test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rattler's Guide to Fastest Game on Ice

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    That's what this thread is here for! Centralized location for tips and tricks.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    A couple helpful tips (and repeats of above):

- A roll is a great way to kill your sliding motion and set a new direction all in one go.
    - You don't need to sprint the whole race - sprint on straights, slow down as you come to a turn.
    - The fringe of snow along the edge of the ice course (approx. a meter wide) gives you extra traction for slows/turns.
    - You can completely turn your character around, or sideways, and run in that direction to change your course. You still have to work off your current 'vector', but I often turn fully for my next straight before I hit a corner - by the time I reach the actual turn, my course has changed to the new direction and I just keep going. (What most people call 'drifting')
    - You don't have to wait for the start countdown to finish, or the buzzer to go off. As soon as your root wears off, go!

- I haven't 'proven' it with tests, but like other posters I found certain shapes Q can turn you into to be good for the race. The big white targ (or whatever it is) and the Undine shapes seemed pretty good, and I have seen a lot of people use the wraith/ghost one.
    - If you get a 'fast' opponent, as Azrael605 said, just disqualify, and restart until you get a slower one. I think some of the spider/bug ones are the slowest, but try them until you find several you can beat.
    - If you see someone else running the race, try running along behind them and do what they do (turn, run, slow, roll etc) for practice.
    Post edited by tribbulater on
    All very good tips.

Just need some way to make sure this thread is visible for everyone.
    @pwlaughingtrendy I'd like to ask if you have any ideas on how to keep this thread visible without constant bumping.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Just learn to drift. Its easier than memorizing the entire track where to do what. If you drift through the corners you can sprint the whole way and the NPC is hopelessly slow in comparison.

Alternatively, roll at the corners to halt your momentum. Its slower but still allows you to sprint the whole way.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Also... there are ways to kill momentum when sliding. One is the bunny hop

I've found that jumping to cancel momentum is the single most useful thing you can do. Run flat out to a point, jump to a halt, turn, then run flat out again, repeat.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I've faved this thread...with this, I MIGHT actually have a shot at the ship this year. I don't need the ship for any of my toons though...only for Admiralty and/or a trait.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited December 2015
    Faving doesn't stop it from dropping off page one though...
    Gonna have to keep this thread alive somehow.

To any new readers of this thread, see page 1. Good tips and tricks there!
  • alexhaydenalexhayden Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    As this will be my fourth visit to Q's Winter Wonderland and my first attempt at going for one of the Breen ships can I just say a huge thank you to Rattler for coming up with this thread? If I hadn't have read the tips I would not have known that I'd need to get some practice in on the course before trying the race.

Thanks again. :)
    You're welcome. B)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    if you want to keep this on page one, i'd suggest sending a PM directly to trendy and asking her to sticky it; considering the content, i'm sure it would be in a heartbeat

maybe you could even ask her to write up a quick blog referencing this topic so more people who just visit the forums for the news and never go into the actual hive of scum and villainy end up seeing it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Awwwwww Cute !
    You went to all that trouble. :smiley: What a sweetheart.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    I've faved this thread...with this, I MIGHT actually have a shot at the ship this year. I don't need the ship for any of my toons though...only for Admiralty and/or a trait.

Wow, I'm surprised you've never mastered the race Gul.
    I would've thought you'd be a pro at it.
    Never assume I guess.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    - I haven't 'proven' it with tests, but like other posters I found certain shapes Q can turn you into to be good for the race. The big white targ (or whatever it is) and the Undine shapes seemed pretty good, and I have seen a lot of people use the wraith/ghost one.
    - If you get a 'fast' opponent, as Azrael605 said, just disqualify, and restart until you get a slower one. I think some of the spider/bug ones are the slowest, but try them until you find several you can beat.
    In my experience, Breen ensigns, and the Glikarma ice spiders are fastest. Talarian hook spiders are kinda slow.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    I know we can't USE regular ground weapons in QWW, but do mods on the weapons have any value? Since the speed bonus for rolling with the 8472 armor works, it seems they might, but...

Just thinking about the [Run] mod.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    I've never used a crafted ground weapon other than my TR-116 so... I don't know. Never played around with a [Run] mod.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    There is absolutely no need to bunny hop or roll in this race or the Fast and the Flurious, especially the latter. Both races can be easily won at full sprint. As has been said you need to learn how to counter your momentum.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    I know we can't USE regular ground weapons in QWW, but do mods on the weapons have any value? Since the speed bonus for rolling with the 8472 armor works, it seems they might, but...

Just thinking about the [Run] mod.
    gear passives work.

For the snowman fights: My #1 bit of advice is to use regen armor. Anything that can restore your HP during combat works. The Jemhadar armor is great.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mmankeimmankei Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Loved that movie. "Wait, I just realized something... This entire mountain? Is covered in... SNOW!!!!"
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • neeko69neeko69 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Awesome job Rattler. Love the map :)
    neeko69 wrote: »
    Awesome job Rattler. Love the map :)

You're welcome.
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Killing your momentum by rolling or jumping is a great way to make it take longer to get from point A to point B.
    /channel_join grind
    Killing your momentum by rolling or jumping is a great way to make it take longer to get from point A to point B.

Maybe, but you also have to consider that its either that or slide out of bounds and have to start over again in some cases. Taking a bit longer would be preferable to having to start over.
    rattler2 wrote: »

Maybe, but you also have to consider that its either that or slide out of bounds and have to start over again in some cases. Taking a bit longer would be preferable to having to start over.
    Definitely. Even better would be for that person to simply practice with the frosted boots until they understand the drifting mechanics at a level where they can control their trajectory and plan out their next couple of vectors without having to halt their moment or going out of bounds.
    /channel_join grind
    This thread is full of tips and tricks, and I believe drifting was mentioned.

That's what this thread is for, providing useful tips from veterans in a friendly enviornment. Not everyone is going to be able to master drifting, so alternative tactics may come into play.
    Right, but getting better is optimal. You'll know you've gotten better when you no longer need to use rolls or jumping as a habitual tactic, and your shorter race times will reflect this improvement in your skills.
    /channel_join grind
  • neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Now if Cryptic would only fix how people can overlap each other when starting, causing one person to fail....

huh... had not known about this. Never quite caught all the way up to the person in front of me. gotten ahead of their opponent, sure. gotten to where I could see them, yeah. passing, not quite.​​
    I think they're talking about two people trying to "Signal Race Official" at the same time.
  • fletch57fletch57 Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    I tried five times,lost five times.didn't leave the track once.since last year Iv'e noticed when you have a breen,dog,etc racing with you,the game well fail. only being alone you will win. if this is a bug,fix it please.
    It isn't a bug, I've beaten every NPC on the track at some point or another. I'd recommend actually reading through this thread and using some of the pointers given.