test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game freezing in loading screens and crashing.

lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
So since winter event ended, I have been getting very long loading screens all over the maps and often times the game will stop responding in the loading screens. About 1 in 3 screens will crash due to not responding.
1e3sni150tar.jpg

Comments

• feordilagorgefeordilagorge Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    I just started another Sunrise mission and got through the first part where you scan a few things and then are supposed to warp to another area and got a black screen, then the game crashed. Now, when I login, I get stuck on the loading screen at "94.59" and the game eventually crashes, making it unplayable.

Things like this are really bad and should be paid more attention to. When someone gets locked out of the game like this, they will probably just play another game and may get hooked on it and not return to STO for a long time, if ever.
    Star Citizen: Pay-2-Win?
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
    * With purchase of another Hong Kong of equal or greater value.
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Had the same problem,still do in a limited capacity.Support told me to uncheck on demand patching in options window on the launcher.Not sure if it will help completely as I did it and now I occasionally crash.I now crash maybe two times in an hour,but before at it's worst I would crash a dozen times an hour.
  • dracko1985dracko1985 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    im in missionreunion and im crashing every time aand i get this corrupt pig file at the end every time
  • feordilagorgefeordilagorge Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I don't have On-Demand Patching selected, which means I have the entire game downloaded. I did the "Force Verify" yesterday and was able to login again. This morning, I try logging in and I'm stuck in the transition again.

This is really beginning to irritate.

I've noticed this usually affects only certain toons. I can login with all but one.
    Star Citizen: Pay-2-Win?
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
    * With purchase of another Hong Kong of equal or greater value.
  • ezesquireezesquire Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I am suffering from the same issue as well. It happens at least once a night for me.
  • casper32433casper32433 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I'm also having the same problem, happened 3 times last night 1/27. Just happened again tonight after the patch 1/28. Has happened on the loading screen after changing characters.
  • enochenoch Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Same problem here, with my computer config I cant even alt-tab out, I have to log out while the game dominates the entire screen, while windows keeps everything but the start bar behind it. It feels like it happens more than 50% of the time. It's getting to the point playing is starting to become too much of a hassle. I don't really remember it happening at all before the end of the winter event.
  • generalkertag#2364 generalkertag Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Well mine just started doing all that after the update today (1/29/16) and I am wondering why they even had to update in the first place, my game was working just fine, now it crashes every time I try to change maps.
    2j4zi3k.jpg

• enochenoch Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Turned off on demand patching, received 3 gigs of files, still freezes when loading zones more than 50% of the time. Since windows 10 and sto hate each other, task manager is hidden behind the black screen of an alt-tabbed frozen sto, making it impossible for me to close it to interact with anything other than the startbar. I do not run into this issue with any other game. Whatever the game is stuck on it feels is so important nothing else can happen. Being able to minimize a crashed program is handy if the program lets it happen. I know for a fact windows has been able to allow this for a long time, if the program is written to take advantage of it. Sorry if I'm grasping at straws but I wouldn't feel the need if I knew this issue was being seriously addressed. Having actual education in IT, it's hard not to try and help solve it, even if it feels like screaming in space. Event viewer doesn't show anything, so the problems seem isolated to the actual gameclient. Not being able to alt-tab out of it properly seems to be a problem with the gamclient and video driver, as this symptom isn't universal, older directx video cards seem to be able to tab out regardless of OS. Ones made more recently have to sneak past and get to the start bar to log out that way to close the gameclient. Having the game effectively crash almost every loading screen is bad enough, having to log out or restart windows to get around it is too much.

-Windowed Maximized-
    Well, it seems to never happen when the game runs in windowed maximized mode, and while the performance is much less, it's workable until the issue is fixed. The load screens are a lot faster too, probably because the processor is just sitting there :P Running on a GX60, A10/R9 and I am pretty sure it's running completely off the graphics chip alone; on full screen, the processor's integrated graphics almost doubles the speed, but that is where the load screen keeps freezing.
    Post edited by enoch on
  • monterey7monterey7 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    7 hours of trying to complete the Omega Particle quest. Over 100 DCs. Now its stuck at "Patching" again. How to get 1000 if I can't get 40!
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    Excessive crashing for myself as of late!

Possible memory leakage detected, when trying to run client in compatibility mode.

Excessive CPU usage on an AMD Athlon X86 7550 dual core 2.5GHz processor.

Exceedingly high RAM consumption when switching maps, as in it keeps getting larger the more you change them, as well as changing characters.

Initial startup, forces my processor to max out to the point of the game client becoming unresponsive, temporarily!!!

This is noticed from having the resource monitor open, monitoring all activity from the game client the entire time!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    Same problem a crash on almost every map transfew.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    A lot of game crashing on loading screens and character changes. Started 2 or 3 patches ago.

Literally now I've had 2 crashes in a row just trying to do the Omega daily, one exiting Drozana station, another entering Ds9.

The omega daily mission also had to be promoted to primary mission so I didn't have to start all over again.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • eltecheltech Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    I just started getting it today, so it seems likely that it was yesterday's patch that screwed things up, again.​​
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    Sounds like some of you are having the same problem I have lately, so out of curiosity does anyone crash or get logged out due to the server not responding on the character screen?
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    No, I get freezes at 23% sometimes, but never logged out or crashed on character menu, only when loading dense populated maps while already playing for sometime (like Qonos).
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • eltecheltech Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    Mine usually freezes around 40%, and if you click your mouse on it, then it crashes. Once in a while I can go a half hour with no issues, but it's been rare
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    I am experiening the game freezing as it loads between 40 and 97. I am using a mac to play STO. Happens at ESD/Vulcan/Drozana station and everywhere else. This has been going on for days and it has been going on for hours today. It seems to be worse than before. I had to long in and out many times today.
  • casper32433casper32433 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Game has locked up on the map loading screen 3 times so far tonight, in a row. Get error message from windows that "Gameclient.exe is not responding" This is getting extremely annoying as it has been happening for almost 2 weeks now. This needs to get fixed ASAP.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    3 crashes in a row today on map changes. It isn't an SNR or anything. Just the loading screens suddenly freeze. When it first started happening I gave it a good 5-10 min not touching anything and it was still stuck. Clicking on the window makes it go white (Win8) and the 'task not responding' pops up. I also have a lot of toons that I hop through and getting stuck like that is frustrating. I don't know of any workarounds. Heard someone mention doing a clean uninstall and reinstall might solve it.

Are there registry entries this game makes? What are their location? Apparently those too need to be deleted so the reinstall clears whatever was botched.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • aeternusdoleoaeternusdoleo Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I have had the same problem since the Jan 28 update - random crashes wherever I am in the game or whatever I am doing. After reinstalling the game, bashing my head against the wall for hours and various other ineffective solution attempts, I checked what else updated around that time. And noticed the NVidia driver decided to also update.

I guess the NVidia driver update of Jan 27 is somewhat buggy. Reverted to the previous version, so far it seems more stable.
    ... forget your fears. And want no more...

Ex-PWI player (Dawnglory): Ulsyr (BM 104/104/103)
    Now on STO. More fun there.
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    I would also recommend anyone getting freezing etc to open control panel ---> device manager and look for network/ethernet card, click on this. If the word Realtek is present, right click on the entry and select properties. On the properties screen select the advanced tag and in the settings box highlight interrupt moderation. On the right there will be a droplist , change the setting to disabled.

This has been reported as a solution for other cryptic games, so may help.

With regard to registry entries, download the free version of ccleaner and run the registry cleaner included in the application. It may be of benefit to also run the cleaner itself and clear any old files out (windows leaves a lot of debris when installing updates etc, which can slow you down) - also ensure the dns cache option is checked as this will clear your connection cache.
    Finally defrag.

If you are reinstalling, also open your hard drive and manually delete any folders etc which remain after the uninstall - this will ensure everything is written afresh, it is possible that if the installation process detects some files are still present then they can be skipped. Also recommend defrag after install, this will reduce the fragmented files at the outset - when applications install they tend to fill spaces on the drive rather than write continual files.
  • theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User

I guess the NVidia driver update of Jan 27 is somewhat buggy. Reverted to the previous version, so far it seems more stable.

I hope this provides a permanent fix for you, on the other hand, I'm using AMD cards so that's sadly not a fix for everyone. In my case, it also happens on two machines now, one W10 the other W8.1, so not OS related either.
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    enoch wrote: »
    Turned off on demand patching, received 3 gigs of files, still freezes when loading zones more than 50% of the time. Since windows 10 and sto hate each other, task manager is hidden behind the black screen of an alt-tabbed frozen sto, making it impossible for me to close it to interact with anything other than the startbar. I do not run into this issue with any other game. Whatever the game is stuck on it feels is so important nothing else can happen. Being able to minimize a crashed program is handy if the program lets it happen. I know for a fact windows has been able to allow this for a long time, if the program is written to take advantage of it. Sorry if I'm grasping at straws but I wouldn't feel the need if I knew this issue was being seriously addressed. Having actual education in IT, it's hard not to try and help solve it, even if it feels like screaming in space. Event viewer doesn't show anything, so the problems seem isolated to the actual gameclient. Not being able to alt-tab out of it properly seems to be a problem with the gamclient and video driver, as this symptom isn't universal, older directx video cards seem to be able to tab out regardless of OS. Ones made more recently have to sneak past and get to the start bar to log out that way to close the gameclient. Having the game effectively crash almost every loading screen is bad enough, having to log out or restart windows to get around it is too much.

-Windowed Maximized-
    Well, it seems to never happen when the game runs in windowed maximized mode, and while the performance is much less, it's workable until the issue is fixed. The load screens are a lot faster too, probably because the processor is just sitting there :P Running on a GX60, A10/R9 and I am pretty sure it's running completely off the graphics chip alone; on full screen, the processor's integrated graphics almost doubles the speed, but that is where the load screen keeps freezing.

Nice to see someone else considering other options. Couple of ideas for you to mull over and possibly expand.

With win10 turning superfetch to manual startup in services, sometimes helps as apparently win10 has a habit of starting random frequently used apps and holding them ready to use.

What version of graphics drivers are you using? Could there be a conflict between amd/nvidia control panel settings and the game - just thinking if gameclient is trying to render certain objects during the loading process and settings are conflicting this could cause the PC equivalent of "brainfreeze".

I think part of the problem with this issue is that with two identical systems - one will exhibit the issue but the other runs as good as can be expected for an online game. The other problem is the diverse range of system specs and OS involved. Again with some posts there are no specs to identify if there is a possible conflict. The former definitely makes it difficult to identify exactly why this happens.

• cjseven01cjseven01 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Glad i'm not the only one having this problem i cant even change screens now it crashes every time !
  • khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    have the same problem and running windows 7.

tried driver change and reinstalling the game without luck
  • daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    same problem here also
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User

harlequinpixie told me

" Launch the game,
    Go to options,
    Then advanced,
    And finally, turn Reduced file streaming to on.
    Quit the game, then relaunch."

worked for me. No crashing so far.
  • ercerumercerum Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I have the same issue, i have had this issue since the winter wonderland update and it's only gotten worse since these past two updates. I crash at 40% of the loading screen and it always crashes at 40%. I have done a clean reinstallation three times to no avail.