test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulans a synthetic faction

fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
We all know that Romulans are not a faction, because, well, we can only have two factions, FED and KDF, so everything else have to be liaisonned into it, meaning, at some point the player has to choose a side. As a matter of fact I have no real problem with this system, but I wonder is it possible to have this sub-faction working as a synthetic faction. Let me explain what I mean with a synthetic faction. A synthetic faction is a species or a race that belongs to a faction but can be played as it is a faction. The faction exists because the player choose so, they limit themselve as if the species they play is a faction.

Take Gorn. No starting zone for themself or homeworld. Ships, yes, outfit, a little. It can, but it isn't really working. Romulans have a lot more of course. Starting zone, starting missions, homeworld etc. However, when you roll one, you will be split up. The game has Fed romulans and KDF romulans. You cannot team, you cannot form a fleet with your fellow romulans, unless you belong to the same faction.

If players of different factions could team and could form a fleet, Romulans could be played as if they were a faction. A problem may be the fleet and especially the base. How does it look like? It would be great we would have different 'skins' for our fleetbase. Not only FED or KDF, but also Romulan and neutral like an old merchant post, comm base or an asteroid base such as we see in the Neelix mission.

Comments

• Options
    willdojinnwilldojinn Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    So you want to be able to group by Romulan be they klingon or fed aligned? Makes sense given no matter who they're aligned with their first loyalty would be to the Republic.

This ties into a complaint of my own at how there are no 'romulan' ship interiors other than the bridge. Very weird feeling when I go to my ship's conference room and it's very.... federation-y.
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    There are several examples of Romulan starbases/stations/outposts, mostly in the Romulan story arc, itself. They are, together, extensive enough to make an equivalent Romulan starbase skin. Several interior pieces from the Fleet Mine, could be added into it as well, as it is of Reman design.

However, regarding the "synthetic faction" idea, there would have to be a bit more flexibility for it to work. For example, in lore, many Romulans, Remans, and some Vulcans, are citizens of the New Romulan Republic, but Vulcans are an exclusive species of the United Federation of Planets, how would that work? What about the federalized Klingon Empire? Would Gorn & Nausicaans be grouped in a Gorn "synthetic faction" together, and Letheans, Ferasans, Orions, and Klingons have their own? How about Liberated Borg Characters, would a Borg Cooperative "synthetic faction" spring up? These are things to consider.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Fair enough, but the Romulans make the best case for having a 'group by' and skin feature since they have all these things klingon and fed factions have.

On the other hand I kinda more want new romulas expanded so we can putter around in the reman quarter. My chief engineer needs a chance to take her sunglasses off.​​
  • Options
    I agree, a completed city would be a reason to start coming to ch'Mol'Rihan, again.
    R E M A I N

• Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    an orbital shipyard for the romulans has been mentioned a few times in various episodes and im pretty sure a romulan republic academy would have been very much top priority in the new romulas construction process considering the severe lack of fleet they have now. and i REALLY want to see a romulan Dedicated commendation DOFF store instead of being forced to use the klingon or Federation one. as well as a higher Romulan/Reeman BOFF recruitment/asylum DOFF assignment chance and for gods sake our own security officer in the command center at the very least please.
  • Options
    grtiggy wrote: »
    an orbital shipyard for the romulans has been mentioned a few times in various episodes and im pretty sure a romulan republic academy would have been very much top priority in the new romulas construction process considering the severe lack of fleet they have now. and i REALLY want to see a romulan Dedicated commendation DOFF store instead of being forced to use the klingon or Federation one. as well as a higher Romulan/Reeman BOFF recruitment/asylum DOFF assignment chance and for gods sake our own security officer in the command center at the very least please.

This; also Romulan and Reman colonist DOffs.
    R E M A I N

• Options
    skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    bltrrn wrote: »
    grtiggy wrote: »

This; also Romulan and Reman colonist DOffs.

We will probably never get the security officer, at least a faction specific one. They don't want us to be able to double down on it. I think having a fed/fdf representative on New Romulus should be doable though, and see no reason why we can't get that. Everything else we really do need.
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • Options
    theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    They could tie in the story with an additional story arc (that older chars could complete if they want to cut ties to Fed/KDF) where you choose to instead of joining the Federation or KDF, you simply stay Romulan Rep... or maybe even add a spin to it that if you do some kind of secondary quest/choose in convos, you get to be Tal Shiar agent posing as RR, both would basically be the same as end game concerns, but for example the one sided with TS would have some different accolades, titles and maybe even outfit(s) and different choices in future missions maybe (sorta like engineering-only choices in current missions).

5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • Options
    All Playable Romulan's are Republic Romulan's, you aren't leaving the RR to be a Starfleet Officer, or a member of the Klingon Defense Force. I think of it more as this, the RR has 2 major allies who for the most part have been at war with each other for the last several years, you pick the side you want to help when they need a favor from the RR.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited January 2016
    All Playable Romulan's are Republic Romulan's, you aren't leaving the RR to be a Starfleet Officer, or a member of the Klingon Defense Force. I think of it more as this, the RR has 2 major allies who for the most part have been at war with each other for the last several years, you pick the side you want to help when they need a favor from the RR.
    have you played as a romulan? Once you ally up, game dialogue refers to you as a klingon or fedrat... your BOFF start qa'pla-ping all over the place and drinking blood wine... you beam into federation/kdf interiors.... its really one huge, obnoxious, cop-out :P

@spielman1
    Id love to be a full independent third faction as much as everyone... but it will never happen... they went out of their way to preserve the dead red vs blue TRIBBLE for teaming and they aren't going to go back into it at this point and do such a massive overhaul to the core came code itself to actually allow a full third(or fourth or fifth) faction. Try aiming for more likely things... like getting our own security officers, academy, maybe even expanding New Romulus Command into an actual city social zone like Fed/KDF get
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    spielman1 wrote: »
    If enough players demand it and then support the idea unlike you and your constant bulling then they may make the changes needed.
    I don't think you get it... this isn't a week of work tweaking this and that... this is a MASSIVE overhaul of the game's engine you are talking about. They specifically chose to NOT do that... and the RR has (according to them) the fewest players of the existing playerbase... They have already made the decision to NOT devote the time, effort and cash into upgrading the game's core to handle multiple real factions. Further they went out of their way several times since LoR to remove faction uniqueness, even to the point of publicly stating they stopped the Fed/Klink war so they didn't have to bother with making content for two factions. They want to do less work, more cash grab. Its not about what's best for the game, or what players want... its about the dollar bills.
  • Options
    theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    this is a MASSIVE overhaul of the game's engine you are talking about.
    Err no, 95% of the suggestions on these forums (third faction included) would require no rewriting of the game's engine code to fit it in game.
    They want to do less work, more cash grab. Its not about what's best for the game, or what players want... its about the dollar bills.
    I (sadly) agree with this part.

5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • Options
    this is a MASSIVE overhaul of the game's engine you are talking about.
    Err no, 95% of the suggestions on these forums (third faction included) would require no rewriting of the game's engine code to fit it in game.
    It was designed to be Red v Blue and initially the Red team was level gated no less.... it was never designed to handle RvBvG or more. To make it accept that would require a TRIBBLE load of back end reworking.

They could do a better job of faking it with a much more modest amount of work... but even then they chose to cop out.. we have a console for DOFF, no academy, no security officers, no fleet base visual project. Hell we dont even get an orbiting shipyard doodad to look at and park our ships near(in/under) for screenies.

• Options
    have you played as a romulan? Once you ally up, game dialogue refers to you as a klingon or fedrat... your BOFF start qa'pla-ping all over the place and drinking blood wine... you beam into federation/kdf interiors.... its really one huge, obnoxious, cop-out :P

@spielman1
    Id love to be a full independent third faction as much as everyone... but it will never happen... they went out of their way to preserve the dead red vs blue TRIBBLE for teaming and they aren't going to go back into it at this point and do such a massive overhaul to the core came code itself to actually allow a full third(or fourth or fifth) faction. Try aiming for more likely things... like getting our own security officers, academy, maybe even expanding New Romulus Command into an actual city social zone like Fed/KDF get

That is because the developers are lazy and don't want to make things different for the Romulans, just look at content from the last 2 years, it's basically just all faction neutral except for a few words here of there to make it kind of Klingon or kind of Fed. I would much prefer the Romulans be an actual full faction, would be grand, I would love to see the missions have a flavor that goes with being a Romulan. I would also like an end game science vessel, wouldn't mid if they had something in the early levels that was a science vessel either. Do I expect to ever get these things? I do not. (I will continue to ask for them though.)
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    spielman1 wrote: »
    If enough players demand it and then support the idea unlike you and your constant bulling then they may make the changes needed.
    I don't think you get it... this isn't a week of work tweaking this and that... this is a MASSIVE overhaul of the game's engine you are talking about. They specifically chose to NOT do that... and the RR has (according to them) the fewest players of the existing playerbase... They have already made the decision to NOT devote the time, effort and cash into upgrading the game's core to handle multiple real factions. Further they went out of their way several times since LoR to remove faction uniqueness, even to the point of publicly stating they stopped the Fed/Klink war so they didn't have to bother with making content for two factions. They want to do less work, more cash grab. Its not about what's best for the game, or what players want... its about the dollar bills.

Where do you get "overhaul of game engine"?

Oh, yeah. PvP. The part of the game that still "exists" to be a problem, but otherwise... <sees tumbleweed>

Otherwise, everything else that is spoken of:
    DOff rosters
    Fleet Base
    Expanded Command Center
    Separate Academy (which would be a great thing to turn the Flotilla into, I mean, 2x "main bases" within a sector block?)
    "Fleshed out" shiplist with all three classes represented top-to-bottom
    Etc. etc.

Is "in game assets" that the designers need to... design. And build.

And since "building" a few hundred (Thousand?) DOffs, 5 tiers of fleet base, the "New, Improved Command Center", a Flotilla-Academy, 10+ low-tier ships, etc. etc. is "such a large amount of work for negligible financial gain"...

Welcome to what we've all been calling the "Fraction System"...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    you are VASTLY underestimating what is required but whatever
  • Options
    If RR players want more content, we should play our RR charcaters more (and create more of them), purchase RR ships, join RR themed fleets, participate in RR themed RP, PvP, etc., run more plasma weapon builds, be more present in Romulan territories between queues, purchase more things from the RR reputation...you see where I'm going with this? >:)
    R E M A I N

• Options
    If RR players want more content, we should play our RR charcaters more (and create more of them), purchase RR ships, join RR themed fleets, participate in RR themed RP, PvP, etc., run more plasma weapon builds, be more present in Romulan territories between queues, purchase more things from the RR reputation...you see where I'm going with this? >:)

Done, done, done, and done. Except for the PvP part, I don't PvP.
  • Options

Done, done, done, and done. Except for the PvP part, I don't PvP.

PvP is still a Red v. Blue thing, so it is well to stay away from it. However, greater presence in the game, is still needed, to show just how profitable we can be. Recruiting demoralized Imperialists to the Republic, is also a good idea, as we are stronger united, than we are divided.
    R E M A I N

• Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User

Here here! I'm hoping they put out another Anniversary stats image this year. I can only imagine that the Republic numbers are crawling upwards. I've seen a lot more interest in the Republic over the last year, including more and more players who are familiarizing themselves with some of the extended lore.

I mean seriously, if you're going to shake my hand, at least buy me dinner first :wink:

All joking aside, having Republic groupings is a solid idea. The more Republic content is cosumed, the more interested Cryptic will be in producing it. And what better way to enjoy Republic content than to group with other Republic players?

A great case in point that it's slowly working was the release of the Mirror uniforms. I don't think we've seen Mirror Republic in the game yet, but surprisingly there's now a Mirror Republic uniform option that came alongside the inevitable Federation release. That was awesome!
  • Options
    Sure the Mirror uniforms are just the standard uniforms sleeveless but Eh, it's better than nothing and as you said, there hasn't been a mirror republic on screen yet so the fact we have the outfits but haven't seen any NPCs wear them is interesting, and hopefully telling.​​
  • Options
    The mirror uniforms SUCK but yes it was nice they were released at all... I was planning to open my wallet and get the KDF/RR ones but then they decided to drop them for lobi... which I dont have TRIBBLE of and don't feel any need or desire to open a bazillion TRIBBLE boxes to get
  • Options
    The mirror uniforms SUCK but yes it was nice they were released at all... I was planning to open my wallet and get the KDF/RR ones but then they decided to drop them for lobi... which I dont have TRIBBLE of and don't feel any need or desire to open a bazillion TRIBBLE boxes to get

Grab it off the Exchange instead - let someone else play the lockbox game, and make the EC as a result.

Every hour or two, a couple show up on the list. Over the next days I'm sure that'll get more frequent.
  • Options
    chipg7 wrote: »

Grab it off the Exchange instead - let someone else play the lockbox game, and make the EC as a result.

Every hour or two, a couple show up on the list. Over the next days I'm sure that'll get more frequent.

I intend to... once they drop below the absolutely absurd prices they post at now. 20mil for a costume unlock for a single char? nope
  • Options
    michael#8928 michael Member Posts: 26 Arc User

Speaking of RR themed fleets... are there many out there? I love my Romulan toons would appreciate a more Romulan centric fleet.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Speaking of RR themed fleets... are there many out there? I love my Romulan toons would appreciate a more Romulan centric fleet.

Yeah, yeah there definitely are. Check the New Romulus sub-subforum for fleet recruiting in there.

If you're into RP as a Romulan, both of the fleets in my signature have Romulan groups in them. In the 5th's case in particular, we have the "9th Republic Talons" that plays out as a joint-venture between a Starfleet division and a Republic warbird group.