test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best Weapons and Shields Against the Vaadwaur?

trumpetmaster29trumpetmaster29 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
Anyone have tips for battling them? They seem to be the most difficult to beat, with me dying a half dozen times before I take one out.

Comments

• pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Buff against polaron and kinetic. They do mostly polaron and kinetic damage so if you have high resistance to both you'll last longer.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Also, the best defense is sometimes a good offense. There are many builds discussed in the forums that focus on maximizing DPS ... and if you kill the Vaadwaur before they hit you then then that's as good as any defense.

One last tip, have evasive maneuvers, Auxiliary Power to Inertial Dampeners, and anything else that can help your ship move on standby ... so you can get out of the way when the Vaadwaur launch that Polaron barrage (when the targets light up all around you).
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Use whatever floats your boat. The Vaadwaur are just more dumb NPCs that are easily trashed and curbstomped into the pavement. There's nothing, no content related to them that warrant a different playstyle nor specialization in a build. You can take zero Polaron and Kinetic Resists and flat out weak Tetryons and stomp them into the dirt just fine.

Show your disregard to the dumb NPCs of this game and just flat out stomp them with whatever you can find.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • coruunascoruunas Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    Speed is your best defense. I've only ever been killed by vaaudwaur when trapped in a multiple polaron barrage
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    Yep, speed is by far the best defense against the Vaadwaur. If you've lost all your speed and the Vaadwaur are about to hit you with their barrage, brace for impact, aux to SIF, basically use anything to strengthen your hull because it's going to hurt.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • saleh01onesaleh01one Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    As much as I hate to say it, BFAW works best, due to their constant use of tricobalt mines/torpedoes, and constriction anchors. BFAW will kill all those, letting you keep speed up. However, against pretty much all the other Delta Quadrant races, Surgical Strikes or CRF are best, since they don't appear in the hordes that the Vaadwaur appear in.
    Markus Elijah Lee - USS Skylake, Fleet Arbiter Battlecruiser T6: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=ussskylake_8710

K'Nor - IKS Ch'Tang, Mat'Ha Raptor T6: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=ikschtang_8710
  • dannalistdannalist Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    okay so on the ground dose the Voth Antiproton shock trooper cannon do well against them or not
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Totally agree with several posters here...keep moving. Speed kills them. If they can keep you still they will cook you, but if you keep moving through their killing fields...you will whittle them down.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

edited December 2015
    dannalist wrote: »
    okay so on the ground dose the Voth Antiproton shock trooper cannon do well against them or not

You do not need special equipment to fight the Vaadwaur any opponent in this game except for EV suits for certain environments, much less Lobi Store items. Space or Ground.

For ground, a bigger issue is what kit modules you're using and what abilities you have slotted for your BOFFs as well as what BOFF types you bring. A SCI BOFF or two for health heals, for example.

If you're talking Kobali BZ, just systematically work your way through the map and not aggro everything around you. The only spot you have to be careful around is in the trenches of the west-central area of the map. There are numerous spawn points there that are relatively close to each other.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • dannalistdannalist Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I was asking beacuse I have fifty lobi crystals and am debating between the weapons.
    dannalist wrote: »
    I was asking beacuse I have fifty lobi crystals and am debating between the weapons.

I recommend holding onto the Lobi. Get yourself your favorite weapons because it doesn't matter. Assuming you're new and don't have fancy gear, get yourself cheap Mk IX or XII Polyalloy armor to ensure your general combat resists are all covered with no gaps. Polyalloy Armor is a very safe route because it has pretty decent Energy resists and very high Physical and Kinetic resists. Unless you're fighting stuff like enemies with toxic attacks, Polyalloy is a very safe, very cheap route of protection. But your BOFFs and how they're skilled up play a larger role. A very quick, down dirty, maybe overly simplified route?

Take yourself a balanced away team if you're talking Kobali BZ but if you want to be safe and ensure highest survival, take ENG and SCI only. If your paranoid about heals you can take a very conservative route and have 2 members of the away team be capable of doing health heals. Whether it's your character doing heals (SCI Captain) + 1 SCI BOFF, or 2 SCI BOFFs with heals, it doesn't matter. An ENG BOFF with Shield Recharge may help a little bit. Some examples of generic ground BOFF skill setups for ENG & SCI

ENG: Shield Recharge I (can be used on other characters), Reroute Power to Shields I (self shield heal only), Chroniton Mines III (Ground NPCs have a tendency to like running to you at times), Turret Fabrication III (bring extra firepower)
    or
    ENG: Shield Recharge I, Chroniton Mines II, Turret Fabrication II, Reroute Power to Shields III (can be bought cheap on exchange)

For SCI:
    SCI: Tachyon Harmonic I, Medical Tricorder II (health heal), Vascular Regenerator II (health HOT with minor resist), Nanite Health Monitor II
    or any other SCI combo that grants all 3 health heals.

Work Kobali BZ piecemeal. Do not get engaged with more groups of NPCs than you can't handle. 1 group at a time if need be and if that gets too easy, then take on more until you feel confident knowing what you can and can't handle. That varies between players. This is very important once you get into the western, central part of the map with the trenches because there are many spawns that are close to each other. Slowly, systematically slice the pie up that is the Battlezone and you'll be doing it easily soon enough.

Some things of interest regarding the Vaadwaur when combating them on the ground:

If you're shooting at one of them and doing zero damage, pay attention to the special effects. One of that target's friends has targeted him and reinforcing his shields so that he's immune. Target that NPC that's giving the buff and kill him. The other guy is now vulnerable.

Some of the story missions, especially towards the end of the Delta Quadrant content, will have these drones flying around attacking you or shield reinforcing someone. Take the latter out ASAP because it usually is targeting the mission critical NPC.

Again, you don't need exotic, expensive gear to deal with the Vaadwaur. Be cautious and defensive with how much you take on at any given time at first. Once you feel more confident, then get bolder and bolder.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    ^ This. Seriously.

Frankly, use Kit powers before pulling the trigger. I use an Elite Fleet Phaser Split Beam rifle on ground with no problems no matter the enemy. Vaadwaur are punks compared to Iconians. Everything is "easy" compared to Iconians :P
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    coruunas wrote: »
    Speed is your best defense. I've only ever been killed by vaaudwaur when trapped in a multiple polaron barrage

this. I easily defeat the vaadwaur in t5 ships with a nugget l 50
    Spock.jpg