test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Invitation Madness

murkalael#7691 murkalael Member Posts: 184 Arc User
First I thought STO had a big lack of affection, on my first avatar I received a rain of friendship invitation, even whoever did, never even bother to talk to me first. Then I entered a fleet and invitations stopped. Then I created my second avatar, and invitations started again on this new one. Sometimes even when you are in a solo instance, you see no one nearby and in middle of battle, poups up the invitation, some are even persistent and I need to put on ignore list. So what's wrong with these people?
IInLzhi.gif

Comments

• rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Half the time they're spambots trying to get you to buy EC with real money.....received a lot of them a couple weeks back.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    ^ What @rangerryu said.

If you press O you'll be able to change your privacy settings. This will allow you to disable random friend invites.

If you don't want to change your settings (which is understandable as you may come across people who are worth adding to your friend list) then you'll just have to keep ignoring them. Even that won't block the friend invites though I think, but at least you won't have to see their annoying (and even illegal) offers.

Edit: pressed the enter key :)
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    rangerryu wrote: »
    Half the time they're spambots trying to get you to buy EC with real money.....received a lot of them a couple weeks back.

This is definitely the most common of them, especially the ones that pop up while you're in the middle of a mission. I've even had it happen on new characters when they're in the middle of the Tutorial missions. :#

Usually, I will automatically select the "Ignore" option in the invite window, then I'll right-click on their name in the chat window and either select "Ignore Player" or the "Report Spam" options. That usually slows the problem down for awhile.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User

This is definitely the most common of them, especially the ones that pop up while you're in the middle of a mission. I've even had it happen on new characters when they're in the middle of the Tutorial missions. :#

Usually, I will automatically select the "Ignore" option in the invite window, then I'll right-click on their name in the chat window and either select "Ignore Player" or the "Report Spam" options. That usually slows the problem down for awhile.

Well I received a fair amount one day while I was in the foundry editor of all things playtesting a map,I don't know if you found this but they send you a friend invite and send you a tell (P.S Boys from the Dwarf!)

• unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User

Well I received a fair amount one day while I was in the foundry editor of all things playtesting a map,I don't know if you found this but they send you a friend invite and send you a tell (P.S Boys from the Dwarf!)

What I usually get from what I'm certain are bots is an automatic sequence of friend invite, some sort of EC for $$$ ad, then an immediate removed from friends list post in the chat window. Those especially are the ones I tend to automatically hit the Report Spam button on.

I haven't been involved with anything involving foundry creation, but I recently got a bot friend invite spam when I was at my fleet's starbase. The timing was such that it may have actually hit me just as I was changing maps from Sector Space, but it was just as annoying.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • murkalael#7691 murkalael Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    There's also a periodic mail. I don't recall the name, but some offer of same sort of what you guys are describing.
    IInLzhi.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    the mail spam bots apparently get banned faster than the pm ones.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg