test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic are Robdogs - UK Players Beware

i have had a pretty TRIBBLE Christmas and New Year so I decided to treat myself to the Galaxy X I have always wanted. Her indoors also agreed, having finally realised that socks and pants do not a Christmas prezzie make.

So, I wandered off to Steam and put £14 in my wallet. $20 being the equivalent of about £13.57. Imagine my shock, when I went to buy the Zen, to find that Cryptic wanted £17 for 2000 Zen. That means they have gouged me for about $5 more than a US player.

Comments

• jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Exchange rates aye
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Don't get this I've brought lots of zen and unless I'm mega mistaken I've always paid just under price but ive always used PayPal dunno if that makes a difference?

also I've brought in euros not dollars.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    Sorry things are crappy for you but, I believe, the extra £3 you were asked to pay will most likely be the UK VAT charge.

A quick calculation shows 20% of £14 to be £2.80, which puts you near as damn it to £17.

It's been a long time since I bought Zen for anything other than Dilithium, but IIRC Cryptic don't show VAT inclusive prices, they just lump it in at the end, which can come as a bit of a nasty surprise.

So, unfortunately, Cryptic hasn't gouged you, the UK government has :/
    Ok just took a look into this as it had me worried that I was paying more etc. .

The zen store on here is now in £ which is ooh nice

now if you use PayPal the price stays the same

but if you use card it adds about £3 to the price.

no idea why
    JtaDmwW.png
  • glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Cheers dabaholic, that does make sense.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    If you use a credit card they charge you x,xx or TRIBBLE, admin fee.

• misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Not sure why you were being asked £17 for 2000 zen i'm in the UK and 2000 zen costs me £15.99 via arc/paypal However you are right it is above the current exchange rate, so the extra £2 something i'm charged is vat. It is quite common for some other overseas companies to list something at a price excluding vat and then when you hit buy add the charge on. I wouldn't call Cryptic/PWE robbers as the price is clearly stated before you make the transaction regardless of whether we pay a little more than our U.S counterparts. i put that more down to living in the UK and being ripped off by our own Government, Cryptic/PWE are charging the correct amount with VAT inclusive of the price.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I got a few choice words for those idiots in whitehall, but none of which are suitable for this forum nor is political discussions allowed here anyway. strictly to the point, the gov't will nickle and dime anyone if they can get away with it, just another victim of a system they play. in any event, always research before you buy, that goes for anything.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I got a few choice words for those idiots in whitehall, but none of which are suitable for this forum nor is political discussions allowed here anyway. strictly to the point, the gov't will nickle and dime anyone if they can get away with it, just another victim of a system they play. in any event, always research before you buy, that goes for anything.

I'm sure it's more likely our government would penny and pound us sooner than nickle and dimeing us :D.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    That's why i do all my Zen transactions via Steam. More interesting payment options...
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Here in the US we have internet sales tax now so I get stuff added onto my purchases, tax taken by my state. And yes exchange rates. The pound is always worth more than the dollar.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    glenn#1579 wrote: »
    Cheers dabaholic, that does make sense.

Change your topic titel in " UK GOVERNMENT ARE ROBDOGS - UK PLAYERS BEWARE "
    vat isn't just a British thing thou is it. . . sales tax is around most countries. . .
    JtaDmwW.png
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    I wonder if this is a friendly nudge for Brittain to get rid of the pound and go full euro. :open_mouth:
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    using steam wallet to buy zen... people still risk that???
    questerius wrote: »
    I wonder if this is a friendly nudge for Brittain to get rid of the pound and go full euro. :open_mouth:

I can't see us ever doing that. It's going to be hard enough to keep us in the EU never mind a full currency union.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I can't see us ever doing that. It's going to be hard enough to keep us in the EU never mind a full currency union.

It's hard enough for the rest of us to keep the EU at all. Right now, almost every member wants to get out and build huge walls around their little countries like it's 1816... (off-topic pig-10.gif)​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    I bet you I had a worse holiday :p

Didn't get anything for Christmas at all and my basement flooded twice in the middle of winter...one time after going to bed and the meteorologist said there was only to be two inches of rain...woke up with double to triple that in my basement.

Hope that makes you feel a little better OP! ;)
    angrytarg wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    I can't see us ever doing that. It's going to be hard enough to keep us in the EU never mind a full currency union.

It's hard enough for the rest of us to keep the EU at all. Right now, almost every member wants to get out and build huge walls around their little countries like it's 1816... (off-topic pig-10.gif)

Last I heard of 1816 we were trying to stretch our walls around other peoples little countries.

Also, you're hardly off topic, it's not really an allowable one anyway.​​

#TASforSTO

• gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Maybe the title should be changed so as not to look like a personal thing against Cryptic for something that wasn't under their control?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    VAT doesn't care what currency is traded. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    vat isn't just a British thing thou is it. . . sales tax is around most countries. . .

All taxes suck, but VATs are the biggest crock of TRIBBLE in the bunch. 'value added', yeah right. Hope the politician that created that tax is burning in heck! >:)
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    ...Robdog?
    boldly-watched.png
  • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    ...Robdog?

Here's the definition http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rob+dogging+rob+doggers

A person who scams people. if someone has done something unfair and cheated you in some way they can be called rob dogging rob doggers

"He short changed me, that rob dogging rob dogger!"

"those guys are a bunch of rob dogging rob doggers!"

Not a term or slang i've come across before but reading those examples it does have a humorous tint to it
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    using steam wallet to buy zen... people still risk that???

Ever since Steam converted to local currency, I wasn't able to use it for ZEN in STO. I switched to Arc quite a while ago because of that.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    glenn#1579 wrote: »
    So, I wandered off to Steam and put £14 in my wallet. $20 being the equivalent of about £13.57. Imagine my shock, when I went to buy the Zen, to find that Cryptic wanted £17 for 2000 Zen. That means they have gouged me for about $5 more than a US player.

Europeans always payed more for games that in NA (that is US and Canada), when Steam come out people realized that US price =/= EU price, they never used the exchanges rates.

Its funny reading all this about VAT when the complain is that he wanted to pay the US prices of Zen when PW have its own pricing for the UK (and presumably other countries) for Zen just like Steam, PSN and Live does, there never was a direct exchange rate of USD/GBP, you dont look at the US price in the UK and then complain about you arent getting it, they have never done that, if you want it feel free to move to the US.

True facts, for sure. Surprisingly though, Canadians get screwed a lot over this too. Our dollar is directly compared to the US dollar all the time. And for the most part, none of our commodity prices change when the USD changes. I remember a couple years ago when the USD was worth slightly less than CAD, and we still paid the marked up price that was printed on books, for example.

Either way, don't use Steam for buying ZEN if you're not in the US. Whatever price difference / exchange rate changes are going on, using Steam first just adds to the issue.
This discussion has been closed.