test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spaceship no-go

I'm new to the foundry in that I have not yet published the mission I've been working on now and then again for about a year. Now, it's almost done; I have a small ground map left to create and the denoument at the end to put together, an so I've been working on the big space map in the middle.

Here's my issue; once the map loads and I get through my opening dialog the warp effect drops away and the system becomes visible. Problem is, the ship won't move. It won't throttle up, it won't change inclination. It'll yaw like crazy, but no roll or pitch. And it simply won't move from the spawn point.

Anybody have a clue what that is or how to get around it or avoid it? I'm truly stumped....

Thanks in advance.
The reputation system got nerfed to prevent "power creep"; it's called an investment in time and money, and I think I should get a little something for my time and money like being able to stomp the TRIBBLE out of a new guy since I've been playing for three years now! :D

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    In preview? Try publishing and see if it works then.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The player ship? I've never heard of anything like this. Sounds like a specific-instance issue. First off, if this problem persists, try hitting the reset map button. I'm had a couple instances where full impulse wouldn't activate after starting a preview. If that doesn't work, do as Mark suggests and see if the problem persists after publishing to live.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    There is a "New" Bug with Season 11, that sometimes Causes the Authors Ship in Preview to be unmovable, I havn't been able to confirm it myself, or find a cause, but I'e heard it from a lot of people.

It's on my list. :smile:
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I've been seeing this happen infrequently since the foundry came back. I've also had it happen while my ship plummets through the map like a ground character spawned in open space (that can be quite funny in the right/wrong situations. Escape!) It might be something to do with loading the space engine and not getting things quite right with the player character (ie. including some incompatible ground physics, like gravity) but that's not something we can really get into from our end beyond a few points of wild and crazy speculation (at least at my level of bug reports :p ).

Work around: save your project, exit the editor (back to the character screen), and then load it back up. It also won't affect the published mission, it really looks like just an editor bug.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • baloqbaloq Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Thanks one and all for the ideas and comments. Let me respond to each in kind...

@ Markhawkman: This thing is nowhere near ready to publish. As this is my first Foundry mission I have no idea, quite honestly, of what happens post-publication. Thoughts?

@ thegreendragoon1: I have had a host of issues with this particular map: warp streak weather not being visible when the camera is directly behind the player vessel; plummeting to the bottom of the map for no reason; full impulse failing to engage; and now not moving. I have pulled out of the game entirely and rebooted it entirely from a relaunch of Arc, and it occasionally takes care of the issue, only to replace it with something new.

@ ruinthefun: I thought of that, but I removed everything from the immediate vicinity and the problem persists.

@ primar13: Thanks for the effort, and yeah, you've heard it from yet one more.

@ duncanidaho11: As I've said, I've tried that work around, multiple times, and have even backed entirely out of Arc and relaunched the entire game. I'm still stuck. As inexperienced as I am with the Foundry I find that I need to go into test mode with almost every change to verify both the efficacy and the accuracy of the alterations. If I can't fly around to make sure what I have pieced together on this map works properly I cannot continue with it. And I need to use this map twice, once for a tricky planetary approach and then again for a fight-filled escape from the system. So, I'm about as stuck as my ship.

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep plugging away at it as best I can and I'll report back here if anything changes in the near future.
    The reputation system got nerfed to prevent "power creep"; it's called an investment in time and money, and I think I should get a little something for my time and money like being able to stomp the TRIBBLE out of a new guy since I've been playing for three years now! :D
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    baloq wrote: »
    Thanks one and all for the ideas and comments. Let me respond to each in kind...

@ Markhawkman: This thing is nowhere near ready to publish. As this is my first Foundry mission I have no idea, quite honestly, of what happens post-publication. Thoughts?

Just stress in the description and title that it's a test publish,once you've done testing it you can go back into the foundry editor and unpublish it.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

@ duncanidaho11: As I've said, I've tried that work around, multiple times, and have even backed entirely out of Arc and relaunched the entire game. I'm still stuck. As inexperienced as I am with the Foundry I find that I need to go into test mode with almost every change to verify both the efficacy and the accuracy of the alterations. If I can't fly around to make sure what I have pieced together on this map works properly I cannot continue with it. And I need to use this map twice, once for a tricky planetary approach and then again for a fight-filled escape from the system. So, I'm about as stuck as my ship.

1. Have you tried moving the spawn point? Doesn't seem like a likely fix but its a troubleshooting step to try.

2. Have you tried other space maps? Create a new one and see if the problem persists. If it does then its likely a bug with the editor. If it doesn't then it may be a bug with one of the assets (and you can start working at the problem from there.)

3. Have you tried force verifying the game (from launcher options)?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    @ duncanidaho11: As I've said, I've tried that work around, multiple times, and have even backed entirely out of Arc and relaunched the entire game. I'm still stuck.

I've come across this problem, too, and this solution never worked for me. What I did was made sure that all the problems in the timeline were fixed (all character costumes selected, objects and contacts filled in, all dialogue filled in, etc.). I also removed the last assets I remembered placing before the bug occurred.

My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Do you have patch-on-demand enabled? that might be an issue.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg