test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STAR TREK BEYOND Concept Art Reveals a New Starship in the Federation Fleet (Spoilers)

Comments

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Nice looking ship.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Hmm, kind of a Federation/Romulan hybrid. It reminds me a bit of the Warp Delta/T'liss connection.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Maybe this explains the change in uniforms...and I wonder if some of the design features will make it into the new enterprise
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Hmm, kind of a Federation/Romulan hybrid. It reminds me a bit of the Warp Delta/T'liss connection.​​
    I dunno, looks more like an evolution of the NX to me.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    This appears to be a very small ship. Note the size of the bridge window and the windows on the saucer.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Yeah, I noticed that. Some kind of lifeboat maybe, or perhaps an equivalent to a Captain's yacht? The scalloped edges on the back of the saucer and the weird depression between the bridge and the edge of the saucer give me the impression it's meant to fit in something else.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Damn it, @thegrandnagus1... you beat me to it. :tongue::smile:

Interesting looking ship... very NX-class/Akira looking. A small scout ship, perhaps?
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    mhall85 wrote: »

Beat you to it? I posted this thread several hours ago :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    mhall85 wrote: »

Beat you to it? I posted this thread several hours ago :D

I never said I was quick on the trigger... :tongue:

I did just see this, and thought "I should post this in Ten Forward"... shame on me for falling asleep at the wheel. :wink:
    Ya know, the concept art should have been a picture of a motorcycle jumping through the air...

Too soon? :smiley:
  • gabeoz1gabeoz1 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    Wouldn't be surprising, we do know that the NX-01 is part of the JJ universe.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    gabeoz1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprising, we do know that the NX-01 is part of the JJ universe.

Considering the branching point was in 2233, of course the NX is a part of the AR. It wasn't until the Narada destroyed the Kelvin that things changed. Before that, everything that happened leading up to it remains unchanged.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    ok look.... FASA's old Loknar Class makes it into the JJverse
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Huh... that does look like the Loknar...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Huh... that does look like the Loknar...

Except not at all TOS like pig-2.gif

I don't like the AR ship design. Why does the hull material look like granite?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    I think it may be an older ship. It resembles an intermediate step between the NX Class and the Kelvin Type. The moulding of the parts resembles the NX and the hull material resembles that of the Kelvin era ships.

I still think it looks 'kinda Romulan as well though.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

What's up with those super weird random uniforms anyway? pig-2.gif

In TV Trek every season had their "signature uniform" basically, often mocked as to why Starfleet constantly issues new clothes. But the third AR movie and once again completely new uniforms? pig-26.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    That's not what the Loc'nar looks like at all. The Loc'nar is a glowing green sphere that drives people insane and causes bizarre, often horrific things to happen around it. Even knowing this, very few people have the strength to put the Loc'nar down once they've touched it...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    angrytarg wrote: »

In TV Trek every season had their "signature uniform" basically, often mocked as to why Starfleet constantly issues new clothes. But the third AR movie and once again completely new uniforms? pig-26.gif

I assume they come from the Franklin and are maybe a uniform between the second ENT ones and the Kelvin ones.​​

#TASforSTO

• theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Is it just me or doesn't that ship look like Romulan on that screen in behind Scotty? I mean, they are on board the Starfleet vessel of some kind (that's how the computer console looks to me, I'm guessing it's Enterprise) yet the ship isn't only green it's also much sleeker then you'd expect a Fed ship like this to be. I don't think that particular scene shows the Loknar, I don't see the connection you guys do.

Then again, with Vengenance, you don't really know what's the JJVerse "standard" for Fed vessels as far as design goes...
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.

In TV Trek every season had their "signature uniform" basically, often mocked as to why Starfleet constantly issues new clothes. But the third AR movie and once again completely new uniforms? pig-26.gif​​

well this is the first new uniform for the AR-Verse....in three movies...in the Prime universe they switched after one.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    edited January 2016
    khan5000 wrote: »
    well this is the first new uniform for the AR-Verse....in three movies...in the Prime universe they switched after one.

There's the 2230s uniform, the 2240s uniform, like six different sorts of dress uniforms, away team uniforms, shuttle uniforms, wetsuit uniforms, flag officer uniforms and now we have motorcycle jackets, blue away team uniforms - you get the point. It's like every scene they wear a different attire.

EDIT: Before someone jumps in to defend - this is not a statement about the quality of the movies. Original trek had a bunch of uniforms as well, but it never felt so excessive and superflous to me.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Two decks for sure, maybe three and no obvious weapons, so, perhaps a TOS-AR version of a Runabout?
    Or even a Captains Yacht?

Anybody check to see if there is something resembling this on the bottom of the AR-Enterprise primary hull?
    j/k
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited January 2016

There's the 2230s uniform, the 2240s uniform, like six different sorts of dress uniforms, away team uniforms, shuttle uniforms, wetsuit uniforms, flag officer uniforms and now we have motorcycle jackets, blue away team uniforms - you get the point. It's like every scene they wear a different attire.

EDIT: Before someone jumps in to defend - this is not a statement about the quality of the movies. Original trek had a bunch of uniforms as well, but it never felt so excessive and superflous to me.​​

I actually like that part of the new movies. They they have more than one uniform. It makes it more real for me. During my time in the US Navy...I had six different uniforms I had to maintain and each required a different set of requirements for wear.
    In the Star Trek they are wearing the cadet uniforms until the get on the ship and then they are wearing the ship board uniforms (red, gold and blue).
    The uniforms with the cap they wear in STID seem to be dress uniforms or working (officer) uniforms.

If you go back and watch TMP...Kirk changes his uniform like three times on one mission....the Admiral dress uniform...the long sleeve Captain's uniform and the short sleeved Captain's uniform
    Your pain runs deep.

That's easy. You just saw an article on Trekcore.com. About a new ship design, in the new Trek movie. I do understand what that silly meme means, but there was nothing crazy or shocking about a ship design that looks like other ships we've already seen in canon(the NX and romulan BOP).
    Then again, with Vengenance, you don't really know what's the JJVerse "standard" for Fed vessels as far as design goes...

Not exactly. We actually saw a lot of ships in the original movie, but most people forgot about them:

https://trekazoid.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/star-trek-2009-starfleet-vessels/

There was obviously a common theme in Starfleet design prior to the JJ-prise. The Vengeance was an experimental ship, so I don't think that represents normal ship design.

Also, there was *theoretically* a Constitution class before the JJ-prise:

http://imgur.com/a/B74t9

As you can see, it simply uses the same parts as the Kelvin, but arranged into the constitution shape. For that reason, this design has been called the "Kelvinprise" in fan circles. That said, this could *theoretically* be the ship that Robert April captained, then Pike, before the construction of the JJ-prise.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User

That's easy. You just saw an article on Trekcore.com. About a new ship design, in the new Trek movie. I do understand what that silly meme means, but there was nothing crazy or shocking about a ship design that looks like other ships we've already seen in canon(the NX and romulan BOP).

Not exactly. We actually saw a lot of ships in the original movie, but most people forgot about them:

https://trekazoid.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/star-trek-2009-starfleet-vessels/

There was obviously a common theme in Starfleet design prior to the JJ-prise. The Vengeance was an experimental ship, so I don't think that represents normal ship design.

Also, there was *theoretically* a Constitution class before the JJ-prise:

http://imgur.com/a/B74t9

As you can see, it simply uses the same parts as the Kelvin, but arranged into the constitution shape. For that reason, this design has been called the "Kelvinprise" in fan circles. That said, this could *theoretically* be the ship that Robert April captained, then Pike, before the construction of the JJ-prise.

It's a shame they didn't start with the "theoretical" Enterprise in the 2009 movie and then intro'd the upgraded one for STID.
    ah well...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    I actually like that part of the new movies. They they have more than one uniform. It makes it more real for me. During my time in the US Navy...I had six different uniforms I had to maintain and each required a different set of requirements for wear.
    In the Star Trek they are wearing the cadet uniforms until the get on the ship and then they are wearing the ship board uniforms (red, gold and blue).
    The uniforms with the cap they wear in STID seem to be dress uniforms or working (officer) uniforms.

If you go back and watch TMP...Kirk changes his uniform like three times on one mission....the Admiral dress uniform...the long sleeve Captain's uniform and the short sleeved Captain's uniform

The only thing bothering me about Trek uniforms always was that they got rid of away team jackets (the cage still had them). Wearing the shipboard uniform for every kind of away mission felt a little weird to me, which is why I like what STO did. Duty uniforms and excursion uniforms as well as dress uniforms. Everything more than that (aside from obvious situational utility wear like EV suits, jumpers or similiar) feels superflous to me. I mean it's the far away future. The clothing should be able to adapt itself in a way you can wear your excursion uniform in the desert or temperate as well.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif

The only thing bothering me about Trek uniforms always was that they got rid of away team jackets (the cage still had them). Wearing the shipboard uniform for every kind of away mission felt a little weird to me, which is why I like what STO did. Duty uniforms and excursion uniforms as well as dress uniforms. Everything more than that (aside from obvious situational utility wear like EV suits, jumpers or similiar) feels superflous to me. I mean it's the far away future. The clothing should be able to adapt itself in a way you can wear your excursion uniform in the desert or temperate as well.​​

agreed. I was re watching The Cage yesterday and lamented the demise of the away jacket (before realizing that The Cage has a lot of elements from Forbidden Planet)
    Your pain runs deep.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    The Air Force in the '80s wasn't quite so ridiculous, at least for enlisted personnel, but I did have to maintain my fatigues (the old olive-drab OG507s, before camo came to the AF), dress blues (jacket with decorations, long-sleeved shirt with decorations and tie, blue slacks, corfam shoes), and semi-dress blues (short-sleeved blue shirt without tie or fruit salad, same slacks and shoes as the dress uni). Long-sleeved blues were the order of the day in my office (HQ SAC/XOXPC, at Offutt AFB), except during the summer when the Base Commander would take mercy on us and allow the short-sleeved uniform. Fatigues were for when we drew special duty (like base litter patrol or moving furniture), because we worked in an underground office environment.

So yeah, multiple uniforms makes sense to me. And those cadet unis look as pointless and uncomfortable as what cadets have to wear at West Point and Annapolis, too. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png