments were fun. Asteroid fields, planetary rings... actually having to go up or down...

Bringing back those patrols means people will spread out in Sector Space more.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    And it will give us a chance to explore the Roddenberry universe again and again. Even if it's just being in some system that was mentioned in the background on TOS.. Or TNG like once or twice.

The ability to play these missions and just explore the Roddenberry universe is what made this game soooo fun. Don't get me wrong, the Episode Missions and stuff are great too.

But only being able to play these patrol missions once, and even the mini missions for that manner.. It's just such a huge restriction on such a huge universe. Remove it and let us fully enjoy every bit of the Roddenberry universe you have presented on a grand scale! :)
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    I agree, would be nice to be able to do patrol missions again. I don't mind if it even just rewards EC, or just the points that don't turn into spec points. Delta quad and Tewa Dewa patrols are repeatable after all.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • asindar1asindar1 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Would be nice to replay as a FED, would be even nicer it you could do them as a KDF. Alas, this would require Cryptic to spend time and money, with no real return. As the Ferengi always asks, "Where is the profit in that?"
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    IMHO Cryptic could have greatly improved the Iconian War arc if they had included some new Delta Rising style patrol missions set during the war, would have given the war some more depth. But I agree that they should re-enable mission replay for the old patrols.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    IMHO Cryptic could have greatly improved the Iconian War arc if they had included some new Delta Rising style patrol missions set during the war, would have given the war some more depth. But I agree that they should re-enable mission replay for the old patrols.

What they SHOULD of done, was have system alerts where the Iconians had attacked say Betazed. Admiral calls in and requests all hands to Betazed to fight off the Iconian attack.

Start with a space fight, and you have objectives, achieve it, and you stave off the attack, fail it turns into a ground campaign. Fail there you get kicked out of the system and now you have to go in reverse order to kick the Iconians out, and the Iconians are now dug in and are even harder to evict.

Should give some rewards, more for repulsing the Iconians, but you give some for going back in and pushing the Iconians out. Ofcourse it would be across multiple instances so more players could play.

But something like that to actually have the feel of a Galactic war, not just, oh we attack here and there, but there is no urgency, no real feeling of "Hey these guys are just kicking us down across everywhere! FIGHT BACK!"
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I absolutely support this point. It would improve the game vastly. I especially enjoyed the diplomatic corps missions. When the first contact missions were introduced I remember they were such a welcome addition. Cryptic, if there is something simple that can be done to improve the game relatively easily, this is it!
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    No, people would exploit such quick missions to farm xp and whatever rewards they give
    As long as they have an XP to time spent ratio comparable to any other repeatable mission, and little or no dilithium, I fail to see how it could be exploited. The exploitation with previous patrol missions involved missions that were providing far more xp than intended.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I agree, bring back the patrols
    Thanks for all the support :D
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    No, people would exploit such quick missions to farm xp and whatever rewards they give

Even assuming this is true, so what?

DOWN with the "everyone should play the way I want them to play" mentality. DOWN!!! :mad:
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    That's why I said they just give out EC or some xp that doesn't turn into the spec points. Then, if you play it because you're low level, you get some levelling xp, and if you're top tier, you wont be able to exploit it, just play it for fun.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    Yes, as mentioned these are missions and mini-missions we just want to be able to re-play for fun! Not for grind. I would be totally okay with the re-play even offering no kind of rewards. Just being able to re-play them when you are bored etc. :)
  • lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    Most of the missions are still there...fly near a planet and the patrols pop up...but idk if there is a replay timer...they are scattered around the sectors
  • link8912link8912 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I definitely would like to see the old patrol missions touched up and be replay able like to ones in the delta quadrant and around New Romulus, maybe like those mission they could add different reputation marks to them as rewards, so for example any patrol missions in or around Borg Space would earn you Omega Force Marks, perhaps they could turn the old diplomatic missions into repeatable patrol missions, have them be the same scenario as before just in a different system.

Also another thought to encourage players to play different patrol missions why not make the wrapper missions (those non-repeatable missions in the Delta Rising Arc for the patrol missions) repeatable and make the rewards for them those rare items used to obtain MK XII gear from different reputation, so for example if I did one wrapper mission witch would have 4 or 5 systems to patrol in Borg Space I would not only get the Omega Marks from each system but once the wrapper mission is finished I would earn a Borg Neural Processor, they could have a 20 hour cool down on them so not only would they not get abused but encourage players to play the other wrapper missions to.
    Post edited by link8912 on
    "I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."
    - Jean-Luc Picard
    link8912 wrote: »
    Also another thought to encourage players to play different patrol missions why not make the wrapper missions (those non-repeatable missions in the Delta Rising Arc for the patrol missions) repeatable and make the rewards for them those rare items used to obtain MK XII gear from different reputation, so for example if I did one wrapper mission witch would have 4 or 5 systems to patrol in Borg Space I would not only get the Omega Marks from each system but once the wrapper mission is finished I would earn a Borg Neural Processor, they could have a 20 hour cool down on them so not only would they not get abused but encourage players to play the other wrapper missions to.

We had something like that back in the Beta Days, Captain Sulu would give you missions to "Patrol the bla bla bla sector", then you had to patrol like 3 or 5 star systems in order to complete the mission.

kate370 wrote: »
    link8912 wrote: »

We had something like that back in the Beta Days, Captain Sulu would give you missions to "Patrol the bla bla bla sector", then you had to patrol like 3 or 5 star systems in order to complete the mission.

Wait, where's Sulu??
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    I really want this badly.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

They would most likely have the same cooldown timer as the Tau Dewa and Delta patrols.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)