test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Time travel

All time travellers seem to come from the 29th century - no further.
wonder what happened?
Discuss :)

Comments

• Options
    ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Maybe a limitation of the time-travel tech used. There are some sci-fi universes were time travellers can only go back a certain amount of time, because it's impossible / dangerous / too difficult (calculations) / it requires too much energy to travel further. Or maybe because post-31st century beings have transcended beyond matter / normal space/time (and possibly beyond causality as we understand it) and have no more interest in the material world and the timeline's protection.
    Post edited by ladytiamat666 on
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    luddimus wrote: »
    wonder what happened?

Actually, Daniels was born in the 31st Century. Captain Archer was taken to the 31st Century (by Daniels) in 'Shockwave'.

The time-travel pod we recently encountered in 'Sunrise' originated in the 31st Century. It travelled to the 22nd century, where it was stolen.

my bad you are right, but still folks from the 35th century with better tech looking at the past and saying "that star shouldn't be dead" and coming back to fix
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    You're overthing things, capnkirk4. ;) If you think overthinking is just thinking about it, you're right, unfortunately. Time Travel without extremely strict limitations just doesn't make sense.

And the Mirror Universe as it is in STO doesn't make sense, either.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Because there's so much traveling within the time continuum, it's no doubt disrupted the whole universe, and in the 32nd century, the whole thing just implodes.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    The Vulcan Science Directorate has determined that time travel is impossible.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Why didn't Enterprise use the 29th Century...the Wells, Aeon, the cool phasers, uniforms and combadges, etc. The 31st Century and the whole Temporal Cold War was just awful.
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    You're overthing things, capnkirk4. ;) If you think overthinking is just thinking about it, you're right, unfortunately. Time Travel without extremely strict limitations just doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking that you're overthinking his overthinking of thinking about thinking about overthinking about... where was I?

One thing that often gets overlooked about time travel is movement. Earth is in motion around the Sun, so if you traveled through time even a few seconds into the past to arrive in the same exact location relative to the center of the universe, or even just relative to the Sun, you end up in empty space (or worse) rather than back on the surface of the Earth where you left it. The entire universe is in constant motion, so the time traveler either needs to be able to set a frame of reference to a physical object (probably pretty difficult) or be able to "predict" (really more referencing historical data when it comes to the past) where everything will be at his exit point. Either of these probably gets harder as you go further back.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    jbmaverick wrote: »

I'm thinking that you're overthinking his overthinking of thinking about thinking about overthinking about... where was I?

One thing that often gets overlooked about time travel is movement. Earth is in motion around the Sun, so if you traveled through time even a few seconds into the past to arrive in the same exact location relative to the center of the universe, or even just relative to the Sun, you end up in empty space (or worse) rather than back on the surface of the Earth where you left it. The entire universe is in constant motion, so the time traveler either needs to be able to set a frame of reference to a physical object (probably pretty difficult) or be able to "predict" (really more referencing historical data when it comes to the past) where everything will be at his exit point. Either of these probably gets harder as you go further back.

Interestingly enough, I just read a time travel novel that talks about relative motion and the mechanism requires an anchor object in time and space in order to travel safely. Getting fused into a wall because you picked a bad destination is bad.

The title was "In Times Like These". It was a free Kindle book the other day, but won't be now. I still recommend it though. It really manages to capture the chaos inherent in unrestricted time travel. Because timey-wimey.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Of course, it depends a lot on how it specifically works.

For example, the theory on wormhole suggests that they might be useable for time travel (if they are usable at all, can be created at all, and so on). But - you create the time travel effect by moving one end at a different (high) speed compared to the other. This leads to the passage of time being different at the two ends, which effectively allows you to travel through time. For the fast moving side, time will pass slower, so if you jump in on the slow moving end, you'll get out into the far future. The important aspect for the point in space you get out is - the wormhole exists from the moment of its creation to the moment of its destruction, and you can only travel to times where both ends exists, obviously. Since the wormhole ends will still be affected by gravity and all the other effects, it is likely that it will also be "forced" to move with the planet(s) they are placed on.

The wormhole time travel might also explain why we haven't seen any time travels yet (even though Hawking invited them to a party) - so far we have not created any wormholes yet that could serve as the "past" end.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    The 31st century may be the 'start' of the temporal cold war; with temporal agents going g back in time to counter (fix) things.
    THEY probably have contact with future people. The problem is that you have to cut it off somewhere otherwise you end up having godlike future people from a million years ahead... The point being that it doesn't make a good story.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Of course, it depends a lot on how it specifically works.

For example, the theory on wormhole suggests that they might be useable for time travel (if they are usable at all, can be created at all, and so on). But - you create the time travel effect by moving one end at a different (high) speed compared to the other. This leads to the passage of time being different at the two ends, which effectively allows you to travel through time. For the fast moving side, time will pass slower, so if you jump in on the slow moving end, you'll get out into the far future. The important aspect for the point in space you get out is - the wormhole exists from the moment of its creation to the moment of its destruction, and you can only travel to times where both ends exists, obviously. Since the wormhole ends will still be affected by gravity and all the other effects, it is likely that it will also be "forced" to move with the planet(s) they are placed on.

The wormhole time travel might also explain why we haven't seen any time travels yet (even though Hawking invited them to a party) - so far we have not created any wormholes yet that could serve as the "past" end.

Fair enough, the mechanics of time travel as a whole are kind of difficult to pin down when we haven't actually managed to succeed at doing anything beyond progressing through time at a rate of 1 second per second.

While I'm sure the actual answer is "because nobody has written the story yet that goes that far into the future," I figured one possibility is that in order to travel back in time to a reasonable area of Federation or Allied space, it would require traveling to a hostile area of space in the future for the purposes of frame of reference. People in the 35th Century might need to go through Borg Space (and maybe the Borg are actually threatening again at that point) in order to properly travel through time to reach the area they need to go to in the past. Obviously this plays pretty heavily on the relative motion thing, but given that Star Trek time travel is so loosely defined it's hard to say if that's actually a possibility. The Guardian of Forever allowed the crew of the Enterprise to travel through time to Earth, so simultaneous movement through both time and space unless 1930 Earth occupied the space of the Guardian in 2267 or the Guardian can create the type of wormhole you refer to (or some other explanation). However Kirk also used the slingshot maneuver around the Sun to travel 300 years through time back to the present but was still within the same star system. I suppose in that instance they were using the Sun as a sort of reference point, since they were using it for its gravitational pull. Most other instances of time travel that I can think of seem to involve the opening of some form of rift, so perhaps a short-lived temporal worm hole, but often times the 2 ends are very far apart. Several times in Voyager the rifts allows passage from the Delta Quadrant to the Beta Quadrant or vice versa.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    By the 31st century, they finally realize that predestination paradox means the time stream will be fixed no matter what they do. So they all party like it's 2999.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    Can we see Starfleet Medical come up with an experimental replacement for sickbay doors, an alternative to just lowering air pressure in the room, and one that will eventually be so common, they will be used on timeship's like one that will be stolen by a little-known New jersey inventor in the 22nd century?
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    luddimus wrote: »
    wonder what happened?
    I guess that's when humanity finally encounters the Great Filter.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    the other instance of TOS time travel involved a black hole and travel at warp speed, i believe it was the episode with gary seven,altho i may be wrong..............​​
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    time travel within your own universe is the most dangerous science fiction idea ever thought of and I believe the one thing the universe will never allow as such, if you do travel to a past time the chances are you will have crossed over to an alternate universe and any changes you might make wont have any major effect on that universe or on the universe you originate from because the future time period hasn't taken place in that universe yet so if you did the famous kill your grandfather paradox it wont alter a thing because chances are time would have taken a different path anyway and it could have been that he would have died shortly thereafter anyway from some accident or illness that never took place in your original universe.

this is one of the reasons the concept of the jj star trek universe works so well, we know the original time line still exists as all of the movie happens in an alternative universe and time line and for all we know any people who died due to the events in the film could have died not much later from some other event anyway, even the Vulcan home world being destroyed could have been on the cards as well from some natural disaster we are not aware of.

the only big problem is you will probably find returning to your own universe impossible as you will likely just end up in another totally different universe again and you will assume that any differences are a result if your meddling where in fact that is just how that universe is anyway.

I guess I am a great believer in predestination in as much as if time travel was ever invented we could have no effect on the long term outcome of the universe we come from or the universe we go to, we might make slight changes in say the way a certain thing happens but we haven't altered the fact that the thing happens just in the cause of it happening.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Post-29th/31st century time travelers don't have to come back into "our" time to fix things, because the 29th/31st century dudes already did it. ;)
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    Time Travel without extremely strict limitations just doesn't make sense.

798804.gif
    <3
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Post-29th/31st century time travelers don't have to come back into "our" time to fix things, because the 29th/31st century dudes already did it. ;)

They did and will do it yestermorrow.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    tragamitestragamites Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    According to some scientific minds, the universe will eventually die and that means every life form with it. Maybe we actually know when...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    kayajay wrote: »
    Why didn't Enterprise use the 29th Century...the Wells, Aeon, the cool phasers, uniforms and combadges, etc. The 31st Century and the whole Temporal Cold War was just awful.

No idea as such.

In my own headcanon, I tend to think that the 31st century were less dependant on ships for time travel. From what we saw of the 29th century, they required ships to perform time travel - whether it was transporting the ship itself or powering temporal transporters. From what Daniels said in dialouge, they'd overcome this limitation by the 31st century.

That in the game, a Wells detected a temporal distress signal and responded makes me think that 29th Century Starfleet became (no pun intended) timeless and involved itself is protecting time into the 31st century and probably beyond. Like Annorax, they probably exist outside of space-time (if only to avoid changes to the timeline that they need to repair).