test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I am lost

madizmonemadizmone Member Posts: 35 Arc User
Hey guys,

I haven't been playing STO for about 1 year and came back to see what's up.
Just bought the T6 Battlecruiser but all MK XII and some weapons MK XIII. If i want to join PvE i need to increase my DPS. Is that like i need to make all my items change to MK level 20 or so?

Other question i have is where do you find the cargo ships where you can buy commodities?
Normally there where 2 ships just outside Sol.

Thanks in advance guys hope you can help me out :)

Comments

• ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    The max level for items is currently Mk XIV. You can still perform half-decently with MkXII purple gear, though, but upgrading your stuff does become important in the long term.

As for the cargos, i'm not sure. I have been unable to find any since they re-arranged sector space, so i just usually buy commodities from social zones merchants.
  • madizmonemadizmone Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Ok thanks.

I am also retraining my bridge officers and i want to add Beam Fire at will III but i seem not to be able to train it. The training manual is not showing up at the Bridge officer trainer.

The bridge officer that i set to station is a commander in universal station which gives 3 slots for skills.
    He now has Torpedo spread III but want to change it to Fire at Will III since i am going full beems.

Anyone?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    did you buy a manual on the exchange? FaW3 is not a manual you can buy at the boff trainer(only 1 and 2).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Thanks man i did now, did not know you had to buy it at the exchange :(
    Is it correct that i can retrain met skill set only once?

Just tried to buy a captain retrain token but wome how i got the shup upgrade token instead.
    I tried it 3 times so i now lost 1500 Zen and never got the retrain token.

I want to retrain my skills because i made a new ship build and want to adjust my skills to the build.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    If you want to improve your dps, you'll first want to make sure you've got an effective gear COMBO, before you look into upgrading.

10k DPS is enough for most advanced content in this game in Space, and you can get that on white mark X - XII gear with the right setup.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    madizmone wrote: »
    Is it correct that i can retrain met skill set only once?

Just tried to buy a captain retrain token but wome how i got the shup upgrade token instead.
    I tried it 3 times so i now lost 1500 Zen and never got the retrain token.

I want to retrain my skills because i made a new ship build and want to adjust my skills to the build.

Oh TRIBBLE! Sorry about the 1500 Zen, but you can sell those ship upgrade tokens on the Exchange for EC. First search for them on the BUY tab and see what they sell for. If you're sure the z-store is bugged, you can try opening a support ticket in-game, (bottom-right corner of the minimap, question mark button, request GM help)

About captain skill reset - If you're a subscriber, you get several free re-skills as you level up . So first I'd go to ESD and talk to the skill re-trainer, and see if you have any freebies available. If you need help finding the skill re-trainer, beam into ESD, go left (only way you can go) and on your left is an opening into another area. Look on the lowest level, under the stairs. I'm guessing you've already found this, because you mention the training manual vendor which is in the same area.

As far as FAW III, you can create the training manual yourself if you are a TACTICAL captain with 6 ranks of the Starship Energy Weapons skill, (top row on the skills tab, second box from the left). Making manuals is simple. Under your minimap is a button with three heads, click that and click the R&D tab on the resulting screen. First you need to make a PADD, which is the top item on the list, and then you can use the PADD to craft various skill books, depending on what career your captain has chosen (i.e. Tactical, Engineering, or Science), and what ranks you have in various skills. Note that this is mentioned in the popup description when you click on a skill on the Skills page. For example, if you click that second box on the top row of skills, Starship Energy Weapons, a box pops up to the right telling you about it, and it says that you can create FAW III and CRF III if you're a Tac with 6 ranks of that skill.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    Hey guys,

I haven't been playing STO for about 1 year and came back to see what's up.
    Just bought the T6 Battlecruiser but all MK XII and some weapons MK XIII. If i want to join PvE i need to increase my DPS. Is that like i need to make all my items change to MK level 20 or so?

Other question i have is where do you find the cargo ships where you can buy commodities?

Thanks in advance guys hope you can help me out :)

max items are "only" mark xiv. 2 levels above when you left. You can upgrade what you have or reconsider as many new items in game might change your approach... when you left, fleet weapons might have been top, now they may not be due to people crafting to stack 3-4 of the same mod on each weapon.

you can do enough dps to function in most of the PVE runs with little more than the following example setup:
    5 fleet tac consoles ap
    all your forward weapons AP dual banks
    your aft weapons are 360 AP -- one crafted, one from the set, a cutting beam. If you have a 4th, pick a good turret or use web mines or something.

if not well geared, use the AP set reactor to get your 10% ap bonus.

mash fire at will, powr to weapons, attack patterns (beta is still nice...).
    if you have room for it, carry 1 copy of a beam overload. If you don't, carry 1 or two beams with the [over] mod.

there you go. Fly at stuff and shoot it and youll have enough dps to contribute to all but the toughest PVE runs while you start to gear up and catch up.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    The max level for items is currently Mk XIV. You can still perform half-decently with MkXII purple gear, though, but upgrading your stuff does become important in the long term.

Correction, you can still utterly curbstomp everything this game has to offer with mk12 purple gear. Upgrading is only important for people who compete on their DPS measurements.
    Thanks a lot Chastity,

That helped me a lot, seemed that i still had 10 retrain tokens LOL.

So i made my build in skill trainer and this is what it looks like now:
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=201516v2_0

What i do not understand is with this build, why is my Crit change 3.4%
    And my Crit Severity: 59,2%

are you viewing those on space or ground when you see those numbers?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Yeah i was not looking at it like i should.

These are the numbers:
    Shield: 11,943
    Bonus accuracy: 22,7%
    Crit change: 8,4%
    Crit Severity: 61,2%

Just played a PvE advanced, it was horrible :(
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    Thanks a lot Chastity,

That helped me a lot, seemed that i still had 10 retrain tokens LOL.

So i made my build in skill trainer and this is what it looks like now:
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=201516v2_0

What i do not understand is with this build, why is my Crit change 3.4%
    And my Crit Severity: 59,2%

why do you mix tetryon and anti proton? Also, while using the obelisk warp core, at least get the omni directional beam from the same episode to get the antiproton dmg boost.
    double up on BFAW and APBeta to maximise team (and your own) dps.
    directed energy modulation makes sense if you have that very expensive doff...otherwise scrap that ability and get reverse shield polarity and EPtW.
    1 Tacteam should be enough if you can get your hands on a purple and a blue tac doff that reduces tac team cooldown (also increases the effectiveness of your APBeta).
    Beam target weapons is absolute TRIBBLE.

your number one priority should be to get one type of weapon (I suggest anti proton) and get a more efficent boff and doff layout.
    secondary should be better consoles
    Go pro or go home
    Thanks Baudl,

I allready took the Tetryon out and added the Omni Directional Beam.
    The for weapons also are full Anti Proton now and added two Dual Banks.

Uuhm sorry for being the newb but what are BFAW, APBeta?
    Took out Directed Energy Modulation and added Reverse Shield Polarity.

Can you also explain what Boff and Doff are?

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    FYI, before upgrading gear to mark XIV, wait until the upgrade weekend coming either next week or the week after. The upgrade tokens do twice as much, so you only need half as many and half as much dil.

Also, Superior upgrades are much better than Improved -- 12,500 upgrade points vs. 5,000 and about the same amount of dil.
    BOff is Bridge Officer, and DOff is Duty officer.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • helixsunbringerhelixsunbringer Member Posts: 249 Arc User

The ones that usually show up outside of the Sol System are usually there because someone has activated their [Azura Personal Comm Code] device. This is an item that can be obtained from the Federation Mission "Stranded In Space." The Romulan and Klingon equivalents can be obtained from the Missions "The Helix" and "Bringing Down the House" respectively.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated!
    @helixsunbringer,

Uhm i have that one but that only lets you show up Azura, and that is not the freighter i ment.
    There where always 2 freighters outside Sol where you could buy commodities very cheap, cheaper then in Sol or from Azura.

• shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    BFAW = Beam Fire At Will
    APBeta = Attack Pattern Beta
    8b6YIel.png?1
    @helixsunbringer,

Uhm i have that one but that only lets you show up Azura, and that is not the freighter i ment.
    There where always 2 freighters outside Sol where you could buy commodities very cheap, cheaper then in Sol or from Azura.
    I think they're somewhere in sector space. But mobile and you have to try to find them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • helixsunbringerhelixsunbringer Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    @madizmone ah, I wasn't aware of those...
    Thanks for the help all and Happy NewYear BTW

So if i start upgrading ship items to better MK what is the best to start with?
    Weapons (in my case antiproton beams) or Shield, Engine, Deflector etc?
    Consoles are usually cheap to upgrade. I'd definitely go in the order shield, deflector, engine, warp core. Weapons are a good idea, but they aren't cheap. Also it's good to remember that energy damage consoles can be upgraded with either beam or cannon upgrades, cannon upgrades are usually cheaper.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing