test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deep Space Nine Revamp

Comments

• gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    samt1996 wrote: »
    They are working on it RIGHT NOW and it will be coming soon...

Try using the search feature next time you want to make a thread.

Um . . . no, actually, we aren't.

We announced that we were going to do it, at STLV last year, and right after we got back from STLV, we had to postpone it due to the fact that the Iconian Arc needed some last minute help, and everything else has just filed in behind that. It's still on a list of stuff we'd like to do, but it's not actively being worked on right now.

I really hope we get back to it soon, I'd love to do the work on it.

Its a sad day... but, its ok, i'll come one day...
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User

We announced that we were going to do it, at STLV last year, and right after we got back from STLV, we had to postpone it due to the fact that the Iconian Arc needed some last minute help, and everything else has just filed in behind that. It's still on a list of stuff we'd like to do, but it's not actively being worked on right now.

Out of sheer curiosity Tacofangs, for you to start a project like a DS9 revamp would you watch a whole bunch of episodes to get some sort of idea how you want to go about it? How much of a design for a project like this you would see yourself adding elements of your own imagination instead of using the episodes as a complete template? Just curious about the creative process and before I go I for one loved the work you did for ESD.​​
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Out of sheer curiosity Tacofangs, for you to start a project like a DS9 revamp would you watch a whole bunch of episodes to get some sort of idea how you want to go about it? How much of a design for a project like this you would see yourself adding elements of your own imagination instead of using the episodes as a complete template? Just curious about the creative process and before I go I for one loved the work you did for ESD.​​
    Obviously I can't speak for him, but one would hope that over the years, some interior decorators have found their way to DS9 and tidied it up a bit. Sure, it's an old station, with old components, but it could sure use a spruce up. The catch here is that some people would naturally want it as close to the canon source as possible.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    lamyrs wrote: »
    Still waiting for a Qo'Nos revamp and they are working on DS9? This game is made for the Federation :neutral:

Yep. And personally I say canon locations first rather than worry about faction bias. Then there are all the locations that aren't even in the game - I'd like a proper Andoria (that ice desert is not a location) or a K7 that has some remnant of its TOS history before Qo'Nos - which is perfectly fine - gets an ill-defined revamp.

They are working on it RIGHT NOW and it will be coming soon...

That's a shame. It was one of the big things I was really hoping for this season. I really hope it stays high up and doesn't let lost.
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    <Spam is irrelevant - Removed>
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    *moans*

Aww man. Taco said it's not happening right now. I am a sad monkey. :cry:

At least he confirmed they do have plans to revamp DS9 as soon as they get a chance. It's better than nothing.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Our DS9 will be destroyed, but luckily we'll be able to Purge the terran station and keep that instead of DS9.
    Perhaps a rename though: DS9.1​​
    flash525 wrote: »
    If DS9 is destroyed, then I petition the replacement station to be named Babylon 6.

No DS9 replacement, please, or else this:

latest?cb=20150130143622
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer

Actually, we've already done a lot of the research end. I have a huge folder structure full of screenshots broken down by area/room. We did a similar breakdown when we were building the Voyager interior. Everything has to be extrapolated and adjusted to work within the game engine, and with in game characters. the Intrepid interior is scaled up about 25% to make it "feel" right. We built it at real scale to start, and it just feels too tight.

For DS9, most of it would be taken from screenshots. However, they only actually built about 100 degrees of the Promenade. So we could invent some stuff to fill in the back side of that. Though they redressed things a lot to make it look like it was elsewhere, so a lot of that could be filled with various alternate places we did see on screen.

There's definitely areas we'd need to use our own imagination for though:

What's back behind the big airlock doors on the Promenade? (Real Answer: Plywood walls and Stage Doors)

How do the Security Holding area hook up to the Security Office? (Real Answer: It doesn't, the Holding Cells were built where Garak's and the School were)

Etc. Etc.

DS9 Ref:
    23027818934_a4f7ca124e_o.jpg

Voyager Ref:
    23573639281_0a0fae9be4_o.jpg

Building ESD was very different, because there was no reference to match.
    Obviously I can't speak for him, but one would hope that over the years, some interior decorators have found their way to DS9 and tidied it up a bit. Sure, it's an old station, with old components, but it could sure use a spruce up. The catch here is that some people would naturally want it as close to the canon source as possible.

I'm definitely one of the latter. While I agree that it doesn't make sense to look exactly as it did then, that's what *I* want to see when I go to DS9. Same way that Voyager should have gotten a face lift or two over the years, but when I visit the bridge, I want it to look like the show.

hawku001x wrote: »
    Our DS9 will be destroyed, but luckily we'll be able to Purge the terran station and keep that instead of DS9.
    If DS9 is destroyed, then I petition the replacement station to be named Babylon 6.

latest?cb=20150130143622

Ew. . . no.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    ~snip~

latest?cb=20150130143622

Ew. . . no.

Still can't believe Drexler designed that TRIBBLE.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    ^ love seeing this "Behind the scenes/How it's Made" stuff.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Perhaps a rename though: DS9.1

latest?cb=20150130143622

I like this version of DS9. It looks a lot more federation like.​​
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    kyrrok wrote: »
    ilithyn wrote: »

And you know what happens when people do that? They find a three month old thread, comment on it and the people start yelling 'Stop necroing!'.

I must agree. This is a catch 22 problem.

A rotating space station with pea shooters, mine launchers, and no shields? No deal! =)

indeed its all very well using a thread that's been active up to a week ago but anything beyond that is necroing IMO.

as for DS9 I will be happy if they just redesign it as it is in the series with a big long promenade in the centre and the habitat ring circling just around the outside of the central structure and docking ring at the very outer edge as it is now.
    they could cut down on many of the superfluous stores and convert some others lesser used ones into stalls.

the things they need to keep as actual walk in areas should be the bar, the bank, a tailors, the Replimat, the temple and the ship req area.
    above that most of the other stuff can be smaller kiosks or stalls.

of course they will need to redo the mission Second Wave to match the new layout.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Well my bad Taco I fell into the whole "if they said they want to do it that means they will!" Thing by mistake, I should've read more carefully.

I wait in breathless anticipation to see what magic you work with it. It wasn't my favorite set but I think your magic touch could spruce things up! My main concern is size, the promenade just feels small for a station of that size, of course I know it's difficult and time consuming to do it to scale. Even the makers of DS9 wouldn't. Lol
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2015

latest?cb=20150130143622

It might make sense in some kind of alternate reality, but there is no reason for the Federation to copy a Cardassian design and federationize it. They could just use something like Admiral Ross's station. Or maybe even like the Earth Starbase, since a starbase to the Gamma Quadrant might require something big and powerful as a defense line and capable of managing high amounts of space traffic.

The design looks like it one of the design drawings from the Making Of Book for Deep Space Nine. At some point they realized that if they cut the vertical rings, they finally were able to turn a Federation looking design into something alien.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User

latest?cb=20150130143622

That version of DS9 makes even less sense than the canon design of DS9 does. What purpose do those pylons serve, other then trying to look like DS9?

The canon design is really poor from a usability standpoint, and really is a large departure from Trek design where every bit is supposed to be functional, because the docking arms face in on themselves, but on the "replacement" the arms connect and are totally pointless.

The bad design (from a usability standpoint) of DS9 is part of what has caused DS9 to be one of the worst Trek shows for scaling consistency, because to use those stupidly designed docking pylons they had to rescale the station for just about every ship they ever stick at them. If I had designed DS9 the upper and lower pylons would curve out and attach to the main station on the spokes leading to the outer ring, close to the inner ring.

Of course it never made sense to keep an out of date falling apart with no replacement parts mining station for a high traffic exploration and trade route, and a key choke point and defensive position of a hostile empire, but that is what we have and I can't fault Cryptic for going with fanservice over what would actually make sense and should have happened over the course of the show, or even near the end of it.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

latest?cb=20150130143622

I like this version of DS9. It looks a lot more federation like.

No it doesn't. It looks nothing like any other Federation station at all. It just looks like a grey-scale Cardassian station.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Well my bad Taco I fell into the whole "if they said they want to do it that means they will!" Thing by mistake, I should've read more carefully.

I wait in breathless anticipation to see what magic you work with it. It wasn't my favorite set but I think your magic touch could spruce things up! My main concern is size, the promenade just feels small for a station of that size, of course I know it's difficult and time consuming to do it to scale. Even the makers of DS9 wouldn't. Lol

Don't worry about it, Al actually said in an interview, that we were starting on it. And he wasn't technically wrong at that moment. But it changed very shortly after that, and we all kind of cringed. . .
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I like the exterior design of the series DS9 and i think they represented it pretty well for the game given the constraints they have to work with.
    I know some say its not fed looking enough but don't forget its a Cardassian station that is occupied by feds and that's a big difference.
    they just need to make the interior look more like it was in the show, of course they will put there own slant on it but that's fine, time has moved on from the show period so there are bound to be some differences.

if they do a complete fed like design they will need to do an episode to show what happened with the old design to cause such a radical change.

at the end of the day players who are fans of the show will expect to see DS9 looking a lot like this

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/cgi/ds9-big.jpg

and if its not they are bound to be disappointed.

I also think when you are approaching DS9 and you see the wormhole open in the background it looks awesome.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

I miss the engineering reports but I understand secrecy is better when projects can always change. People around here are very very dense and mean.

Anyways I'm enjoying your work lately and can't wait to see more! I don't usually stop to smell the roses (so to speak) but I find it hard not to appreciate the beauty of your work. ;)

The Iconian arc was gorgeous in itself but the final episode was stunning!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Don't worry about it, Al actually said in an interview, that we were starting on it. And he wasn't technically wrong at that moment. But it changed very shortly after that, and we all kind of cringed. . .
    Yeah, and I had started believing I had just imagined things. I would really appreciate if information like this is given out quicker. Cryptic has adopted a policy (understandably) of keeping things close to the chest and only release information very late in the process, but that means that any announcements made will also be taken a lot more seriously... I know that this is probably not in your hand, but still.

Let's hope you can start working on it soon. ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    hawku wrote:

latest?cb=20150130143622

Ew. . . no.

[Hoping I didn't mess up the nested quotes here...]

While I am sad about the delay, I am VERY glad to see this. That monstrosity is one among several reasons I do not read official Treklit anymore.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User

latest?cb=20150130143622

Frontier-class station? Does it bite back? XD​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
    I see what you did there... ;)
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I've never noticed a problem with the design but think it would be a cool place to have some sort of mini discoverable missions if they were looking at it again. They could start by moving the sidequests that used to be on Memory Alpha there and then add more stuff like that to make it feel like a living station with people on it. They could have random timed events in Quarks to make visiting there worthwhile too.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I see what you did there... ;)

I always try my best. vQTD03D.png​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User

Have you considered adding DS9's new rooms to the old promenade, one a week, followed by the new promenade, instead of just all at once?
    captz1pp wrote: »

Have you considered adding DS9's new rooms to the old promenade, one a week, followed by the new promenade, instead of just all at once?

What would that accomplish?
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User

Well, we have to keep the development team close to exhaustion don't we.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited December 2015

A preview event, in the form of an in-game renovation by Starfleet, the Bajorans, Cardassians, and Ferengi. Wouldn't doing a revamp one piece at a time make it less difficult?

Maybe monthly is better then weekly.
    Post edited by captz1pp on