test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I the only one disgusted at the price of the Research Lab Unlocks?

25, 50 and 100,000 Dilithium costs to get the Trait unlocks? It's bad enough how much we have to give to Fleet projects to even unlock them, but to them have to grind, grind and grind again to get them? It's pretty sick, STO.

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I am sure you are not the only one.

But it's not eating live worms, murdering innocents or a swarm of spiders crawling over my skin, so it doesn't really register on my disgust scale. It's just a very expensive game element.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If you can't affort them, don't buy them. Game's easy, you don't actually need them for anything.
  • cassiusdiocassiusdio Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Well, it is an endgame unlock and those should not be super cheap. If there would not be a carrot dangling in front of you the game would be pretty dead.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    They are powerful one-time unlocks though, well worth the cost. Locators are 50k fleet credits a pop, and you have to buy up to 5 (and upgrade them) whenever you want to change energy type.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Yes, you are.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    There is always the dil exchange if you are low on refined dil.

I personally opted not to purchase the unlocks.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    considering how useful those extra slots can be its no wonder they are so expensive
    343rguu.jpg

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,864 Arc User
    They are powerful one-time unlocks though, well worth the cost. Locators are 50k fleet credits a pop, and you have to buy up to 5 (and upgrade them) whenever you want to change energy type.

This ^

They're powerful...with how devastating Reciprocity and AHOD can be...getting access to another slot is big. Plus look at some of those rep traits...4% chance to crit...the two Tholian auxiliary ones...

There are some really great personal, rep, and ship traits out there...extra slots are awesome.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    The price is rather steep and i would not mind a reduction in cost, but extra slots are well worth the cost.
    Having said that, our fleet has not unlocked them yet. I estimate it'll be another week or so.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Yes the trait unlocks are expensive. But keep in mind that they gave us the Admiralty system as well. By reaching level 10 with the Klingons and the Federation, and by completing one cycle of the Klingon Tour of Duty assignment chain you will easily earn 100'000-150'000 dilithium. And the ToD assignment chain is repeatable. That's quite a generous source of dilithium. I'm not surprised that this new addition caused dilithium price inflation.
  • lagomorphiclagomorphic Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    I'm honestly not sure how one winds up with so many good ship traits that you need that 5th slot while still being so dil-poor that that cost is some insurmountable barrier.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,608 Arc User
    Yes, it's just you.

This is an endgame optimization not level 50 starter feature. The cost is in line with extra doff slots, vulnerability locators, etc.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    25, 50 and 100,000 Dilithium costs to get the Trait unlocks? It's bad enough how much we have to give to Fleet projects to even unlock them, but to them have to grind, grind and grind again to get them? It's pretty sick, STO.

Nah. I considered those prices cheap (less than an average upgrade round to Epic). Or at least it didn't really bother me. All you had to do was log in for ca. 12 days ahead and collect your free 8k refine limit per day. Yawn.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    But it's not eating live worms,

How dare you insult my yummy Gagh! Lol.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2015
    Does anyone know if the prices get discounts from the dilithium mine holding? It seems they don't which looks buggy.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    If anyone thinks this is a grind you should go play a Korean game... you'll be slashing your wrists by the end too. Lol
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the prices get discounts from the dilithium mine holding? It seems they don't which looks buggy.

I agree. they don't appear to get the discount from the mine. Is the armada discount supposed to apply too?

As far as the prices go, when I first looked at them, I was shocked. I bought all of them anyway about 2 seconds later. I think they are priced correctly to act as sinks and/or end game goals. Would I like them to be cheaper? sure, but I still bought them.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'd buy another of active space and starship trait right now for twice the dilithium (same number of credits) hint hint Cryptic xmas is just around the corner...
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    They are pricey...but I've had a while now to save up for them.
    By the time our lab is done, in about 2 weeks or so, ill be able to pick them up straight away. All of em'.

But I did go visit the Lab as soon as I could to scope out the prices (right when the Lab was released). I noticed they were pretty expensive, and made a point to start saving for them.

Same thing I'm doing for my T6 Wells...
    bidding my time, waiting for it's release, saving, saving, saving.

I try to plan ahead now days in STO, things have gotten so expensive, it's a good practice to take note of what new shiny's might be coming down the pipe, and what one's you'd like to have.
    Call it MMO forecasting. So to speak.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    you get 4 free characters in total. Each character can grind you 8000 dil a day, so you end up with 32k everyday. All you have to do is grind roughly 3 days to get the amount you need.

But having said that, I got bucket loads of dil and I still don't want to spend 100k on it. I could possibly spend it on the new rep gear, or upgrade all my beams etc etc.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    If anyone thinks this is a grind you should go play a Korean game... you'll be slashing your wrists by the end too. Lol
    But don't worry, you'll never get to the end.

Mustrum "One could say that *puts on sunglasses* you never heard the end of it" Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    with all the new dilithium that is thrown at players every possible sink is necessary. And I praise Cryptic here. They could have thrown their hands up and let the exchange rate max itself out long ago. But instead they are trying to keep it somewhat balanced with these sinks.

I mean I've long since given up on 130, 150, and 200. Eventually 250 will be added. But the slower we move up the better for the vast majority of players.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    A new Weekend Event that would be nice to occasionally have would be the 'Triple D'.

Dilithium Discount Days. During the Event all Dilithium costs (obviously not Exchange) are discounted by 20-30%.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »

Trait slots you buy from the fleet research lab don't benefit from the fleet dilithium mine dilithium store discount. I noticed you could see the prices at the very beginning and the prices were exactly the same after fully upgrading the lab to tier 3 in everything. Kit frames, kit modules, consoles, and secondary deflectors all seem to benefit from the dil store discount, so I'm assuming things are working as intended.

I do wish they would lower the dil and fleet credit prices on traits slots. It's hard to get FC when your fleet is maxed out in everything and armada fleets have nothing you can contribute to, except for dil which of course is needed to buy the slots.

It all boils down to a constant problem: too many dilithium sinks. Hardly anybody contributes dilithium to fleet projects because they want to upgrade equipment or trade it for zen or whatever the reason. We're left with having to choose where to use our dil. You can contribute your dil to fleet projects to earn the fleet credits you need to buy the trait slots and fleet gear, but then you're left with no dil to purchase anything.

Currently I'm putting all my dil into my KDF fleet projects because nobody else will. This means I have NO dil leftover to buy any trait slots on alts or upgrade equipment.

If I buy zen for real money I use it to get something from the c-store for myself. I never liked the idea of paying real money to trade for in-game currency when I can get that currency for free, even if it takes a little longer to get what I need.
    Post edited by monkeybone13 on