test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone else suddenly having epic server latency issues and rubberbanding+SNR?

gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
Anyone else suddenly having epic server latency issues and rubberbanding+SNR? Just trying to do a fleet alert was painful as hell and I almost disconnected 3 times. Normally this game plays without a hitch and my connection is excellent fiber optic. Something must be going on with cryptic or something in between.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."

Comments

• jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I only see serious issues on Sunday afternoons from 3P-4P ET US. Outside of that it's reasonably stable.
    boldly-watched.png
  • mooncrystalpowermooncrystalpower Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    Tbh, I've been getting SUPER lag tonight, I'm afraid to even attempt an STF, lest the lag totally gets my ship wrecked ~~º(x_x)º~~
    l6aD2g7.gif
    I am the one, the ORIGINAL/Official Sailor Moon of STO! ~-~º(^v~)ºv~-~
  • darkfrontier911darkfrontier911 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I have been expierencing extreme lag and rubberbanding as well today. To the point that the game is unplayable. And it is not my connection, so has to be an issue with Cryptic.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I've noticed that things get unstable in certain ground missions, especially KAGA and IGA. Not experiencing much problems at the start, but later on, say somewhere halfway during the mission and in IGA in the last room, things become very unstable.

Not always though, and apart from these missions I'm not experiencing any problems.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    It is Christmas/Holiday time. There are a lot of people free, so they use the internet. There is business for which this time of the year is very busy. More people in game, more people on the internet. I am not surprised things get stressed.

I do have lag issues as soon there are other people on the map. Yesterday I got a dq in the winter race twice, because of controlling problems with my character. Badlands battle zone are a number of freezed screens on my system. That one is always hicky for me, but now it is no longer a game.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    Sometimes, restarting your computer clears up a lot of problems. I routinely deliberately disconnect my laptop from the network in my house and then wait a few minutes to reconnect it. Seems to clear up a great many connectivity issues with all of the Internet and not just with STO. I also use a 3d party cleaner to get rid of the trash files which browsing the Internet leaves all over my system. There are a lot of simple things one can do to improve the connection to the game. Or at least elminate your own computer's and your own net connection as things for people to point fingers at.

One of my Fleet mates suggested uninstalling ARC and STO, then reinstalling them. He had experienced DCs, lag and SNRs lately. As well as lockups of his whole system during map tranfers. I have experienced these as well recently. It's the Internet so there will always be a little bit of this unless you are cabled directly to Cryptic.

He went on tell me that since the reinstall, his problems are reduced to the point of the occasional irritation which happens very infrequemtly. I am doing this now, since I'll have to depart for work in a few minutes. ARC has already completed reinstall and STO is currently a 12GB D/L. So, it should be ready and waiting when I arrive home this evening.

I'll repost here to let you know how the reinstall worked out, OP. Yeah, it is a little like removing both kidneys to prevent kidney stones from occurring. But this is the Internet. "Weird is just part of the job."

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    deokkent wrote: »
    Relatively stable, but I had to reduce file streaming with low graphic settings even though my machine can handle 2+ instances of sto.

Yeah cryptic games might even be more inefficent than minecraft.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Since the last emergency patch I am having the same problem OP and it is constantly.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • earwigvr6earwigvr6 Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    I cannot really comment on the lag since I don'#t really play the game right now due to it's poor state.

I log in, run the stupid ice race for a ship I will only use int he Admirality and then log back out.

The main thing I have been sick to death of is beaming into areas and having to wait up to 15 minutes in some cases for the map to load. It just sits at 97 for an eternity before suddenly springing into life. Been like that for as long as I can remember now and it's far to much to even attempt to play the game. I can deal with a little lag here and there, but no way am I spending more time waiting for maps to load than actually playing.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    The only map I see that has that problem is DS9. ESD doesn't lag like that...there's some, but not to DS9 levels. I might go check out Starbase 39 and K-7 as well just to see if there's any consistency.
    boldly-watched.png
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    Just got in from work and fired up the game. I tend to lower the graphics level quite a bit since I prefer performance over pretty. I had forgotten just how pretty this game can be. I had also forgotten about some of the setting which are not autosaved. Such as Auto Loot. Oops. lol.

Anyways, as I stated earlier, I intended to come back and report on my reinstall. So far, things are going flawlessly and I've experienced none of the problems I was most concerned over. I have not yet taken my laptop and connection deep into the edges of the envelope hunting for problems, though. While what I did may be a little too drastic( or time consuming) for some, initial results are looking good.

Something else I forgot to mention earlier is turning off the things running in the background. Yes, this is obvious advice. Being obvious does not make it less valid or effective.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    yeah, if I'm having really bad lag, it's usually because of something outside STO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • earwigvr6earwigvr6 Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    JI had forgotten just how pretty this game can be.

wow, if you think this game is pretty I really hate to see what you would class as unpretty !

This game is so dated it's not even funny. :disappointed:

• kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    There certainly is problems. I saw at least 3 disappear from the game just yesterday. Whatever is happening, it needs to stop. This is not funny at all :|
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    I haven't had very many lag problems lately and I run with the settings pretty high. Once in awhile I'll experience some lag or a bit of rubberbanding, but no delayed map loading or anything else. Then again, about all I run besides STO is my yahoo messenger.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • mixiplix777mixiplix777 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    pingplotter is a great utility.

it's usually the hop before last that is complete TRIBBLE. always in the 700ms range.