test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bridge crew

dreadzyndreadzyn Member Posts: 22 Arc User
edited January 2016 in The Academy
Sorry if this is a bit long as I try to ask this question.

My Tactical Bridge Officer has been promoted to LT (I actually promoted all my bridge crew). At the ships stations, she has only 1 box available (which has target substations 1) in the box. The other 3 boxes are "X". I have bought the manual and she has learned the upgraded target substations II, but it won't let me select it, as a skill on her station for space. If I click Character status, her name and then stations...in the dropdown, there are 4 different rank 1 skills I can choose. The skill II doesn't show up. It does show being "learned" on the appropriate skills page though.

In the HUD on the bottom, it states Ensign Tactical Station. However, my Engineering Station says LT and lets me equip 2 and the upgraded skill for that. In fact, my Engineering Station is the only one that shows LT.

How do I get the rest of the stations to move from Ensign to LT?

Comments

• dreadzyndreadzyn Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Does this have to do with the Tactical Console I am using on my ship? It's a IV.
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Sounds like your ship only has an Ensign Tactical seat.

Different ships come with different Bridge Officer Seating layouts. Regardless of their rank, Bridge Officers (or BOFFs) can only do skills up to the level of the station they're slotted in. So as you say, for the ship you're currently flying your engineer BOFF can do one ensign and one lietenant skill but your tactical BOFF can only do an ensign skill.

As you level up you will get ships that can let you do more bridge officer skills and at higher ranks.

Promoting officers above your available stations used to be useful for them unlocking ground skills but for some reason when they updated BOFF skills a while ago they made it so that all BOFFs can use four ground skills regardless of rank. So not promoting people only really has roleplay value now.
    edited January 2016
    Yes, my engineering has 2 stations but tactical only 1. Would I need an upgraded console or is it the ship won't allow it?
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    dreadzyn wrote: »
    Yes, my engineering has 2 stations but tactical only 1. Would I need an upgraded console or is it the ship won't allow it?

It's the ship.

Each ship has a BOff seating layout. No matter what the rank of the BOff told to sit there is, they can only use the power(s) up to the rank of the seat.

So an Ensign Tactical seat(/slot) will only allow your Tactical BOff to use their ensign level power. Further advanced starships will open up more and more slots of higher rank.

So that Connie Refit you're most likely flying (with a Lt Engineer slot and Ensign Sci ensign Tac) will only allow you to use the 4 or 5 powers that it's got open slots for. By T5, you can have 12 BOff powers of varying ranks...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    Got it.

Promoted to Commander and picked a new ship this morning. Heavy Cruiser. I am beginning to understand how it works now.
    I added another Engineering member to the crew also. Now have 3 Eng, 1 Science and 1 Tactical console.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Got it.

Promoted to Commander and picked a new ship this morning. Heavy Cruiser. I am beginning to understand how it works now.
    I added another Engineering member to the crew also. Now have 3 Eng, 1 Science and 1 Tactical console.

Strong Recommendation, as you may not be aware:

Start grabbing other BOffs as well with your promotions, "most"endgame ships need 2 of one class, 2 of a second class, and one of the last class.

So having a rounded staff is in your better interests... ;)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    dareau wrote: »
    Got it.

Strong Recommendation, as you may not be aware:

Start grabbing other BOffs as well with your promotions, "most"endgame ships need 2 of one class, 2 of a second class, and one of the last class.

So having a rounded staff is in your better interests... ;)

Thanks for the tip!

By the way....are there any other ways to get Master Keys, other than buying? I am sitting on 15 boxes to open and going to have to get some.

• grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    No. But you can buy keys either from the C store for zen, or on the in game exchange for a couple million EC.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Although many would say it is more worthwhile to save up the EC to try and buy what you want from a lockbox rather than gambling on them.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Lock boxes are fun, they put my high blood pressure to the test LOL, all kidding aside lock boxes are a game of chance I play from time to time. Just never forget, when you gamble expect to loose it all. That way your not disappointed in the outcome for I have spent lots of zen on keys and got what I call rocks. But I have also gotten some cool stuff too and the feeling is great wining it. The exchange can be your friend, just have the ec and be ready to spend it.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
    tarran61 wrote: »
    Lock boxes are fun, they put my high blood pressure to the test LOL, all kidding aside lock boxes are a game of chance I play from time to time. Just never forget, when you gamble expect to loose it all. That way your not disappointed in the outcome for I have spent lots of zen on keys and got what I call rocks. But I have also gotten some cool stuff too and the feeling is great wining it. The exchange can be your friend, just have the ec and be ready to spend it.

Was just curious about them (by the end of last night, I was up to 30 boxes) I bought 8 keys and got mostly R&D material and 36 Lobi Crystals. I did get 2 Purples: Herald AntiProton Dual beam bank MKVI and Dilithium Mining Claim VIP. Being new....I don't have that much Dil so, that's good.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    There's a dilithium weekend coming up. Wait until that's active to use that mining claim, you'll get more Dil.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'