test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not even remotely upset, but I *AM* curious >:D

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
Yesterday/today, some former/inactive players got an email awarding them a free t6 ship. Before I go any further, I want to be absolutely clear that I am in no way upset by this, for the following reasons:

1) there is nothing wrong with a business offering former customers something free to entice them to come back

2) call me crazy, but I've never actually been a fan of the Defiant. I don't *dislike* it, but it's just not something I'm crazy to fly either.

3) I already get all of the ships I want for free. I have a pretty good system worked out trading dilithium for zen, and I have over $200 worth of zen sitting in the bank because I already have all of the ships I want.

Of course, those last 2 reasons are personal to me, and I understand they may not apply to others. That being the case, the main reason I'm going to go forward with is #1. So, again, there is nothing wrong with a business offering former customers something free to entice them to come back. I'm not upset, and I'm not confused or curious or anything else about that. If we're all on the same page, keep reading.

The part that I am curious about, is that some people have now confirmed that they have gotten these emails even though they are *NOT* inactive. They are *current/active* players, who have been playing for some time. So, if these people are telling the truth, my question would be:
why are some current players getting a free ship, while other current players aren't?

Again. I'm not upset. I don't even *care* about this ship. But I am...curious :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Perhaps they have had multiple accounts, some of which fit whatever database query Cryptic/PWE used to find the target for the mailing.

Perhaps there was a bug in the database query that Cryptic/PWE used.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Perhaps they have had multiple accounts, some of which fit whatever database query Cryptic/PWE used to find the target for the mailing.

Perhaps there was a bug in the database query that Cryptic/PWE used.

Great theories!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    It may be related to whether or not you have one or more characters below level 60. The code is supposed to boost one captain to 60, and you get the extra XP will gain spec points instead if you're higher than level 50, at least according to the fine print of at least one screen shot I saw, so it'd make sense that it's intended to target chars lower than 60.

All my chars are level 60 thanks to the Admiralty system, so I wouldn't expect a code, and have not recieved one.
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    I'm not inactive and I got it
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Yesterday/today, some former/inactive players got an email awarding them a free t6 ship. Before I go any further, I want to be absolutely clear that I am in no way upset by this, for the following reasons:

1) there is nothing wrong with a business offering former customers something free to entice them to come back

2) call me crazy, but I've never actually been a fan of the Defiant. I don't *dislike* it, but it's just not something I'm crazy to fly either.

3) I already get all of the ships I want for free. I have a pretty good system worked out trading dilithium for zen, and I have over $200 worth of zen sitting in the bank because I already have all of the ships I want.

Of course, those last 2 reasons are personal to me, and I understand they may not apply to others. That being the case, the main reason I'm going to go forward with is #1. So, again, there is nothing wrong with a business offering former customers something free to entice them to come back. I'm not upset, and I'm not confused or curious or anything else about that. If we're all on the same page, keep reading.

The part that I am curious about, is that some people have now confirmed that they have gotten these emails even though they are *NOT* inactive. They are *current/active* players, who have been playing for some time. So, if these people are telling the truth, my question would be:
    why are some current players getting a free ship, while other current players aren't?

Again. I'm not upset. I don't even *care* about this ship. But I am...curious :p

i suspect i know where this answer is when i start asking. so i may as not beat around the bush, a clear entitlement claim with emotional tones to it even if the op wont be forthcoming.

as for cryptics choice? they dont answer to you, me or anyone except PWE, it is their choice if they wish it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.

i suspect i know where this answer is when i start asking. so i may as not beat around the bush, a clear entitlement claim with emotional tones to it even if the op wont be forthcoming.

as for cryptics choice? they dont answer to you, me or anyone except PWE, it is their choice if they wish it.

Entitled to what? A ship I don't want? And I never said Cryptic answered to me. I'm simply a guy posting a thread on a message board like everyone else. Cryptic answers some questions, so we'll see. Either way, there is no need for ad hominem.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • drazziidrazzii Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    This is not the first time they've given out a free T6 ship to a specific list of accounts. Last time I saw it happen was with the T6 Galaxy (I believe). The same kind of questions and frustration was brought up then too, and I don't know if any specific answer was actually given. I'm with you, OP--although I don't have the "money in the bank" like you do with your zen or own most ships--I do not begrudge PWE for enticing some back into the game as it not only helps the economy but also possibly the PvE queues and general game. I am, however, curious what variables/conditions they were looking for when giving away these ships. (And I admit, I kind of wish I got one of those emails too!) :smiley:

I just don't believe we'll get an answer form PWE/Cryptic, unfortunately.
    aV2IRVJ.png
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Well since this is a gimme my free stuffs thread. Can I Haz my OP I win Click now? Preferable.in console form called
    Console - Universal - Power of Q
    Set all targets in 50km to Status: Kill
    Generate Q flash animation within 50km
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• banatinebanatine Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I've also been curious about stuff like this too. because back when the first round of those e-mail went out, i had been inactive for over a year, but i never got one. And i didn't have the Andromeda already, and most of my toons weren't lvl 60 yet, or even CLOSE to maxing on spec points. But again, i don't actually care about not getting them either.

Sometimes, people are just genuinely curious about WHY things happen, and not about why it didn't happen to THEM.
    Real Temporal Operative: Purchased the Special Temporal Agent pack before it was even officially announced!
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    I am getting a bit fed up of it TBH, I play a lot throw money to the game and NEVER get anything like this....

Maybe i should stop playing and spending money see if they send me a mail to come back.... LOL​​
    JtaDmwW.png
  • tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    banatine wrote: »
    Sometimes, people are just genuinely curious about WHY things happen, and not about why it didn't happen to THEM.

Yep. I'm not bent out of shape about it at all (not really into the Andromeda nor T6 defiant, and not really a jealous type in general), but one of those future giveaways might just be a ship I'm interested in, and I'm a bit curious how far out of the profile for this sort of thing I am.
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I made the last thread about this. I will also say this is not the first time they did a free ship give-a-way for supposedly inactive players to come back, but again even then people who were already active got that ship as well (i forget what it was).

So it leaves a bad taste in my mouth they keep doing this, especially since i've gone months without playing before as well. Then again I don't have a fed character so maybe thats the problem.

edit: I think i just remembered what the last free ship was, I think it was the T6 ambassador or andromeda?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    drazzii wrote: »
    I am, however, curious what variables/conditions they were looking for when giving away these ships. (And I admit, I kind of wish I got one of those emails too!) :smiley: .

The way I'd go if I were a PR person sitting in the ivory tower of PWE HQ, sipping my coffee from a gold plated mug and having my feet messaged by....

...I may have gotten a little off track.

Anyway what I'd think about is marketplace activity. If someone's been playing the game and hasn't acquired any, or many, T6 ships then I might want to entice them with a free sample which could lead to them becoming a more regular c-store customer.

So for those that got the T6 defiant it would be interesting to know what other T6 ships they have (or when the last one they picked up may have been.)

And, just to be clear, that's just out of idle curiosity. Whatever the answer is I can't see it being useful. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • cem3212cem3212 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    mirrorchaos is just being pretentious inserting non-proven conjecture to insinuate the negative to thegrandnagus1.

I don't mind admitting I am bothered by this. I didn't get the Andromeda boon nor this Valiant. I've been a Lifer for a few years now & up till last year bought Zen using $ whenever it was on sale.

I don't think Cryptic/PWE will release whatever metrics/reasoning they used to decide whom got anything previously or currently. They're cowardly like that. Were these "exclusive" giveaways just for players that hadn't played for X number of months similar to the Andromeda tactic? Was this for players that have spent X amount over the year or another amount of time? Maybe it was for players that have never bought anything, or did only players that have never said anything negative about Cryptic/PWE or complained receive the valuable "exclusive" free gifts? & we all know how Cryptic/PWE luvs their RNG so maybe it is that way, but let's admit the truth here if they wanted you to have the free gift they could've offered it.

Yes, they don't have to answer to us & yes there is some marketing value in attempting to entice previous players back. I would think it's smart to not spit in the face of current players as well. Same as back during the Andromeda "exclusive" gifting what harm would it do to gift current/active players as well as those in hopes of enticing back.

That's the difference, during this current event & all other activities in STO we all can participate & are afford the choice to do so or not to do so to acquire STO items. This type of offer is "exclusively" for only certain players, well perhaps non players too, but with no transparency about what criteria was used in the offering.

Cryptic/PWE could be using a legitimate calculation to decide who gets offered what or it could be some sort of discrimination who knows with their cloak & dagger tactics. Just like some others in this thread & other threads have suggested, I might stop playing completely for 3-6 months to earn a free ship too LOL.
    cem3212 wrote: »
    mirrorchaos is just being pretentious inserting non-proven conjecture to insinuate the negative to thegrandnagus1.

As I said in my response to MC, there is no need for ad hominem, and that goes both ways. So, regardless of how we feel about this issue, let's try to avoid personal attacks against each other :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    cem3212 wrote: »

That's the difference, during this current event & all other activities in STO we all can participate & are afford the choice to do so or not to do so to acquire STO items.

That's actually why I'm not bothered by these kinds of free giveaways. It's pretty much impossible to predict what items will be given away when and to who (even if we know why previous "winners" were chosen). So holding out, on the off chance that a given ship will become free for you later, isn't something that people generally need to consider (because there's just no viable strategy to it.)

If you happen to be in a target pool, great. But it's just a free sample, not something that really changes how the c-store marketplace works.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    Only a temporary solution to a more permanent problem, IMO.

It's a good marketing/PR tactic, and costs them little to nothing (except maybe "projected" profits for sales) to give away in-game items, after all. Much cheaper than paying an active forum moderator, or in-game support people, for example.

Keep tossing a bone out there... woof, woof.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    @duncanidaho11
    On a related note, it would be interesting to know if said recipients were primarily tac flyers. Especially in light of the fairly Sci heavy rewards and event ships we've seen released lately.
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Well, I'm glad I read this post. The email I have for my account is my junk email and I barely read it. Nice surprise to find my Defiant code waiting for me.

With that said. I've been "inactive" for about 3 months but extremely active 2 years prior and have been very active again in the last 2 weeks (non LTS user). My character is L60 and basically maxed. I have 2 other characters I started years ago and just neglected so their levels are low.

What is interesting is the last time they handed out a free ship (the Ent-D i believe it was) I was basically in the same position. Inactive for about a month or so but I didn't receive the gift. No cares, like the OP I have the ships I want.

But yeah, the criteria seems uneven.
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    rekurzion wrote: »
    Well, I'm glad I read this post. The email I have for my account is my junk email and I barely read it. Nice surprise to find my Defiant code waiting for me.

With that said. I've been "inactive" for about 3 months but extremely active 2 years prior and have been very active again in the last 2 weeks (non LTS user). My character is L60 and basically maxed. I have 2 other characters I started years ago and just neglected so their levels are low.

What is interesting is the last time they handed out a free ship (the Ent-D i believe it was) I was basically in the same position. Inactive for about a month or so but I didn't receive the gift. No cares, like the OP I have the ships I want.

As a curiosity, toward a little idea I've got, did you happen to miss out on the Breen winter ship? I can't resist a good mystery, though I couldn't care less if they sent me the email or not. I have gotten so much free stuff from STO that I have absolutely no right to complain. I'm wondering if they sent those as a bone to players who, while active, managed to miss the Winter event.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Hmmm....I was active but no so much available to do the winter event. So no Breen ship for me if that helps your theory
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User

As a curiosity, toward a little idea I've got, did you happen to miss out on the Breen winter ship? I can't resist a good mystery, though I couldn't care less if they sent me the email or not. I have gotten so much free stuff from STO that I have absolutely no right to complain. I'm wondering if they sent those as a bone to players who, while active, managed to miss the Winter event.

i don't participate in many of the events. i play ALOT but its not consistent so to speak. so events are tough with my schedule trying to spend a certain amount of hours each day to get all I need. so i just skip 'em.
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User

i don't participate in many of the events. i play ALOT but its not consistent so to speak. so events are tough with my schedule trying to spend a certain amount of hours each day to get all I need. so i just skip 'em.

Well that makes a tiny sample size, but so far 2 for 2. Two active players who didn't pick up the Winter event ship, but got the T6 Defiant email. I think that's nice of Cryptic to throw you guys a bone like that. Congrats!
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    The only emails I ever get from PWE/Cryptic, are the ones saying thank you for buying Zen.
    :p
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    See... they do like you... :p
    edited February 2016

EDIT... Apparently the forum decided that I needed to post this twice to reinforce my statement.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    tousseau wrote: »

EDIT... Apparently the forum decided that I needed to post this twice to reinforce my statement.

Reminds me of an "old prostitute" joke... >:)

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    I was gone a year, and did not receive any such offer for free T6 ship. I am a lifetime though, but after 3 months of not logging in, the 500 zen you get each month stops coming. so yeah, the bonuses of lifetime should not affect the part.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I know of players that are inactive that got it

and....
    semalda226 wrote: »
    I'm not inactive and I got it

Apparently those who aren't inactive got it.

Only theory I have is 'give out x amount of codes'. Obviously the primary focus is getting them out to the inactive accounts(non-lifetime members maybe?)then whatever codes are left over, get sent randomly to active accounts.

That's all I got for a theory. It seems more or less random though.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.