test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

-=Awesome! Exchange Price Cap Is Being Raised to 750M!=-

Comments

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    I thought it was going up to 1bn now only 750m why the change?

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    The limit was revised down to 750M probably because of the 1B player wallet limitation.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    k
    Yep, there are certain problems inherent with having the exchange cap be the same as the ec cap.

If you listed an item at 1b, you'd have to have 0ec and also have no other items on the exchange to be protected against loss because of overflowing the cap.

Never came close to the 1b cap, but I had issues prior to getting the EC cap unlock at 10 million and I never understood why overflowing EC wouldn't simply be transfered to the account bank (I don't know what's the limit here, but it could ease some of the impact).​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • posvaliposvali Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    The thing is there is no consistency with policies here. With some aspects of this game the developers try to create balance between possibilities for "new" and "old" players, unlike here where the balance goes (again) in favour of "old" (rich-est) players. Prices are definitely too high already. Not to mention the problem of resseling items for higher price just to make profit and not actually use the items. How about this solution: items once bought on the exchange cannot be sold again (become bound or something like that)? However, in rl we have same situations. Greed and other flaws, vices, sins, call it whatever you like, will always be there. Let us just not feed the greed.
    And let's stay civil when communication with each other, thank you.
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    posvali wrote: »
    The thing is there is no consistency with policies here. With some aspects of this game the developers try to create balance between possibilities for "new" and "old" players, unlike here where the balance goes (again) in favour of "old" (rich-est) players. Prices are definitely too high already. Not to mention the problem of resseling items for higher price just to make profit and not actually use the items. How about this solution: items once bought on the exchange cannot be sold again (become bound or something like that)? However, in rl we have same situations. Greed and other flaws, vices, sins, call it whatever you like, will always be there. Let us just not feed the greed.

The balance that benefits the rich players by a sorely unjust measure by my definition isn't balance at all. Other than that, I agree. Unfortunately, I'm likely in the minority. There is a lot of greed at the exchange and malice being spoken here and there's none you or I could do about it.
  • chemistrysetchemistryset Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    ... How about this solution: items once bought on the exchange cannot be sold again (become bound or something like that)? ...

Bad idea. Once in a while I´m buying items (traits or whatever) on the exchange and give them to my fleeties.

The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains is great news for stupid people.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    ... How about this solution: items once bought on the exchange cannot be sold again (become bound or something like that)? ...

Bad idea. Once in a while I´m buying items (traits or whatever) on the exchange and give them to my fleeties.

I agree, bad idea.

The game economy is what it is because someone decided that the C-Store items (including keys) will cost as much as they do based on other F2P MMOs for the purpose of optimizing their profits to a point where it will likely be highest without risking player turnover and disinterest in the game for new players, the drop rates of lockbox items will be super rare, the demand on those items will always be at an all time high, the number of in-game activities rewarding the sums of Dilithium and EC (directly and indirectly) will be what they are, promo ship events will only run and re-run within certain periods of time, item mark, tier, and rarity increases will be set at a probability rate and increased at certain points in the game (ex. epic Doffs), etc.

The net result of these price set points and artificial scarcity is giving the perception in game that items are so highly desirable and the means to acquire them without paying large amounts of cash to zen too difficult/grindy that the tipping point (pay for it instead of acquire it in game by playing it) is very high. In other words, it is a way to have the player base itself justify the high price points and artificial scarcity.

The EC, Dil Exchanges, and private trades allows the free market to balance itself and keep itself in check. It isn't easy at all to determine those set prices and scarcity/events/RNG and those elements (free market) keep it rolling. Monopolies aside, things are as they are primarily because of what they were set out to be, and because enough people buy them.

The real problem I have with all this is how much of those profits above keeping the lights on and the show rolling get reinvested into the game. The suits could well have decided at some point that the game engine on the MMO market may start seeing a loss and so expanding its potential (Eg. PvP, gameplay expansion, bug fixes, server stability) no longer as viable as using these funds towards some other game (STO2) or one that may not have anything to do with the IP altogether. CBS is undoubtedly seeing the popularity as well as profiting off of PWE, but I suspect a large part of this is in the hands of PWE and the extent to which they are able to see how much (or perhaps little?) the IP contributes to its success so that CBS doesn't pull the plug as they have with the series for so many years until only recently.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Aaaand big surprise! It happened exactly as predicted. Vonphs were initially put on the exchange for the maximum price of 750m, then were immediatly undercut by someone who put it up for 700m, then 675m, 649m, 639m, 625m.. and all this happend in just 10min.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Aaaand big surprise! It happened exactly as predicted. Vonphs were initially put on the exchange for the maximum price of 750m, then were immediatly undercut by someone who put it up for 700m, then 675m, 649m, 639m, 625m.. and all this happend in just 10min.

Impossible! Greed says it should go the other way! :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Of course it did, it forced people to compete with each other instead of bagging the highest price through chat channels
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User

Keep an eye out, at how fast they sell, and how fast the prices of new ones shift higher!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2015

So...just 5 of them listed ? hmmmm

I'm not home yet, are there any Annorax vessels posted ?

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    I wouldnt use vonphs as the test subject anyways because theyre a permanent fixture. Pay attentiom to sheshars over the next few days as theyre the active promo of the week. Vonphs will inevitably go down because A) its not REALLY that great of a ship, amd B)Theres no time gate on the ability to obtain them (granted SOME sheshar promo packs will linger after thr event, its still a very limited supply vs the millions of herald lockboxes that are dropping)
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Promo ships get more expensive AFTER the event.

*Facepalm*
    edited December 2015
    Thats the whole point
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Sheshars will be bellow 500m permanently. (I hope lol.... I need to buy a few for my alts lol...)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • ancientfighterancientfighter Member Posts: 112 Arc User

nope, until the moment the most expensive ship there is temporal science vessel. 750m.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Temp scis at 750 mil. Niceeeee
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    Aye unless theres another annorax event theyre not going down any. If we dont see another event soon, theyll be 1B + keys in a few months. 750m wells though thats interesting, probably "just because they can") there have been one or two regularly up for 500m the last few weeks
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User

So...just 5 of them listed ? hmmmm

Annoraxes were at least 900m already.

750m cap isn't high enough for annoraxes.

Ahh thanks D
    and ancient fighter...still at work here.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg

Perhaps it is indeed a somewhat bad idea if it involves severe restricitions as "bound to character" and "bound to account", especially so when you want to give items purchased from the exchange to your fleetmates. Make it "bound to fleet"? Or if you are helping a friend from a different fleet and faction - "bound to buddies", lol. And so on.

Joking aside, It is definitely not a bad idea if its intention is prevention of reselling for the sake of profit making and inflating prices, speculating and manipulating the market for selfish reasons. Make it "after purchase you cannot sell this item again" (or any more suitable wording)?

A digression in a more general direction, not entirely unrelated:

Black market? We have that? I got few mails offering ships/items for $$$ but it never crossed my mind even to consider those offers. 750M or 900 lobi for a ship? Ok, go ahead, knock you self out. I did. And I will probably buy more ships from that Ferengi at Drozana or unknown seller at the exchange. But not from a third party outside the game.

Free market as a regulator of economy will eventually lead to a complete disaster. And there is no free market when supply and demand can be manipulated. Resources are not always available and are always limited.

Any game or competition is more fun when oponents are equal or at least not far from being equal. It also provides oppurtunity for learning and advancing. Helpless bug squishing was fun for the first... 3 minutes. Every minute beyond that triggered (in)sanity alarms. In my case, at least. Another analogy would involve ice cream but i will not write about it. Will just go get some. For a fair price and in a modest quantity.

If you (not only the quoted fellow player) reached this far reading this text I thank you for your attention and patience and hope it was fun read even if you dissagree with some or all of it.

Have fun playing STO :)
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    there are 13 vonphs on the ex currently from 750 down to 600m

a few pages back you called it, price drops with every post... lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The only two ships I did not see was the Annorax and Strike Ship/Recon Ship. The Sheshars and Vonphs were plentiful. I was surprised to see the Temporal Science up at max. There were two, one was below by about 10 or so million.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Interesting thread.

Some of the conclusions I'm seeing people draw are downright entertaining. I'm particularly fond of the ones explaining how the STO economy works and reacts to things from the perspective of the space poor. I like these because I am also space poor, and I know what it's like to want to understand something I know nothing about.

I am digging this new 750m EC cap on the exchange, but it'd be nice if the error message for trying to post something over 750m didn't say the limit is 500m.
    /channel_join grind
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2015

You can try selling your items for higher than what's searchable in the Exchange all you want. Unless there's a massive buying frenzy to capitalize on, your exorbitantly priced item will just sit on the Exchange and come back to you in your mail because nobody bought it.

Me selling some ship at double the going rate on the Exchange / market doesn't mean I'm going to get that EC. It means the sale will fail and I'll get my item back in the mail because nobody bought it.

You putting up some item at some unreasonable cost on the exchange doesn't mean you magically got that EC all the sudden.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited December 2015

You can try selling your items for higher than what's searchable in the Exchange all you want. Unless there's a massive buying frenzy to capitalize on, your exorbitantly priced item will just sit on the Exchange and come back to you in your mail because nobody bought it.

Me selling some ship at double the going rate on the Exchange / market doesn't mean I'm going to get that EC. It means the sale will fail and I'll get my item back in the mail because nobody bought it.

You putting up some item at some unreasonable cost on the exchange doesn't mean you magically got that EC all the sudden.

Thanks for the quote.The actual "reselling" mechanism is like this:
    Let's say there are exchange items listed at prices 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... etc (of any monetary unit).
    Depending on the initial budget, the speculator buys items prices at 1, 2 and 3.
    Next step is to post them for 3.5 (or any price below the next higher price that makes the initial purchase profitable).
    Result: invested 6, sold for 10.5, profit = 4.5.
    I did this to make enough to buy that JH bug ship (it was around 350M then).
    The risk is minimal should one choose wisely the items for resseling.
    Works the same with dil/zen.
    Now everyone (or those who still did not how to do it) should try and do this and possibly make a mess of the whole STO trade system. Or perhaps not. Its not that easy.
    "But, but, its legitimate to make profit!" protests the speculator, Ferengi or whatever lazy unscrupulous selfish kind he/she is.
    Is it? Why?
    But thats an different story...