test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Game Archaeologist: Perpetual's STO

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
http://massivelyop.com/2016/01/30/the-game-archaeologist-perpetuals-star-trek-online/

It's a somewhat interesting read, but honestly, I'm happy with the game we have today. Discussing a hypothetical game made by a different company is *almost* pointless, with one exception: what ideas from Perpetual's "vision" would you like to see added to our STO at some point?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Umm.... I liked their idea of adding a rollbar connecting the nacelles of ships like the Excelsior.

Some of their concept art was cool, but some of it was different versions of what we have already. So it'd be pretty much just the alien places.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Umm...pretty much nothing from Perpetually-in-Development. Everything they put out was nothing but smoke and mirrors so they could drag out their 'party time' with investors money as long as possible. It only ended up delaying STO getting to market by 3 years...and hamstringing poor Cryptic into trying to come up with a AAA game in under two years.

Bitter much? Yeah, just a little.

(But I am actually happy that Cryptic finally got it. I love the state the game is in today :))
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    well, I personally prefer the Perpetual's designs; they were more futuristic. Some cryptic's designs are very good, but there are also a lot of average designs. + most of these designs are dull.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    well, I personally prefer the Perpetual's designs; they were more futuristic. Some cryptic's designs are very good, but there are also a lot of average designs. + most of these designs are dull.

I dunno.... I really like the current state of the game. I love Star Trek and it seems Cryptic will survive the new TV series launch eg they can keep the license. I couldn't be happier.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    bernatk wrote: »
    I dunno.... I really like the current state of the game. I love Star Trek and it seems Cryptic will survive the new TV series launch eg they can keep the license. I couldn't be happier.

I think you two are talking about completely different things. I get the sense he is talking about ship designs, while you are talking about the "state of the game".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Well, my opinion is all inclusive. State of the game means ship designs too for me at least lol...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Umm...pretty much nothing from Perpetually-in-Development. Everything they put out was nothing but smoke and mirrors so they could drag out their 'party time' with investors money as long as possible. It only ended up delaying STO getting to market by 3 years...and hamstringing poor Cryptic into trying to come up with a AAA game in under two years.

(But I am actually happy that Cryptic finally got it. I love the state the game is in today :))

The condition of STO at launch in early 2010 was terrible. The game was overall so bad that I thought it had a real chance of dying in its 1st year. It took Cryptic years to get this thing on an even, still somewhat shaky ground as an MMO yet their development had been very uneven: Federation at the cost of everything else.

Edit: To remain on point with the OP, every now and then, especially in prior years of STO, there had been the threads where people wanted multiplayer ships. Where friends, fleetmates can crew up a ship and its different functions with fully functioning interiors of the ship having a purpose. Lofty ideas especially considering this engine, but again, it's been a recurring wish for some out there. The idea *IS* in line with how Star Trek has been shown but I'd imagine it would have been a nightmare to implement in a game.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Where friends, fleetmates can crew up a ship and its different functions with fully functioning interiors of the ship having a purpose. Lofty ideas especially considering this engine, but again, it's been a recurring wish for some out there. The idea *IS* in line with how Star Trek has been shown but I'd imagine it would have been a nightmare to implement in a game.

See that sounds all well and good at first but then you realise that everyone would want to be the guy that fires the phasers and nobody is going to want to go play nurse down in the sickbay. There's going to be some really dull jobs involved with running a ship on a mission and that would just be a nightmare to make attractive to all the players, never mind the actual game engine limitations.
    I mean even in a basic FPS game if you have a multiplayer vehicle (e.g. vehicles in Planetside) there's always the "crappy" seats that shoot the wrong way from where the action is or don't have a gun. That problem would be 10x worse on a starship!
    Imagine being the poor guy stuck on sanitation duty (geeky Force Awakens reference).
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Edit: To remain on point with the OP, every now and then, especially in prior years of STO, there had been the threads where people wanted multiplayer ships. Where friends, fleetmates can crew up a ship and its different functions with fully functioning interiors of the ship having a purpose. Lofty ideas especially considering this engine, but again, it's been a recurring wish for some out there. The idea *IS* in line with how Star Trek has been shown but I'd imagine it would have been a nightmare to implement in a game.
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    See that sounds all well and good at first but then you realise that everyone would want to be the guy that fires the phasers and nobody is going to want to go play nurse down in the sickbay. There's going to be some really dull jobs involved with running a ship on a mission and that would just be a nightmare to make attractive to all the players, never mind the actual game engine limitations.
    I mean even in a basic FPS game if you have a multiplayer vehicle (e.g. vehicles in Planetside) there's always the "crappy" seats that shoot the wrong way from where the action is or don't have a gun. That problem would be 10x worse on a starship!
    Imagine being the poor guy stuck on sanitation duty (geeky Force Awakens reference).

Yeah, so about the player crews. I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of people want their own ship. So while some people may certainly be happy to play as a crew member on someone else's ship, the devs can really only develop one type of main gameplay, and they wisely choose the type that the majority prefer.

That said, I think a system like this could give people a feeling of teamwork and being part of a crew:

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1211074/crazy-fun-idea-temporary-player-crew-new-type-of-group

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Where friends, fleetmates can crew up a ship and its different functions with fully functioning interiors of the ship having a purpose. Lofty ideas especially considering this engine, but again, it's been a recurring wish for some out there. The idea *IS* in line with how Star Trek has been shown but I'd imagine it would have been a nightmare to implement in a game.

I am sure you can find players that would enjoy even playing a Nurse on a huge starship...

But it might not end up to be the kind of game I enjoy. I want to be in charge of the ship, and I don't want to herd cats doing it. And I also like to play through scripted story missions, and I am afraid there is no way a game could provide missions/quests/stories that would cover both that hypothetical Nurse, a Navigator, a Botanist and a Starship Captain. It's already difficult enough for Cryptic to adapt a story to cover 3 factions.

Such a game would probably be more like EVE. The "story" is emergent in gameplay, result of the decisions of players, not that of a dedicated writing team. That's certainly fun for some, but I think it wouldn't yield the type of stories we expect from Star Trek.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

I am sure you can find players that would enjoy even playing a Nurse on a huge starship...

But it might not end up to be the kind of game I enjoy. I want to be in charge of the ship, and I don't want to herd cats doing it. And I also like to play through scripted story missions, and I am afraid there is no way a game could provide missions/quests/stories that would cover both that hypothetical Nurse, a Navigator, a Botanist and a Starship Captain. It's already difficult enough for Cryptic to adapt a story to cover 3 factions.

Such a game would probably be more like EVE. The "story" is emergent in gameplay, result of the decisions of players, not that of a dedicated writing team. That's certainly fun for some, but I think it wouldn't yield the type of stories we expect from Star Trek.
    Yeah EVE's most interesting stories are the sort of things the villains in Star Trek do and not the heroes.

"Emergent gameplay" always seems to end in the same place, you end up with a game where people are horrible to each other. not because all the people who play are horrible, but enough that it defines the metagame.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2016

You may be surprised with what people want to do in an MMO. I know "Blowing TRIBBLE up" is the popular theme. But I have played titles, especially old school MMORPGs, where there were certain professions that had absolutely zero combat involved, yet there were numerous players that logged in every day doing those non-combat aspects of the game and enjoying it.

The point is that the interests out there are more wildly split than you think they are. The real issue is what the game allows you to do.

Edit: Anyways, I will say the idea of multiplayer Starships and playing this game like a crew from the movies and TV shows is impossible in STO.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    Well, STO has players who specialize in crafting and stuff like that. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User

STO isn't a AAA title. Not anymore at least. I think for what it is, and what it does, it's fine and to be honest, probably faired much better than what the other guys could have produced...well as you said, they probably didn't actually do anything anyway.

It's incredible that STO even exists at all.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    zombieman149zombieman149 Member Posts: 29 New User
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > warmaker001b wrote: »
    >
    > Edit: To remain on point with the OP, every now and then, especially in prior years of STO, there had been the threads where people wanted multiplayer ships. Where friends, fleetmates can crew up a ship and its different functions with fully functioning interiors of the ship having a purpose. Lofty ideas especially considering this engine, but again, it's been a recurring wish for some out there. The idea *IS* in line with how Star Trek has been shown but I'd imagine it would have been a nightmare to implement in a game.
    >
    >
    >
    > lordsteve1 wrote: »
    >
    > See that sounds all well and good at first but then you realise that everyone would want to be the guy that fires the phasers and nobody is going to want to go play nurse down in the sickbay. There's going to be some really dull jobs involved with running a ship on a mission and that would just be a nightmare to make attractive to all the players, never mind the actual game engine limitations.
    > I mean even in a basic FPS game if you have a multiplayer vehicle (e.g. vehicles in Planetside) there's always the "crappy" seats that shoot the wrong way from where the action is or don't have a gun. That problem would be 10x worse on a starship!
    > Imagine being the poor guy stuck on sanitation duty (geeky Force Awakens reference).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah, so about the player crews. I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of people want their own ship. So while some people may certainly be happy to play as a crew member on someone else's ship, the devs can really only develop one type of main gameplay, and they wisely choose the type that the majority prefer.
    >
    > That said, I think a system like this could give people a feeling of teamwork and being part of a crew:
    >
    >

I think the devs can do some redesigns to make it work though. This is not a basic FPS imo but I guess may be.