test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Those canonical cameos

Cryptic is doing a good job trying to base their stories on the actual characters, items and events from the ST canon. It is, however, sometimes elusive and should be better emphasised. Nobody remembers every TV episode and such an extra knowledge (lore, as we would say) would add to the depth of the game. Otherwise, this extra fun and involvement in the story is lost.

I hereby propose that whenever a "factual" canonical character or event is described or approached in a mission or on a general map, an outside link should be made to the Memory Alpha database and to an appropriate scene from a TV series or a movie (on youtube perhaps?). Hell, the wiki site or the video could even be embedded in the game window! Thus, not having to abandon the mission, one could immerse himself deeper in the adventure, by watching the given scene or an in-depth description.

Mentioning about those in the mission dialogues is not enough. A picture (and especially, a motion picture) is worth 1000 dry words.

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    this has already been suggested and trendy is well aware of it.

from the gentle repose thread:
    daveyny wrote: »
    This is one of those moments when it pays to have a somewhat intimate knowledge of ALL the assorted Trek episodes.

Hey Trendy, how about listing an episode addendum at the end of these stories, as to which Series and Episode is being referenced, so folks can rewatch those particular ones to refresh their memories?
    B)
    How funny! I was just talking with the team re: pushing for another one of those for our next set of blogs!
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    I honestly wish the game would remind me I'm playing a a Star Trek game less often. To me making every single thing a reference to the show is pretty jarring...especially in the dialogue. For example, if a food item is mentioned, it will absolutely be a food item mentioned somewhere in the show. I want a game in the Star Trek universe, not a game that constantly screams "HEY DO YOU REMEMBER THIS THING THAT WAS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 421 of DEEP SPACE 9??? LOOK AT ME I'M TREK!!!"
  • caltircaltir Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I have no problem with that whatsoever. Especially that this mechanism would make it LESS invasive and more optional.

As for Trendy being aware (@mirrorchaos), let's then hope his awareness will rise to that critical point when concepts become intents.
    edited January 2016
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I honestly wish the game would remind me I'm playing a a Star Trek game less often. To me making every single thing a reference to the show is pretty jarring...especially in the dialogue. For example, if a food item is mentioned, it will absolutely be a food item mentioned somewhere in the show. I want a game in the Star Trek universe, not a game that constantly screams "HEY DO YOU REMEMBER THIS THING THAT WAS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 421 of DEEP SPACE 9??? LOOK AT ME I'M TREK!!!"

I don't follow you. I don't think the game does go out of it's way to shout references; the fact is, you are looking at this from the perspective of someone who knows what those things are.

To a new player and/or someone unfamiliar with the Trek universe, those references won't mean much. And frankly, I've come across players who had no idea whatsoever what my Wells class starship was nor what episode it might have been from - same applies to my 29th Century uniform. And my Suliban Cell ship has confused one or two 'not familiar with Trek as a whole' players.

And to be honest, I don't see your point with regard to food items. Yes, Hasperat is a menu item - but the method of obtaining it makes NO reference to an episode or person and is simply a vaugely labelled dish with a reference to where it was from (i.e 'Bajoran Hasperat').

Fact is, this IS a Trek game; a game that, like most, wants to attract new players - players who are very likely going to be unfamiliar with Trek as a whole and MAY just decide to Google those episode references and purchase said episode(s).

Space is "infinite", not everything needs to be something from the show. The fact that it doesn't bother YOU doesn't change anything.

I don't follow you. I don't think the game does go out of it's way to shout references; the fact is, you are looking at this from the perspective of someone who knows what those things are.

To a new player and/or someone unfamiliar with the Trek universe, those references won't mean much. And frankly, I've come across players who had no idea whatsoever what my Wells class starship was nor what episode it might have been from - same applies to my 29th Century uniform. And my Suliban Cell ship has confused one or two 'not familiar with Trek as a whole' players.

And to be honest, I don't see your point with regard to food items. Yes, Hasperat is a menu item - but the method of obtaining it makes NO reference to an episode or person and is simply a vaugely labelled dish with a reference to where it was from (i.e 'Bajoran Hasperat').

Fact is, this IS a Trek game; a game that, like most, wants to attract new players - players who are very likely going to be unfamiliar with Trek as a whole and MAY just decide to Google those episode references and purchase said episode(s).

Space is "infinite", not everything needs to be something from the show. The fact that it doesn't bother YOU doesn't change anything.

And the fact that it does bother YOU doesn't change anything either.

And I still don't see where you are coming from. Not everything IS from the show, but then again even the things that are don't shout about it as you claim they do.

Again, you are only viewing this from the point of view of someone who is familiar with Trek; the fact is that Cryptic/PWE are trying to make their Star Trek game appeal to a new auidience; that isn't you nor I.

You sound like the type who just makes a habit of telling anyone with a negative opinion how wrong they are.

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I don't see how a Star Trek game referencing Star Trek is a bad thing?!? :o
    Would you rather it was just some generic space shooter or flight simulation game?
    The episodes and films are the only true source material and the game needs them to act as a source for its environment, missions, actors, ships, events etc. To ignore them would be utterly ridiculous.
    And as has been mentioned maybe an offhand comment in a featured episode gets a new player to look it up in the show and soon they become a bigger Trek fan and get more involved in the game and the IP. So it's a win for the show as well.
    SulMatuul.png