test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sick of obnoxious signatures? Here's how to hide them

chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
Look up top of the page, where you see your avatar and name. To the right are four icons - globe, envelope, star, and gear. Click on the gear and choose "Edit Profile". Now on the profile page, look at the categories on the left, and the bottom one should be "Signature Settings". At the bottom of that screen are two tick-boxes, one to hide signatures completely, and another to just strip the pictures from signatures. Note you must click "Save" !!!

I ticked both of the boxes and it has improved my forum experience immensely. Not only are my eyeballs spared, but the forums now scroll smoothly again.

Much thanks to user Angrytarg for helping me find these settings!

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Heh...
    I like looking at other posters sig's.
    While a few are annoying, most are harmless and a few are quite clever.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Or just use the mobile site....
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    Burn in hell ridiculous signatures.
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    yes the ones that has a 2h movie playing in their sig is irritating.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I just use Adblock to specifically target a few images that flash too much or otherwise bother me. If you right-click on the offending image you can choose an option to set up a filter for just that one image. That way you don't have to go all or nothing.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • maddscottmaddscott Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    THANK YOU,,, Thank you... And as a salute to your tip.. I just hide them all !!! And yes, forums scroll so much better !!
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    By Odin's fuzzy ****ing BEARD! Thank you!!
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I'd hate to have to hide them all. Some are entertaining. Video clips should only be allowed as links, though, and image sizes should be a bit more limited (you could still post links to larger images).
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    Thanks! This is very helpful.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,615 Arc User
    Very helpful, though enough have been entertaining that I'm not using this just yet.
  • cassiusdiocassiusdio Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Thank you so much!
  • plagis34plagis34 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Thank you very much for this.It gets a little annoying having to look at some peoples' signatures, especially when you see them 10 times or more in a single thread.

I wish there was a way to just make it so it they were visible with your first post and that's it.Some of you folks are pretty talented and put in some work making those.

Sadly, I will take the loss of all of them if it means I do not have to see a select few ever again.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    @plagis34, if it is the select few you're concerned about, AdBlock Plus works for me...surgical signature strikes instead of nuking them all. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Wow, great responses!

I had no idea so many people were also annoyed by the massive-signatures-out-of-control issue.
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    gulberat wrote: »
    @plagis34, if it is the select few you're concerned about, AdBlock Plus works for me...surgical signature strikes instead of nuking them all. ;)

That tis what I do. Most people's signatures are nice and tasteful if present; I find that targeted image blocks work wonders. Many thanks to the OP for reminding me of blocking signatures either way!
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • delaromadelaroma Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Well played sir ... well played.
  • tempusmagustempusmagus Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    Very nice, indeed.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    B,but, I am why not all should be hidden : P
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

i like your sig very nice :)
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter

Agreed. I just filled my daily dose of AWW thanks to you. That's why I stick with targeted signature removal. But for some of them it's really needed.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Yeah, turned them off a few days ago when I happened upon that feature. Hate some of the massive signatures people use. Most are OK, but PWE needs to put a limit to the size they are.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    Wow, I can actually read the forum threads now. Thanks for the tip. The page layout on this site is exceedingly wasteful (seriously, I only see around 4-5 messages at a time on a 30" monitor???), but at least the content I came to read is up to about 15% of the vertical page space from <5% with the signatures...
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    astrorobla wrote: »
    Wow, I can actually read the forum threads now. Thanks for the tip. The page layout on this site is exceedingly wasteful (seriously, I only see around 4-5 messages at a time on a 30" monitor???), but at least the content I came to read is up to about 15% of the vertical page space from <5% with the signatures...

I'm very glad I could help!

Flay safe, and don't forget to check your six ;)