test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rattler's Guide to Fastest Game on Ice

rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
Hello all! Rattler here with some good tips for everyone's favorite gripe, the PvE daily race for the ship.

Now most veterans will already know how to run it, but every year threads pop up about how hard the race is. This year I have decided to head off these threads and provide tips and tricks for everyone! Other veterans are more than welcome to share their tips as well. It is the holiday season, and we are all players in the same game. We veterans used to be new as well after all.

Now... one thing to remember about Fastest Game on Ice is, you don't actually have to RUN the entire track. You're on Ice. It will be slick. Running flat out full speed will mess you up. Especially in the turns. However... there are places where it is safe to run. Also, the edge of the track is NOT a brick wall "you cross you fail". There is some leeway allowing for some minor corner cutting.

Race%20track.jpg
The lines indicate places you can run full out. The rest of the track will work with just basic jogging. It will take some practice, so I would suggest going a couple dry runs before taking "Fastest Game on Ice" to get a feel for the track.

Also... there are ways to kill momentum when sliding. One is the bunny hop. Just a short jump and you won't slide. Another is doing a roll. Just be aware that as you are on ice, it will take a moment to build up momentum again.

The NPC you are racing is pretty much on a rail and unaffected by the ice, but will not change speed.

Any more tips from veterans are welcome.

Happy holidays and see you in Q's Winter Wonderland!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMgleUxD9w
db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

Comments

• Options
    delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    God bless you. Thank you, sir.
  • Options
    You're welcome.
    Now if only we can get a sticky for this. lol
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    one thing about the bunny hop - make sure you take your finger off whatever key you are using to move forward (be that W, the up arrow or some weird key that no one else has ever used for movement in the history of video gaming) BEFORE you jump, otherwise you will continue sliding instead of coming to a dead stop​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    Assign Ice Boots to your taskbar and activate it on the full sprints then deactivate them just before doing your hop or roll.

Alternatively, equip the Ice Boots and just walk most of the race; being aware of your skid rate with them on so that you can time it to glide straight into pointing into the next turn.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It IS possible to sprint the entire race and NOT fail, the trick is to memorize the course and use drifting to redirect your momentum in curves. To do this right you need to precisely estimate the amount of course correction before entering the curve.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I would advise against ice boots, thatll make it worse, and you dont need them.

What i do is jog, not sprint, from corner to corner where the markers are, and you can go on the outer edge where the snow is without going out of bounds.
    And when the countdown starts press your foward key and you can start before the breen says go and youll get a head start from your competitor.
    Doing this works fine, maybe with a lil practice.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    You can do it at a dead sprint.

Hold down both mouse keys for forward motion + steering. Tap <shift> in the straightaways for speed.

As you approach a corner, aim your toon in the direction you want to go. Make it look like you are running in place while sliding sideways. Double-tap 'W' when you hit the curve and they will break the laws of physics and immediately somersault straight in the direction they were facing.

With practice, you can turn square corners, arrest all skids, and always come out pointing in the right direction. It only looks like you're losing a lot of time when the somersault brings you to a dead stop. In reality, it's not any slower than sliding in a wide arc around every curve. You can beat the AI opponent every time this way.

And thanks, OP, for the illustration of how to straighten out the curves. That is solid advice right there.
  • Options
    hanover2 wrote: »
    And thanks, OP, for the illustration of how to straighten out the curves. That is solid advice right there.

You're welcome. I figured a tip thread would help everyone. Well... at least everyone on the forums. Hope everyone likes the provided music too.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Another piece of advice: let Q change the way you look. This might be placebo, but I found the course much easier flying it as a Fek'Ihri than running it.

Also don't spam the start counter when multiple players are there. If you are the first to spam it, you will start the race off the track, thus an instant disqualification, thus having to pick it up again.

Other than that: don't panic, you got infinite runs.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Are you sure you don't get forced out of form now at the start of the race? I thought that feature was added one year. :/

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    gulberat wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't get forced out of form now at the start of the race? I thought that feature was added one year. :/

As far as I know its always been an issue. If there's too many people trying to get in, someone's gonna get disqualified because it doesn't put you on the track.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    gulberat wrote: »

As far as I know its always been an issue. If there's too many people trying to get in, someone's gonna get disqualified because it doesn't put you on the track.

I mean forced out of whatever shapeshifted form Q gave you.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    Oh that... no. It doesn't force you out. I enjoy running it as a Sehlat cub. KITTY RAMPAGE!
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Thanks for doing this. I done it a few times since the first Breen ship. This should help the new comers on how to do it better.

Jumping and rolling does help on the turns and drifting. So I do a little bit of both. Usually the first few rounds is tricky until I get the rust off me. Then I'm really fast on it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Good advice for novices. I will add that with practice you can run flat out through the course. You need to use a bit of skill to run in the opposite direction you are sliding not a 180 but just enough to counter the slide. It's tricky but can be done with practice.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    An etiquette request. If you see someone standing at the race coordinator, don't cut in front of them. Wait your ******* turn. Form a line if there are crowds. And pick a different spot to loiter if you don't intend to race.

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    An etiquette request. If you see someone standing at the race coordinator, don't cut in front of them. Wait your ******* turn. Form a line if there are crowds. And pick a different spot to loiter if you don't intend to race.

True, this is what I do if I see a line there. I just wait until they all gone then click on the race coordinator.

Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    It IS possible to sprint the entire race and NOT fail, the trick is to memorize the course and use drifting to redirect your momentum in curves. To do this right you need to precisely estimate the amount of course correction before entering the curve.
    Yes, and it is so much faster...before they made the ship reward account-bound I use to do this for all of my alts. So happy that now you only do it once per character and ALL your alts would get the ship. But for me there is no other way to do it than just sprinting the whole race...it also helps that way when you do The Fast and the Flurrious.

Lots of peeps are afraid of sprinting and just have to do it like anything else...more practice makes perfect.
    dino1-4.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Something I've found of great help is equipping the counter-command exo-armour as it gives you a speed boost after a roll. So rolling to stop on corners and then sprinting will get you miles ahead.

Also, the track is freely open 24/7 so just go find an quiet instance with barely any players and keep practicing to learn that track. There's a lot of places where you can run flat out and learning the most efficient route with corners you can cut really helps you out.

Also on that final hairpin north of the gazebo on the map it's possible to cut the entire corner by going over the ridge between the two parts of track. Be careful not to cut too much as you can get disqualified but it is possible and cuts a huge bit of the final section.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    Thanks for the tip, I might actually be able to get the ship this year.
  • Options
    farmallm wrote: »
    True, this is what I do if I see a line there. I just wait until they all gone then click on the race coordinator.
    Or zone hop until you find a quiet one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Meh, I'd rather save that for races where I tried and failed.(every now and then I'll get a lag spike when racing)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Never heard of that trick...
  • Options
    papasezpapasez Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Excellent, thank-you OP and all tip providers for taking the time to share this info. I struggled last year before throwing my hands up and walking away. Armed with these tips I'm confident I'll get this years ship with a minimum of fuss.

Thanks again!​​
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    Be careful not to faceplant into the supports as you go under the gazebo right before the finish line. Coming to a dead stop, losing your momentum, and having to move sideways (or worse, backwards) to free yourself can cost you the run.

There is a ground trait that gives a small boost to run speed. Slotting that can really help in the straight line runs Rattler has marked on the map. Also, a new item that can be crafted that we didn't have last year is a weapon with the [Run] tag. Personally, I found the winter boots to cause many issues and avoid using them but your luck may vary based on skill.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    there are actually TWO ground traits that boost run speed now; the delta one that gives +5% run speed, and one of the new terran ones that gives +melee damage and run speed (don't recall how much of each, though)

i think some of the command spec passives give extra run speed as well​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    The Delta Rep is the Tier 1 Physical Conditioning. Thanks for answering my question before I could ask it. Also thanks for the guide. Always shy away from the race as it seems too hard.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    there are actually TWO ground traits that boost run speed now; the delta one that gives +5% run speed, and one of the new terran ones that gives +melee damage and run speed (don't recall how much of each, though)

i think some of the command spec passives give extra run speed as well​​

Thanks for the tip there! I will have to go read the new traits.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!