test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suspicions

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
When the door chimed, Supervisor Traala looked up from her paperwork and said, “Enter.” Orndal, her lone security officer, entered her office. She stifled her annoyance at the interruption, but could not quite contain her irritation at Orndal’s manner. He was always a bit too enthusiastic about his job, making problems out of nothing.

Read our latest piece by Jaddua Ross

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    More krynimm and more temporal shenanigans. Those time-travel angles always invalidate the "big picture" in my opinion. Since everyone and their grandma's dog in the STO universe can now time travel at will, nothing we do in the game seems to have any meaning because you simply can always go further back and prevent this and undo that.

So far, I don't like where this "new dawn" if going. But we'll see how it turns out. I just hope we don't enter this season of new beginnings and exploration just to re-heat old plotlines again already done on the shows. A new dawn should in my opinion really be... new.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    More krynimm and more temporal shenanigans. Those time-travel angles always invalidate the "big picture" in my opinion. Since everyone and their grandma's dog in the STO universe can now time travel at will, nothing we do in the game seems to have any meaning because you simply can always go further back and prevent this and undo that.

So far, I don't like where this "new dawn" if going. But we'll see how it turns out. I just hope we don't enter this season of new beginnings and exploration just to re-heat old plotlines again already done on the shows. A new dawn should in my opinion really be... new.​​

Well it does fit in with the temporal cold war. Let's wait and see if this is a standalone story or is leading up to the next featured episode.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    I hope I'm not the only one that first read her name as "Tralala".
  • tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    Meh, thought new episode got announced but got this instead. Didn't start playing this to read novels. If your writers have this much free time maybe they should think of better plots for missions and story arcs instead of every mission being go there shoot that, done (well my Klingon likes it but my Fed is fed up).
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    So another time manipulation story. What can we bet that the bad guy will go even further back to the creation of the Iconian where they will make them capable of time travel. Or pour bleach in that pool of developing aminoacids. Or...whatever. just stop, for the love of all that is holy, with time travel. Please. Stop. Enough. Create a story worth doing with a lasting plot.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • cbiz1983cbiz1983 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Some people are just full of TRIBBLE and vinegar. Sounds great @pwlaughingtrendy. Super excited to see where things lead now (Also a little scared for Tralalalalala).
    45bEibx.jpg
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    So another time manipulation story. What can we bet that the bad guy will go even further back to the creation of the Iconian where they will make them capable of time travel. Or pour bleach in that pool of developing aminoacids. Or...whatever. just stop, for the love of all that is holy, with time travel. Please. Stop. Enough. Create a story worth doing with a lasting plot.
    Edited with less sarcasm
    Hearing your review of our story line that hasn't come out and that you know absolutely nothing about? Yeebus.

I remember when everyone lost their minds at Midnight and you haven't even seen the newest episode yet. Be patient.
    edited January 2016
    questerius wrote: »
    Well it does fit in with the temporal cold war. Let's wait and see if this is a standalone story or is leading up to the next featured episode.

Sure it does, but the "temporal cold war" is just a piece re-heated from ENT (and - opinion - a terrible one at that). Under "New Dawn" and exploration I'd like to understand more than just name dropping of an old plotline to get the show connection again.

EDIT: For example, I'd love to see the Deferi made a major player. It is the only truly original piece STO has and they were abandoned. A good Star Trek experience is, in my opinion, not achieved by forcefully mentioning and using plots that appeared in the show. Games have the luxury of being able to introduce new stories and things and when they try to fit it in with established canon this is a very welcome thing (many people might accuse me of hating everything not canon - that's not true, at all.)​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Granted, I'd personally rather see some actual rebuilding & more hopeful stuff myself (yeeep, still sadface at lack of Cooperative Reputation!) ... but gonna wait for what comes out of it.
    Onto the topic at hand - That Noye guy is defo gonna be troubles. I keep saying it - Don't go messing up with the timeline. Do they listen? Nooope? :p
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• laghartolagharto Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Maybe it's in some way related to Noye's "erased" wife (she downloaded her personal files inside the datacore too).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Can't say I'm impressed, either. The temporal cold war the worst plot Enterprise had and I'd really rather not see a re-hash of its content here.

Can anyone remember when we were explorers?
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Reading this and my thoughts on the current storylines as I've seen...we should of seen this coming when the Krenim got introduced. We know Starfleet starts to develop Temporal Technology at some point in it's existence.

Now, was the Temporal Cold War arc of Enterprise weak? Yes. I won't even argue this. Part of it's problem was how little and how disjointed the arc itself was over three seasons of going nowhere. We were left with questions and plot holes big enough to fly a Dyson Sphere through.

I think though that what most of you forget is how good STO is at trying to fix and patch these plot holes to form a story. They may end up giving us answers to such questions as these.

1. Who was the mysterious man in Enterprise giving the Suliban Cabal their marching orders?
    2. Why are the Tholians even involved?
    3. Do we now have an origin story for the Spherebuilders? (See back in the Iconian War for what I am referring to.)
    4. What were the other factions? (This was hinted at in Enterprise.)
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I hope I'm not the only one that first read her name as "Tralala".

Nope. It broke immersion a bit, too.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I'm a bit surprised that most people here seem to fear we won't get an original story. Just because references to the series are made, doesn't mean we won't be seeing something new.

IMO, the only content in the game that is not very original is the Undine story as it's almost an exact copy of the Founder story from DS9 when we look at the most important points.

Besides, it'll be nice to see who exactly the sphere builders are (which I think we'll be seeing at some point in the future), what will happen to them and if the temporal accords that probably will play a big role in the nearby future will mean that the Klingons and possibly the Republic become part of (a successor state of) the Federation. Plenty of things that can follow from this storyline that we haven't seen yet, that only have been vaguely hinted at in the series.

I also hope we'll be seeing some new rebuilding efforts soon btw.
  • megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Man, all this time traveling stuff is giving my admiral a headache and somehow I think the Krenim are idiots when it comes to time travel since all they care about is themselves and never learn to adapt to whatever comes up.

And I get the feeling we are going time travel more.

And Noye, somehow I won't mind blasting his head off if it means protecting the timeline. I get the feeling he might be the next big threat.

Edit: Somehow, I don't know but, what if the Krenim are by chance the sphere builders and going through time messed them up in some way. Would be a twist since it is just a theory.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Great, krenim nutjob futzing around with time travel tech. Surely no reason to worry..... :s
  • forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Personally speaking, the team seems to like to fill in holes that are still out there. The Temporal Cold War is a huge one and so far, they've done a pretty good job trying to fill it up. I'm betting that while we're getting to these different new planets, we'll also will be trying to save everyone involved like we did not that long ago. Maybe even need to travel to these specific world's pasts to correct something that shouldn't've happened.

Our character is probably going to become the originator of the Temporal Prime Directive when this is all said and done.

Also, STO crew, please let Noye become our foil. I really want someone to be it. We've done this for 10 or 11 seasons now and I don't feel like I've gotten a real "rival" per se. If we're doing this Temporal thing, please let him be it.
    megawolf0 wrote: »
    (...)
    And Noye, somehow I won't mind blasting his head off if it means protecting the timeline. I get the feeling he might be the next big threat.

(...)

I don't think so, as Noye becoming the new vilian of the week, possibly because he found out he erased his wife, would literally be Annorax's story all over again. I don' think we see such a blatant rehash of events pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    lagharto wrote: »
    Maybe it's in some way related to Noye's "erased" wife (she downloaded her personal files inside the datacore too).

That was my thought. I also think we'll see the creation of the Sphere Builder faction from this.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't think so, as Noye becoming the new vilian of the week, possibly because he found out he erased his wife, would literally be Annorax's story all over again. I don' think we see such a blatant rehash of events pig-3.gif​​

Well he could pull a Sela and blame the Federation maybe and not care he was a part of it.
  • forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Again, I think this could lead to him being our rival and blaming us, specifically the player character for the loss of his wife.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    A disgruntled temporal scientist...
    Nothing about that sentence bodes well for us.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    galatt wrote: »
    A disgruntled temporal scientist...
    Nothing about that sentence bodes well for us.
    1) It's not a sentence.
    2) The A seems harmless enough.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    The nice thing about qs and temporal time travel, is you can fix just about anything, remember the original original earth space dock lol. Sounding like a broken record but Romulus and Romulan something Republic or Empire stand alone. Who knows....

As for Enterprise the show was not too bad, the biggest problem with Enterprise, was how it mixed up the timelines. Things like forcefields from back then, D7 Klingon battlecruisers, T'varo light warbirds but with a modern look, and lastly they never got to finish the show. It was clear by the last few episodes that it had turned into a rush job. The Temporal shows were not too bad.
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    although i do enjoy reading these i am also rather sick of temporal related story arcs and missions and " go there and obliterate everything"
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    “Well, he has become increasingly irritable, to the point of hostility.”

“Yes, I’ve noticed he’s been a bit more touchy lately. But that’s hardly a major threat.”

“Well, it’s been more than touchiness. He has yelled at colleagues and even threatened one with violence.”

Traala then started to get concerned. This was not like the Noye she knew at all.

I'm going to place a marker on ... Temporal Psychosis ... and that our Security Officer is actually on to something (but doesn't know what).
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    *Facepalms*
    I don't have a problem with the Krenim and since I love studying history, Time Travel and Temporal Alteration aren't a problem for me...

I just don't want to see such a direct rip-off of VOY: "Year of Hell"; Krenim scientist who lost his wife due to a side-effect of a Temporal Weapon firing, it's like Noye is being set-up to become 'Annorax the Second' and the only question is who he'll blame more - Iconians for causing the Iconian War, Milky War Alliance/Iconian Resistance for being involved in the Temporal Weapon's creation or the Borg themselves for assimilating the Tutarians (Clauda included).
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    Say, can we have this added in-game as a 'Personal Log' to the repository of knowledge at Memory Alpha?
    arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1208604/time-to-re-open-memory-alpha-as-a-true-repository-of-knowledge
    Thanks! :)
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Sorry, thought they said "hydrospanner."

Carry on.