test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

win 10 issues?

I've run the game successfully on an alt account on my 2nd puter which still has and will contiue to have winblows 7(the best os ever) but my win 10 rig will not run star trek at all. The game crashes after the splash load screen for new dawn even when using compatibility mode for win 7. wth! Am I going to have to re-install arc AND star trek both? please advise.

Comments

• lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    Running it on my win10 without any problems, so that doesn't come from your OS.
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    as i said in the other win10 thread i have been running windows 10 since launch day on both my laptop and desktop and had no issues running sto on either PC.

as for windows 7 being the best I would differ, windows 10 loads faster, has more features built in and is far less prone to crashes, in fact since installed I have yet to see windows 10 crash to dos or completely seize up as windows 7 frequently did.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Yeah, I've had no problems with "10" running STO, since I upgraded to it back a few months ago.
    I've had to patch my NVIDIA driver twice though, cause of it's wankyness with other parts of Win 10.
    NVIDIA was pretty quick to upload fixes. Within a couple of weeks it solved my problems.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • gawain1313gawain1313 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    as i said in the other win10 thread i have been running windows 10 since launch day on both my laptop and desktop and had no issues running sto on either PC.

as for windows 7 being the best I would differ, windows 10 loads faster, has more features built in and is far less prone to crashes, in fact since installed I have yet to see windows 10 crash to dos or completely seize up as windows 7 frequently did.

sorry to hear you had so many issues with win 7, I never had any of those issues *shrugs*.

The only thing i can think of then is a corruption in the exe. file as that's what's crashing even after forced verification(mind you i hadn't played in over a yr and have only recently upgraded to win 10 from win 8.1) and the last time i played on this puter i was using win 7 and never had an issue like this. Seems the logical conclusion is a corruption in the exe. file and that means re-installing star trek from scratch......not the most desirable solution as it'll tie up this computer for a long time but I may have no choice.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    gawain1313 wrote: »

sorry to hear you had so many issues with win 7, I never had any of those issues *shrugs*.

The only thing i can think of then is a corruption in the exe. file as that's what's crashing even after forced verification(mind you i hadn't played in over a yr and have only recently upgraded to win 10 from win 8.1) and the last time i played on this puter i was using win 7 and never had an issue like this. Seems the logical conclusion is a corruption in the exe. file and that means re-installing star trek from scratch......not the most desirable solution as it'll tie up this computer for a long time but I may have no choice.

indeed that is the thing I would try, I hope you get it working in the end.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I had some stalling and 1frame/sec problems until I updated all of the drivers and Windows 10 itself. Make sure that's done before you go through the P.I.T.A. of reinstalling the game.
    <3
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    Make sure you have the correct version of W10, as there is not only 32bit and 64bit versions, but home edition and pro, and also the original release as well as the current November release of W10.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

edited December 2015
    I always have the current versions of everything, I'm meticulous in keeping drivers and versions up-to-date(I've been around computers since the Vic-20). I'm just about finished with a complete re-install of arc as well as STO, just patching now and we'll see if the file corruption was the issue, otherwise there's a bigger problem that i can't identify. Well still crashing even after following the windows 10 sto troubleshooting guide and re-installation. No idea wth is going on with the gameclient.exe that it won't launch. I'm stumped.
    Post edited by gawain1313 on
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    If windows 10 is crashing STO your drivers are not windows 10 graphic drivers. You have to reinstall the new windows 10 driver via your Laptop vendoer (if it's a laptop) or AMD/NVidia if it's a desktop and depending on which one you have. That should fix the issue. I had the same issue because I forgot to update once I put 10 on this system.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
    I always have the current versions of everything, I'm meticulous in keeping drivers and versions up-to-date(I've been around computers since the Vic-20). I'm just about finished with a complete re-install of arc as well as STO, just patching now and we'll see if the file corruption was the issue, otherwise there's a bigger problem that i can't identify. Well still crashing even after following the windows 10 sto troubleshooting guide and re-installation. No idea wth is going on with the gameclient.exe that it won't launch. I'm stumped.

Computer specs might help someone figure out your issue, can you post them here please?

• borg0borg0 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Well if you value your privacy stick with win7... if you dont mind a backdoor to your comp go with win10. The fact that win10 collect user's nfo is a no go for me. Any such build-in feature is prone to be exploited. I've already thought of many ways hackers can do to exploit this feature.
  • borg0borg0 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Btw, if STO crashed, it wouldnt be due to OS. It's because of a driver. The most likely suspect is the GFX driver.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Try launching the game in safe mode.

If that works, reset all your options from inside STO and re-launch the game. That might help prevent you having to re-install the entire game.

Good luck.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    It's as i suspected....windows 10 is NOT supported by cryptic and therefore the issue of crashing is being caused by running on my 64 bit win 10. I don't have a clue how any of you got it to work but i had to go through a series of steps according to customer support and i'm not sure it'll even work yet as I'm re-patching as i type. I hope it does and that cryptic gets their butts in gear and start working on this problem. It's not like win 10 only came out yesterday.
  • sonicshowersonicshower Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    I must be the odd man out. Since upgrading to Windows 10, this game has run considerably better for me.
    sh2sxc7.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It's as i suspected....windows 10 is NOT supported by cryptic and therefore the issue of crashing is being caused by running on my 64 bit win 10.

No, you have a driver or something that's not working right with Windows 10. The game runs perfectly fine under Windows 10, but all computers are different. You likely have something installed that's causing an issue, but there are tons of people that run this game on Windows 10 without even the slightest issue. I have it on 2 Win 10 Computers and 1 Windows 10 Laptop and I didn't have to do anything to get it to run other then simply install it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited December 2015
    There is the likely chance that once W10 installed, 1 or more drivers are not correctly functioning, as W10 default drivers are not always 100% with everything from a fresh install of the upgraded OS.

There were a few drivers I myself needed to re-install, but haven't had any issues running the game client, or ARC.

This may or may not be the issue, but always make sure it is a clean install of any OS, and re-install any wonky drivers as well as update as many drivers as possible to W10 compatible ones, otherwise you may need use compatibility mode for some hardware/software, but this is usually very rare needing to rely on compatibility mode!
    Post edited by shadowwraith77 on

• yeoman85yeoman85 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I also have been having problems with STO since upgrading to Win10, specifically when map moving TO Earth Spacedock, it usually crashes the display adapter but this morning it totally froze the whole pc and I had to turn it off and back on to clear it as task manager wouldn't even appear.