test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not even remotely upset, but I *AM* curious >:D

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »
    I'm not inactive and I got it

Yep, some clarification, on Cryptic's side, would be nice.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    I doubt that will happen...

Cryptic has done something similar over on the NW side, where I was one of the lucky actives ones to get the gifts... I don't recall Cryptic coming out then to make a statement.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    I doubt that will happen...

Cryptic has done something similar over on the NW side, where I was one of the lucky actives ones to get the gifts... I don't recall Cryptic coming out then to make a statement.

Is it Cryptic or PWE sending the e-mails though?
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    At the time, it was Cryptic...
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    Never done a winter or summer event or that omega thing, only email's i get from cryptic are 2 day's after something has already started & as op said thank you for buying zen.

Dont care about the ship as dont play fed but it would be interesting to no why & how they choose who recives it.

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Never done a winter or summer event or that omega thing, only email's i get from cryptic are 2 day's after something has already started & as op said thank you for buying zen.

Dont care about the ship as dont play fed but it would be interesting to no why & how they choose who recives it.

Heh...
    The Nagus and I are friendly, but we're hardly the same person.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Never done a winter or summer event or that omega thing, only email's i get from cryptic are 2 day's after something has already started & as op said thank you for buying Zen.

Don't care about the ship as don't play fed but it would be interesting to no why & how they choose who receives it.

Heh...
    The Nagus and I are quite friendly at times, but we're hardly the same person.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Hmm well I didn't bother with the winter event at all soo maybe a link there?
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• sauron90805sauron90805 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    What's sad is I got the email for the free Andromeda class back in August but didn't see it for a while, about a month or so, tried to redeem the code and it had expired.
  • ajalenajalen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    I have over $200 worth of zen sitting in the bank

only 200 dollars ? i expect more from Grand Nagus .........

mzspQIG.jpg

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    ajalen wrote: »

He hasn't told you how much Latinum he has.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    My brother had a code of a T6 Pathfinder some time ago, he was inactive for.. 6 to 7 months... i'm happy for him, wish my son had one of those ships, but he is a very active player, like me. I'm ok, that they give away ships and stuff, been here since 2010 almost :)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Some get the promo, some don't. Cryptic doesn't need to reveal how they select the recipients, it's probably just a random autmation process. No reason to be upset about that (which OP you seem to be pig-2.gif, otherwise you would have cut that part pig-3.gif)​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Some get the promo, some don't. Cryptic doesn't need to reveal how they select the recipients, it's probably just a random autmation process. No reason to be upset about that (which OP you seem to be , otherwise you would have cut that part)​​

Oh yes, I am absolutely frothing at the mouth because I didn't get a ship that I don't even want, and could get for free any time if I actually did want it. And this is why reading comprehension is such a valuable skill :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Oh yes, I am absolutely frothing at the mouth because I didn't get a ship that I don't even want, and could get for free any time if I actually did want it. And this is why reading comprehension is such a valuable skill :D

"Tooootallly not upset here - at all! - I mean I don't even want that ship. Absolutely not. But - why didn't I get it?" pig-2.gif

(At first I meant it in a humorous way, which is why I included smileys, then you responded in that smug passive-aggressive way but then I realized what we say just might not translate well in written form so let's just assume that)​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    ajalen wrote: »

Like I said, I already have all of the ships I want. This is just the left-over :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    cem3212 wrote: »
    mirrorchaos is just being pretentious inserting non-proven conjecture to insinuate the negative to thegrandnagus1.

Yup, that's it exactly. But then again, this is typical of his kind. I'm not going to use the T-word, but yeah, we're all thinking it...

As far as the allegedly-free alleged T6 ship, I'm with OP. I don't want it, I'm not upset at all to have missed out on it, but I am curious.
  • cem3212cem3212 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    I'm guessing Cryptic/PWE will have their plot remain cloaked in secrecy & not even address any query about this. It's the same tactic they used during the Andromeda giveaway & previous ones. It's not that they have to explain, but I would think they would want to for a positive connection with their community & transparency.

It's not about entitlement, or being upset about exclusiveness versus inclusiveness. The haves & the have-nots. Simply seeking a clarification about what criteria/metrics is used to earn such admiration & gifts from Cryptic/PWE when clearly some of us are not by Cryptic's/PWE's judgment. They don't have to give anything for free, but there's a difference when all have a chance at something compared to only a select few are given a chance & not knowing the reason. It's human nature to wonder, "Why wasn't I good enough?"

I just don't understand why exclude current/active players from the same offer. What harm would that do?

Was this a tax ride off ploy? Was it a RNG lottery? Did you have to be inactive for 3-6 months? Did you have to say something positive on social media to get the offer? If you ever said something negative were you blacklisted? Maybe it's because you bought something specific? Maybe it's because you maxed-out all your Ground Skill Points? Did you have to sign-up for email notifications? Did you have to have so much Zen banked? Did you have to had purchased Zen? They're all possibilities & more about why some received & some didn't.

The mystery will continue undoubtedly.
  • blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Only an actual employee/consultant of PWE/Cryptic could actually answer your question, but I'll try to give some insight into lapsed reactivation - which is all this is.

The primary reason for lapsed reactivation is because it's almost always cheaper to acquire a warm prospect (someone who has shown interest in your product before) than to spark interest in a completely random stranger to your product.

"Cheaper" is determined by many things, but some common factors are time between first contact and first purchase, number and type of contacts needed to make first conversion, cost to the company of any premiums offered, staff time needed to create and implement a plan, and so on. Sending one email to 10,000 inactive subscribers is likely to generate more conversions (say you need a quick boost to numbers before the quarter ends) quickly than trying to launch an advertising campaign to find completely new people.

Selection criteria for who to attempt to reactivate varies wildly. What numbers are you trying to hit? What is your primary conversion goal - making a purchase, just logging in, something else? What KPIs (key performance indicators) are you using to measure success or failure?

Depending on these answers, you may target people based on any number of criteria - most commonly RFM (recency, frequency, and monetary) models. You might look only at people who made a purchase last year but not this year, or people who have not logged in over the past 6 months AND have made at least one cash purchase of $10 or more, or people who have made at least $90 worth of cash purchases since they started but haven't made any purchases in 3 months.

Basically, the potential combinations get mind-boggling. Only someone who set the selection criteria could answer your question - and that assumes that the selection/data is even accurate.

Lapsed reactivation has come under serious fire, though, because a lot of companies do fall into the trap of offering great deals to "bad" buyers while forgetting about their "loyal" buyers. Not only does this breed ill-will, it trains bad buying behavior (why buy at full price if I can just wait a month and it'll be half price?). The key is to offer parity, or even better deals to your loyal supporters.

Edit: I forgot to mention that, when determining deals and parity, perceived value is what's critical, not actual value. A $5 throw away watch can be more successful at converting than a $12 T-shirt if people believe that watch is worth a lot more than the shirt. Look up just about any mobile phone's pricetag and the actual cost to manufacture and you'll understand immediately the power of perceived value.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    It may be related to whether or not you have one or more characters below level 60. The code is supposed to boost one captain to 60, and you get the extra XP will gain spec points instead if you're higher than level 50, at least according to the fine print of at least one screen shot I saw, so it'd make sense that it's intended to target chars lower than 60.

All my chars are level 60 thanks to the Admiralty system, so I wouldn't expect a code, and have not recieved one.
    This may be the biggest reason why.
    when the last give away went out i was among the many other who didn't get a t6 galaxy (didn't care just pointing it out), however since then i have 4 alts that are not even lvl 50 and 3 more who have stayed lvl 50-60 since then due to not bothering with them.

now i think i saw this mail in my box a few days ago, but i think i accidentally deleted it as i didn't know what it was but im not 100% sure.

if it was that then it could have some relation to having characters not at max lvl for a long time.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    Also, some people forget that as a "loyal" customer who plays almost every day you are partaking in all the events, get dil weekends constantly, get giveaways, get the anniversary and event ships - these are your "loyalty" rewards. But if someone not playing gets a reactivation promo it's suddenly "unfair" and doesn't value "loyal customers". People are just unhappy by nature.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    Also, some people forget that as a "loyal" customer who plays almost every day you are partaking in all the events, get dil weekends constantly, get giveaways, get the anniversary and event ships - these are your "loyalty" rewards. But if someone not playing gets a reactivation promo it's suddenly "unfair" and doesn't value "loyal customers". People are just unhappy by nature.​​

LOL. No, you have a funny way of twisting things. :) Actually showing up every day, working your TRIBBLE off for a bit of Dilithium, that's just grinding (which, perchance, may *lead* to a loyalty reward). Point is, the two are not the same.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Right. But the question of *this* thread is *not* about inactive people being given a free ship. The question was why one *active* player would be given it, but not another. Those are 2 completely different issues.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Right. But the question of *this* thread is *not* about inactive people being given a free ship. The question was why one *active* player would be given it, but not another. Those are 2 completely different issues.

Zactly!

Am I upset?! No;

Am I jealous? No;

Would I mind getting 3,000 Zen worth items offered too? No

Does the latter prompt me to wonder why some (also active) people do, and others don't? Yes.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    I just don't understand why exclude current/active players from the same offer. What harm would that do?

That part actually makes total sense, to me. The people who are currently playing your game are the ones spending money. So if you give one of them a free ship, then you just lost a potential sale.

But people *not* playing your game *aren't* spending money, so giving them a free ship doesn't lose any sale. It potentially brings them back to buy something else.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Meh, It's not like Cryptic was giving away bugships as Christmas presents to podcast personalities or anything ..... :D
    Post edited by vengefuldjinn on
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

That part actually makes total sense, to me. The people who are currently playing your game are the ones spending money. So if you give one of them a free ship, then you just lost a potential sale.

But people *not* playing your game *aren't* spending money, so giving them a free ship doesn't lose any sale. It potentially brings them back to buy something else.

Sounds logical, but it's more complicated than that. See:
    Lapsed reactivation has come under serious fire, though, because a lot of companies do fall into the trap of offering great deals to "bad" buyers while forgetting about their "loyal" buyers. Not only does this breed ill-will, it trains bad buying behavior (why buy at full price if I can just wait a month and it'll be half price?). The key is to offer parity, or even better deals to your loyal supporters.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Sounds logical, but it's more complicated than that. See:

I did see that. And I agree it breeds "ill will" in the community. But that still doesn't change the fact that I understand why they do it from a business perspective. They would rather have a little forum drama(since we only make up a small percentage of the community) than sacrifice all of the potential sales by giving away the free T6 ship to all current players.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    Hmm, maybe it could be the metrics (as a general term, better said what ever they used to determine hours played and whatnot) that failed to give proper results on whom to get the ship or not. It wouldnt be the first time when they said their metrics said something yet the actual in-game situations was saying otherwise.
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe it could be the metrics (as a general term, better said what ever they used to determine hours played and whatnot) that failed to give proper results on whom to get the ship or not. It wouldnt be the first time when they said their metrics said something yet the actual in-game situations was saying otherwise.

Yeah, I think it is safe to assume that *some* "metrics" are behind this. Otherwise, the situation would be Cryptic choosing to give the ship to some active people but not others, which doesn't sound likely.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg