test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Red Alert: Boarding Parties

Apparently I'm writing more than one [self proclaimed] brilliant idea today...

Those Red Alerts that we get in Sector Space from time to time, they're great, and they add a little bit of a random challenge for us at times, though usually it's a pew-pew situation. They're obviously all external though, and set in space. How about an internal one? Put simply, you're flying around as you normally do, you get a Red Alert pop up, and it's actually your ship that's being attacked. Instead of shooting your way through enemy ships, upon joining that action, you'd jump map into your ship where it's your job (along with four brave bridge officers of your choice) to clear your ship of raiding parties, rescue trapped crewmates and maybe even scan for (and fix) radiation leaks?

Enable a select number of preset ship internals (ones we can choose for our ships, maybe even allow cosmetic changes etc, just so we feel at home) and then add the invaders. I know some people are going to ask for the ability to make their own ship internals here, but (and unless I'm mistaken) the devs would then have to produce a significant number of would be placements for hostile forces, and for every room, door and corridor. Not very feasible, but a set bunch of presets (we'd choose one per ship, like a bridge) would work.

Yay or Nay?
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    So essentially a ground red alert - I like it. Red alerts need a makeover, more situations, more enemies, more randomness.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    Would this include a buff to the Boarding Party boff skill?

If your raiding party is anything like their party the crew wouldn't even notice they were being attacked.

Also, a number of the ships I fly only have the bridge for an interior. That would be like fighting in a basement. Lt. Raine would not like that.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    I like the idea in theory, but as @thatcursedwolf pointed out, some of the ships are just a bridge. The Risian ships don't even get a unique one of those. If Cryptic were willing to put the effort into creating more ship interiors, I'd be happy.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    So essentially a ground red alert - I like it. Red alerts need a makeover, more situations, more enemies, more randomness.​​
    Is it ground if it's set inside a space ship, in space? :wink::tongue:
    Also, a number of the ships I fly only have the bridge for an interior. That would be like fighting in a basement. Lt. Raine would not like that.
    I suppose the only workaround for this would be to disable the feature for ships that didn't have more than a bridge. Shuttles and other small craft wouldn't be able to enter the scenario.

• Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    The only caveat I can see to this otherwise pretty good idea is that it can't actually be the player's ship.

I mean, exotic player ships that lack full interiors aside....

The point of a Red Alert/Deep Space Encounter is for it to include many other players at once. What the OP describes sounds more like a solo instance than the multiplayer maps that currently exist.
    And a scenario where your ship is just.... randomly boarded? In space? Makes little sense.
    But, if it's helping a random allied vessel repel hostile boarders, that'd be a bit more feasible. Like, a friendly gets into an engagement that goes south real quick, and you answer a timely distress signal.
    Maybe only beaming in with one or two BOffs, though. Too many BOffs, from multiple players even, all in one small map, does weird things to the game.

There's even potential here for it to be differing kinds of ship, too. From random Starfleet, KDF, and RRW (or even RSE!) ships, to civilian and Ferengi trade vessels. Maybe even do a neat inversion of this premise, and sometimes instead of helping repel enemy boarders, you're helping capture an enemy ship! From Gorn to Breen to Nausicaan, maybe even gear up and storm an Elachi or Tholian vessel.

It's otherwise a really solid idea, and would be a really neat addition to the game.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    The only caveat I can see to this otherwise pretty good idea is that it can't actually be the player's ship.

I mean, exotic player ships that lack full interiors aside....

The point of a Red Alert/Deep Space Encounter is for it to include many other players at once. What the OP describes sounds more like a solo instance than the multiplayer maps that currently exist.
    And a scenario where your ship is just.... randomly boarded? In space? Makes little sense.
    But, if it's helping a random allied vessel repel hostile boarders, that'd be a bit more feasible. Like, a friendly gets into an engagement that goes south real quick, and you answer a timely distress signal.
    Maybe only beaming in with one or two BOffs, though. Too many BOffs, from multiple players even, all in one small map, does weird things to the game.

There's even potential here for it to be differing kinds of ship, too. From random Starfleet, KDF, and RRW (or even RSE!) ships, to civilian and Ferengi trade vessels. Maybe even do a neat inversion of this premise, and sometimes instead of helping repel enemy boarders, you're helping capture an enemy ship! From Gorn to Breen to Nausicaan, maybe even gear up and storm an Elachi or Tholian vessel.

It's otherwise a really solid idea, and would be a really neat addition to the game.

Having it be a random NPC ship you help clear is a great idea.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Cloaking Devices & Transporters work together, don't they? A Cloaked Vor'cha boarding a slow moving T'Varro for example? :wink:

Otherwise, what you've extended sounds like a more reasonable idea. Helping out allies in need, rather than ones self. I suppose such a further extension could have teams of players beaming down to nearby planets in similar fashion to defeat an occupying force.

• Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    If it's a multiplayer red-alert on foot, then I'd vote for planetary missions, not ship boarding ones (unless it's something BIG). One Tuffli in trouble, and a Jupiter, Vonph, two Scimitars and a Negh'Tev come to the rescue? Yeah right :smiley: The space is filled with random uncharted/non-canon planets and colonies - It would make sense for them to get threatened by Borg / Pirates / Skin-eating space plague (at least then you can say that the ships are repelling the attackers in space and/or evacuating civilians or something)...
  • Options
    That seems more reasonable. It could probably be set in stages, so you retake some key areas of the ship on your way to main engineering which allows you to unlock the turbolift and head to the bridge for the final confrontation.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    themartian wrote: »
    That seems more reasonable. It could probably be set in stages, so you retake some key areas of the ship on your way to main engineering which allows you to unlock the turbolift and head to the bridge for the final confrontation.

I'd suggest moving the final stage someplace else, like main engineering. Showdowns on bridges are kind of meh as the bridge is the smallest room on the ship. You have five guys swarming the boss, all firing their shiny abilities in one cramped space.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options

I'd suggest moving the final stage someplace else, like main engineering. Showdowns on bridges are kind of meh as the bridge is the smallest room on the ship. You have five guys swarming the boss, all firing their shiny abilities in one cramped space.​​

That makes more sense.

It could be under the pretense of if the enemy can't take the ship, they'd try to scuttle it, so they could be tinkering with the core.
  • Options

That makes more sense.

It could be under the pretense of if the enemy can't take the ship, they'd try to scuttle it, so they could be tinkering with the core.

Somethings in there don't react well to phasers.
  • Options

That makes more sense.

I agree engineering makes more practical sense (it's why I included it), but the bridge is more iconic for the showdown. Maybe the boffs have to stay behind in engineering to repair the ship, stop it getting too crowded.
    My alt army:
  • Options

That makes more sense.

I agree engineering makes more practical sense (it's why I included it), but the bridge is more iconic for the showdown. Maybe the boffs have to stay behind in engineering to repair the ship, stop it getting too crowded.

No, of course it is.

But we're talking about a matter of space. Like, actual literal physical interior space.

Like, if a bunch of players (and at least one of their BOffs with them) go to a ship's bridge for this "iconic showdown", it'll simply get too crowded. Clustered up enemies, swarming players, attacks lashing out everywhere..... no, no, it's too much of a mess.

A ship's Main Engineering would be more suitable for this, since they tend to range from large to cavernous. Plus, while a ship's bridge is indeed iconic, the Main Engineering is more important. It's where all the power in a ship is generated. And like I said, if an enemy boarding party finds it can't outright control the ship, they may just try to blow it up. The best way to do this would be from Main Engineering itself.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    +1 (x1,000)
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Yeah, really nice idea. Maybe a freighter or other ship in distress you beam down to help stabilize the core etc...
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    Just imagine it... traveling through the Delta Quadrant...

"Admiral... I have a Vidiian vessel on sensors."
    "Raise sh..."
    "Admiral!!! They have beamed into sick bay!"
    "... Dammit... T'vol, you and your team with me..."

Yeah... I can see it now...
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Support

Always wanted to fight more space pirates
  • Options
    Oooo... got that covered too..

"Admiral... we're receiving a dristress call from an Orion freighter, the P'tang"
    "Put them on screen"
    *the image of your cliched half naked orion female appears on the screen*
    "This is Admiral Moreh, of the Nosferatu... May we be of assistance?"
    Female orion captain: "Yes... we have been attacked by the the Tholians and I bave injured over here. Propulsion is down and life support is failing"
    "Transporter room, lets get those people off that ship. Engineering, we'll need a crew to head over as,assess tge situation... Captain, you are more than welcome to our hospitality while your wounded are tended too and repairs are started."
    *smiling politely* "Why thany you Admiral, your assustance is most appreciated."
    *communications are cut, and survivors beamed over to the Nosferatu.*
    Science Officer: Sir... I'm detecting no emmissions indicating the Tholians were here."
    "What?..."
    "Admiral! Weapons fire reported in 10 forward!"
    "... Dammit... T'vok, you and your men with me."
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Or just have the only opponents as Heralds. Them boardining your ship wouldn't require any of the elaborate explanations above - they just gateway onto you.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,323 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    Apparently I'm writing more than one [self proclaimed] brilliant idea today...

Those Red Alerts that we get in Sector Space from time to time, they're great, and they add a little bit of a random challenge for us at times, though usually it's a pew-pew situation. They're obviously all external though, and set in space. How about an internal one? Put simply, you're flying around as you normally do, you get a Red Alert pop up, and it's actually your ship that's being attacked. Instead of shooting your way through enemy ships, upon joining that action, you'd jump map into your ship where it's your job (along with four brave bridge officers of your choice) to clear your ship of raiding parties, rescue trapped crewmates and maybe even scan for (and fix) radiation leaks?

Enable a select number of preset ship internals (ones we can choose for our ships, maybe even allow cosmetic changes etc, just so we feel at home) and then add the invaders. I know some people are going to ask for the ability to make their own ship internals here, but (and unless I'm mistaken) the devs would then have to produce a significant number of would be placements for hostile forces, and for every room, door and corridor. Not very feasible, but a set bunch of presets (we'd choose one per ship, like a bridge) would work.

Yay or Nay?

We already have a mission in which we have to save the romulan flagship from vaadwaur so it shouldn't be too difficult to replace the vaadwaur with borg, tal shiar, jem hadar or cardassian forces..

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would say go less ship boarding an towards more of star-bases being attacked at first, and then having to board onto the starbase to deal with some of the boarding parties that got thru to the base. You could randomize the star-base from being one of the three main faction's bases (Federation/Romulan/KDF), or even afew non-aligned Alien bases that are attacked by one of the many enemy factions (Borg, Voth, Undine, Herald/Iconian, Tholians, and what have you.). Which could actually determine which faction's rep marks you get, or just have it be choosing from several of the existing ones. You could do this in both a completely ground, or as a ground/space hybrid type of red-alert format, which both would have varied elements that would be fun an interesting.

This kind of red-alert could start as said with getting a distress call from the base being attacked, and requesting aid, which based on your faction could be you going to their aid (such as with feds, or even some KDF), or maybe going to raid a weakened target, even just to gain more ties with a new ally such as with Romulans. As you warp in you would find what faction is attacking the base an need to break a blockade around the base both in defeating the ships of the attacking force, and also disabling teleportation inhibitors they put up to keep the base secure an the any from escaping off the base, which would be fun as a space portion of the red-alert. After dealing with the fleet/ships around the base, deactivating any devises that inhit you gaining access to the base, then you could go to more of a ground portion of the red-alert, which would have multi-layers to the base that you can go into an has different objectives to them, while working towards unlocking the final area you need to get to either the command-center of the base or the main-engineering section.. After retaking an securing the base once more, and getting the main systems up an running. Then there might be last phase that can take part either in a space portion of the red-alert such as a large flag-ship level ship of that faction warping in, or a ground portion in which a boss spawns that begins to retake the base over time an needs to be defeated, but i think having both happen that you need to divide your forces between fighting the flag-ship in space an the boss in ground would be really interesting. Issue is i could see this being a really elaborate an time consuming red-alert to actually both create, and also to complete compared to other red-alerts that are much faster, but honestly i wish the red-alerts were longer an the mobs more hearty with a increase in the time limits in them to suit the increase.