test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance [January 29th, 2016]

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Greetings Captains!

We will be having an emergency maintenance tomorrow 1/29 at 7AM PST for 2 1/2 hours. You can find the patch notes here.

=/\=

We value your feedback and want to help direct it to the right locations. Please check the following link to redirect to the best sub-forums to post your replies.

Experiencing a Gameplay Bug with our latest patch? Please click this link to be taken to our Gameplay Bug Report Section to file your reports.

Thank you for the assistance!

The Star Trek Online Team

Comments

• sicklzsicklz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    My patch will not update keeps going into error :(
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    That's a very small start! Hopefully there will be maintenance every day until they get the bulk of everything that needs to be urgently fixed.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    My Gorn (going for the Krenim Science vessel since he's used to flying Gorn Science vessels) and my Ferasan (looking to complete the Samsar project he didn't get finished last year) will thank you.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Aww, no fix for the invisible Trill legs in Leeta's shorts?

Or more colour options for the shorts in the first place?
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I was wondering, why are such events never brought to the Tribble test server one week in advance for everybody to test? Obvious bug like these could have been easily prevented from appearing on Holodeck.
  • xariamaxariama Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    I was wondering, why are such events never brought to the Tribble test server one week in advance for everybody to test? Obvious bug like these could have been easily prevented from appearing on Holodeck.

The six people that are willing to test can't catch everything, though I commend them for finding what they can.
    Lane Bjorn Jorgensson, Captain, ISS Voltaire

Here's a map to show how much they've screwed up the game map.
  • merciantrooopermerciantroooper Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Please fix the numerous mirror uniform issues. :)
  • ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Errr.... guys, you are not fixing the "not ready ship" bug? Compared to all the others this one
    is an elephant. There are hundreds of players that cannot use their ship and they are restrained
    on their shuttle. Don't you think that this has the maximum priority compared to the messages errors
    and the vouchers?
  • anjc#8825 anjc Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    ayexeyen wrote: »
    Errr.... guys, you are not fixing the "not ready ship" bug? Compared to all the others this one
    is an elephant. There are hundreds of players that cannot use their ship and they are restrained
    on their shuttle. Don't you think that this has the maximum priority compared to the messages errors
    and the vouchers?

go to ground (esd, ds9, dyson, S39,K7,Drosana (so misspelled), etc...) and switch from there
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Are the near constant crashes some players are going through going to be dealt with?
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
      and the vouchers?

go to ground (esd, ds9, dyson, S39,K7,Drosana (so misspelled), etc...) and switch from there

No pal, I tried and it doesn't work. Nothing works. Me and hundreds of other players cannot use the normal starship.
    • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
      Yup. It sure looks like this maintenance is sure gonna cover a lot of -
      :: removes sunglasses ::
      - Ground.
      :: musical sting plays ::
      f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
      Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    • djangel82#1532 djangel82 Member Posts: 1 New User
      Is there a way to hide those god awful messages about people getting ships from Lock boxs? Yesterday.. all i got was message after message popping up every 2 seconds about people getting ships. I DON'T CARE!!!!
    • pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
      "Resolved an issue that prevented the 2015 Anniversary Ship Event Reputation Project from accepting 6th Anniversary Prize Vouchers."

Hallelujah
    • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
      and the vouchers?

You would think...

But... as an ex-computer programmer myself:

Errors can be caused by any number of reasons. Many are caused by simple things like a typo or the use of a wrong punctuation mark.
      Some are caused by a complicated interplay of issues, variables, controls, trackers, related subroutines, etc. etc. etc.

I betcha the majority of the fixes in this patch are of the former variety - change one character / word, compile (make into game-mode), fixed.

And, in light of how many places that ship name thing bounces around, the issues with the broken-ship-selector is probably caused by the second type of issue, so they're probably still pouring through entire sections of code, checking the interplay between them, and trying to figure out exactly which one of them decided to break.

To make this even more annoying, what if the "root cause" isn't in the ship variables themselves, but in something else, like whatever's been going on to cause people see "shuttle information" instead of "ship information" when they call up the info screen on someone.

You know, that thing where if you were to info me you would see "VF 102 [Tholian Widow Fighter]" even though I'm sitting in my "U.S.S. Little Paradise [Long Range Science Vessel [T6]]".

And if they haven't fixed that in years, (since more-or-less the launch of the ship/shuttle system) what makes you think they'd fix it in 18 hours or so?
      Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    • gillopi2gillopi2 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
      yeah! another day i don't get to play before work and of course there is something free to get in game. please fix it right this time
    • kasrakenkasraken Member Posts: 213 Bug Hunter
      and the vouchers?

A workaround was found for this (not saying it don't need to be fixed.. just saying there is a way to get your ship back).
      - claim a new ship (if you have a slot available) or discharge and reclaim a ship you don't care about.
      MacoShield_zpsus2ux3rw.png
      Operational Support Team
      Squishing Bugs for a better future
    • nunoespadinha#0711 nunoespadinha Member Posts: 124 Arc User
      I think you should give more two hours and a half for today's giveaway... I just arrived home and i'm sure i will be out again before 10..​​
      U.S.S. Achiever
      Junae, Girquay, Meman'Ikan, Deanna, Elisa Flores, Nuno Espadinha, Heidi, Kolez, T'Vrell, Zarva, Vocan, Oeshi
      Zv9NH5Z.png
    • tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
      Is there a way to hide those god awful messages about people getting ships from Lock boxs? Yesterday.. all i got was message after message popping up every 2 seconds about people getting ships. I DON'T CARE!!!!

You know where the menu is for adjusting your chat settings? There's a menu item right above (or below) it called 'notifications'. Just turn off 'gameplay notifications' in that menu. You'll have to do it separately for every alt.
      86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
      dareau wrote: »
      I betcha the majority of the fixes in this patch are of the former variety - change one character / word, compile (make into game-mode), fixed.

They'll be erroneous database/table entries or a failed commit to the patched version or something simple like that, but yes, more or less simpleish fixes.
      And, in light of how many places that ship name thing bounces around, the issues with the broken-ship-selector is probably caused by the second type of issue, so they're probably still pouring through entire sections of code, checking the interplay between them, and trying to figure out exactly which one of them decided to break.

To make this even more annoying, what if the "root cause" isn't in the ship variables themselves, but in something else, like whatever's been going on to cause people see "shuttle information" instead of "ship information" when they call up the info screen on someone.

Likely so. They could even wind up being subtle interaction bugs in the development tools. I've seen that happen a few times before. (Not in STO, but in some projects I'd worked on before. The compiler's optimizer itself (obscure and extinct language) had been introducing memory leaks (plural) into my code, a critical loop. Took some doing to find them both and work around them.)
    • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
      No pal, I tried and it doesn't work. Nothing works. Me and hundreds of other players cannot use the normal starship.

Try reclaiming a ship from the C store? That worked for some people.
    • botc76botc76 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
      This might be just a minor issue, but I didn't take the free Two Enhanced Universal Tech Upgrades yesterday, as I wasn't playing with the toon I wanted to use them on. Was going to do that right now and find out there's an emergency maintenance going (as far as I see) on past the time I could still claim those upgrades.
      I'm probably not the only one who has the same problem. Will we be able to claim them once the server is running again?

Sorry if I'm wrong and you can already still claim them afterwards. I do get confused sometimes with the different timezones.
      I think so, botc76. The giveaway rollovers seem to happen a bit later in the day, at _least_ three hours from now. So you should have an hour or so to grab it when the server's back up. I wouldn't wait, though.
    • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
      Assuming the maintenance finishes on time you SHOULD have 30 minutes to claim yesterdays freebie,but obviously can't guarantee anything
    • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User
      jcsww wrote: »
      That's a very small start! Hopefully there will be maintenance every day until they get the bulk of everything that needs to be urgently fixed.

Rather a selfish thought, ain't it ? Always annoying the same group of players with a downtime, each day. I would not mind a daily update too, but only if Cryptic is able to do it whitout shutting down the server.

• nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
      rangerryu wrote: »
      Assuming the maintenance finishes on time you SHOULD have 30 minutes to claim yesterdays freebie,but obviously can't guarantee anything
      If it's the same as yesterday, the old item would be gone and the new available right after the reboot, not at the time it changes on non-reboot days. :(
    • darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
      rangerryu wrote: »

yeah that would be the exception not the norm.
    • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
      Not wanting to be critical here and thank you for identifying a issue and jumping on it so quick, but ! how many patches with Content/Bug fixes in them are going to need an emergency patch fix the following day ?.
      Forget the Xmas and New Year ones as they were server restarts with no actual updates, but i think all or most of the patches that contained Content or Bug Fixes in december had to have a patch the following day and a few in November.

Now i appreicate software coding is a complicated skill. Far to much Maths involved for my small CPU and RAM to handle and again thanks for identifying and fixing asap, But to identify it so soon and implement a fix i have to ask the question should these bugs not be identified before release. I mean the Omega Particles not appearing or being hidden behind walls or the Text for the Mesh Weaver from the lock box, and the Lobi Uniforms ?.

Obviously there are some bugs that can't be identified until the the code goes live as there can be conflicts. But those i mentioned and i'm sorry if this causes any offence as on a far grander scale you all do a great job, but it feels kinda lazy to allow those issues to get past QC.

As compensation i will accept a Tier 6 Nebula or Sovereign added to the game within the next 100 days. Gives me chance to save up for some Zen to buy them.

Thank You

• pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
      STO Holodeck is unlocked!
    • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
      Click the gear thing to the right of your text field in the shoutbox and choose Notification Settings. Then unclick Gameplay Announcements.
      Now a LTS and loving it.
      Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
      I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D