test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Delete AMD Crimson update and load older 15.7.1 Catalyst drivers

My fix for the stuck loading screen was to delete the AMD Crimson driver files and replace with the older 15.7.1 Catalyst driver files.

Comments

• Options
    jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Helps if I added a how-to.

First you need to know what operating system your PC uses and which video card you have.

On your desktop, right click your Computer System Icon and click on Properties. Under the header "Windows System" it should say something like Windows 7. Under "System", look for System Type. It should say something like 64-bit.

Now we need to find out what video card you have. Look on the left column and you should see a link "Device Manager". Click on it and a new window should appear. Look for "Display Adapters" and click on the arrow to the left. It should show which model video card you have.

Go to this website http://support.amd.com/en-us/download and go to the "Manually select your drivers." Click on the options to match what you found out earlier. It should then bring you to a page with the newest Crimson drivers. Look on the right side for "Download Previous Drivers & Software." Click on 15.7.1 to download.

Then go to this page to read how to uninstall the Crimson drivers and install the old Catalyst drivers http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/catalyst-windows-install.aspx

When you uninstall your drivers, your computer screen will change. Don't worry about it. Once the new-old drivers are installed, it will go back to normal. And don't forget to restart your PC after uninstalling the Crimson drivers.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    jtneatjtneat Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The new drivers are there for a reason and im not rolling back drivers every time to play STO, then update them again to play another game... just because nobody wants to fix STO. Bye bye STO.
    As it is, i have to endure the brightness being altered across my monitor through my drivers because someone made the game so damn dark. Yes the game settings for brightness are globally altered through the drivers directly. After the game crashes the brightness on my desktop is horrendous until i hit advanced options on my drivers.

This game is starting to become malware.
    Soon i`ll email anti-virus companies to add this game to their database detection list. (For realz)
  • Options
    cassiusdiocassiusdio Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    uhm i just updated to catalyst 15.11 and sto crashes on loading screen...any official statement from cryptic?
  • Options
    jtneatjtneat Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    How i got it working with New Crimson software and drivers.
    Try selecting safe mode under options in the launcher. From there ingame select DX9 for graphics display settings (Direct3d 9), also select NONE in the Anti Aliasing option and over ride that setting in the amd driver options to your preference.
    After this it loads up just fine and not had an exe crash. No DX11 though :(

Until there is an update fix that's all i got.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    No official word, that I've seen at least, but that's Cryptic's usual M.O.

Just ignore it, until it costs them money.

Using my headphones STILL crashes the game in combat, every time, and that's a bug that started with LAST YEAR'S winter event. They know what it is and what causes it, but no fix.
  • Options
    nenfisnenfis Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Same problem, but I'll keep this thread up until it gets fixed .

Ticket: #151205-001725
  • Options
    I have answered the ticket indicating that puts an earlier driver is not resolved and if they pass the diagx .
    I was the last but I put the DX9 works . To see if they used the information.
  • Options
    captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Same problem here. Switching from DX11 to DX9 fixed the crashing for me. I'm able to play fine now using the latest Crimson drivers.
  • Options
    After passing the information to support dxdiag , I have indicated that do not support windows10 ( that well !! ) and that put the previous drivers windows7 .
    It seems we have to wait to fix it amd because they think not. Those who pay a subscription to take this into account if they want to play with you pagen DX11 AMD this month , not perfect world.
  • Options
    sig442sig442 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I had no problems at all with my Windows 7, but after installing Windows 10... All kinds of trouble. STO does not seem to be the only game that is having issues with this combination (Radeon R9 200 series + Windows 10). For some reason the other games do work with little efford, but STO... Nope... It's so very annoying (without swearing and cussing) that the STO team does nothing about the problem even after they had so much time to fix the issues. Microsoft couldn't care less obviously and AMD doesn't try to help out either. So anyone who is having these issues is either forced to roll back to Windows 7 or keep the problems as they are. Very immature from Cryptic, Microsoft and AMD if you ask me. After paying so much money to get new ships etc. I hate to be treated like this! I mean, come on... I payed over 600 Euro for ships etc simply because Cryptic refuses me to get a life time account because I can not pay with a creditc card, and now this???? Once again very disappointing Cryptic!
  • Options
    dev1961dev1961 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    its a cryptic prob not amd.having same issue r9270 and windows 10. have a lot of games only prob is with pwe/cryptic, they've never even tried to work with amd. back to star wars for me.
  • Options
    zanibarzanibar Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I'm also getting the Dx type errors as the drivers apparently drop working and lock up my screen. after existing I have filled out the Cryptic error box, but heard nothing back yet. Running a R( 390 card.
  • Options

I have solved the problem being able to play with DirectX11 . I turning the bloom effect , I spent a couple of images as I have set and now if I work.

http://imgur.com/Yix4GQL
    http://imgur.com/PEgvGKc

I hope you help
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    jtneat wrote: »
    The new drivers are there for a reason and im not rolling back drivers every time to play STO, then update them again to play another game... just because nobody wants to fix STO. Bye bye STO.
    As it is, i have to endure the brightness being altered across my monitor through my drivers because someone made the game so damn dark. Yes the game settings for brightness are globally altered through the drivers directly. After the game crashes the brightness on my desktop is horrendous until i hit advanced options on my drivers.

This game is starting to become malware.
    Soon i`ll email anti-virus companies to add this game to their database detection list. (For realz)

I'm with you there. Been playing since Day 1, bought a life sub 3 or 4 years ago, bought every KDF and Romulan ship that ever came out but I'm not about to roll back to an older version of the driver just for STO. Crimson works great with all of my other games (including Cryptic Champions Online and Neverwinter). I will still try to log on now and then but I won't do any changes to my system just for this one game.

Also, I had submitted a ticket to Cryptic and they told me the problem was with WIndows 10, not Crimson. STO still does not support Windows 10...
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    nenfis wrote: »
    I have solved the problem being able to play with DirectX11 . I turning the bloom effect , I spent a couple of images as I have set and now if I work.

I hope you help
    Well it would be nice if we could get that far. The game crashes at the New Dawn loading screen. Safe mode doesn't work either.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    nenfis wrote: »

I hope you help
    Well it would be nice if we could get that far. The game crashes at the New Dawn loading screen. Safe mode doesn't work either.

It almost worked. Safe Mode actually let me in... once. I had already adjusted those setting through Crimson so I did not even have to change anything. It worked well for maybe 3 minutes but the moment I tried entering a new zone the gameclient crashed duiing map transfer and I have never been able to get back in since then. Safe Mode crashes at the loading screen just like standard mode. I'll check again in a few days but since this has been going for a month now I get the feeling it's not about to be corrected. Back to Neverwinter or The Old Republic.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS