Install Arc
Options

Risa Summer Event 2016: clothing suggestion

2»

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    So, if we wanted men to be able to wear bikinis, it's not just some switch we flip to allow it, it means recreating the bikini on the male skeleton.

How about the "only wearable on map X" thing that certain outfits have? Is that just some switch you flip to allow them everywhere?
  • Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    Doing that for *everything* would take a tremendous amount of work, and take quite a while to accomplish, all for questionable gains.

I realize the formal-wear is probably a very done deal by now, but if you guys ever revisit it, I'd love to see more formal-ish wear, including suits (or at least pants) and/or nice long dresses for female chars, particularly for non-fed chars.
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    tinyfisted wrote: »
    Doing that for *everything* would take a tremendous amount of work, and take quite a while to accomplish, all for questionable gains.

I realize the formal-wear is probably a very done deal by now, but if you guys ever revisit it, I'd love to see more formal-ish wear, including suits (or at least pants) and/or nice long dresses for female chars, particularly for non-fed chars.
    I second this and in fact if you're gonna do a formal wear, make it accessable to all factions.

5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • Options
    unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    cidjack wrote: »
    Sticking with only I am subject matter expert on, I fully support topless females on Risa.

Good luck with that. I hear topless males are already controversial :expressionless:

I am still waiting for the "Betazoid Wedding Guest" clothing option...
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Just play a female character and pretend she's a man. You can change the body structure in the uniform tailor to give the character a more masculine build and then throw the bikini on. Whammo! Instant man/woman! Or whichever you want to put first...woman/man as the case may be. I've never tried this before, so I'm not sure just how masculine you could get a female character, but see if it works.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    @salazarraze , Contrary to popular belief, not all Caitian players are E-RP'ers. The only reason I'm playing Caitian's is because they make good ground toons. And for the record: I usually wear MACO gear or Odyssey uniforms. No need to insinuate things.
    I didn't have Erpers on my mind, though it's easy to see how you could have thought that. Sorry. My insinuation is that you are a typical online gamer that enjoys fantasy/anime in all things. Whether it's Star Trek or anything else that's not fantasy or anime. There have been other MMO's in the past that were targeted in their artistic scope (one in particular that was 1500's Earth) that eventually expanded to having full blown dragons, unicorns, and other magical animals for mounts. They also added anime styled outfits/armor/hair/weapons to go along with the authentic looking 1500's style clothing options. For some reason, Caitians get lumped together with this crowd in my mind as Caitians/Ferasans always seem out of place to me.
    risian4 wrote: »
    As for the statement thing: it's not necessarily a political statement. And who cares what FOX would think of it? This is a Star Trek game. Trek is known for its progressive POV. If FOX doesn't like that, then so be it. There will always be people or companies who disagree with statements, if everyone agreed there wouldn't be a need to make a statement, right?
    Like you said, it's a game. It's a money making enterprise (pun intended). There's no monetary benefit to doing what you suggest. A later poster made a decent point that if you want to, you can make male looking female toons by using the sliders. And if you want to make female looking male toons you can also use the slider, sans bust. The only other limit that you would have with this is not having a good selection of long hair styles for men.
    ...asking for our own personal freedom of choice with greater in-game options such as allowing toon gender change...
    There's nothing wrong with this. I don't know if it's possible, but if it is, it would certain solve the OP's conundrum.
    zigerrat wrote: »
    ...There's certainly nothing unusual about men wearing bikinis, although we usually call them Speedos. And the skant for men is canon. Hate on that and yes, you are a Star Trek hater...
    I would support adding speedos to the game. Speedos are worn by men around the world. Admittedly I had to look up what a "Skant" is and I support adding it to the game.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    @darkmeow504

So your wall of text is basically "live with it?" You can talk about all pushing the norms but in the end this game is a business that is setup to maximize profits, not a political forum.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Wow. So we have to belong to a particular politically progressive spectrum to enjoy Star Trek as science fiction? Words to describe the sheer hubris of that fail me.

STO doesn't have to push all the boundaries to be a fun game, and it might be counter to PWE's interests to push all of the boundaries all of the time.

That said, we all understand the 'paper doll' aspect of Cryptic games and diverse costume choices are going to be a given. As long as they don't go past a certain level of raciness acceptable for the Teen ESRB rating and I'm not forced to put up with my characters and crew in costumes I don't want, it's no skin off my nose what someone else wants to dress up their characters in and it doesn't have to have anything to do with my politics or otherwise.

So why not agree to just talk about costumes and leave the political elitist TRIBBLE off the forum?
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Please no more of this:

polls_Big_Mommas_House_2_04_0233_199190_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    Wow. So we have to belong to a particular politically progressive spectrum to enjoy Star Trek as science fiction? Words to describe the sheer hubris of that fail me.

STO doesn't have to push all the boundaries to be a fun game, and it might be counter to PWE's interests to push all of the boundaries all of the time.

That said, we all understand the 'paper doll' aspect of Cryptic games and diverse costume choices are going to be a given. As long as they don't go past a certain level of raciness acceptable for the Teen ESRB rating and I'm not forced to put up with my characters and crew in costumes I don't want, it's no skin off my nose what someone else wants to dress up their characters in and it doesn't have to have anything to do with my politics or otherwise.

So why not agree to just talk about costumes and leave the political elitist TRIBBLE off the forum?

because they can't. The sit there with their agenda, pushing a company to make changes that in the US is a huge minority and anyone who opposes them are haters and homophobes and such. the laughable thing is that I AM BISEXUAL. the do not represent me in any what shape or form. they have taken something like love and attraction and politicized it for thier own warped view of the world, and their self deluded POV that they are being "suppressed." I'm bowing out of this thread because there is no arguing with a fanatic. I just pray that Cryptic does not accede to these ridiculous demands
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    @darkmeow504

You assume to much of my political leanings, one of my proudest moments was being the best man for my uncle when he married his partner of 20 years.

This topic breaks down two ways, social norms and technical. Tacofangs has already explained how difficult it would be to make clothing unisex. Social norms is the harder one to change. Who sets social norms? I personally would not care if crossing dressing in the game was added. Even as this game takes place in the 24th century, we are still playing in the 21st, and be as it may, current social norms have a greater influence then what Gene Roddenberry wanted.

It is already one step at a time when change happens, the devs added a couple of female klingons to the game and all hell broke lose on these forums.

Do it right and you will gain acceptance and equal with others, do it wrong and you will set back the whole movement.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    This is quickly turning into people making it into a political discussion. I believe that what could be said was said - we had Tacofangs to chime in, from the technical standpoint as well; the rest has nothing to do with STO & costumes.
    /Closed.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

This discussion has been closed.