test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leechers in Cones of Conduct.. WTF

2»

Comments

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    When it comes to leeching and AFKing, this is Cryptic's solution.

1: Read feedback regarding AFKers and leechers. Maybe post something like, "We are deeply concerned about this, and are looking into it."

2: Do nothing.

3: Event ends.

4: No more AFKers!

5: Pat self on the back for doing such a good job getting rid of AFKers in an event.

6: Wait for next event, go back to 1.

Well to be fair its better than most automated solutions.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    spielman1 wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    If players played to win all objectives and such the leeching and trolling would end. I can see why they do it also, why try to do better when other don't even attempt to do better. look at the current PVE missions half the team doesn't care and the other half doesn't even try, you may get that one or two players in a week on PVE that try to do better each time but rare. So before you cry and complain about others, make your character and your play support for the team better and adopt a a winning attitude to get ALL OBJECTIVES. I have seen teams lose the Cones of Conduct mission simply cause they didn't care to even try and get the objectives just get what they can and move to the next mission.

And that gives people the right to sit there and not try at all? To reap all of the benefits for doing nothing at all? Even if people are doing nothing at all but making sure the main objective gets done...if they aren't doing secondaries...they're still doing more than leeches.

Problem is a lot of people aren't good and refuse to listen or learn...there is a entitlement level in this game I've never seen in another...they literally expect to be carried. Trouble is this isn't pre-dr elites...you can't be carried by a single person in pugs.

this is true there is also no form of punishment of there bad playing style. Yes they get removed from the mission for the most part except in the winter event, for a whole big wow of 1 hour. After that back to there ways now if let say they where charged for not helping ie the match pays so much dil let say 720 they do nothing so they are instead of rewarding dil they are charged that amount out of there personal dil, then things will change

so the time I was doing an STF got disconnected by the game logged back in strait away only to find I got an AFK penalty if I got charged dil as well you would be O.K. with that.

I still don't get what the big fuss is over players AFKing in the winter event as we have already established the reward is only paid for participation and if you are standing there doing nothing you get nothing who cares?

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    If players played to win all objectives and such the leeching and trolling would end. I can see why they do it also, why try to do better when other don't even attempt to do better. look at the current PVE missions half the team doesn't care and the other half doesn't even try, you may get that one or two players in a week on PVE that try to do better each time but rare. So before you cry and complain about others, make your character and your play support for the team better and adopt a a winning attitude to get ALL OBJECTIVES. I have seen teams lose the Cones of Conduct mission simply cause they didn't care to even try and get the objectives just get what they can and move to the next mission.

And that gives people the right to sit there and not try at all? To reap all of the benefits for doing nothing at all? Even if people are doing nothing at all but making sure the main objective gets done...if they aren't doing secondaries...they're still doing more than leeches.

Problem is a lot of people aren't good and refuse to listen or learn...there is a entitlement level in this game I've never seen in another...they literally expect to be carried. Trouble is this isn't pre-dr elites...you can't be carried by a single person in pugs.

this is true there is also no form of punishment of there bad playing style. Yes they get removed from the mission for the most part except in the winter event, for a whole big wow of 1 hour. After that back to there ways now if let say they where charged for not helping ie the match pays so much dil let say 720 they do nothing so they are instead of rewarding dil they are charged that amount out of there personal dil, then things will change

so the time I was doing an STF got disconnected by the game logged back in strait away only to find I got an AFK penalty if I got charged dil as well you would be O.K. with that.

I still don't get what the big fuss is over players AFKing in the winter event as we have already established the reward is only paid for participation and if you are standing there doing nothing you get nothing who cares?

Well, technically, cones of conduct doesn't actually pay based on performance, as I have gotten there just as the boss is 1% hp, and viola huge reward for doing nothing but being there!!!

So, I can definitely see where people come off complaining.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    But it's an open zone. You can't "leech" an open zone, because there's absolutely no requirement you do anything. Maybe they just plain AREN'T trying to participate in the event, and are there for any number of other reasons to be in a given area, like waiting for their pie contest CD or just plain being AFK.

Actually, you can!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Right update on possible rewards for leechers.

I had to go afk during CoC due to things beyond my control - I have a cat, enough said. I didn't to anything apart from, possibly, getting hit by snowballs and I did get some rewards, though the result was hardly overwhelming: 1 Andorian Sleigh Bell and 1 Targ Fur Earmuffs. So yea you can leech this event, but really if you're trying to get enough items for stuff this is hard a productive way of doing it.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    2 really stupid things about leeching in the winter event: the commodities will hit really low prices later on, simply wait and ec your way to nice things; or buy commodities in large lumps, sell most for a profit and then buy the stuff you want, all in far less time than the leeching method, rinse and repeat this to make as much ec as you can be bothered to.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    But it's an open zone. You can't "leech" an open zone, because there's absolutely no requirement you do anything. Maybe they just plain AREN'T trying to participate in the event, and are there for any number of other reasons to be in a given area, like waiting for their pie contest CD or just plain being AFK.

True. As already established, doing nothing in the CoC area does not affect the CoC players any more than doing nothing somewhere else in wonderland would. Yet nobody is complaining about the players who are "not participating" at the exchange desk, the race tracks, the lake, etc.

This is an "I'm just jealous because I think those dudes might be getting some reward for free" -thread.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    This is an "I'm just jealous because I think those dudes might be getting some reward for free" -thread.

The OP has an entirely valid reason to raise this as an issue... Sorry, but if people were getting the rewards for doing nothing (ie, Mirror Event), there is very legitimate reason to take issue with this and consider it a problem...

Why should people who can't be arsed to get involved, get the rewards also?

It has nothing to do with jealousy... In fact, that's actually a completely stupid suggestion, and nothing more than a naive attempt to downplay the OP's legitimate concerns...

The question is, why downplay valid concerns like this with an ad hominem (dismissing them as 'jealous') attack on the OP?​​
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    imruined wrote: »
    Why should people who can't be arsed to get involved, get the rewards also?​

Why would you care?! Way I see it, either the mission fails, and AFK-ers get nothing either, or the mission is a success, in which case I get my rewards (and I may even feel a little bit better for having completed it with 1 person less) and the AFK-er doesn't affect me at all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited December 2015
    double post

3lsZz0w.jpg
    Why should people who can't be arsed to get involved, get the rewards also?​

Why would you care?! Way I see it, either the mission fails, and AFK-ers get nothing either, or the mission is a success, in which case I get my rewards (and I may even feel a little bit better for having completed it with 1 person less) and the AFK-er doesn't affect me at all.

3lsZz0w.jpg
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    I'm to the point that as long as I do my part in the event, I don't care.

Cryptic, in my opinion, will never come up with a solution to deal with the lazy that doesn't hurt actual players, or won't be subject to abuse.

edited December 2015

True. As already established, doing nothing in the CoC area does not affect the CoC players any more than doing nothing somewhere else in wonderland would. Yet nobody is complaining about the players who are "not participating" at the exchange desk, the race tracks, the lake, etc.

ok I admit I was wrong, I was under the impression that the rewards for CoC were participation based, so convinced was I that I chose to put my theory to the test I went to the gingerbread village before the next CoC started parked myself in an area that was close enough to watch the action but not close enough to get evolved and waited for the action to start.

I was gobsmacked how many rewards I got for doing absolutely nothing, I never so much as threw a snowball or drew my winter gun and yet I got minted.
    this needs to be fixed pronto.

I was convinced I would return to this forum with enough ammo to kill this thread but at least I am man enough to admit when I am wrong.
    its true if you are outside the village you will not get a reward but if you are standing inside you will.

I have been in the zone of the snowball/lake battle as a non combatant and never got a bean why is the gingerbread village CoC so different.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The 'leechers' could simply be people who played the event earlier, then when it was done they stood where they were and started on reputation/Admiralty/Doffing/etc. and they just hadn't moved. Maybe they got up to make a sandwich. I don't know if you can tell whether they clicked on the 'join the fight' box at the beginning of the event.

For the record, I'm sure lots of them *are* leeching but I can't prove it and I don't care enough to be wound up about it. Too many other things to worry about.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
    edited December 2015
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    The OP has an entirely valid reason to raise this as an issue... Sorry, but if people were getting the rewards for doing nothing (ie, Mirror Event), there is very legitimate reason to take issue with this and consider it a problem...​

No, he doesnt as pointed out this is a open zone and people have reasons to be in the area.

What OP appears to want is forcing participation, if I am waiting to do my Daily Race and Cones of Conduct starts up I dont have the obligation to go there so OP can finish farming, Oh I am sorry, "participate" faster (so he can instance hop).

Simply put I have to be in the area but I DONT have to participate in every single even and I bet OP would love if the entire instance decided to "leech" on Fastest Game on Ice ...

This is nothing like a queue, not people appear to understand what a queue event actually is or even how to proper participate in one.

you don't have to take part just because you are in winter wonderland but if you are within the boundaries of the gingerbread village without good reason then yes you should be taking part.
    The 'leechers' could simply be people who played the event earlier, then when it was done they stood where they were and started on reputation/Admiralty/Doffing/etc. and they just hadn't moved. Maybe they got up to make a sandwich. I don't know if you can tell whether they clicked on the 'join the fight' box at the beginning of the event.

For the record, I'm sure lots of them *are* leeching but I can't prove it and I don't care enough to be wound up about it. Too many other things to worry about.

I could buy that if CoC was every 10-15 minutes but its only once an hour so I don't buy that.
    maybe if they were doing the pie eating thing or visiting Neelix ok but there is no other excuse.
    BTW there is no 'join the fight' box at the beginning of CoC.
    doing the tides of ice mission you have to physically except it with the prompt so this should at least be the case for CoC, at least that would weed out any unintentional leeching.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

edited December 2015
    f2pdrakron wrote: »

Here is the thing, you are rewarded per participation, if you just shoot some snowman and go back to idling you get the reward for shooting those snowman, if you do nothing then you get nothing.

You cannot leech in the sense you arent doing anything because the system have to be set to award rewards for participation otherwise everyone on the map would get them.

This is the same system that is implemented on Battlezones and Adventure Zones.

that's how it should be but if you read my earlier (last but one) comment you will see that is not the case, you will get rewarded even if you are doing nothing.
    indeed you wont get rewarded if you stay outside the village but when you are inside you do.