test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is Nobody Else Reporting the Game Crashing???

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Indeed. Strangely enough, I've had quite a few random crashes since the event got hotfixed. Sometimes in space, sometimes on ground. Twice while attempting to do admiralty. Seemed like the game had a sudden memory spike and then crashed to desktop.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    The game has been crashing on me at random ever since the 6th Anniversary patch. It's gotten to the point of being completely unplayable. I've had two crashes while playing the newest FE. I won't even attempt any queued PvE with the game being like this. It's all completely random - I've even been crashing while browsing the exchange or doing admirality stuff while being alone for 10minutes in a Fleet Dilithium Mine. No sudden camera changes, graphical effects, no action, nothing. And then suddenly crash to desktop. The omega particle daily usually takes at least one crash for me before I'll visit all three locations...

Cryptic, clearly this isn't an isolated issue, with so many people reporting crashes. Please look into this.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User

Very good suggestions, but there is absolutely no degredation or physical issues stemming from the hardware.

My RIG is outdated yes, but has always been more than sufficient in running MMORPG's, and this game has never been an exception till S9 landed, and keeps getting worse with every new addition they make.

RIG

OS: W10 Home [have used prior to this OS, W7 32bit & W8]
    CPU: AMD Athlon 7550 X86 dual core 2.50 GHz [X64 capable]
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 or 650 1GB DX12 compatible [currently using 650]
    Chipset: Nvidia
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel [3.25 usable]
    DISK: 320GB SATA 3Gb/s @ 7200rpm
    PSU: 650W Ultra Professional LSP ATX
    This is a pretty basic rig, but has never had issues until S9 and beyond.

All hardware works 100%, has no errors reported, no physical dmg, and has tons of colling capacity made available to the point of never exceeding 42*C on any hardware EVER!!!

Memory is always an issue with 32bit systems, but this game originated with a 32bit OS back when WinXP was it's starting grounds.

3 32bit OS have had the same issue on my rig since S9+, 4GBT has little effect, PAE doesn't make any difference either, so I am blaming the game client optimization as the leading cause or a possible corrupted file, but files are always force verified constantly and no such errors have happened, just CTD woopsie TRIBBLE.

It's not like Cryptic hasn't been sent full crash reports from me, but seems they haven't done any tinkering to resolve such issues like these, if ever!!!

Does the motherboard have a Realtek NIC/Ethernet card fitted? Should find the info in device manager - if so right click and select properties, look for interrupt moderation and disable this. Aparently it works for Neverwinter so might also work for STO.

Otherwise I will keep an eye open for anything else which might help.

Edit: Interrupt moderation is under the advanced tab in the network card properties.

Nope, it does however have a 56k modem, and a Nvidia 10/100 ethernet card.

Ahhhhh yeaaaaaah baby, a 56k modem, oh yeah......no but really, I have gone from being able to play for roughly hours before a crash occurs, to now only roughly 10-20mins. mostly since their recent hotfixes and event, heck it even crashes on log outs as well.

There has been several complaints, from users about crashing issues as of late!!!

56k modem ... ah the memories, back in the days when I was running FPS servers for MOHAA, we had a clan member who was still on 56k due to where he lived. It was hilarious to see players dying for no reason then watch him zip at high speed across the map as his system attempted to catch-up with the server and vice versa.

Back to the matter at hand, might be worth trying the interrupt moderation fix on the Nvidia NIC in any case. Might be the case that the hardware is based on the Realtek model but rebadged under licence as Nvidia.

My other thought, and unfortunately if it is the case then it will be ongoing for a while, is that this is a windows issue. Specifically an issue related to windows 8.1 which iirc was realeased at a similar time to season 9. Win 8.1 was short-lived for much the same reasons as some other OS backtracks (millenium and vista spring to mind), namely unexplained incompatability issues. Software which worked previously, suddenly stopped working even when run in compatability modes, this was due to change in how some procedures were handled under win8.1 - things such as physical memory addresses etc. I would imagine that in a dynamic environment such as online games, this had to be accounted for and the relevant changes made to ensure compatability for those running the new OS. My thinking is that on occasion calls are triggered where the window 8.1 version of the variable takes precedence and when the error is produced, it repeats and reaches the point where the command to quit is issued - in other words teminate the application and return to desktop. This thinking could also be applied where freezes and unexplained lag is encountered - in these cases the incorrect call is replaced during the retry cycle with the correct call and the game continues. Unfortunately, as I am not privy to the internals of Microsoft, I am at a loss as to how a situation such as this would be remedied.

• fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    Client is crashing about once an hour or so. It started happening when the Anniversary started. It appears that I'm only crashing on maps where the Omega Molecule Stabilization minigame is going. I've submitted multiple crash reports, but haven't heard anything back from PWE.
  • jamboxdotcomjamboxdotcom Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Game was working fine for me until this last maintenance. All this weekend, I was crashing to desktop about once per hour, much like others have experienced. For the record, I have all my settings at pretty much the bare minimum, so it shouldn't be a problem with having anything set too high.
  • aeternusdoleoaeternusdoleo Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    See also: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/12841918

Looks like the trouble is specifically related to people with NVidia cards and W7 or higher operating systems.
    ... forget your fears. And want no more...

Ex-PWI player (Dawnglory): Ulsyr (BM 104/104/103)
    Now on STO. More fun there.