test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Females

glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
I have noticed something very creepy. There are a great many "female" characters in the game but they all seem to be chaps.

Do we actually have any female players? Are they all middle aged guys living with their parents eating KFC?

Just wondering?

Comments

• Options
    helixsunbringerhelixsunbringer Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    There are female players who play female characters, but the odds of actually tracking them down is remarkably low, and they probably won't openly advertise the fact outside of their Fleet Voice Server or something to that effect.

I personally try to have a notice indicating that I am indeed a guy on most if not ALL of my female characters to detract from the number of people hitting on me, as I don't like to lead people on if I can help it. That said, the reason I as a male play female characters is purely for my own personal enjoyment as I prefer looking at a female characters rear end whenever I am playing games like this rather than the rear end of a male, and if I am going to be investing money in a game (which I tend to do) then I am going to play the type of character I prefer to play rather than what may or may not be expected of people of my gender.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    "Creepy"? only to someone who is not mature and still think women have cooties.

plenty of reasons for a male player to play a female character
    -Would rather look at the rear end of a women then a guys, as said above
    -They think the female character models look better (which they generally do in a lot of games) and would rather look at something decent looking then ugly, male or female.
    -The kind of character they had in mind just so happens to be female. I play several female characters in RPGs simply for the reason that the character concept i had in mind was for a female character.
    -story or character wise the female player character might be better sometimes. Take Femshep in Mass Effect for example, or the City Elf origin in Dragon Age: Origin.

anyway, a good rule of thumb, is if you see a female character, expect it to be a guy playing, simple fact is, Women are a minority in Gaming in the first place, and the ones that DO play MMOs tend to keep that the are women quiet to avoid the obvious losers that stalk the internet

also, MMORPG = Many men Online Role Playing Girls B)
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Here's some food for thought (Cuz I know your brains were getting hungry)

Why would player gender even matter?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    helixsunbringerhelixsunbringer Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    gradii wrote: »

It really doesn't. Though there are reasons for why character gender might matter in some games... such as Perfect World International where the Venomancer (female) and Berserker (male) classes are gender locked.

And before people rag on me for mentioning another game... I think I am safe as Perfect World International is another ARC game, and thus part of the same super company that is responsible for Star Trek Online.
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    Just remember everyone:

GIRL, on the internet, means Guy In Real Life. :P
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Considering how often women gets harassed and have unwanted sexual propositions by creepy dudes in game if they do disclose their gender widely, I doubt you'll get them to tell you. The very fact that you a) ask this question and b) find the fact that the "girl" you're talking to might be played by a dude makes me think you're one of them OP.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    glenn#1579 wrote: »
    I have noticed something very creepy. There are a great many "female" characters in the game but they all seem to be chaps.

Do we actually have any female players? Are they all middle aged guys living with their parents eating KFC?

Just wondering?

Yes, there are female players. Less of them.
    I have a LOT of chars and some of them are female. Happily married and own my own home and won't eat garbage. Why is it "creepy" ? Its called "role playing". Ive played roughly 50% females and males since D&D used pencils and computers ate cardboard instead of reading disks ... those pen and paper games didnt even have an avatar to oogle. Its called using your imagination, trying something different, what have you. Several of my females are not what one would call attractive either (based off TV/movie norms which can be argued against but lets accept it for a moment). One is a talaxian that looks like she came out of a 1980s punk club after catching a pox. One is a bald zombie (kobali). Its not sexual, in other words, its *role playing* in the classic sense, like acting for a movie.

• Options

It really doesn't.

One basic tenet of Roleplay is that there is a definite difference between the player and their character. The character is their own entity with their own wants, likes, hates, and problems as well as talents, etc. It is the players job to bring that made up person to life.

For instance it would be considered bad roleplay if my character mentioned something he or she had no reason to know about just becuase I the player happen to know it.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    People play video games. Some players have genital 'outies'; some have genital 'innies'.

A lot of people also play various various alien species that they are not in real life. Many people also play multiple characters even though they are not, infact, multiple people. They also fly around space pew-pewing lasers at everything in sight.

Massively Multiplayer Online Games are a communal fantasy where people can experience something extraordinary from their daily lives. I can understand how this might be confused with a Social Media Platform - which is a communal place to share the mundane ordinary of every-day life.

If this is more a question about the psychology of why there are more female characters, I would conjecture that it is because the female form is more appealing to modern culture - regardless of sex. How you feel about that is your own responsibility.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I've noticed something even creepier... There are a lot of Vulcans, Romulans and Klingons in this game, and none of them have so far been actually Vulcans, Romulans or Klingons! Is there something wrong with this people?

Mustrum "Yes, there is, I know, my main is a Vulcan" Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    I play female characters on RPGs because I like a strong female lead
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
      STO is no different than any of the other games I've played. In my experience, the number of female characters in many games tends to be pretty high while the number of female players tends to be something of a minority. Maybe it's the nature of the beast, or some such.

I'm currently running about half and half between male and female characters. Their sex was determined simply by whatever theme I wanted to go with for that character. I will say that I may be one of those rare hetero-sexual males who will move the breast slider down a bit instead of cranking the size to max. :p
      Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
      jH7LGEi.jpg
    • Options
      glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
      I knew I would need my flame shields on this one.

As far as some of the females are concerned This wasn't about you.

My point was that a great many guys play as girls. You can always tell them, they always have unfeasibly large knockers.

I was not having a pop at anyone. I was just saying.

I'll get my coat.
    • Options
      angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      I have 3 male and 3 female characters *shrugs* pig-16.gif​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • Options
      lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
      Here is how to tell that you are looking at a guy.
      1: If the "female" has giant TRIBBLE, that is a guy.
      2: If the "female" is an Orion, that is a guy.
      3: If the "female" is wearing next to nothing, that is a guy.
      4: And the less and less the "female" is wearing, the younger and younger that BOY is.

So, how can you tell if that female character genuinely is a female player?
      1: The TRIBBLE are at minimum.
      2: The body is fully-clothed, and professionally dressed.
      3: If you see ear rings, the face has makeup, and the face itself looks like she has spent 8 HOURS of going through every little detail to make her look beautiful.
      I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
      My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
      Click here to view my DeviantArt.
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User

Just wondering?

Maybe some of us players both male and female prefer a strong female lead, I'm male yet I play a female delta recruit. I based her on Ellen Ripley from the Alien movies
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        I've noticed something even creepier... There are a lot of Vulcans, Romulans and Klingons in this game, and none of them have so far been actually Vulcans, Romulans or Klingons! Is there something wrong with this people?

Mustrum "Yes, there is, I know, my main is a Vulcan" Ridcully

Ahahaha best post so far in this thread!

• Options
        warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
        That's not creepy. Creepy is the people who come ask about it, presumably with the intent of making perverted suggestions to any "real girls" they can find.

As for the giant TRIBBLE, it's not the players' fault the game doesn't allow small-breasted women.
      • Options
        arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
        edited December 2015
        warpangel wrote: »
        As for the giant TRIBBLE, it's not the players' fault the game doesn't allow small-breasted women.
        are we playing the same game? if you set the slider to minimum they're barely there.​​
        Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
        We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
        We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
      • Options
        ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
        edited December 2015

Just wondering?

Maybe some of us players both male and female prefer a strong female lead, I'm male yet I play a female delta recruit. I based her on Ellen Ripley from the Alien movies

^ This.

I'll be honest, i'm a guy, and i play a female Caitian as my main (although many of my alts are dudes all the same). I chose that species so as to play something more interesting than a mere Human. And that's it.

http://alexdraco06.deviantart.com/art/Star-Trek-Online-Vice-Admiral-H-srassk-440516327

I leave the cat girl kink to those who enjoy it...
      • Options
        mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
        lindaleff wrote: »
        4: And the less and less the "female" is wearing, the younger and younger that BOY is.

3: If you see ear rings, the face has makeup, and the face itself looks like she has spent 8 HOURS of going through every little detail to make her look beautiful.

actually not true, I have found the OPPOSITE to be true in fact sometimes. A lot of guys who play female characters tend to have fully armoured characters, many have lots of scars and looks like the general of some army. It is the FEMALE players i have seen that wear a lot less and use the "sexual" stances a lot more.
      • Options
        anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
        arrmateys wrote: »
        warpangel wrote: »
        are we playing the same game? if you set the slider to minimum they're barely there.​​

The secret isn't even in the bust size slider, but really a combination of the bust size and chest depth sliders. Set chest depth to half and you'll find that the bust sizes are now within the realm of reality. Even the default 4.5 of 5 bust size for Orion females becomes just on the larger size of normal with a middle-set chest depth slider.
        This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
      • Options
        risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
        edited December 2015
        "Creepy"? only to someone who is not mature and still think women have cooties.

plenty of reasons for a male player to play a female character
        -Would rather look at the rear end of a women then a guys, as said above
        -They think the female character models look better (which they generally do in a lot of games) and would rather look at something decent looking then ugly, male or female.
        -The kind of character they had in mind just so happens to be female. I play several female characters in RPGs simply for the reason that the character concept i had in mind was for a female character.
        -story or character wise the female player character might be better sometimes. Take Femshep in Mass Effect for example, or the City Elf origin in Dragon Age: Origin.

anyway, a good rule of thumb, is if you see a female character, expect it to be a guy playing, simple fact is, Women are a minority in Gaming in the first place, and the ones that DO play MMOs tend to keep that the are women quiet to avoid the obvious losers that stalk the internet

also, MMORPG = Many men Online Role Playing Girls B)

Or they simply want female characters because there were females in Star Trek?

Also, it's quite pathetic, imo, to create a female character just so you can look at her rear end. But I guess everyone has his or her reasons.

Oh, and OP, there's nothing creepy about it. I'd rather say it's creepy, and again pathetic, that some people in the game would start harassing people because they have a bunch of pixels that may or may not represent the true gender (hate to incorrectly use that term here, but the correct term would probably trigger the profanity filter) of that person.
      • Options
        ashstorm1 wrote: »

Just wondering?

^ This.

I'll be honest, i'm a guy, and i play a female Caitian as my main (although many of my alts are dudes all the same). I chose that species so as to play something more interesting than a mere Human. And that's it.

http://alexdraco06.deviantart.com/art/Star-Trek-Online-Vice-Admiral-H-srassk-440516327

I take offense to your use of the words "mere" and "human" together, also to your assessment of humans as "uninteresting". I main a human becuase that's easily one of the most interesting species IN Star Trek, every other species present tends to be based off some aspect of humanity.

• Options
        ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
        edited December 2015

Just wondering?

^ This.

I take offense to your use of the words "mere" and "human" together, also to your assessment of humans as "uninteresting". I main a human becuase that's easily one of the most interesting species IN Star Trek, every other species present tends to be based off some aspect of humanity.

I meant no offense, sorry if you took it. Still, my opinion stands about Human characters being less interesting to play than aliens in MMOs.
      • Options
        mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
        lindaleff wrote: »

Careful. Most of my female characters look closer to the latter than the former, and I am still a man. (I even got a woman that uses the Aged look).
        Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
      • Options

Just wondering?

^ This.

I meant no offense, sorry if you took it. Still, my opinion stands about Human characters being less interesting to play than aliens in MMOs.

Well you're entitled to your opinion, there is something to be said for doing something different, considering the subject of this thread lol.

• Options
        thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
        I have noticed something very creepy.

Why is it creepy for a male to play a female player character?

I always make my characters female, when the option is available, in most of the games I play. I try to see how physically attractive I can make 'her' because I am attracted to females and I like looking at females even if they are player characters.

OH and I have been out on my own since around 17 years of age. I'm now 45, married for about 15 years now. My wife and I own our own home. Our daughter is going to be a teenager soon in the summer of 2016. We enjoy (all three of us) going to movies based on Marvel Comics, Star Wars, and even Star Trek!! :o (•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)​​
        STAR TREK
        lD8xc9e.png
      This discussion has been closed.