test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

wrong weapons?

tinoargnettinoargnet Member Posts: 8 Arc User
I'm flying an assault cruiser loaded with photon torpedoes. My tactical off's all have beam abilities. Do I have the wrong weapons or the wrong boffs?

Best Answers

• Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    well..........all torpedoes? or torps and beams? All boffs can be trained in multiple skills and then selected via stations tab. visit a trainer on ESD, Qo'nos, or New Romulus depending on your faction. Note that some skills are only attainable by random Boffs , by R&D, or lock boxes.

I would also like to note that an assault cruiser is best, IMO, with all beams and no torps. But whatever you have fun with is the right choice.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2016 Answer ✓
    Oops, double post.

Answers

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Umm, both B)

The BOFF abilities you slot need to support the weapons and build playstyle you're aiming for. For example, slotting beam abilities because you have beams equipped works. Slotting beam abilities when you have no beams equipped does absolutely nothing for you and is a wasted slot.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    So, should I ditch the assault cruiser or ditch the boff's?
    They don't seem compatible.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    You can train your Tac Boffs to know every Tac power there is. Unlike how it was in the first 4? yrs of STO. Just hit the trainer. For Mk III abilities you have to find other Boffs to make manuals or hit the Exchange to buy them or your own Captains can make the manuals if you've spec'd the 6 or 9 points into the needed skill. But since you are driving a Assault Cruiser you cannot use any powers that aren't readily available at the trainer. (Excepting some of the lockbox/event powers that go for $$$$$ on the Exchange.)

I'd suggest getting a Very Rare boff with some space battle affecting powers, efficiency for example, and just train it up with everything. There is no real need to have half a dozen boffs just to have access to all powers like it was before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for all torps... usually not a good idea, they share a cooldown. So at most 2 is all you really can use; unless the torp type has a really long cooldown of their own. The game does not allow for firing all 4 at one time. There are some duty officers that CAN make the cooldown shorter if that ability procs, but it's not assured.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep the Assault Cruiser. It'd cost you alot of Dilthium to get it back later if you decide you want to fly it again in the future at some point. Just let it sit in space-dock as a extra place to keep weapons/equipment or dry-dock if you run out of space-dock. Only ships you can really Discharge and get back at no cost are C-store and Event Ships. Everything else, just store away if you got the space.
  • Options
    dracounguis, yeah great info. Thanks!
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Which layout would do more damage, 4 beams with 4 torpedoes or 6 beams with 2 torpedoes or all beams? This is full power to weapons or balanced power and no boffs used.
  • Options
    glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Due to it's pisspoor turn rate an assault cruiser needs to be beam heavy. It is a broadside monster.

When not using a set, I would recommend a transphasic torpedo up front and some mines at the back.

Choose one type of beam and support it with consoles. You may want an RCS as well.