test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, what do you think about the Admiralty system?

Comments

• spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Bad
    It rewards well, but I find it very, very tedious.
  • ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    Good
    I don't really understand the point of the admiralty system. Is it to reward players with lots of ships? All the pre T5-U ships have useless stats and are basically useful to take a small chance on a mission one might otherwise use a pass token on.
  • calintane753calintane753 Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Good
    Good but...
    1. Too many Science Ships needed: not good for romulans and klingons;
    2. It would be nice to put very long missions, i.e. from 1 to 4 days.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Meh
    I noticed even the people praising the admiralty system don't mention it as fun, but just talk about how great the rewards are.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    Meh
    Stopped doing it weeks ago. The repetition just bored me.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    Meh
    1) What do you *like* about the Admiralty system?

Same as everyone else. Nothing to like except the rewards. It really adds nothing to the game but a time sink.

2) What do you *not* like about the Admiralty system?

It's tedious. It's a Facebook grind. It's not actually playing the game- it feels almost like it's supposed to distract you from noticing that...there aren't more new things to do.

3) What would you like to see changed or added to the Admiralty system?

Integrate it into the doffing tab, or have it behave the same way when things are finished. As is, if I have finished Admiralty missions, it makes it wonky to claim rewards for doff ones. Either way, I disregard it a large amount of time, because it's just boring- rewards or not.
  • ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    Good
    nikephorus wrote: »
    I noticed even the people praising the admiralty system don't mention it as fun, but just talk about how great the rewards are.

It does actually seem more like a chore than anything. I do it only because I feel I'm missing out on resources if I don't.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Meh
    I don't do it all the time on my mains. Just when I get around to it. As its Doffing and I don't like it well. So its not my primary focus. And I will tell why.

Good:
    Rewards - Crafting stuff, Dil, EC, and Exp. All of this does help out some for the higher levels. Better than the Doff with crew.
    Easy to do - just click and wait the next day to collect and do it again. Easier to do than the Doff with crew.

Bad:
    Ships - They are not good for the missions. I guess its for only players with all "Special" ships. As most of mine are white, even some of the older Good ships. Thus making it harder to get good % on each mission. The specs on the ships needs reworked.

Not good for KDF or Romulan - Too Sci heavy so its really hard to pull off on these factions. Where they are more driven to Eng and Tac. This is also due to lack of Sci ships for the KDF and Romulan, so it already puts them at a disadvantage.

Not good for Captain Specs - Leveling up, you mainly focus on a certain type of ships. So your already having issues trying to get each mission done. To many we don't have the Dil to go back and get ships that give crappy specs. So why bother on the lower level stuff. So it almost "force" you to buy only Zen store stuff or lobi ships. I sure won't waste my time and Dil going back after the lower junk just for Doffing.

To me it needs an overhaul on the whole system.

Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    Terrible
    I hate it.

It's not a problem with the admiralty itself, but it's just another clicky task in the game. Doffing is bad enough, admiralty is worse, because it takes a lot more time (the ships are not automatically filled in, so more clicking is added).

If I wanted a clicky game, I'd play Facebook games.

I do Adm only if I'm waiting for an STF to pop up, or on my way to a distant part of space, and have nothing better to do than stare at the screen waiting. I may as well kill the time clicking.​​
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Good
    I rated it 'good' rather than 'excellent' because I agree that the KDF balance is a little off. Beyond that, though--anything that keeps me from having to deal with Devidians, "Coliseum," or go clanking about on the outside of DS9 is just fine with me.
    boldly-watched.png
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Meh
    I see it as a way to get from level 52 to 60 the way the Doff system helped level between 11 and 40. So it speeds things up a bit. But it is not the admiral system I had hoped for. I can have a huge roster of bridge officers. Why not make it so I can assign some of them to fly a ship in a squadron with me? Then you are preparing for more than one ship on 1+X hostiles. Wrecked ships if you don't support them get repair cool down times like the Admiralty doff system. It would make missions more immersive to be an admiral and commanding more than one ship in an engagement. All this is, is the paper work a captain/admiral would be filling out as part of his job. so Eh.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    Meh
    Meh, gives good dil rewards and was fun at the start, but now it's just repetitive.
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    Meh
    You get stuff which is nice.

It's just more buttons to press that chews up time. Nowt really interesting happening.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Excellent
    I like it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Good
    I think that the rewards might be a bit too high, in terms of ec and dilithium.

I have an OK number of science ships for my Rommies and Klinks (Fed side, I have the Vista 3 pack, a Nebula from a giveaway, and a fleet Nedula, so I'm doing fine.) The problem is that there are no science single use cards for Rom/KDf at all, except maybe the Saar Thien.
    I tend to use my low level ships a fair amount. They often have decent bonuses, and often do the trick when I almost have the stats for a mission. (Also, the ec shuttles are really useful.)

I'm not sure that I'd characterize it as fun, but it's interesting, which is the next best thing.
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    Good
    It's basically Doffing, and together with Admiralty it's most of what I do in this game now, and that only to feed the Starbase.

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Meh
    i honestly don't care about the admiralty system. it's just an extended doff for ships. not really into that crud.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Good
    I was not excited by this new system, but finally I like it; however more campaigns and more rewards (something different) would be very interesting
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Meh
    Don't love it, don't hate it, happy to ignore it. This game becomes WAY too much of a Farmville click-fest, if you let it.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Good
    The only thing I don't like about Doffing v.2 is that what they tell you are the mission requirements are NOT the mission requirements when you click on it to slot your ships.

That it's designed for store bought ships is a bit of a scam but it's not a deal breaker.

Over all: It's just a side thing to get a minor amount of goodies. Of all of the pointless reasons players here rage, this is the most pointless to rage over.
    <3
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Good
    The AS is the best thing to happen to the Specialization system; it's now possible to achieve a spec point every few days even as a casual player.

I'm not thrilled with the number & size of the "anomaly" point increases in missions, however. I have seen single-category point requirements as high as 200, which is barely attainable with my best ships, and even then, the other categories will go unfilled trying to fill the one. I hope this does not continue to spiral upward, or we may be facing a pay-to-win scenario in AS as well.

The AS also saves Mirror Universe ships from complete uselessness (and even these are only found in lock boxes). I'm happy that we have pass tokens to use, but not so thrilled that there is a 50-pass cap on stored passes. Still, the AS has proven to be a valuable addition to STO! :)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Bad
    It's an easy to learn, easy to master sub-game that features excellent rewards for the time and effort spent, which are the pros.

Ironically, these are also the biggest cons - why do I need such a time-gated gameplay substitute to "ease XP grind" and earn dilithium and EC? Why can't I achieve this while actually playing the game?

The Admirality system can be best described by the little review of Star Trek: Timelines I gave in another tooic, as the two are basically carbon copies of each other. It's a time-gated mobile game resembling trading card grinder of the most boring and tedious kind, only that this one benefits your gameplay in STO at some point while Timelines is just that. Click, click, wait. I would prefer to do all those missions myself in a set of randomized open-ended gameplay. "That's not what a admiral does!" - I don't care. I'm a captain in-game, I don't care about admirals, I want to do stuff myself not click and wait for status reports - which further have no bearing on the actual game.

If we had a kind of strategy game here, like another poster mentioned, with ships going somewhere, reinforcing, scouting, building outposts - a 4X kind of "Masters of Orion" within STO - that would be fun at least.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Bad

Indeed. It seems like they're all so acustomed to run after their daily rewards there's not much horizon to expand. Something is "excellent" if it gives rewards to grind and doesn't require much effort to do - many people do not expect more from their game at this point.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Meh
    angrytarg wrote: »

Indeed. It seems like they're all so acustomed to run after their daily rewards there's not much horizon to expand. Something is "excellent" if it gives rewards to grind and doesn't require much effort to do - many people do not expect more from their game at this point.​​

Your right on this. I rather go out and do stuff with my ship and crew. Not just click, log off, get on later to collect my reward.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Meh
    To me its like a variation of the doff system. While the doff system at least adds to the one ship, one captain illusion the nature of the admiralty system throws that overboard. I don't care for it, like most recent additions, be it in the store or free, it adds nothing for my play-style even less lures me to log into the game. Encountering Borgs on their quest to their fifth dynasty at least made me grin and shake my head.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Excellent
    1. Excellent source of Spec Points, Dilithium, etc.

2. Missions may be a 'bit' short in a number of instances. On a good weekend playing day I have ended up with 57 ships in Maintenance at once. But for me with a lot of ships it is doable. Sometimes you cycle through numbers of these Missions before a Doff Mission finishes.

3. New Campaigns added.

Conversion of the Campaign XP to Skill or some other type of XP after you are through a Campaign completely the first time.

Campaign Missions after the first time through should also provide EC or some other Reward to substitute for the Rewards not given per Level.

Auto including ships unlocked in the C-Store or Event Store applicable to your Faction into your Roster.

Outside chance of Auto-fill for a Mission to provide a base assignment as they do with Doff Missions.

By the way my first character completely filled out all Spec Trees last Tuesday. By last night I already had 8 Points banked. That does not include the two giveaway Points from last week, but does include one to two from those Lockbox Mirror Intelligence Report Missions.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Good
    Its good, but I wish there was an auto fill option. it's kind of tedious to do on 5 toons. And I only bother with it once a day.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Excellent
    farmallm wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »

Your right on this. I rather go out and do stuff with my ship and crew. Not just click, log off, get on later to collect my reward.

To you and angrytarg: While you see this as a shortcoming of the system. I see it as its biggest success. It doesn't take a lot of time, and it supplements rewards from other places. I wouldn't want a new system that eats up a bunch of time that I could better use playing the already pretty fun game that we have. This system functions perfectly as just that, a method to get some decent rewards for a quick investment of time, so that I can spend the rest of my playing time doing something else, rather than chasing those rewards. This might be because I decided early on to do Admiralty once per day per character, set it and forget it. You have to think about how you're going to use your ships, and think a little bit strategically about the rest of your assignments coming up when you assign each ship, even if you're only doing 8 assignments per day. Now I can decide that one of my characters will just spend a few hours laying about in a lounge chair on the beaches of Risa while chatting with friends, rather than worry about how far I need to go to get that next spec point. Doing it this way still gives me a spec point every 4 or 5 days on each character, not counting the ones from finishing a cycle on the Federation Tour, and has freed me up to do things like come up with a decent setup for every character for Tour the Universe, or spend time managing my bank slots, which were all getting out of hand, so it's a win for me.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    Bad
    anodynes wrote: »
    To you and angrytarg: While you see this as a shortcoming of the system. I see it as its biggest success. It doesn't take a lot of time, and it supplements rewards from other places. I wouldn't want a new system that eats up a bunch of time that I could better use playing the already pretty fun game that we have. This system functions perfectly as just that, a method to get some decent rewards for a quick investment of time, so that I can spend the rest of my playing time doing something else, rather than chasing those rewards. This might be because I decided early on to do Admiralty once per day per character, set it and forget it. You have to think about how you're going to use your ships, and think a little bit strategically about the rest of your assignments coming up when you assign each ship, even if you're only doing 8 assignments per day. Now I can decide that one of my characters will just spend a few hours laying about in a lounge chair on the beaches of Risa while chatting with friends, rather than worry about how far I need to go to get that next spec point. Doing it this way still gives me a spec point every 4 or 5 days on each character, not counting the ones from finishing a cycle on the Federation Tour, and has freed me up to do things like come up with a decent setup for every character for Tour the Universe, or spend time managing my bank slots, which were all getting out of hand, so it's a win for me.

You are just repeating what we said, though. Essentially you say Admirality is good because you don't have to actually play the game and can chat while you wait for the timers to finish. I cannot comprehend why I should play the game at all at this point when everything I actually expect from STO is to be a paper doll, instant messenger and screen saver.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif