test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time and Tide

24567

Comments

  • sov42sov42 Member Posts: 1,250 Arc User
    christopher-lloyd-wants-to-make-a-back-to-the-future-4-image-2.gif

    :p
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    Appreciate the effort going into these new missions and the artwork is truly terrific. With that said, my Captains do not want to be temporal agents. They just want to be Captains exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations and boldly going where no one has gone before.

    You know, doing "Star Trek" stuff. More and more this game is becoming "Dr. Who" online IMO.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Predestination, all over again.... in the new story arc you gonna be your own father, mother, mentor, love and nemesis. LOL
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

    Could be. Daniels did say that history never recorded the war between Earth and the Xindi. Though if that war and the attack on Earth are a result of us changing history during Butterfly, then the effects of Butterfly hadn't reached him yet for some reason.

    Meaning that because we are changing the timeline, we are the cause for the Enterprise NX 01's mission and eventually for the birth of the Federation. It might well be that the Sphere Builders are actually nothing more than a victim of changes we made, and which turned out pretty well for us.

    Which makes you wonder, how can the timeline be monitored when those who monitor it are affected by the changes in that same timeline as well? Daniels himself and his role as a time agent might well be the direct result of our actions during Butterfly. And edit: Us being Starfleet captains might even be a violation of the timeline.

    Then again, if Trek is accepting a Multiverse "Many Worlds" cosmology, there's no such problem. And since the Mirror Universe is basically an offspring of that cosmology, it appears Trek does so. So, Daniels going back and changing something doesn't actually change anything in his universe. It just branches events into a new universe within the M-verse. Who knows why only one of the M-verse universes has ever managed to breach into ours, though.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg


  • christopher0184christopher0184 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Predestination, all over again.... in the new story arc you gonna be your own father, mother, mentor, love and nemesis. LOL


    Whoa...that's kinky.
    Strike%2C_S.Rouge%2C_Freedom.png
    Primary ship: U.S.S. Lacus Clyne, Dyson Science Destroyer/U.S.S. Fausticorn, Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Explorer
    Secondary ship: U.S.S. Rainbow Dash, Odyssey Tactical Cruiser/I.S.S. Princess Cadance, Mirror Assault Cruiser
    Tertiary ship: I.S.S. Freedom Gundam, Mirror Deep Space Science Vessel
    My YouTube Channel
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 814 Arc User
    Oh damn, another time travel mission. I can't imagine the better way how to make more story plot holes. I wish the krenims will develop any device, what prevents time traveling.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,951 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »
    Oh damn, another time travel mission. I can't imagine the better way how to make more story plot holes. I wish the krenims will develop any device, what prevents time traveling.

    Yes please!
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

    Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,304 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I'm confused. I thought that the temporal accords were signed in the 25th century. Not in another time with a crew from the 25th century merely in attendance.

    Please tell me I'm wrong.

    Was it ever stated when it was signed? Memory Alpha says that the Temporal Accords were in place by the 28th century.

    TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I'm confused. I thought that the temporal accords were signed in the 25th century. Not in another time with a crew from the 25th century merely in attendance.

    Please tell me I'm wrong.

    Was it ever stated when it was signed? Memory Alpha says that the Temporal Accords were in place by the 28th century.

    Most likely not.

    Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 814 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    tmassx wrote: »
    Oh damn, another time travel mission. I can't imagine the better way how to make more story plot holes. I wish the krenims will develop any device, what prevents time traveling.

    Yes please!

    Stop the madness there is still time !
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I'm confused. I thought that the temporal accords were signed in the 25th century. Not in another time with a crew from the 25th century merely in attendance.

    Please tell me I'm wrong.

    Was it ever stated when it was signed? Memory Alpha says that the Temporal Accords were in place by the 28th century.

    You fool , I can travel through time and sign the deal when I want ! :D
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,218 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »
    You're wrong. The Temporal Accords were in effect by 2769.
    Okay then, my bad.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,623 Arc User

    Was it ever stated when it was signed? Memory Alpha says that the Temporal Accords were in place by the 28th century.

    Keyword: "by"
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Last missions:
    Evolution's Smile [SSF:3-3]
    Epoch, Part 2 [AEI]
    Transcendence, Part 4
    Memorial Tour

    For the latest Tardigrades and other creative output: @Gorgonops_SSF
    Looking for something new to play? The interactive Foundry Mission Database has you covered.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Appreciate the effort going into these new missions and the artwork is truly terrific. With that said, my Captains do not want to be temporal agents. They just want to be Captains exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations and boldly going where no one has gone before.

    You know, doing "Star Trek" stuff. More and more this game is becoming "Dr. Who" online IMO.

    Quoted for truth! Bring back the old exploration clusters or do something like them. Random new worlds for us to explore. I liked those MUCH better than the repetitive, grindy battlezones and patrol missions that replaced them.

    Like Valoreah, I appreciate the effort and hard work going into this, I just feel that it's just massively misdirected, IMHO. I'm still waiting for the "exploration" promised in Season 11, and I sincerely hope it's not all time travel.
    dareau wrote: »
    Finally, what are the chances of me flying an "endgame strength" Connie/D7/T'Varo during those... instigations... that take place in the 23rd Century?

    If we have to have ongoing temporal shenanigans, those would at least make it a less bitter pill to swallow. But I think you meant T'Liss, not T'Varo. There IS an endgame T'Varo already - both a T6 (Malem) and a T6 Fleet version.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,481 Arc User
    I sound like a broken record. Don't forget the recent Blog about some of the Krenim wanting to restore their former glory. Note especially the hints in there about Noyes with secretive projects. Could that be altering the timeline to restore his beloved Clauda and her people? Could he have had some Temporal Shielding that helped him retain hints of her and as he remembers more he is getting more aggressive and secretive about what he is doing/working on?

    Stay tuned next week. Same Trek time, same Trek Channel.

    And obviously we will be this greatest Captain of the 25th Century because we will need to stop him and because of that and aftermaths the Temporal Accords are signed and we will witness it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    So I'm going to be a temporal agent. Sounds fun. Guess I could willingly help out. And as for time travel mission, feeling something might go wrong.
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    I sound like a broken record. Don't forget the recent Blog about some of the Krenim wanting to restore their former glory. Note especially the hints in there about Noyes with secretive projects. Could that be altering the timeline to restore his beloved Clauda and her people? Could he have had some Temporal Shielding that helped him retain hints of her and as he remembers more he is getting more aggressive and secretive about what he is doing/working on?

    Stay tuned next week. Same Trek time, same Trek Channel.

    And obviously we will be this greatest Captain of the 25th Century because we will need to stop him and because of that and aftermaths the Temporal Accords are signed and we will witness it.

    the Datacore of the Timeship had temporal shielding which protected it's data and therefore Noye who was in charge of the core read that he had a wife.

  • alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Well at least we're gonna travel to the FUTURE rather than the PAST. And Cryptic... please no more Space Sets, we got enough of those. How about a ground set, ex: Temporal Combat Armor, Temporal Personal Shield, Temporal Chroniton Beam Rifle.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png


    "Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

    Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

    Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,597 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    And obviously we will be this greatest Captain of the 25th Century because we will need to stop him and because of that and aftermaths the Temporal Accords are signed and we will witness it.

    But, but, we're...admirals. Because according to STO being admirals is way cooler than being captains. So it can't be us. ;)
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    And obviously we will be this greatest Captain of the 25th Century because we will need to stop him and because of that and aftermaths the Temporal Accords are signed and we will witness it.

    But, but, we're...admirals. Because according to STO being admirals is way cooler than being captains. So it can't be us. ;)

    It might well be that this greatest captain turns out to be Kim. Or Data. Picard. Sisko. Jay Yim. Vo'lok. Or some captain that still isn't even in the game yet. 'Our' century is only 10 years old after all :)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'm betting on Shon. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    So time is now the new 'final frontier'?

    Would that be the old (past) frontier, or wait, the future (to be) frontier, or the sideways (might be) frontier. Been there, done that, will do that, might have done, or could have maybe will do or done that....

    I'm so confused. ? :s ?

    It's way worse that time travel invalidates everything we do that's not time travel. It doesn't make sense. Someone always comes back through time now trying to change things. We go further back, changing it back (instead of vanishing or whatever) and then they go further back and so forth. Everything that happens in the "present" is pointless because it already happened and if something happens to TRIBBLE with events is some temporal guy coming back to save the day, we just "play our part".

    I hate time travel plots, at least in the way STO plays it. The Krenim story in VOY was kind of clever, for one episode though, not a whole season. And no, I don't hate time travel because of "headaches" because it's so clever and twisted, it just doesn't make sense. And yes, I love doctor who. And even there it makes no sense 90% of the time.​​

    I've decided to go rogue. I am going back to the big bang using my Korath, setting a new time line in motion, then jumping through the new time line and detonating all temporal agents. Long live the Empire!

    Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

    Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    rangerryu wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    I sound like a broken record. Don't forget the recent Blog about some of the Krenim wanting to restore their former glory. Note especially the hints in there about Noyes with secretive projects. Could that be altering the timeline to restore his beloved Clauda and her people? Could he have had some Temporal Shielding that helped him retain hints of her and as he remembers more he is getting more aggressive and secretive about what he is doing/working on?

    Stay tuned next week. Same Trek time, same Trek Channel.

    And obviously we will be this greatest Captain of the 25th Century because we will need to stop him and because of that and aftermaths the Temporal Accords are signed and we will witness it.

    the Datacore of the Timeship had temporal shielding which protected it's data and therefore Noye who was in charge of the core read that he had a wife.

    I really hope this mission isn't about Noye. It would be shades of Annorax all over again, obsessively mucking around with the timestream trying to get his wife back.

    However, it's been foreshadowed already so unless it's just a red herring Noye will probably turn up sooner or later doing just that.

    I want to see some of the other temporal factions putting in appearances to try to wreck the Temporal Accords, though. At least one of my characters would love to be recruited as a temporal agent. And unlike some here, I don't mind time travel stories if they're done really well. I still consider Christopher L. Bennett to be the master of pulling together various Star Trek time travel plots and making them fit together logically (See his "Department of Temporal Investigations" books featuring Lucsly and Dulmur).

    Having just replayed "Butterfly" I readily admit to its weaknesses. And yes, the proliferation of things that simply don't make sense. They're a game developer. I don't expect them to create time travel masterpieces like Bennett's or to take the sane route and hire someone who does -- though if they keep making time travel missions they might want to consider it. The point being that the Krenim weapon ended up being too dangerous to use the way Annorax tried to use it because of the ripple effect, we got burned and altered the timeline in unexpected ways as a result of that, and so we tried changing time a different way and ended up caught in a predestination loop and turned out to be the Iconians' Other. The details don't all make sense, but the overall plot kinda does. Pretty much like the rest of the Star Trek time travel plots, really.

    Best of all, I enjoy seeing all of these loose threads from the shows and movies getting revisited and fleshed out a little bit. But I do empathize with people who don't want STO to be all about time travel. I don't, either.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It's way worse that time travel invalidates everything we do that's not time travel. It doesn't make sense. Someone always comes back through time now trying to change things. We go further back, changing it back (instead of vanishing or whatever) and then they go further back and so forth. Everything that happens in the "present" is pointless because it already happened and if something happens to TRIBBLE with events is some temporal guy coming back to save the day, we just "play our part".
    ​​

    I get what you're saying. Unrestricted time travel taken to its logical extreme results in an infinite regression of people trying to change history for their own agendas and it doesn't ever stop unless someone changes history to the point where time travel technology is lost for good. But good time travel storytellers recognize that nothing truly and fully "unhappens" and the chain of causality is still important.

    In a way, every time travel story is basically "Back To The Future" I, II, and III.

    Most time travel storylines also suggest some way of limiting it. Such as the Temporal Accords and whatever technology that's used to enforce them. Or running over the DeLorean with a train (that didn't last long, did it?). Or, more importantly, the realization that temporal manipulation is risky and there's no guarantee you're going to get the result you wanted because the timestream's a harsh and fickle TRIBBLE.

    In other words, "Butterfly". Which brings us to the dawning realization (see what I did there?) that "Butterfly" had to happen to generate the right mindset for the Temporal Accords that lead to Daniels and Walker. And there's that pesky predestination again. Looked at in a different light, Walker or somebody would have interfered with using the Krenim weapon if it derailed their future. Since it was even probably necessary to their future, they didn't. So was it really pointless?
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • jorumgandrjorumgandr Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    And so the transition begins from Star Trek to Time Cop. I really hope this just going to be a little quick arc and then never mentioned again.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    As a Na'kuhl once said, we're all traveling through time. It's simply a matter of changing the destination. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sov42sov42 Member Posts: 1,250 Arc User
    Can we just go to the future and murder all the temporal agents and be done with it? I know it's not the most "Starfleet" thing to do, but it would really let us get back to being explorers of the galaxy, instead of witless pawns of jerks from the future. Just sayin'...
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    jorumgandr wrote: »
    And so the transition begins from Star Trek to Time Cop. I really hope this just going to be a little quick arc and then never mentioned again.

    If it makes you feel any better, except for "Enterprise" and the Temporal Cold War almost every Star Trek time travel plot was a quick little arc and then never mentioned again.

    But given what we know... that "Butterfly" altered the timeline, that the Terran Empire in the MU got hold of some advanced tech in their own war against the Iconians that they're using to facilitate their invasion of this universe, I'd guess we'd better assume that the next big bad has something to do with time travel and/or alternate universes until we see otherwise. There are still lots of other time travel plots STO hasn't revisited yet.

    There are still some other loose ends to think about, though. Like, it was never stated that the Iconians were definitely behind the return of the Fek'Ihri... if not them, then who? Sela's still on the loose... what's she up to with her RSE remnant? What are the Tal-Shiar up to now that the Iconians aren't backing them up anymore? The Dominion has to be aware that the Alpha and Beta Quadrants are now considerably weakened... are they going to let that go? Oh, and we can't ever forget about the Borg, can we? Now they have definitive evidence that the Iconians are still around and they'll certainly want to try to assimilate that technology if they can. I occasionally see someone reminding us that the Nexus will return at some point, which is just as much a given as all of the temporal stuff happening. Shall I go on?
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,725 Arc User
    As for the Anniversary ship, will it be like it's been since this past Risa? Will we only have to grind it on one toon to unlock it for all toons?
    Now a LTS and loving it.

    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

    xp8s7wd.jpg
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,215 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Quark Enterprises is proud to present the newest product in Temporal Entertainment!

    Crank_Prank_Time_Phone.jpg

    Now, you too can enjoy the benefits of temporal mechanics in the privacy of your own quarters!

    stborder.gif

    Talk to the famous Jean-Luc Picard as he prepares for important missions aboard the Enterprise-D

    picard-ready-room.jpg

    Remind Katherine Janeway how far Voyager is from the Alpha Quadrant

    tumblr_noplc9fAPP1u6a04bo1_1280.jpg

    Inform Jonathan Archer that he stills has a few more leaps to go before he can get home

    640px-Archer_and_Daniels_in_the_Temporal_Observatory_%28ENT_Cold_Front%29.jpg



    And best of all...



    You can say those two little words that Captain James T. Kirk enjoys hearing while commanding the Enterprise

    DennyCrane.png


    So order your Crank Prank Time Phone TODAY!

    Operators Are Standing By



    Crank Prank Time Phone is for entertainment purposes only.
    Making anything OTHER than crank calls to the past could affect the present and end your existence.
    Crank Prank Time Phone is not intended for the use by the Krenim, Na'kuhl, Tuterians, Dominion, Terran Empire, Sela, or any other non-Pro-Federation persons or groups.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    Can we just go to the future and murder all the temporal agents and be done with it? I know it's not the most "Starfleet" thing to do, but it would really let us get back to being explorers of the galaxy, instead of witless pawns of jerks from the future. Just sayin'...
    Well... you'd have to start by killing the Na'kuhl temporal agents....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.