test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We have a winner! Introducing "Starbase Magellan"

drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
Taking the cake with seven votes was Starbase Magellan. I'm sure we shall all do our utmost to continue in the fine tradition of such explorers as Ferdinand Magellan who, for those who don't know, was the first to circumnavigate the Earth.

Thank you all for your nominations and votes.

On to the next step.
The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Post edited by drogyn1701 on

Comments

• captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    When does the voting officially end?
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    Soon. I thought I might do an elimination round though. Take the top 4 (those with more than two votes) and have people vote for those, kind of like the official carrier elimination contest.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited January 2016
    I have closed voting on the original poll. With no clear winner, I decided to make that the first elimination round. Five choices remain, so go ahead and cast your vote!

I have updated the OP, and here is the new link as well.

http://strawpoll.me/6637153
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Discover or Discovery?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited January 2016
    Oops, yeah that should be "Discovery"

Can't edit it though and since people have already voted I think I'll leave it for the time being.
  • realmalizerealmalize Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    Magellen would be interesting, like you could set it as a new outpost to explore the Magellenic Cloud
    foundry_banner1.png
    edited January 2016
    realmalize wrote: »
    Magellen would be interesting, like you could set it as a new outpost to explore the Magellenic Cloud

You could setup a mission with a transwarp experiment that leads into a Magellenic expedition. I may have even been toying around with that very idea before settling on my current exploration mission plot. But the Starbase does need to be situated somewhere on the sector map. That (for the foreseeable future) excludes things outside the galaxy. :)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Bah.. if we're going outside the Milky Way we should start with the Dwarf Galaxies that are closer to us. Maybe Canis Major? It's only 28k Ly.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

You could setup a mission with a transwarp experiment that leads into a Magellenic expedition. I may have even been toying around with that very idea before settling on my current exploration mission plot. But the Starbase does need to be situated somewhere on the sector map. That (for the foreseeable future) excludes things outside the galaxy. :)

Could always play the DS9 card and say the outpost was setup near a wormhole to the cloud...would give a "fresh" exploration angle while keeping one end of the stories grounded in the proper area.
    foundry_banner1.png
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    Bah.. if we're going outside the Milky Way we should start with the Dwarf Galaxies that are closer to us. Maybe Canis Major? It's only 28k Ly.

LOL...I've been flailing around trying to work on a new story, and, at one point, almost had the aliens come from Canes Venatici, based off a track from the Hawkwind Friends and Relations series of albums:
    https://youtu.be/k_X-XpzyL24

Hmm...still haven't totally ruled it out.
    Looks like we have a winner! Updated the OP.
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    but,but,but B.o.B says the Earth is flat........
    How close is the interior to being finished? Next show?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Maybe.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Just about finished. Dragoon had a few more little tweaks he wanted to make. We'll take one more tour next show and then he gets the fun task of transcribing all of it to a spreadsheet.

In a few minutes I'll be posting the poll for the mission tag.
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Should we have a name for the area of space we'll be exploring similar to the Typhon Expanse from TNG?
    technically, ol' Ferdinand himself didn't make it past Cebu...but they give him credit for the whole trip since his crews finished it :)
    foundry_banner1.png
    My initial idea is simply that this starbase is a jumping off point for a previously unexplored region beyond the current STO borders, but if you guys want to use it as a stepping stone to go extra-galactic in your missions, go for it. The sky is the limit.
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    technically, ol' Ferdinand himself didn't make it past Cebu...but they give him credit for the whole trip since his crews finished it :)

His personal slave was the first to circumnavigate technically. He was from the Philippines originally so when the ship made it there he had already circled the earth before any of the rest of the crew.

odyssey47 wrote: »

His personal slave was the first to circumnavigate technically. He was from the Philippines originally so when the ship made it there he had already circled the earth before any of the rest of the crew.

maybe we should be celebrating that guy's name instead :)
    foundry_banner1.png
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Should we have a name for the area of space we'll be exploring similar to the Typhon Expanse from TNG?

Well, that's the beauty of this project, it isn't limited to just one area. The entire Milky Way and beyond (I'm looking at you Andromeda) is open. The only requirement to fit in is that the missions are based on exploration.

It should be pointed out that there is an implied restriction - that the missions must occur AFTER the Iconian War is over. Otherwise there would be no Initiative (or base) in place for exploration. ;)