test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An alternative to the winter ice race for folks with disability and motor skills issues

Altho I made several attempts [37] to try finish this race, my disabilities and motor skills damage make it impossible for me to affect this event. Maybe next year you folks could put in an alternative for those of us with similar issues. I know of several players in STO with this issue. Altho, I don't know how they are reacting, I have told my in game friends that if they talk to me about the event at all now, I will temporarily put them on my ignore list. I am that aggrieved.
Just saying...

Comments

• Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    This is why i said on TiE that I don't participate unless i'm guaranteed 3rd place. it's rediculous to be expected to race a bunch of peopel constantly over the ONLY winter mark grinder. Summer event has two...

i'll say it again for emphasis...

THE SUMMER EVENT HAS TWO

One you race for... and one you can pay 150 favors to get an egg for.

At LEAST put the damn tags back in snowpiles.... after sifting 4-5 stacks of snowballs to test if there even was a "return" of them to snow... yea... not really and if so they're so rare that i'm not even gonna waste my time collecting ten stacks of snow to get 1 frelling tag.​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    It would be nice to have more support for disabled people playing the game. I've got a visually impaired friend who wanted to try the game, and she couldn't really enjoy it, as it wasn't too disabled-people friendly. But, probably harder done than said - but in case this sometimes does come into consideration - there are people who have disabilities and think would be happy if they could enjoy the game more. :3
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    ruffiansevenruffianseven Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    I agree people with disabilities should be taken into account. The motor and other skills needed to navigate the course require a bit more than the regular game. I did not think I was going to be able to win the race, but fortunately with much practice I figured out how to win. I know some players have said in other threads they have done it in a hand cast, but there are other disabilities that I believe may prevent a player from winning. Spending Lobi for a ship that is free to others seems discouraging. I do like the account-wide unlock for the ship. I am enjoying Qs Winter Wonderland. My hope is that everyone can.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    While not an optimal solution... if you have a friend who you trust w/ your login to run the race on your toon. You could get the ship that way. Race only takes a couple minutes at most to run, so not a huge imposition I would think.
  • Options
    reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I heard that you can fail the race and restart it a few times until you get no opponent and then you can just walk the course. This is the best option for people with disabilities at this time but I agree that something more should be done. This is for the race for the ship. I don't bother with the other one. I get my marks elsewhere.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    So you ignore people for talking about the event...then post a thread to talk about it. Ok. Now, you may say this thread isn't actually about the event, but rather about having some alternative method for folks with issues. Ok, that's fine. But wouldn't that apply to all gameplay, not just the event? And wouldn't that require them to come up with some alternative for every single mission they have already made and will make going forward? Or do you only think there should be an alternative for one specific thing that you are personally interested in? I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just asking how far you would want this to extend.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    Craptic doesnt care about minorities.. Not ingame ones like kdf or pvp and not rl-ones like ppl with disability..
  • Options
    tick0tick0 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    "I have told my in game friends that if they talk to me about the event at all now, I will temporarily put them on my ignore list."

LOL, hilarious!
    star_trek_razzle_dazzle_by_schematization-d37701m.gif
    @f4tamy | Sad Pandas
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    How does Cryptic go about having a "Handicapped Only!" race?
    What proof will a player have to offer they are in fact, handicapped?
    And, I am also wondering, how one apparently handles the rest of the game content just fine? Since this complaint has not been brought up before?
    Why has disabled players having difficulties with races, such as the shuttle race in Delta Rising, not been an issue until now?

Oh. Waitaminnit. Free T6 ship for minimal gameplay time and no outside cost. Yeah, that's it.

Just when I thought these forums could sink no further, someone lowers the bar. Again.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    if you are talking about the pvp race? that isn't required for getting the ship...

as for the solo race... well aside from the 'no opponent' option, have you read the guides on it? This race is really really simple if you use either the jump or tumble tricks, and its almost impossible to loose once you use those.. Gorn are slower than any other playable species in game but they can win this race easily with either of those tricks.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    There is the lobi route to obtain the glossy pictures and skip the race completely.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    You just have to be patient. I have a disability myself. I am blind in my left eye and while sometimes the race frustrates me, eventually I get the NPC Breen which I have no problems beating. I am determined to get that free ship as I've never won a Breen ship before
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    if you are talking about the pvp race? that isn't required for getting the ship...

as for the solo race... well aside from the 'no opponent' option, have you read the guides on it? This race is really really simple if you use either the jump or tumble tricks, and its almost impossible to loose once you use those.. Gorn are slower than any other playable species in game but they can win this race easily with either of those tricks.

Which part of 'motor skill issues' was it that was hard for you to comprehend?

Now I don't have motor skill issues on good days, but on bad ones where my arthritis is flaring then I do. Yesterday I had such as day and the pve race for the ship was undoable for me. The pvp race is actually more doable as long as I only go for placing in it, even after 1st place is done I have a full minuet to get to the finish line which means I can jog the whole way which is about as fast as I can go. Jogging the entire stretch is not an option in the pve race which on bad days is something I can't complete.
    Given that my problem is only intermittent I should be able to complete the race 25 times and get the ship, but a lot of people with motor skill issues have the all the time so they have little to no option of completing the race and getting the ship.

And no, the summer race is not "basically the same thing". It has a 10 minute time, much longer than this race, which gives even disabled people plenty of time to complete it. Furthermore the summer race is not based on having as good reflexes as the winter race demands.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    There is an alternative, buy the vouchers with lobi.

The rules of a game are not generally changed just because a player comes along who is unable to perform. I'll never get the type of people who demand guaranteed wins. What's the point of playing a game if you're going to win no matter what? Might as well watch the game on youtube.
    ilithyn wrote: »
    And no, the summer race is not "basically the same thing". It has a 10 minute time, much longer than this race, which gives even disabled people plenty of time to complete it. Furthermore the summer race is not based on having as good reflexes as the winter race demands.

The summer "race" is not a race at all, its literally jumping (flying) through hoops.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Although I'm very sympathetic to your request you can't possibly expect Cryptic to privide alternatives for every single group out there. A game with hundreds of thousands of active players may be able to affort programming alternatives to cover most people with disabilities but this game has maybe 10'000-20'000 active players AND it's free2play. You need to understand Cryptic's position as well.
  • Options
    rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I totally support the one who opened the topic.
    Yes, sometimes strategy, repeated trying and efforts help, but like for the 1st poster, sometimes there is no way. I actually thought about that recently even if I can eventually complete the solo race now (I had multiple dozens of fail tries before 1st success on 4/12 and I think that frustration pretty much showed on zone and fleet chat then, though for me strategy, friends, and those multiple dozens of tries eventually helped. But not all can do that run, it's a fact. For others, it will NEVER ever be simple).

To the second poster: as I understood, it's not even about winning the PvP race, it's about merely being able (or not) to finish the solo PvE race at all, as the only "free" option to get a ship. And possibly some other similar "hard" limitations. I am ok with "winning" 2 tags instead of 12 in each and every PvP run ("winning" 2 is what which happens if I am "lucky" to catch the flag, btw), personally, but this beside the point. Not all can finish the PvP race at all (flag grabbing is the hardest part for most, I think) and while it's nice to have, an epoh is not a reward of the scale of a ship and is not crucial :) Nobody have asked for a free win here (especially on others).

People have their different style, pace and ways of enjoying the game, different ways of showing their skills. This should be in my opinion an integrated approach in the game. Time, efforts and using other skills should be rewarding as well at least for crucial (PvE) rewards. Having so many players (and encouraging diversity :)) should mean considering this more, not less, IMO.
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    While it "sucks", the PvE race periodically throws you a "no opponent race", in which you just have to navigate the track at a jogging pace and not run out of bounds.

If this is not possible for you (and/or your patience), then the only provided alternative is to invest in piles of lobi to buy the event tokens...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I wish there was some way that those of us who were good at the race could help. Aside from having someone give you the winter currency (which can't be done because it's character bound) or having them run the race for you on your account, there is no real good solution here.

I do want to say though, those of you that assume that Cryptic doesn't care or that they make the game intentionally difficult for people with disabilities are out of your mind. They're a game company, they make the game with the intention of appealing to the broadest range possible. While it's unfortunate that there are some that physically can't complete the game, it takes a lot of nerve to suggest this was somehow intentional and that they don't care or enjoy punishing people that can't handle the race.

It would be nice if on a case by case basis they would just give some people the ship. It's a 'free' ship anyway, it wouldn't hurt anything.. if they waited 25 days to do it, no one would even know. The only other real solution is giving a method where other players can help. If I could run one of my alts once a day and give you the rewards, I would gladly do it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    sunseahl wrote: »
    This is why i said on TiE that I don't participate unless i'm guaranteed 3rd place. it's rediculous to be expected to race a bunch of peopel constantly over the ONLY winter mark grinder. Summer event has two...

i'll say it again for emphasis...

THE SUMMER EVENT HAS TWO

One you race for... and one you can pay 150 favors to get an egg for.

At LEAST put the damn tags back in snowpiles.... after sifting 4-5 stacks of snowballs to test if there even was a "return" of them to snow... yea... not really and if so they're so rare that i'm not even gonna waste my time collecting ten stacks of snow to get 1 frelling tag.​​

I don't think they should put them back in or you'll just have people farming them again...purchasable from the Ferengi on the other hand would be a fine idea.
  • Options
    yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    Let's take it as a given that for most of us the Fastest Game on Ice is a formality, a contest in which victory is a foregone conclusion.

That being the case, there is no reason Cryptic shouldn't provide an alternative channel to fulfilling that daily "jump through the hoop" that doesn't require Mario Kart skills, unless somebody can present a clear and compelling case why a small minority of users who are physically unable to deal with 'twitch' tasks must be barred from the big prize that everybody else gets.

Just as a random example, you could use the 3x2 slider lock puzzle that appears elsewhere in the game, perhaps with some festive seasonal artwork. Put it on a shared cooldown with Fastest Game so people can do one or the other, but not both. The slider puzzle is easy enough that most of us can complete it, hard enough that it sinks the right amount of time, and it's untimed so players can take as long as they need.

It's also an adaption of existing code, so it might be possible to push it out this year. It might not be soon enough to complete the project, but people could at least slot the ship and get started on it and then finish it next year.

Another alternative is to give the standard reward to everybody who completes the course, no matter how long they take to do it, but offer additional rewards on top of that for speedy completion. The additional rewards don't have to be starship tokens -- they can be epoh tags or holiday bric-a-brac. If they're feeling especially generous, hand out a grand prize for daily fastest times, like a five-pack of lockbox keys or an exclusive winter jacket with racing stripes.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    yukonsam wrote: »
    Let's take it as a given that for most of us the Fastest Game on Ice is a formality, a contest in which victory is a foregone conclusion.

That being the case, there is no reason Cryptic shouldn't provide an alternative channel to fulfilling that daily "jump through the hoop" that doesn't require Mario Kart skills, unless somebody can present a clear and compelling case why a small minority of users who are physically unable to deal with 'twitch' tasks must be barred from the big prize that everybody else gets.
    The compelling reason - it's a game and it supposed to provide challenges. Should the Puzzles in missions like Dust to Dust be simplified or removed entirely because someone can't beat them? Should I be able to activate invulnerability mode so I don't need to worry about NPCs killing me and don't have to activate any potentially epilepsy inducing powers to beat my enemy?
    Where do you draw the line?

Or should instead people send Cryptic documentation proving their disability and thus only select customers get access to easier modes of game?

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    absolutely support the OP here....the whole concept of the star trek decency would surely insist everyone can participate equally
  • Options
    lordbeefy7 wrote: »
    absolutely support the OP here....the whole concept of the star trek decency would surely insist everyone can participate equally

If that is the point you want to make, fine; but that would apply to everything, not just this event. So if you really want to make that point, you are asking them to rework the entire game.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Although I'm very sympathetic to your request you can't possibly expect Cryptic to privide alternatives for every single group out there. A game with hundreds of thousands of active players may be able to affort programming alternatives to cover most people with disabilities but this game has maybe 10'000-20'000 active players AND it's free2play. You need to understand Cryptic's position as well.

That's how I see it as well. Which game out there does actually provide methods to circumvent regular game functions for disabled people? While certainly this is an understandable request and certainly is a field the game industry needs to start scouting out and surveying how they can ease accessability for disabled players right now I don't know of a single videogame which is not specifically tailored toward a certain group that offers any kind of function to help out handicapped people, aside from maybe a colour pallette swap for colour blind folks.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    The compelling reason - it's a game and it supposed to provide challenges. Should the Puzzles in missions like Dust to Dust be simplified or removed entirely because someone can't beat them? Should I be able to activate invulnerability mode so I don't need to worry about NPCs killing me and don't have to activate any potentially epilepsy inducing powers to beat my enemy?
    Where do you draw the line?

Or should instead people send Cryptic documentation proving their disability and thus only select customers get access to easier modes of game?

There's no challenge in Fastest Game for people with average or somewhat below average motor skills. It's a "jump through the hoop" task with unlimited tries. It's a gate that only locks out a small group of people, one that has more challenge in their day-to-day lives than most of us could imagine.

It takes ZERO away from anybody else to offer an alternative way to EARN a ship that utilizes a different skill set. An untimed puzzle would fit the bill nicely. Most people will opt to do the race instead, because most people are allergic to thinking. And the few who feel a posterior ache that somebody might get a ship without running in circles can comfort themselves with the knowledge that this is already an option for the wealthy. Life goes on.
  • Options
    pappy02upappy02u Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    If we go with in game tech they could make the Breen like the mission giver on Bajor that gives the two holo-deck simulation pick both but only need one to complete. Then the alternative mission could be a task based or collect mission like complete tides of Ice and a snowball fight or retrieve a snowman bat'leth and phaser or something.

As for those who say they can't because they would have to provide alternative to all mission. They already do, it's the team up function. Can't complete a part of a mission then ask someone to team up and complete the part you are having trouble with. We have had that request from perfectly able in real life but not so much in game people, in our fleet and armada already. Heck I was doffing in sector space when someone asked me for help on a mission they couldn't complete and couldn't get any help from their fleet, they are now a fleet member.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    yukonsam wrote: »

Just as a random example, you could use the 3x2 slider lock puzzle that appears elsewhere in the game, perhaps with some festive seasonal artwork. Put it on a shared cooldown with Fastest Game so people can do one or the other, but not both. The slider puzzle is easy enough that most of us can complete it, hard enough that it sinks the right amount of time, and it's untimed so players can take as long as they need.

It's also an adaption of existing code, so it might be possible to push it out this year. It might not be soon enough to complete the project, but people could at least slot the ship and get started on it and then finish it next year.

Another alternative is to give the standard reward to everybody who completes the course, no matter how long they take to do it, but offer additional rewards on top of that for speedy completion. The additional rewards don't have to be starship tokens -- they can be epoh tags or holiday bric-a-brac. If they're feeling especially generous, hand out a grand prize for daily fastest times, like a five-pack of lockbox keys or an exclusive winter jacket with racing stripes.

These are all good ideas. Cryptic wants us to log in and visit the Winter Wonderland every day then complete a hoop-jump. There is no good reason there has to be exactly one hoop that is tied to having good motor skills. An ice cubes slide puzzle, an ever-changing snow maze, scanning 10 ice-nomalies, whatever could be used as a second method to earn the ship.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edalgo wrote: »
    I feel for you OP. I really do...

But.....

Isn't PVP about competition?

This topic has nothing to do with PvP. The Fastest Game on Ice is not a PvP event.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    pappy02u wrote: »
    As for those who say they can't because they would have to provide alternative to all mission. They already do, it's the team up function. Can't complete a part of a mission then ask someone to team up and complete the part you are having trouble with. We have had that request from perfectly able in real life but not so much in game people, in our fleet and armada already. Heck I was doffing in sector space when someone asked me for help on a mission they couldn't complete and couldn't get any help from their fleet, they are now a fleet member.

That is a valid point. Here is the next question: if there is a simpler/easier way to complete an event, wouldn't everyone(or most people) just do that? And what happens when someone who has a different issue wants a simpler/easier version of that?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg