test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who isn't going to see Star Trek Beyond?

penemue#7777 penemue Member Posts: 125 Arc User
edited December 2015 in Ten Forward
...because I refuse to be insulted by these hacks anymore who seem to consider the viewers of entertainment as infants who are only capable of comprehending and enjoying pretty flashing lights. Star Trek was great - and now it's just another formulaic reboot. I might see it like I saw "Into Darkness" - three years after release date on Netflix.

What is this movie even about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

How far the franchise has fallen since my favorite ST movie (I understand your objections to the characterization of Kirk, they are reasonable, but it's still a great film):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCcf9FBsNVo

People can tell me to "get with the times" all they want - that "it's just a silly movie and you should enjoy it" - but when you give me a trailer that tells me nothing about the story of the movie you tell me you have no story which means you're incompetent.
qD8QR3H.jpg?1

"At the end of the movie, I really care about what happens to the characters … but I’m pretty much missing Gene Roddenberry in J.J.’s interpretation … and at the end of the day, that’s just not OK for me." - Levar Burton

"[OrciTrek] doesn’t have the story heart that the best of my Star Trek had," - William Shatner

"It doesn’t have that element that made … Gene Roddenberry‘s ‘Star Trek,’ what it was." - George Takei

"The Gene Roddenberry years, when stories might play with questions of science, ideals or philosophy, have been replaced by stories reduced to loud and colorful action." - Roger Ebert
Post edited by penemue#7777 on

Comments

• lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    I also dislike the reboots, so I might get it on dvd from my library at some point
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I have no plans to see it in theater. I think I'll go with the library option too.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I'm going to watch it. You can't all moan about trailers giving away plot, then moan when they don't give it away.

Also, it's not a reboot, it's an alternate universe, and the last two films have been leaps and bounds above Insurrection, Generations, or the Final Fronter.

Try judging it on its content not by crying about it from one trailer.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »

I judge it by not liking the first two.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I won't see it in the cinema, might rent it. The first two are terrible (in my personal opinion) and I blame Abrams for it since they are visually just so mis-paced for a Star Trek installment and try to be Star Wars so hard it hurts.

The new Star Wars movie is pretty great though and oddly doesn't suffer from any of the mistakes the Star Trek movies made and even has a very pleasant pacing which would fit a Star Trek movie. So maybe there's something to the fact that Abrams just really, really disliked Star Trek and had to do something to bridge the gap until he was offered the Wars, who knows.

Having a new director and a few new faces working on "Beyond" might make it watchable, but as I said, definitely not a expensive cinema movie. Maybe a rental.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Meh, will see. I really enjoyed 2009, Into Darkness was okay, but I do remember a slightly disappointed feeling while leaving the theater. I will see Beyond at one point or another, just not sure if its going to be in theaters or at home.
    hravik wrote: »
    Try judging it on its content not by crying about it from one trailer.

Did you judge TWOK by TMP? or TUC by FF?​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Did you judge TWOK by TMP? or TUC by FF?​​

I liked TMP and FF, what's your point? I am allowed to not like stuff right? Its ok. My dislike for something has no bearing on your enjoyment of same.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    This is hilarious. I wish the internet was around in the 80's. I am willing to bet that most of the complaints that people long against this reboot were some of the same ones they loved against Star Trek The Next Generation.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    khan5000 wrote: »
    This is hilarious. I wish the internet was around in the 80's. I am willing to bet that most of the complaints that people long against this reboot were some of the same ones they loved against Star Trek The Next Generation.

Which of course entirely nullifies ones' liking or disliking about something, you're right pig-23.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I am going. I refuse to be told what I will and will not think about something or to be swayed by spoilers before giving it a full, unspoiled, unswayed test on my own. I don't care about failing anyone's Fan Purity Test or what have you. It's another universe anyway--nothing I grew up with is affected in any way, shape, or form.

I will *also* be trialling the new film score in the theater, and since film scores typically only stay in print a short time, that is another reason not to skip out on the theatrical release.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    angrytarg wrote: »

Which of course entirely nullifies ones' liking or disliking about something, you're right pig-23.gif​​

You can like or dislike whatever you want. Just pointing out that Star Trek fans have a long history of hating things just because they are new. The majority of Trekkers didn't accept TNG as real Trek until Best Of Both Worlds.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Did you judge TWOK by TMP? or TUC by FF?

I liked TMP and FF, what's your point? I am allowed to not like stuff right? Its ok. My dislike for something has no bearing on your enjoyment of same.

You can see my point. I'm saying don't judge one film by another.​​

#TASforSTO

• eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    TWOK had its fair share of naysayers, like it wasn't Trek enough, too much action, too militaristic, Chekov wasn't on the ship at the time, and even Roddenberry was not a fan because TNG was his answer to TWOK, TSFS, and TVH.
    You can like or dislike whatever you want. Just pointing out that Star Trek fans have a long history of hating things just because they are new. The majority of Trekkers didn't accept TNG as real Trek until Best Of Both Worlds.

True, but I got it that you used it as a remark that criticising the new films is invalid because whoever does so just does it because "Trek fans always did that. There's no other reason why anyone should mention that some fans liked and some disliked TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT or any of the movies. It's natural.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    edited January 2016

As a child of the 80s, I cut my teeth on TNG. Which lead me to watch TOS, and I watched DS9, and VOY, and ENT. As a matter of fact, I've probably rewatched ENT more than any other series. Not liking something because is new just doesn't hold water.

I don't like the new Trek movies because they are purely action movies with a badly written story that fails to make me care about what happens to any of the characters. Action is fine, but it shouldn't preclude a well written story. Especially when they did the same basic story in both movies. Kirk learns to lead in both, Spock learns to be emotional when necessary in both, Uhura loves Spock, Scotty says wacky things, Bones is...there, I guess?

Maybe now that Orci is gone it will get better. I can't think of a single thing he's done I have actually liked. Transformers was bad, Amazing Spiderman 2 was bad, and both Trek movies are bad. But given the track record of the reboot, I'll wait until I do't have to spend money to find out.
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    ...because I refuse to be insulted by these hacks anymore who seem to consider the viewers of entertainment as infants who are only capable of comprehending and enjoying pretty flashing lights. Star Trek was great - and now it's just another formulaic reboot. I might see it like I saw "Into Darkness" - three years after release date on Netflix.

What is this movie even about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

Spaceships and cool futurey things.
    How far the franchise has fallen since my favorite ST movie (I understand your objections to the characterization of Kirk, they are reasonable, but it's still a great film):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCcf9FBsNVo

People can tell me to "get with the times" all they want - that "it's just a silly movie and you should enjoy it" - but when you give me a trailer that tells me nothing about the story of the movie you tell me you have no story which means you're incompetent

That's the point of a good trailer: to introduce the movie without giving too much away (which, I might add, the Star Wars trailers accomplished superbly).

I won't tell you to "get with the times" or anything like that; you are entitled to your own opinions. However, I will ask you to keep your as-of-yet unwarranted pessimism to yourself.

Plz?​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    I cannot care about JJ Trek, so I am not got even going to bother renting it.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.

As a child of the 80s, I cut my teeth on TNG. Which lead me to watch TOS, and I watched DS9, and VOY, and ENT. As a matter of fact, I've probably rewatched ENT more than any other series. Not liking something because is new just doesn't hold water.

I don't like the new Trek movies because they are purely action movies with a badly written story that fails to make me care about what happens to any of the characters. Action is fine, but it shouldn't preclude a well written story. Especially when they did the same basic story in both movies. Kirk learns to lead in both, Spock learns to be emotional when necessary in both, Uhura loves Spock, Scotty says wacky things, Bones is...there, I guess?

Maybe now that Orci is gone it will get better. I can't think of a single thing he's done I have actually liked. Transformers was bad, Amazing Spiderman 2 was bad, and both Trek movies are bad. But given the track record of the reboot, I'll wait until I do't have to spend money to find out.

But you are not the crowd I was talking about. The crowd I was talking about started out with TOS. I can tell you about my experiences at that time. I remember going to conventions in South Carolina and the response to the announcement of Star Trek The Next Generation was met with negative response. I remember people dumping on it because it wasn't the originals...the ship was all wrong...there was a Klingon as a part of the crew...that Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was true Star Trek and TNG wasn't. So when I see the same dumping on the reboot it reminds me of the when people dumped on TNG.

However let's look at your complaints about the new movies:
    1) a badly written story. Is this the first Star Trek movie with a badly written story? IMO Final Frontier has a pretty badly written story. Is there a TNG movie other than First Contact that isn't badly written? Are there not badly written episodes in all the series? Spock's Brain takes the cake in the TOS...the first two seasons of TNG are loaded with stinkers but to pick one I'll say Cod of Honor. DS9, Voyager and Enterprise all have badly written episodes...so why is the reboot the only one held over the fire over badly written stories?

2) The same basic stories told over again. Star Trek never retold the same stories all over again. Isn't The Motion Picture just a big budget version of The Changeling? Aren't Riker and Trois the same story of Dekker and Ilia? Again why are we faulting the reboots for the same things the prime universe series did?

Like I said...love what you love, hate what you hate...i just find it eerily familiar.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    WHO ISN'T GOING TO SEE STAR TREK BEYOND?

A better question is, why do you care so much whether other people see the movie or not? I'm going to see the movie...because I want to. If I enjoy it, great. If I don't, no big deal. Either way, people shouldn't be so insecure that they need other people to validate or "side with them" about their choices of entertainment or how they feel about a certain movie.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    WHO ISN'T GOING TO SEE STAR TREK BEYOND?

A better question is, why do you care so much whether other people see the movie or not? I'm going to see the movie...because I want to. If I enjoy it, great. If I don't, no big deal. Either way, people shouldn't be so insecure that they need other people to validate or "side with them" about their choices of entertainment or how they feel about a certain movie.

Pretty much all of this. Star Trek does not require a litmus test in order to be considered a fan of it. It's a franchise, not a cult.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    Who isn't going to see Star Trek Beyond?
    I won't. Into Dumbness was the first time I didn't go see a Star Trek movie in the theater. Beyond will be the second. :/

And don't call me a hater or whatever. I kept an open mind and I gave the JJ reboot in '09 a shot. Did. Not. Like.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Also, it's not a reboot, it's an alternate universe, and the last two films have been leaps and bounds above Insurrection, Generations, or the Final Fronter.

That's the problem. No one is willing to give it a chance because its different. Purists would rather we continue down a road that right now has gone stale. We get an opening for new stories without harming the continuity we already know, and they cry because its not the same.

NOT EVERYONE THINKS TOS IS GODLY PEOPLE! Its an alternate universe. No different than the accepted Mirror Universe and other realities that have been seen. We just happen to be showcasing this new reality more. It is introducing a new generation to Star Trek. Get over the hate please. Otherwise you fail at IDIC, which is a Trek concept.
    Infinite DIVERSITY in Infinite Combinations.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    When was the last time you heard someone say, "Man, I really did not like the older television series, but Enterprise really drew me in."?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    I haven't iconians. But the point remains. So many people are raging against things without even giving them a chance based on appearance, director, or what came before without letting something stand on its own merits. They are essentially using rose colored lenses to see what they want to see and justify their rage.

"Janeway should be shot for treason!"
    -You have to make tough choices when it comes to survival when you're alone.

"Archer is incompetant!"
    -Archer was the first Starfleet Captain to go out that far. There was NO book to go by.

"JJTrek destroyed my life and everything I knew!"
    -Get over it. Just because its not the same doesn't make it garbage. New crew for a new century. Also its an Alternate Reality, which means everything STILL EXISTS! I don't see the Transformers fans complaining about HOW MANY continuities they got that aren't affecting each other? Um... I honestly don't know how many they got now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I won't be wasting my time and $ on it. Just don't care about Jar Jar Spoof Trek. I didn't see the other 2 in the theaters, so why start now. My last movie was Nemesis. I will return when they come out with something better than the current offering.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    I have no problems with people hating. But I do prefer it if they show their work. Why they hate what they hate.

That's where the divide between the JJ Abrams movies and everything else becomes incredibly silly, because the why between hating JJ Abrams and hating Enterprise becomes different.

JJ Abrams is just a convenient target. People will blame anything and everything wrong with Star Trek on him and him alone. But if you see people criticise Voyager or Enterprise (myself included), the apologists crawl out of the woodwork.

"Enterprise would have been awesome if they just had one more season to showcase the megasuperawesome Earth-Romulan War that would have in no way been watered down or lackluster due to budgetary constraints."

I personally liked Voyager, but I can't make excuses for the horrible writing. It still had characters people liked. It still had heart to it. I even enjoy horrible writing. It's one reason I like Star Trek.

The JJ Abrams films on the other hand, I see the opposite. I see people going after miniscule things without ever really explaining why they hate it other than it's just "different". Lens flares. That's about it.

ExtxpTp.jpg
    I agree that Voyager could have been better. I also happened to like Enterprise because we were seeing how the familiar tech was developed. And I think the Earth-Romulan War would probably have been handled like the Dominion War in DS9. It wouldn't be epic Battle of Coruscant level fights all the time. There would be a few major battles, some skirmishes, and events between said events as well as how it affects the crew. I mean in DS9 we saw Nog seriously affected by having to lose his leg!

And I agree that people are attacking the director of the reboot movies because he's a convenient target and have rather weak arguments as to why EVERYONE should hate the reboot movies, including the Lense Flares. Going out of their way to bash it, rip it apart, ect for no other reason than its different and done differently makes no sense to me.

Another example is the live action Transformers movies. One of the nitpicks people had was Optimus Prime wasn't a flat nosed semitruck. What they were trying to do was make it believable that all that transformer could fit inside a truck. They were wanting to avoid the issue of mass coming and going out of thin air like what was rampant in some of the cartoons, such as when Megatron transformed in G1. And actually getting the ORIGINAL VOICE ACTOR for Optimus was an added bonus. Yet people specifically bash Michael Bay.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    "I know nothing about this film from the Trailer!"

Well, yeah... It's only a Teaser Trailer. They never reveal the plot of a film. That's why they're called Teaser Trailers. I'm reserving judgement until they show an actual theatrical trailer.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    "I know nothing about this film from the Trailer!"

Well, yeah... It's only a Teaser Trailer. They never reveal the plot of a film. That's why they're called Teaser Trailers. I'm reserving judgement until they show an actual theatrical trailer.

Um... ryan... that MIGHT be the theatrical. I saw that specific trailer when I went to see Star Wars YESTERDAY.
This discussion has been closed.