test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fatal Error (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED)

javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
edited December 2015 in Graphical and Sound Issues
STO was working just fine with my machine until just two days ago. Now I can't get past the "New Dawn" spash page when trying to lauch the game.

I have an HP Pavilion Win8 machine upgraded to Win10. Intel Pentiun J2900. This processor has the interrgrated graphics.

here is the error message:
23407307949_cd7b67525d.jpg

The intel driver update utility tells me this:
23749180926_c9db5df845_z.jpg
The custom HP driver is updated. I did it yesterday. It didn't help me. Is the driver provided by HP not comatable with STO? Should I give in to temptation and install the generic Intel HD driver anyway, but, I don't know what that will do. I don't know what options I have, and don't really know what is going on here.
His methods have become unsound.
Post edited by javaman1969 on

Comments

• joeybehr52joeybehr52 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I have tried everything to update and nothing is working. I played sto right before the update to season 11 and after the update is when I received the above message. I do not understand why I was playing the game with the same graphics and after the update I cannot. Can somebody help me?
  • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    What kind of computer are you using? Mine has the Pentium with the built-in intelHD graphics. Support tells me that the chipset does not work well with STO. STO was working fine with my machine until just a few days ago. I don't know the reason for the sudden change. My comuter is really cheap and has no slots for expansion, so getting a real graphics card is out of the question until I get a new computer. In the meantime, STO works well enough in safe mode.
    His methods have become unsound.
  • benoliverwillockbenoliverwillock Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    STO was working just fine with my machine until just two days ago. Now I can't get past the "New Dawn" spash page when trying to lauch the game.

I have an HP Pavilion Win8 machine upgraded to Win10. Intel Pentiun J2900. This processor has the interrgrated graphics.

The custom HP driver is updated. I did it yesterday. It didn't help me. Is the driver provided by HP not comatable with STO? Should I give in to temptation and install the generic Intel HD driver anyway, but, I don't know what that will do. I don't know what options I have, and don't really know what is going on here.

Try a fresh re-install of Windows 10, if you upgraded directly from 8 sometimes Windows does a bad job of getting rid of drivers/programs that don't work properly on the new OS.

If it still happens, run in DX9, dxgi is a DX11 api so the error is likely to do with DX11.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tolodinetolodine Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Sorry. I think I was a little too harsh so I apologize for my frustration. I deleted the stuff in the post.

Anyway. I am getting the same issue here. Trying a few things.
    Post edited by tolodine on
    edited January 2016
    What do ya know. Switching to DirectX9 didn't help so I can't play the game at all without it crashing. I take that back. I can get into the game and play for about 10 minutes before everything locks up and it crashes.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I would say it is the game. I have been having some major issues since a couple of weeks ago and my system only has a R390 8GB in it.
    That is the same card I am using. So far I have tried setting graphic settings lower and tweaking some things in the graphic settings for the card like setting anti-aliasing to multi sample instead of the higher end super sample but it still locks up between 10 to 15 minutes of playing. Nothing seems to change that timeframe.
  • ceandreceandre Member Posts: 1 New User
    My game crashes at the loading screen.. I've played this game before though, granted before Windows 10 on an identical computer. Literally, the only difference is that one is touchscreen an the other isn't. I have an HP 15 Touch
    Although posted over a year ago on the Steam boards and related to Neverwinter. This thread references the issue I am having as well as this issue mentioned in this thread.
    I had the crashing when I first started playing and after researching the web I found an article that suggested turning these 4 options to anything but max or high or on:
    1 - Lighting Quality
    2 - Shadows
    3 - Post Processing
    4 - Screen Space Occlusion
    After changing these 4 settings to a non-high setting or turning off if on, I have not had a single crash since. I have about 110 hours in now since those changes and all is working great. I know, it sucks that those settings can't be turned up but the game still looks pretty good and having that said, when you are in a battle, you don't have time to notice the lack of those settings anyway.

Hope this helps!
    It looks like mine had to do with postprocessing and bloom. I turned both of those off and it seems to be working now. Been playing for about 45 minutes and hasn't locked up.
    edited January 2016
    tolodine wrote: »
    It looks like mine had to do with postprocessing and bloom. I turned both of those off and it seems to be working now. Been playing for about 45 minutes and hasn't locked up.

Good to hear!

Edit: For me, it looks like Bloom being on low without changing anything else solves it. I still have Post Processing off. Hopefully they fix this soon. This isn't the first and probably won't be the last time they have messed up Bloom for AMD hardware.
    Post edited by jcsww on
    edited January 2016
    I played for about an hour and half and then tried to return to the SOL system and everything locked up and crashed again. Looks like that fix was only part of it. I can't play turning all those things down. Everything just gets way to dark. Looks like I am going to have to wait to play this game until they fix it.
    I played for about an hour and half and then tried to return to the SOL system and everything locked up and crashed again. Looks like that fix was only part of it. I can't play turning all those things down. Everything just gets way to dark. Looks like I am going to have to wait to play this game until they fix it.

Social zones are still a game issue. It won't happen every time but just about everyone I know playing gets a social zone crash when they are logged in, just like being kicked from the server at least once as well.
    Gosh, this is an odd bug. I was totally fine yesterday but today, it crashed for no reason again. I have all 4 of the quoted settings lowered now. I will keep it like that for a few days and see if that makes a difference. If not, I will be giving up on the anniversary event and playing until they fix the issue.
  • jonnyomega1jonnyomega1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    same issue with me.
    i7-2600k
    r9 290x
    omega Driver Packaging Version
    15.30.1025-151117a-296575C

tried switching back to dx9 instead of 11 in the game still locks up on loading screens. loking for a solution
  • saphira123456789saphira123456789 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Hmm. I get the same thing (lockup/crash on loading screens and entering social zones.)

Like the OP, I have an AMD Graphics card,

It's custom built for gaming too. And I also have have the latest graphics driver for my card.

Unlike him, my PC isn't a laptop.

In addition, I recently updated to Windows 10 (clean reinstall).

Specifically, I updated from Windows 7.

In fact, here are the exact stats for my computer's graphics card (with non-pertient information deleted):

My specific Graphics Chipset is an AMD Radeon HD 5450, with a Bus Capability of PCI Express 2.0.
    The maximum bus setting is PCI Express 2.0x16.
    The chipset has an onboard BIOS Version of 012.020.000.064 with a date listed as 2013/11/20.
    Memory type is DDR3, and its' size is 1024 MB.
    The core clock is at 650 MHz, with memory clocked in at 450 MHz.
    And the total memory bandwidth in Gigabytes is 7.2 GB/s.

I hope that info helps.

I haven't tried playing it using DX9, though.

So I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just tried using DX9ex.

Using that, I still crashed, but only after approximately 7 minutes of perfectly fine gameplay.

I haven't tried using the DX9 option, so I'll try that one now.

EDIT No. 2: I have tried both the DX9 and DX9ex options, and both gave approximately 7 minutes of gameplay before crashing.

I'll try resetting my graphics card properties to default level, then modifying them so that STO itself is in control of all the graphics settings it can.

Edit No. 3: I've reset the graphics card to factory default settings. Here goes nothing!

Edit No. 4: Apparently, the game wasn't patched all the way. It's now completing that task, extremely slowly, but surely. That, along with the graphics card reset, should do the trick.

Edit No. 5: I seem to get most, if not all. my crashes when going in or out of high-traffic areas, such as social zones and the location of the new Featured Episode. Other than those areas, the game runs fine.

I should be good now. Thanks for all the help, folks!

Edit No. 6: Unfortunately, it crashed yet again, while in the new mission. And it also reset the graphics engine to DX11. I think I'll try the Automatic option.

Maybe that will do the trick.

Edit No. 10: I forgot to mention that all my attempts were done with Fast Launch off as well, because that was another workaround for crashes I experienced in the past.

Edit No. 11: I've reduced everything to minimum, Here goes nothing! (again...)
    Post edited by saphira123456789 on
    With a bug I have noticed today. I am going to guess that all of these issues will go away once the anniversary event is over. My reasoning for that is because they take the easy way out when creating these events by basically pulling the content from a year or two ago and reworking it. By doing so, you create some new bugs but also bring back others that have been fixed. Need a good example? Fed Romulan's being able to claim the Ambassador account wide promo. This was fixed not long after that promo and yet, it's back. So any Romulan's looking to fly the Support Cruiser Retrofit on a Fed Romulan... You can claim it once again, as long as you unlocked the promo back when it was offered. I still have mine from the first time this bug went live but for those who didn't notice. Enjoy!
    edited January 2016
    Well.. after about 5 hours of testing. I finally got my game fairly stable and the only other things I changed was switching from full screen to windowed maximized and going straight DirectX 9 not ex. Was able to play for about 5 hours straight yesterday with no crashes and today for about 3. The only time it crashed was a crash to desktop. I didn't get the error this thread is about.
    Well.. after about 5 hours of testing. I finally got my game fairly stable and the only other things I changed was switching from full screen to windowed maximized and going straight DirectX 9 not ex. Was able to play for about 5 hours straight yesterday with no crashes and today for about 3. The only time it crashed was a crash to desktop. I didn't get the error this thread is about.

I'll give that a try.

So it's Windowed Maximized and DirectX 9, not DirectX9ex?

Ok, for the third time, here goes nothing. (Hopefully, this'll be a classic case of "Third time's the charm.")

Wish me luck!

I'll give that a try.

Ok, for the third time, here goes nothing. (Hopefully, this'll be a classic case of "Third time's the charm.")

Wish me luck!

Just tried it, and it hung up on the Cryptic splash screen.

I'll try initializing it in Safe Mode, then switching it to Windowed Maximized once I'm in.

I'll give that a try.

Wish me luck!

I'll try initializing it in Safe Mode, then switching it to Windowed Maximized once I'm in.

Well, I'll be darned.

When my settings are at default, it's relatively stable!

But I need to keep a few settings (such as Auto-Stabilize Framerate) on.

I'll give that a try.

Wish me luck!

Well, I'll be darned.

I've just enabled the options I needed to, and switched back to Direct3D 9.

I'll give that a try.

Wish me luck!

Well, I'll be darned.

All my crashes have been to the desktop, so it's the entire game that goes out.

Frustrating!

(I'm starting to wish I'd upgraded to Windows 10 a little later.)

I'll give that a try.

Wish me luck!

Well, I'll be darned.

Frustrating!

Remaining in Safe Mode seems to do the trick, but having it in a small window instead of windowed maximized is rather difficult.

I'll give that a try.

Wish me luck!

Well, I'll be darned.

Frustrating!

Remaining in Safe Mode seems to do the trick, but having it in a small window instead of windowed maximized is rather difficult.

Safe Mode just crashed as well.

My graphics driver may have failed, so I'll turn on that option.

I'll give that a try.

Wish me luck!

Well, I'll be darned.

Frustrating!

Safe Mode just crashed as well.

My graphics driver may have failed, so I'll turn on that option.

I am now downloading the non-whql beta version of the Radeon Crimson Edition, 32 Bit Driver with dotnet45 for Windows 10, as recommended on the AMD support page.

Here's hoping that fixes the problem.

If it doesn't, I'm not sure what I'll do.
  • roysharproysharp Member Posts: 12 Arc User

I am having the same issue but I am using a Toshiba C-55 laptop. There was a command code that you can put in on the options in the launcher. Does anyone one know what that command line is?
  • roysharproysharp Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Like I stated before, I am using a Toshiba C-55 laptop with a dual core. I know there is a command line that you can use in the options menu on the launcher. Does anyone know what that command line is?
    -d3d11enable 0 -d3d9
    There is a new AMD driver available. The Crimson 16.1.1 HotFix drivers can be found here.

In terms of trying to narrow down things. I have been in the game more so just to see what I can enable without it crashing, especially on ESD. Out of the 4 items mentioned in the post from the Neverwinter thread. I have been able to keep the game going with Bloom set to high (at least for 4 days along with Post Processing enabled. Lighting is currently set to low along with shadows and I have yet to have a crash outside of the crashing on loading issue, which isn't related to this issue. I am going to give this new driver a try, although nothing is mentioned in the release notes about STO. Worst case, nothing will change.