test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time and Tide

Comments

• timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    velqua wrote: »
    Quark Enterprises is proud to present the newest product in Temporal Entertainment!

Crank_Prank_Time_Phone.jpg

Now, you too can enjoy the benefits of temporal mechanics in the privacy of your own quarters!

stborder.gif

Talk to the famous Jean-Luc Picard as he prepares for important missions aboard the Enterprise-D

picard-ready-room.jpg

Remind Katherine Janeway how far Voyager is from the Alpha Quadrant

tumblr_noplc9fAPP1u6a04bo1_1280.jpg

Inform Jonathan Archer that he stills has a few more leaps to go before he can get home

640px-Archer_and_Daniels_in_the_Temporal_Observatory_%28ENT_Cold_Front%29.jpg

And best of all...

You can say those two little words that Captain James T. Kirk enjoys hearing while commanding the Enterprise

DennyCrane.png

So order your Crank Prank Time Phone TODAY!

Operators Are Standing By

Crank Prank Time Phone is for entertainment purposes only.
    Making anything OTHER than crank calls to the past could affect the present and end your existence.
    Crank Prank Time Phone is not intended for the use by the Krenim, Na'kuhl, Tuterians, Dominion, Terran Empire, Sela, or any other non-Pro-Federation persons or groups.

funniest post i have seen for a while..... ;)
  • alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    sov42 wrote: »
    Can we just go to the future and murder all the temporal agents and be done with it? I know it's not the most "Starfleet" thing to do, but it would really let us get back to being explorers of the galaxy, instead of witless pawns of jerks from the future. Just sayin'...

As far as I see it, everything has already been done and changing it by going to the future and killing all the temporal agents can and will alter the timeline and some events will never happen. Cause and Effect, that sort of thing. For example, let's just say that some guy from the present traveled to the past and informed the crew of the Enterprise that the Borg Cube is going to go back in time and assimilate Earth. Thus they prevented and destroyed the borg sphere from traveling back in time and prevent Cochrane achieving warp travel. Enterprise E crew would have never met Cochrane and never told him of certain future events. That piece of history would have never existed and the events with it (Probably the First Contact with Vulcans might have altered as well ("Mirror Universe")). That that timeline would be the "prime timeline" Then somebody figures that out, goes and kills that person to prevent him from doing that in the first place.

Let me put this in another way so there's no confusion of what I meant to say. Lets just say you went to the future and killed all the Temporal Agents including Daniels. He would have never traveled back in time, made contact and informed Captain Archer about the Sphere Builders and their plan, thus changing history for the worst. Plus what about that Suliban benefactor who assisted the Cabal. As if we know who or where he is in the timeline... or even what he is.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • radonneradonne Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »
    Oh damn, another time travel mission. I can't imagine the better way how to make more story plot holes. I wish the krenims will develop any device, what prevents time traveling.

Funny story. I actually went back in time to help them build one. Sadly, I then turned it on. :-(

But seriously, reading this announcement is painful. On the one hand it's an idea with meat, and it does make for an excellent anniversary tribute. But I'm sorry, there's no way even the best writer can make an ongoing time travel plot work in an MMO. And given how bad the Temporal Cold War ties in the current arc have been (to say nothing of Butterfly), I just want the hurting to end.

-R
  • nikolunusnikolunus Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    I feel going right back to time travel is a bit weak for continuing the games story. We still have so much of the Gama and Delta quadrants to work through, plus if they wanted to give a whole new area to explore and new races to encounter we could cross the galactic barrier. Head into Andromida and look around there, a lot of potential for diplomancy, exploration or conflict.
    Space is vast, it's wonderful and maddening. Yet in that madness is some of the greatest beauty I have ever seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Can we just go to the future and murder all the temporal agents and be done with it? I know it's not the most "Starfleet" thing to do, but it would really let us get back to being explorers of the galaxy, instead of witless pawns of jerks from the future. Just sayin'...

As far as I see it, everything has already been done and changing it by going to the future and killing all the temporal agents can and will alter the timeline and some events will never happen. Cause and Effect, that sort of thing. For example, let's just say that some guy from the present traveled to the past and informed the crew of the Enterprise that the Borg Cube is going to go back in time and assimilate Earth. Thus they prevented and destroyed the borg sphere from traveling back in time and prevent Cochrane achieving warp travel. Enterprise E crew would have never met Cochrane and never told him of certain future events. That piece of history would have never existed and the events with it (Probably the First Contact with Vulcans might have altered as well ("Mirror Universe")). That that timeline would be the "prime timeline" Then somebody figures that out, goes and kills that person to prevent him from doing that in the first place.

Let me put this in another way so there's no confusion of what I meant to say. Lets just say you went to the future and killed all the Temporal Agents including Daniels. He would have never traveled back in time, made contact and informed Captain Archer about the Sphere Builders and their plan, thus changing history for the worst. Plus what about that Suliban benefactor who assisted the Cabal. As if we know who or where he is in the timeline... or even what he is.

zFqEfel.gif

:D
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    You mean to tell me it's Star Trek's 50th Anniversary and you couldn't be bothered to do a ship for each faction? Instead you stick us with a Krenim ship?

I hope you guys have something more appropriate planned for later in the year. I'm sure the ship and mission will probably be fine but they just don't fit the event as well as they could, especially the ship. There was that Odyssey tease a while back that hasn't paid off yet... There's plenty of 2016 left to do something big.
    jexsamx wrote: »
    You mean to tell me it's Star Trek's 50th Anniversary and you couldn't be bothered to do a ship for each faction? Instead you stick us with a Krenim ship?

I hope you guys have something more appropriate planned for later in the year. I'm sure the ship and mission will probably be fine but they just don't fit the event as well as they could, especially the ship. There was that Odyssey tease a while back that hasn't paid off yet... There's plenty of 2016 left to do something big.

Well, the 50th anniversary isn't until September, so there's plenty of time, pun not intended. I would love to see First Contact day celebrated in some way.
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User

Well, the 50th anniversary isn't until September, so there's plenty of time, pun not intended. I would love to see First Contact day celebrated in some way.

It probably will unless a big update doesn't allow them time to do one like what happened last year.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    What did we do to become the historic captain? I wonder , will we see if we died? Lol

Well, if he was referring to the hysterical captain, I'm who he's yakking about!!!

If he was referring to the historic captain, he's definitely talking about you guys.

I'm thinking the latter. ;)
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    And edit: Us being Starfleet captains might even be a violation of the timeline.

Darn Temporal Prime Directive! :rage:;)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    In other words, "Butterfly". Which brings us to the dawning realization (see what I did there?) that "Butterfly" had to happen to generate the right mindset for the Temporal Accords that lead to Daniels and Walker. And there's that pesky predestination again. Looked at in a different light, Walker or somebody would have interfered with using the Krenim weapon if it derailed their future. Since it was even probably necessary to their future, they didn't. So was it really pointless?

Yes, actually it was completely pointless, because anybody with even an ounce of common sense and in-universe historical knowledge ought to be able to look what always happens every single solitary time anybody time-travels, that being a complete and utter clusterf*ck that has to be fixed at great expense in time and lives, and would therefore react like these people:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEbwhWDYwM

But no, because somebody upstairs got a bug up his TRIBBLE that engaging in a Temporal Cold War was a brilliant idea where they could come out ahead in the end, they gleefully ignore the countless precedents saying don't f*cking touch it, and we're left picking up the pieces.

How's this for a change in the timestream: the races of this century, NOT the future and by God definitely not the past, all get together and say HELL NO to time travel. Boom, problem solved before it starts: no need for anybody to become a temporal agent because nobody's time-traveling and f*cking sh*t up. But that would require some actual competence on the part of the characters, and after seeing the TRIBBLE they pulled during the last story arc (Zapp Kagran deserves to be disemboweled for incompetence for the way he single-handedly lost the Iconian War), I think the chances of that happening are slim to none.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    So they got Archer in the next episode?
  • horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    What could go wrong, right?
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

I think you forgot that last year, they did a single cross-faction ship for the event and then 3 weeks later, a mega bundle containing 9 command battlecruisers, 3 for each faction, was released.

As for the ship and mission not fitting together, they actually do. The 2nd to last narrative blog we had, Suspicions, features one Krenim who work with Noye notice he is exhibiting some strange behavior, locking everyone but himself out of the Temporal Core (the remains of the Romulus restoration attempt in "Butterfly". They wouldn't tease this if they weren't going to it in a future story.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    nikolunus wrote: »
    I feel going right back to time travel is a bit weak for continuing the games story. We still have so much of the Gama and Delta quadrants to work through, plus if they wanted to give a whole new area to explore and new races to encounter we could cross the galactic barrier. Head into Andromida and look around there, a lot of potential for diplomancy, exploration or conflict.
    I just got this image in my mind of a sector map that wasn't space but a chart of known temporal anomalies for us to investigate. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Let's not delve into Star Trek V territory, m'kay. ;)

I kind of want to go in search of the Enterprise-E. Or maybe go to New Talax and fire some biogenic weapons into the atmosphere. Y'know, something fun. XD
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Well at least we're gonna travel to the FUTURE rather than the PAST. And Cryptic... please no more Space Sets, we got enough of those. How about a ground set, ex: Temporal Combat Armor, Temporal Personal Shield, Temporal Chroniton Beam Rifle.
    The Rifles we have...
    sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Time_in_a_Bottle
    ...but a whole set would be nice. :)

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    So time is now the new 'final frontier'?

Would that be the old (past) frontier, or wait, the future (to be) frontier, or the sideways (might be) frontier. Been there, done that, will do that, might have done, or could have maybe will do or done that....

I'm so confused. ? :s ?

It's way worse that time travel invalidates everything we do that's not time travel. It doesn't make sense. Someone always comes back through time now trying to change things. We go further back, changing it back (instead of vanishing or whatever) and then they go further back and so forth. Everything that happens in the "present" is pointless because it already happened and if something happens to TRIBBLE with events is some temporal guy coming back to save the day, we just "play our part".

I hate time travel plots, at least in the way STO plays it. The Krenim story in VOY was kind of clever, for one episode though, not a whole season. And no, I don't hate time travel because of "headaches" because it's so clever and twisted, it just doesn't make sense. And yes, I love doctor who. And even there it makes no sense 90% of the time.​​

I've decided to go rogue. I am going back to the big bang using my Korath, setting a new time line in motion, then jumping through the new time line and detonating all temporal agents. Long live the Empire!
    And thus the Time War began!

jorumgandr wrote: »
    And so the transition begins from Star Trek to Time Cop. I really hope this just going to be a little quick arc and then never mentioned again.
    ra,unisex_tshirt,x1000,red,front-c,235,200,225,294-bg,f8f8f8.u1.jpg:p

I kind of want to go in search of the Enterprise-E. Or maybe go to New Talax and fire some biogenic weapons into the atmosphere. Y'know, something fun. XD
    74.jpg;)

• mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    velqua wrote: »
    Quark Enterprises is proud to present the newest product in Temporal Entertainment!

Crank_Prank_Time_Phone.jpg

Now, you too can enjoy the benefits of temporal mechanics in the privacy of your own quarters!

stborder.gif

Talk to the famous Jean-Luc Picard as he prepares for important missions aboard the Enterprise-D

picard-ready-room.jpg

Remind Katherine Janeway how far Voyager is from the Alpha Quadrant

tumblr_noplc9fAPP1u6a04bo1_1280.jpg

Inform Jonathan Archer that he stills has a few more leaps to go before he can get home

640px-Archer_and_Daniels_in_the_Temporal_Observatory_%28ENT_Cold_Front%29.jpg

And best of all...

You can say those two little words that Captain James T. Kirk enjoys hearing while commanding the Enterprise

DennyCrane.png

So order your Crank Prank Time Phone TODAY!

Operators Are Standing By

Crank Prank Time Phone is for entertainment purposes only.
    Making anything OTHER than crank calls to the past could affect the present and end your existence.
    Crank Prank Time Phone is not intended for the use by the Krenim, Na'kuhl, Tuterians, Dominion, Terran Empire, Sela, or any other non-Pro-Federation persons or groups.

Heh that's the funniest post I've seen in quite a while. :smile: Well done!
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I think you forgot that last year, they did a single cross-faction ship for the event and then 3 weeks later, a mega bundle containing 9 command battlecruisers, 3 for each faction, was released.

As for the ship and mission not fitting together, they actually do. The 2nd to last narrative blog we had, Suspicions, features one Krenim who work with Noye notice he is exhibiting some strange behavior, locking everyone but himself out of the Temporal Core (the remains of the Romulus restoration attempt in "Butterfly". They wouldn't tease this if they weren't going to it in a future story.
    1. I'm not talking about C-Store bundles, I'm talking about free grind ships.
    2. I never said anything about the ship not matching the mission. I was talking about the ship not fitting the 50th Anniversary. It's like giving us Halloween candy for Thanksgiving dinner. The candy's great, but it's not really an appropriate meal for the occasion, and certainly not as satisfying.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited January 2016

I think you've got the wrong galactic barrier, Sov. :)

By referencing Andromeda, Nikolunus was clearly referring to the barrier at the edge of the galaxy, so it's Where No Man Has Gone Before territory or By Any Other Name territory, not Star Trek V's center-of-the-galaxy-around-fake-God barrier (which would be silly, and not head toward Andromeda, either).
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    It's way worse that time travel invalidates everything we do that's not time travel. It doesn't make sense. Someone always comes back through time now trying to change things. We go further back, changing it back (instead of vanishing or whatever) and then they go further back and so forth. Everything that happens in the "present" is pointless because it already happened and if something happens to TRIBBLE with events is some temporal guy coming back to save the day, we just "play our part".​​
    I'm not sure anyone else ever really summed it up so well and in so few pages as David Gerrold's "The Man Who Folded Himself".

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited January 2016

1. I'm not talking about C-Store bundles, I'm talking about free grind ships.
    2. I never said anything about the ship not matching the mission. I was talking about the ship not fitting the 50th Anniversary. It's like giving us Halloween candy for Thanksgiving dinner. The candy's great, but it's not really an appropriate meal for the occasion, and certainly not as satisfying.

I hope you realize that we'll probably have something special for the 50th Anniversary which is September 8th (the day Star Trek The Original Series first premiered). The Krenim Science Vessel is specifically being released as the 6th Anniversary ship.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    vorwoda wrote: »

I think you've got the wrong galactic barrier, Sov. :)

By referencing Andromeda, Nikolunus was clearly referring to the barrier at the edge of the galaxy, so it's Where No Man Has Gone Before territory or By Any Other Name territory, not Star Trek V's center-of-the-galaxy-around-fake-God barrier (which would be silly, and not head toward Andromeda, either).

lol, well, glad we cleared that up. :D
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    So time is now the new 'final frontier'?

Would that be the old (past) frontier, or wait, the future (to be) frontier, or the sideways (might be) frontier. Been there, done that, will do that, might have done, or could have maybe will do or done that....

I'm so confused. ? :s ?

It's way worse that time travel invalidates everything we do that's not time travel. It doesn't make sense. Someone always comes back through time now trying to change things. We go further back, changing it back (instead of vanishing or whatever) and then they go further back and so forth. Everything that happens in the "present" is pointless because it already happened and if something happens to TRIBBLE with events is some temporal guy coming back to save the day, we just "play our part".

I hate time travel plots, at least in the way STO plays it. The Krenim story in VOY was kind of clever, for one episode though, not a whole season. And no, I don't hate time travel because of "headaches" because it's so clever and twisted, it just doesn't make sense. And yes, I love doctor who. And even there it makes no sense 90% of the time.​​

You've just managed to state my feelings on the matter better than I managed to, bravo.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    lestral wrote: »
    All you hillbilly and rednecks be careful now, ya hear! Ya don't want to end up your own grandpa doing the temporal agent thingie! :smiley: It could lead to all sorts of temporal paradox like having to wish your "Daughter-Mom" or your "Grandson-Brother" a happy birthday. :wink:

redneck.jpg

The one thing which made me laugh in this whole thread so far.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I was going over the "teaser screenshots" from the new episode on twitter when sometehing caught my eye.

For peeps who want all the eye candy to be fresh and new when they launch the mission the first time, I'm adding this little spoiler tag here :3
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZgzG3kVIAA5bwr.jpg:large
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZgunOGUkAAHb4T.jpg:large

The floor (and maybe the walls too) -- is that... Solanae architecture there? Are those just recycled textures and models or a hint at some level of Iconian involvement?

Considering they've gone into isolation in that sphere at the end of Midnight, maybe they are represented by their servitors and the Accords are signed on a Solanae base at a neutral location?
    Post edited by kelettes on
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    While I can see a definite influence, I'd say it's a mixing of styles.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg